• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Path of Radiance: Ike Guide and Strategy Discussion

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Nah, up throw doesn't do enough hitstun for combos.

It wasn't VI, it was the hitstun. When you could hit them, they got sent too high.

At best, you get an air dodge punish. They can just jump out AFAIK

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It registers as a combo in training mode. It's primarily rage-dependent more than hitstun. It's easier to combo out of than dthrow above middle percents.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
With vectoring being altered, Rage might be altered, too. All I know now is that vertical KOs are easier.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
I'm really liking the Ike buffs and the Vectoring/ DI changes. Ike feels like he could be an actual threat now.

TKD

Smash Lord
Every character is good if played well except like 5 of them at most -maybe-. And I think Ike is one of the better ones post-patch excluding Diddy who we should probably ban in tournaments until he gets nerfed. I'm not sure how he didn't get nerfed in .0.4 considering him and Rosalina were the only suspects of being overpowered (Sheik too, according to most mediocre players but I think she's still good after the nerf so w/e).

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Thanks to the people in the competitive forums, I learned that Ike's fair was sped up from 16 frames to 11 frames, making it his 2nd quickest aerial. It's now better than nair in every way except for combo starters, catching rolls, and whiffs.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Random specials tweaks, notably aether Z offsets.

^What does that mean?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Random specials tweaks, notably aether Z offsets.

^What does that mean?
Every hitbox are off center by an X, Y, and Z coordinate. I was confused why Z was changed, but I learned that it was actually the X coordinate and the labels for X and Z were switched. That means that the move reaches farther.

D

Deleted member 269706

Anyone here know of any Ike montages out there? Or at least a channel which has some good gameplay?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's X, so it's horizontal I believe. It's really hard to make out what's what with just the numbers.

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
So now that the wii U version is out I love Ike again! Also anyone else notice how retreat aerials are like weirdly timed? Idk I try to retreat fair and sometimes Ike goes forward or doesn't move at all when I'm clearly holding back.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So now that the wii U version is out I love Ike again! Also anyone else notice how retreat aerials are like weirdly timed? Idk I try to retreat fair and sometimes Ike goes forward or doesn't move at all when I'm clearly holding back.
C-stick set to smash halts your aerial movement if you're holding it down. This doesn't affect attack stick users.

REMINDER:

Uthrow->Uair DOES kill lightweights and mid-lightweights at 70-90 with low rage and it's unavoidable if timed right. Above that, you have to read their defensive option, but they have very few frames to respond.

Last edited:

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
C-stick set to smash halts your aerial movement if you're holding it down. This doesn't affect attack stick users.

REMINDER:

Uthrow->Uair DOES kill lightweights and mid-lightweights at 70-90 with low rage and it's unavoidable if timed right. Above that, you have to read their defensive option, but they have very few frames to respond.
I didn't know that about the attack stick. I used that in brawl but haven't really felt the need to do it in here but now I do so thanks San.

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Does downtilt still stage spike if they were on the ledge?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I was wondering why playing on the Wii U felt a bit different than on the 3DS. I realized that on the 3DS, I was holding forward+back for my aerials, while on the Wii U I was kinda just stalling in the air around the same spot.

Ike has great aerial speed, but poor aerial acceleration. I recommend considering going all in on jumps more often. This means holding full forward/backward when jumping and reacting accordingly. Ike can fast fall to the ground almost immediately, so jumps aren't too much of a commitment if you can react in time.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I was wondering why playing on the Wii U felt a bit different than on the 3DS. I realized that on the 3DS, I was holding forward+back for my aerials, while on the Wii U I was kinda just stalling in the air around the same spot.

Ike has great aerial speed, but poor aerial acceleration. I recommend considering going all in on jumps more often. This means holding full forward/backward when jumping and reacting accordingly. Ike can fast fall to the ground almost immediately, so jumps aren't too much of a commitment if you can react in time.
Did you end up switching the c-stick to tilts? I'm considering that because I don't see how the smash stick is better for Ike.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Did you end up switching the c-stick to tilts? I'm considering that because I don't see how the smash stick is better for Ike.
Yep, I used attack stick in Brawl, too. I am happy that tilt stick is viable for use on the ground, since spamming it in Brawl made you jump/double jump.

