• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Personal Weaknesses

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
I thought it would be interesting to discuss what personal weaknesses you think you have and possibly other people could offer solutions to your weaker points.

My three weaknesses I perceive are:

1. Never use the shield...Seems really alien to me and I never use it except to drop grenades as Snake but it also means I don't dodge either. Game's too fast for me to think defensively.

2. Don't use grabs much...On previous games I did but on this I don't use grabs much as its easier for me to just use KO moves which seem to have more precision for me than grabs.

3. Tend to get into patterns...I get into patterns of what moves I do. So with Toon Link I tend to ignore the bombs or with Snake I have to remind myself there are grenades or for Bowser his powerful down B. Then after I realise it I start focusing on using the move I ignored mainly. I need to work on using moves appropriately.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I don't go vs aerial people too well :l

though, I'm working on that one, lol.

Levitas

the moon
I have this tendency to be susceptible to dashgrabs in late game due to the way I use my shield. don't tell anyone.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
I must learn to follow the DI correctly (out of Utilt & Dthrow especially) with my Kirby to do combos again people who knows the R button and also learn to use Kirby's complex neutral B (DI following + use the powers I steal correctly). I think I should do better spacing too, and try out spaced Bair+reverse neutral B as a spot dodge punishment.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
When I'm losing constantly, I start to get smashed out and my bad habits get even worse. So I just start becoming predictable. However, eliminating those habits is a sign that I'm greatly improving.

Good thing I almost never lose consistently :)

Nanaki

Smash Lord
I used to be godawful at DI. I used to DI down and toward the stage on EVERY hit, thinking it made me live longer. Silly n00b.

I still suck at punishing moves that aren't glaringly punishable (MK's DSmash on block, for example).

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I airdodge too little.

Also, I tend to get distracted a little if the player I'm playing against is a cute guy. :3

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
- I airdodge way too much.

- I airdodge to momentum cancel instead of using an aerial like you're supposed to.

- My DI isn't very consistent. Sometimes I can do it properly; sometiems I can't.

- I use grabs (especially shieldgrabs) too often.

- I can't powershield very well.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
I airdodge too little.

Also, I tend to get distracted a little if the player I'm playing against is a cute guy. :3
lol @ the 2nd part.

- I airdodge way too much.

- I airdodge to momentum cancel instead of using an aerial like you're supposed to.

- My DI isn't very consistent. Sometimes I can do it properly; sometiems I can't.

- I use grabs (especially shieldgrabs) too often.

- I can't powershield very well.
The 1st one is pretty bad, as it doesn't cancel your momentum at all. You should really try to stop doing this.

The combination of the 3rd and 4th are a pretty bad combination to have, lol. I have that problem online mostly, when I try to shieldgrab stuff and get lagpwned.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
My worst weakness: Forget sometimes what I will do to Kill my opponent.

Don't tell Anyone...

lol

;)

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
When I play Kirby I bair when I was supposed to bair.

Really deep metagame for Kirby, yeah, all kinds of **** can go wrong if you don't use the right bair at the right time.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I go for the kill too much when the opponent on high percents. I just get way too impatient and start throwing out random shuttle loops and dsmashes all over the place.

Afro Boy2000

Smash Journeyman
I go for the kill too much when the opponent on high percents. I just get way too impatient and start throwing out random shuttle loops and dsmashes all over the place.
I do this too but with anyone.

I also always approach my opponent, even with a campy character.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I almost never try to go for the gimp.

I also can't seem to maintain a lead well.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I feel pressured when Im losing badly OR winning badly lol Then I make all sorts of mistakes and usually get more frustrated (if losing)/nervous (if winning)

I shield way too much

I broke my rolling habit but it comes back up when Im nervous :(

Wario :laugh:

highfive

Smash Lord
=Weaknesses=
1.) Have a horrible edge game. Can't make it back to the stage with interference.
2.) My ground game is horrible but if I can get you in the air your mine.
Any tips?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
sasukebowser said:
Anyway, I've come to a point in this game where I've had enough and am about to make a big decision.
I think I'm going to start planking.
Really.
It's because EVERY match I play
EVER MATCH
I get like, 50%+ from every time I go offstage and have to recover back onstage.
And this reallllly ****s me up mid-match.
I get ***** by edge guarding. I'm pretty sure everyone that has played me knows this. I've tried sooo many ways around it, but there never seems to be anything that works for me. Even though it works for a lot of other people. I'm just too predictable?
Idk, but I'm just going to do it if someone hits me offstage (if I decide to start doing it). It's really, really annoying me and getting to me. =(
I'm not just going to run offstage and do it, like ever. ONLY when I'm going to get edge guarded. Because I'm tired of losing matches I shouldn't lose because of this.

Pretty much this.

cheesdog

Smash Cadet
Someone want to clarify "planking" for me?

