• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Path of Radiance: Ike Guide and Strategy Discussion

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
How should I be approaching the Dedede matchup? I'm not sure how to deal with gordos being tossed at me without putting myself at blatant risk of being grabbed, for one. But in I think I need reassurance on how to tackle this MU in general.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
You can Jab 1 those gordows, there is no risk.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
You can Jab 1 those gordows, there is no risk.
If he tosses them to travel slower horizontally he can approach from behind it. How is there no risk?

-RedX-

Smash Lord
If you jab the Gordo while he's chasing it, it'll force him to shield. If he's already in front of it, you should either SH retreating Fair or Bair.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
If you jab the Gordo while he's chasing it, it'll force him to shield.
And won't he be able to shieldgrab me afterward? Or does jabbing the gordo send it into his shield?

-RedX-

Smash Lord
He should be in shield stun/push when blocking the gordo so he shouldn't be able to grab you unless you commit to something unsafe afterwards.

TheNinjaLord

Smash Rookie
How do I do all of the movesets in the Moveset Overview section? (Sorry for noob question) (Just the buttons pressed with default Wii (not U) controller for the moves would be appreciated)

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
How do I do all of the movesets in the Moveset Overview section? (Sorry for noob question) (Just the buttons pressed with default Wii (not U) controller for the moves would be appreciated)
It depends entirely on how you customize your controls. The Wii controller is severely limited so I can't really point out anything specific. I do recommend at least attaching a nunchuk if you're comfortable with the Wii controller, just so you can more easily differentiate between tilts and smashes. Most Wiimote+Nunchuk users also customize their controls to optimize their playstyle, but I can't recall exactly which choices were the best.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Bump (don't mind double post)

Basic combos added:

A lot of it is affected by rage. Anything that works in the vid will also work for any attack that you can pull off in the same amount of frames or less.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

Basic combos added:

A lot of it is affected by rage. Anything that works in the vid will also work for any attack that you can pull off in the same amount of frames or less.
Thanks for making it! Those high percent combos look useful to pull off.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

Basic combos added:

Gorgeous. Those combos off of u-air at the end surprised me the most, wow. I hadn't even considered using it like that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Basic combos added:

Appreciate your video San, looking forward to seeing you in action! (Great to see you posting on that channel after so long!)

goodomens182

Smash Rookie

Basic combos added:

Great video! I can already see a lot of extension possibilities from some of these. Looks really good.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So I need some help with Ike:

Approaching: What are some approaching option with Ike? I use aerial attack to approach, but the opponent will read my attacks and shield->grab.

Projectiles: What are good ways to beat projectiles? I play For Glory mostly, since I have no friends to fight for… so projectile users such as Falco or Sheik are a pain. I try using Nair approaches but again, shield->grab.

Eruption: I love this move, but I have trouble incorporating it or finding an opening to use it. I can practically use all of my other specials, but I can't find any use for Eruption. Any combos or optimal times to use it?

Thanks for your help.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So I need some help with Ike:

Approaching: What are some approaching option with Ike? I use aerial attack to approach, but the opponent will read my attacks and shield->grab.

Projectiles: What are good ways to beat projectiles? I play For Glory mostly, since I have no friends to fight for… so projectile users such as Falco or Sheik are a pain. I try using Nair approaches but again, shield->grab.

Eruption: I love this move, but I have trouble incorporating it or finding an opening to use it. I can practically use all of my other specials, but I can't find any use for Eruption. Any combos or optimal times to use it?

Thanks for your help.
I recommend trying out bair to approach. Ike's backwards jump dodges projectiles and (fresh) bair is pretty safe on shield if you attack right when you land this time around. You can also just land and turnaround jab, grab, or dtilt or not commit to anything and empty hop. If bair (or any aerial) is very stale, I definitely recommend being a bit more patient.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I recommend trying out bair to approach. Ike's backwards jump dodges projectiles and (fresh) bair is pretty safe on shield if you attack right when you land this time around. You can also just land and turnaround jab, grab, or dtilt or not commit to anything and empty hop. If bair (or any aerial) is very stale, I definitely recommend being a bit more patient.
So short hops and quick jabs. Is Dash->Shield viable?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So short hops and quick jabs. Is Dash->Shield viable?
It's been nerfed, but it gets the job done when needed. It's now more easily punishable when overused, but still a somewhat safe option.