This just in: DACIT is back, fellas. Make sure to practice it. Dash + C-stick down + move control stick up and grab button at the same time. Throwing forward is hard, but you hold diagonal up+forward, and time cstick+grab simultaneously.

This move:

Last edited:

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
inb4 DACIT's taken out too. I guess their "fix" for DACUS was to change something about Usmashes and only Usmashes. Still good to know.

D

Deleted member 269706

Yes it's height dependent. If you release QD around the height of the apex of a fullhop you land with zero lag.
There's actually a pretty decent range where it auto cancels, much easier to figure out than some of his other auto cancels.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Not necessarily. Full hop distance is only for uncharged QD. The more you charge it, the closer to the ground you can release it since you'll be in the air longer. Most QDs back to the stage are very easy to autocancel/minimal lag, especially for stages like Battlefield or Lylat Cruise where you can get to a platform easily.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Not necessarily. Full hop distance is only for uncharged QD. The more you charge it, the closer to the ground you can release it since you'll be in the air longer. Most QDs back to the stage are very easy to autocancel/minimal lag, especially for stages like Battlefield or Lylat Cruise where you can get to a platform easily.
What I'm really curious about is how does getting a hit effect the lag.

By the way, I want to make a collection of technical drills for Ike. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
What I'm really curious about is how does getting a hit effect the lag.

By the way, I want to make a collection of technical drills for Ike. Any suggestions?
Make sure you can:

-Combo from dthrow from 0-50
-Combo from uthrow from 20-70
-Combo from nair from 0-60
-Combo from dtilt at 25-40

Practice spacing with retreating fair/bair, understanding when they autocancel. Understand general followups from aerials, dtilt, and jabs.

Last edited:

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Yep, I used attack stick in Brawl, too. I am happy that tilt stick is viable for use on the ground, since spamming it in Brawl made you jump/double jump.

This just in: DACIT is back, fellas. Make sure to practice it. Dash + C-stick down + move control stick up and grab button at the same time. Throwing forward is hard, but you hold diagonal up+forward, and time cstick+grab simultaneously.

This move:
HNNNNNNNNNGH thank you Sakurai

megamain

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-1300-6153
Here is my gameplay footage of my Ike. I decided to pick him back up a few days ago just out of the blue and this is the first match. Gameplay tips are greatly appreciated. I have more video uploading as I type.

Ike vs Marth
http://youtu.be/xrD1jNRz7Vo

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
inb4 DACIT's taken out too. I guess their "fix" for DACUS was to change something about Usmashes and only Usmashes. Still good to know.
I´m pretty sure, that it will be removed in a following patch.

D

Deleted member 269706

Here is my gameplay footage of my Ike. I decided to pick him back up a few days ago just out of the blue and this is the first match. Gameplay tips are greatly appreciated. I have more video uploading as I type.

Ike vs Marth
http://youtu.be/xrD1jNRz7Vo
Hey nice video! Since you wanted feedback, I guess I'll give you both the good and the bad.
Good:
  • Great job reading the enemy
  • Good use of counter, grabs, and Dsmash
  • Good job with Eruption, I don't see it used much.
  • Great job playing defensively.
Bad
  • Didn't see many aerials - Ike's aerial attacks are where he really shines. Use Nair for catching rollers, zoners, and basic combos. Bair and Fair are great for kills. Dair is a great attack for building damage, but risky to use.
  • Didn't see many tilts - Dtilt especially is great for starting combos. Ftilt and Utilt are good for kills, but take a while to start up.
  • Didn't see many combos. Try Dthrow > N/Fair or Dtilt > N/Fair

megamain

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-1300-6153
Thanks for the feedback! I've been playing with him more and I've gotten a little better. I've had a ton of great matches and I started doing some of the things you said. I'll record some tomorrow, upload it and post it here for you guys to see my progress. There's an online tourney coming up for me and ike will probably be my secondary with Robin as my main.

Top Bottom