My weakness only hits when I get bored and move to one of the characters I dont play much. I get caught up trying to do a single special move for the win instead of finishing as the opportunities arise.

Luigis super uppercut, ganons punch, jigglys downB, etc. When they work it is uber satisfying, but a lot of times they are just dodged and I am left waiting to get hit.

O and one other funny one, I like metoer smashes, and I am good at them, but sometimes I forget that characters like sonic and TL just die (TL works against inexpirienced players but good ones air dodge) when I try so I suicide at least once every time I use them.

OP: PRACTICE SHIELDING AND GRABBING! Especially shield grabbing. Great way to catch quicker characters and for heavyweights it is one of the fastest attacks you can use when someone is in melee range. Except gannon and is T-rex arms....

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Planking is a form of stalling where you stay on the ledge while replenishing your invincibility every second by regrabbing. Characters like MK are really good at this. It was made famous in tourny set between Plairnkkk and a Falco (SK92) hence the name. Falco isnt good at handling Planking, so he lost.
It discourages people from approaching since your in such a strong position which makes it even more deadly if you have the percent lead.
So yeah, there was talk a while ago of banning it cause people were winning actual tourny matchs by planking against characters who didnt really have a viable way of countering it. But I think all thats been put to rest and everyone (or at least almost everyone) excepts it as part of the Brawl tourny scene.
Hope that cleared up your question.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
- I am a lazy brawler. If a match is lasting too long, sometimes I just get bored and give up

- I don't counterpick very well at all. :urg:

- Good Warios and Olimars really mess with me.

=Weaknesses=
1.) Have a horrible edge game. Can't make it back to the stage with interference.
2.) My ground game is horrible but if I can get you in the air your mine.
Any tips?

What character do you main? Different characters require drastically different tips. One suggestion is that you could just learn a character with a fantastic recovery, like ROB or MK. Other than that, just remember to mix up your recoveries so you don't get predictable.

cheesdog

Smash Cadet
Wouldn't a defense against planking be to just back up and wait? I will look for a video. If it is a strategy I am sure its on youtube. Thanks for the headsup! And I know this isnt the place for this discussion so I am done. Back to weaknesses!

::EDIT:: Nevermind I get it. It only works if the other person is trying to get back on. I think it is a legit tactic personaly. It would piss me off if someone else did it but eh....dont let them knock you off ;-)

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
I play a character who hasn't prgressed in months.

Seriously, though, I need to learn to punish more. I attempt to punish, only to fail and be punished.
I need a better offstage game, both gimping and recovering.
I need to learn how to handle my bad matchups better. Game & Watch, Olimar, and Falco to name some.

Amalgam

Smash Rookie
I need to pay attention to my position on the screen more, as i sometimes forget where I am or get my position mixed up with my opponents.

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
-My aerial game is absolutely horrid
-I'm too headstrong and rush in without thinking
-When I do think, my fingers can't react fast enough to fall through which leads to my poor muscle memory and reflexes
-Sometimes I just can't think fast enough
-I get bored real easily and begin to play sloppy
-Too self conscience when facing other competitive players
-Far too predictable and readable

Most of all, a flying little masked gremlin that is the equivalent of Jason (friday the 13th) junior on a sugar rush:ohwell:

Tamoo

Smash Master
Wouldn't a defense against planking be to just back up and wait? I will look for a video. If it is a strategy I am sure its on youtube. Thanks for the headsup! And I know this isnt the place for this discussion so I am done. Back to weaknesses!

::EDIT:: Nevermind I get it. It only works if the other person is trying to get back on. I think it is a legit tactic personaly. It would piss me off if someone else did it but eh....dont let them knock you off ;-)
Nah thats not quite it,
Planking is employed when you have a percent lead over the other player, or a stock lead.
Then you plank and take minimal damage whilst potentially damaging ur opponent whilst protecting yourself, and running down the clock until the time runs out.
Therefore, you cant just sit back and wait because if you do, you will lose due to having more percent or less stocks otherwise

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
My personal weakness is not maining Metaknight playing too defensively with Diddy (if being too defensive is possible in Brawl)

Martel Hammer

Smash Apprentice
I can't punish. Not even a Lucas Usmash (okay, not that well).
I suck at edgehogging. I also can't seem too gimp to well.
I tend to over rely on certain moves. If I'm Marth, Fsmash. If I'm Falcon, Uair. etc, etc.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I tend to go frenzy when I hit an opponent instead of being smart and play defensive. It works sometimes, but for example with Marth, one mistake or one tipper off and I'm in trouble.

Kilik 64

Smash Rookie
-I start playing worse as my enemy's damage percentage gets higher, throwing out Ike's stronger kill moves way more than I should leaving myself open way more.

Top Bottom