• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PC Gaming: Humble Bundle Discussion

Gea

Smash Master
Pretty much any major release uses the 360 controller on PC as default. Best way to use a ps3 controller is motionnjoy emulating it as a 360 controller. So yes.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Thanks for the answers. I was just wondering because some games just don't seem to work well with keyboard and mouse (for example, it was pretty difficult to drive in Sleeping Dogs with keyboard and mouse, though when it came to combat I didn't have much trouble. However, considering you drive a lot in that game I just switched to the 360 controller).

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Pretty much any major release uses the 360 controller on PC as default. Best way to use a ps3 controller is motionnjoy emulating it as a 360 controller. So yes.
Yeah, use motion joy is you want to mess up your drivers.

:phone:

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Can someone report back on Forge? I don't think I voted for it, but it looks potentially good.

D

Deleted member

I'm looking into getting a gaming laptop for Christmas this year. What I'm looking for is a laptop that runs most modern games well, is not too much of a burden to carry around, and costs not much more than $1500 maximum. My folks and I have been browsing ourselves, but I figured some of you might know this stuff better than I.

sounds good especially for a game based off a television series/comic book.
It actually doesn't have that much of a connection to either. About three characters that appeared in the show or comic are in it, and I think that all of them are introduced in the first episode.

Especially nice, since I've no familiarity with either. :bee:

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
I'm currently using an Asus G73 that was 800 on eBay. I know that they have newer models like the 74 and 75, but I think they're in your range.

The problem is that it's quite big at 17.3 inches of a screen with two fans on its behind. I'm not sure how much you want to carry. Mind you, I can carry mine, but I have a backpack.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Asus G73 is the Cadillac of gaming laptops imo, can't ask for a better machine ive had mine for almost 2 years and i even dropped it and broke the screen and Asus's warranty covered a free repair plus shipping

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Lenovo is a pretty good brand to carry around. I just bought a Lenovo 2617. So far, I've had no complaints. There is most likely something out there that beats my laptop out, but it works for me.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well, I have a Lenovo Y560 Ideapad which is about a year or a year and a half old and it's run all games I've attempted to run with the exception of Deus Ex and Witcher 2 which both had mouse lag. Handles Skyrim pretty well. It costed me somewhere around that much, maybe a little less. With that in mind, any laptop that meets the specs of mine (google it) or exceeds it should do fine.

D

Deleted member

The Basement Collection, Cave Story+, and Offspring Fling have been added to the Humble Bundle.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm nuts, but the Humble Bundle just rubs me the wrong way. I'm either ripping developers off, or a sucker for paying too much. Pay-what-you-want just swells PC gamers' already over-inflated sense of entitlement.

I want the indie market and PC market to thrive and the Humble Indie Bundle is just bad for business. I don't know why any dev would participate without a minimum price.

inb4 charity. If I wanted to give to charity, I would give to charity. I don't need people giving away their goods for pennies on the dollar to motivate me to do so.

D

Deleted member

Exposure, I suppose. If someone likes a game they got from a Humble Bundle, they might be inclined to buy more games made by those developers.

Using the current bundle as an example, Edward McMillen, who worked on The Binding of Isaac and The Basement Collection, has Mew-Genenics and The Binding of Isaac Reborn coming up, and Klei Entertainment, who made Shank 2, just released the PC version of Mark of the Ninja and the beta for Don't Starve.

Kal

Smash Champion
Maybe I'm nuts, but the Humble Bundle just rubs me the wrong way. I'm either ripping developers off, or a sucker for paying too much.
Not really. The games have a marginal cost of 0 or near-0 so, at least in theory, you're never paying too much. However, in practice, the idea is that you can get more money from people who would otherwise not pay for these games at all; I tend to pay above the average just because the price is low. Most of the time, these are games I otherwise would not purchase (e.g. Saints Row The Third from the Humble THQ Bundle).

Pay-what-you-want just swells PC gamers' already over-inflated sense of entitlement.
I'm sick of hearing this nonsense. What makes PC gamers "entitled?"