D

Deleted member 269706

Found this video of Ike (could be considered NSFW based on certain language): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l27aG3-C0g
This guy posts some great Ike material on a regular basis, I'd highly recommend spending some time on his channel for you aspiring Ike mains.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Noticed a small visual glitch when full charging SideB. When Ike gets hit during the red flashing, he'll get knockbacked and retain the flashing. Might be a small graphical glitch, might be something else but I can't test anything.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
I seem to be having trouble landing the Fair/Uair followups after the Dthrow. It works on some people, but folks who know what they're doing tend to be able to airdodge before they get hit. Is it just a matter of adjusting accordingly and changing my timing to hit them?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
With the reduced blastzones, edgeguarding with Dsmash is actually really good now. The second hit can cover getups and rolls.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
With the reduced blastzones, edgeguarding with Dsmash is actually really good now. The second hit can cover getups and rolls.
Does it still push Ike off the edge if it was shielded and Ike is like right at the edge? Is it best to use it facing the edge or away?

D

Deleted member 269706

Can Ike's side-b ever be safe on block?
If you hit someone who is shielded with QD (quick draw), chances are you will be punished. The one thing to note is the height at which the move auto-cancels, which is around the height of a full hop, experiment with it a bit in training. (Jump > QD (charge doesn't matter), hit the ground and react ASAP). Of course, there is always the possibility that it will be nerfed/buffed in an upcoming patch, so look out for that.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Does it still push Ike off the edge if it was shielded and Ike is like right at the edge? Is it best to use it facing the edge or away?
Facing the very edge is easier, and you have less lag compared to usmash and eruption with similar reward. 2nd hit of dsmash is still decent for a hard punish, but the first hit of dsmash at the likes of Smashville or Town & City will kill at 70 partially charged against a midweight. Still situational, but at least it's a viable move with good reward for the read.

D

Deleted member 269706

Ugh, today I came across a Toon Link who used nothing but Boomberang, Grab, Up special, and Usmash. How am I supposed to get in there and punish him? He would pummel me until I fell out and end up killing with a throw...I was able to punish him, but with all those rolls, it was really hard to get any killing hits. In the end I lost 2 games against him, won one...I hate losing to such generic tactics, any tips?

Last edited by a moderator:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ugh, today I came across a Toon Link who used nothing but Boomberang, Grab, Up special, and Usmash. How am I supposed to get in there and punish him? He would pummel me until I fell out and end up killing with a throw...I was able to punish him, but with all those rolls, it was really hard to get any killing hits. In the end I lost 2 games against him, won one...I hate losing to such generic tactics, any tips?
Smart use of aerials wins out, both against his attacks (outside of zair) and his projectiles. Toon Links also like to jump and cover their landings with air dodge/zair. Our aerials go through boomerang, so we can successfully bait air dodges much more easily. I also think our aerial speed at least matches or exceeds TL's now, so we can control space. For bombs, we can hit them with the edge of our aerials and we won't get hurt. We can also catch and instant toss them (air dodge + throw at the same time). If he continues to roll, just push him towards the corner. If this is wifi, it's tough to punish rolls, so focus on the easy stuff for when he's in the air and when he's landing.

Last edited:

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
I'm having a hard time using Ike, I just picked him up today and I'm losing a lot,
Not sure if it was the matchups that contributed or just the fact that I don't know how to play properly.
So far I've faced Toon Link, Falco, Sheik, ZSS, and Gannondorf.

I'm having trouble getting in and racking up damage.
I think I'm too heavy fingered and end up fsmashing and dsmashing when I mean to tilt, and I keep screwing up spacing, is there an efficient way to train this or would I just have to keep practicing?

(also lag on FG is a pain).

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm having a hard time using Ike, I just picked him up today and I'm losing a lot,
Not sure if it was the matchups that contributed or just the fact that I don't know how to play properly.

I think I'm too heavy fingered and end up fsmashing and dsmashing when I mean to tilt, and I keep screwing up spacing, is there an efficient way to train this or would I just have to keep practicing?

The simplest thing to do would be to change your right analog stick/C-stick to attack and focus on a few solid tools at a time such as aerials and down tilt over smashes. Gotta get a feel for how his quicker moves can help lead into those stronger ones, especially since Ike can still kill fine without smashes. Then you can eventually transfer your general knowledge and skill from playing other characters and watch videos.

I do think that Ike is pretty poor under lag, but the opponent is also just as scared of you for getting in that 1 attack that kills them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

@ san. san. Thanks for the advice man! I wasn't aware that his sword was so great at just eating projectiles. I mean I noticed it, but I thought it was more luck than anything else, really glad you shared this with me!