I want the indie market and PC market to thrive and the Humble Indie Bundle is just bad for business. I don't know why any dev would participate without a minimum price.
Any evidence for this at all? THQ's stocks rose 40% after putting their games on the Humble Bundle, and typically quite a bit of money is made from these bundles in general.

inb4 charity. If I wanted to give to charity, I would give to charity. I don't need people giving away their goods for pennies on the dollar to motivate me to do so.
inb4 you have no clue what the **** you're talking about.

D

Deleted member

Any evidence for this at all? THQ's stocks rose 40% after putting their games on the Humble Bundle, and typically quite a bit of money is made from these bundles in general.
Correlation does not imply causation, and I'm not even sure if it's technically correlation. I doubt that investors give a rip about the Humble Bundle.

Kal

Smash Champion
Haha, you have to be kidding me. The stocks went up almost immediately after the Humble THQ Bundle launched.

Regardless, there is no evidence that the Humble Bundle is harmful in the least. Most of the games on there are either relatively unknown or have been out for a while, which is sort of the point; those games have gotten most of the customers they're going to get anyway. So most Humble Bundle purchases are from people who probably weren't going to buy the game.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
You are conveniently leaving out the part where, after the stock spike, THQ went bankrupt, the stock tanked, and they're being delisted from the NASDAQ.

Kal

Smash Champion
And you think that has anything to do with the Humble Bundle? Hopefully not, but it's a hell of a lot easier to mention than to come up with an actual response to anything I've said.

The Humble THQ Bundle was likely the reason for their short-term stock increase, but it did not generate enough revenue to get them out of their financial troubles. This is not the same as "Humble THQ Bundle is just bad for business."

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The Humble Indie Bundle is just bad for business.
If it was so bad for business,why would they have been doing them since May 2010?

Wikipedia said:
Several of the bundles have brought in over $1 million; the fourteen completed bundles as of August 2012 have raised more than $19.5 million.
The THQ Bundle raised over 5 million. That's not bad for business.

Kal

Smash Champion
Well, strictly speaking we don't know how much was given to THQ and how much was given to Red Cross, but it's probably safe to assume the default 65/20/15, which means they probably made about $3.25 million, which is still good for business.

Anyway, Humble Bundle just gave me Steam keys for The Basement Collection and Cave Story+, but I already have both games on Steam. Does anyone want these?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd want Cavestory+ but I don't think I remember my steam password

Edit:Well, at least I remembered it

D

Deleted member

Haha, you have to be kidding me. The stocks went up almost immediately after the Humble THQ Bundle launched.
There's a correlation between ice cream sales and drowning.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is there any good turn based RPG's on steam?

Kal

Smash Champion
There's a correlation between ice cream sales and drowning.
There's really nothing more annoying than the non-constructive poster who goes around accusing everyone of confusing correlation and causation. Seeing as "that only proves correlation!" is a universal fallback argument equivalent to sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting, I don't really know what to say. If it rained in Tennessee the day the stocks rose, and I said that the rain in Tennessee caused the stock to go up, I'd say you had a point. But a 40% increase in stock prices following the release of the bundle, when the bundle was specifically intended help THQ with their financial problems in the first place, suggests a causal relationship.

However, once I die I'll be sure to ask God what he thinks, since I lack the omniscience to convince you.

Kal

Smash Champion
I don't think I ever called it a fact, though I think you're pushing into that sort of obnoxious, epistemologically nihilistic territory where you simply refuse to acknowledge anything as fact. Which is ok; I can't say with absolute certainty that THQ's stock rose about 40% that day because of The Humble THQ Bundle, but I see no better explanation, and it's an explanation that is not far fetched. Humble Bundle gets released, so sales figures go up, so stocks go up. And then the stocks go back down (and, sadly, THQ declares bankruptcy) because of the gap between the bundle and their next release (which I think is in March).

D

Deleted member

I don't think I ever called it a fact, though I think you're pushing into that sort of obnoxious, epistemologically nihilistic territory where you simply refuse to acknowledge anything as fact.
I think you're overthinking this, but then again, so am I. Let's just drop the subject, it's not going to go anywhere pretty from here.

Kal

Smash Champion
Or, we can shift the debate to epistemology! Cogito ergo sum.

Top Bottom