Take it from a guy who mains Ike (or at least tries to), you really have to know this character before you can do well with him. A lot of his attacks do have lag, so you really have to work on reading opponents and picking up patterns. If it makes you feel any better, those are some of the worst MUs for Ike, in my opinion anyways (Fox would also be on that list however). Thing is, those characters are either way faster than Ike, have more range (due to projectiles), and/or hit harder. In the end, your play style is going to be different against each type of character. I'm not really the best guy to take advice from when it comes to specific match ups, but when you're going against them, play defensively. Aggression always gets punished, especially when that aggression has a lot of cool down.

Also, aerials are Ike's strong suit, they come out fast, and all do a fair amount of damage/knockback (excluding Nair which is great for starting combos, whiffing rolls, etc.) Since Fair and Bair autocancel relatively easily, make sure to use them a lot. I personally tend to avoid most of Ike's Smash attacks (aside from Dsmash just because it comes out quick, and I'll use Usmash once in a while). I think his best moves are Jab1, Jab2, Dtilt, Nair, Fair, and most of all, Bair. When you're playing Ike, you have to be thinking ahead. Just play around a bit, you'll get better with the timing/spacing.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
The simplest thing to do would be to change your right analog stick/C-stick to attack and focus on a few solid tools at a time such as aerials and down tilt over smashes. Gotta get a feel for how his quicker moves can help lead into those stronger ones, especially since Ike can still kill fine without smashes. Then you can eventually transfer your general knowledge and skill from playing other characters and watch videos.

I do think that Ike is pretty poor under lag, but the opponent is also just as scared of you for getting in that 1 attack that kills them.
Thanks I think I might try working on that.
It might also be that I get a little nervous and i have the mindset of "attack first before you get attacked" and i end up choking.

I have to get used to Ike's playstyle and his spacing the most.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
@ san. san. Thanks for the advice man! I wasn't aware that his sword was so great at just eating projectiles. I mean I noticed it, but I thought it was more luck than anything else, really glad you shared this with me!

Take it from a guy who mains Ike (or at least tries to), you really have to know this character before you can do well with him. A lot of his attacks do have lag, so you really have to work on reading opponents and picking up patterns. If it makes you feel any better, those are some of the worst MUs for Ike, in my opinion anyways (Fox would also be on that list however). Thing is, those characters are either way faster than Ike, have more range (due to projectiles), and/or hit harder. In the end, your play style is going to be different against each type of character. I'm not really the best guy to take advice from when it comes to specific match ups, but when you're going against them, play defensively. Aggression always gets punished, especially when that aggression has a lot of cool down.

Also, aerials are Ike's strong suit, they come out fast, and all do a fair amount of damage/knockback (excluding Nair which is great for starting combos, whiffing rolls, etc.) Since Fair and Bair autocancel relatively easily, make sure to use them a lot. I personally tend to avoid most of Ike's Smash attacks (aside from Dsmash just because it comes out quick, and I'll use Usmash once in a while). I think his best moves are Jab1, Jab2, Dtilt, Nair, Fair, and most of all, Bair. When you're playing Ike, you have to be thinking ahead. Just play around a bit, you'll get better with the timing/spacing.
I know the learning process would be different for everyone but I'm just curious, how long did it take you to get a good feel of Ike to the point where you were confident in your abilities with him?

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
I know the learning process would be different for everyone but I'm just curious, how long did it take you to get a good feel of Ike to the point where you were confident in your abilities with him?
I'm a Brawl Ike main and it took me several months to get good with him. Take my advice with a grain of salt since the Wii U version of Ike is pretty different, but I think they're similar in that they're both based off reads and safe play. You really need to understand what kind of delay you're going to have for each move before you decide to throw it out. He's not an easy champ to play by any means.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
I'm a Brawl Ike main and it took me several months to get good with him. Take my advice with a grain of salt since the Wii U version of Ike is pretty different, but I think they're similar in that they're both based off reads and safe play. You really need to understand what kind of delay you're going to have for each move before you decide to throw it out. He's not an easy champ to play by any means.
I see that now, Back in the brawl days I was never too serious with Ike, I liked him but I always felt he was "too slow"

But I see how great he could be because he hits like a friggin truck. I would love to definitely to go apex 2015 but I really want to be good with a main before I can even Consider myself good enough to even go. I really need to learn.

I think My main might just be Ike, I just have to practice hard with him.

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
Smashville's platform is so amazing when fighting someone at low %... Dthrow fair -> land on plat dtilt fair -> !??!!??!?!/!/!?

D

Deleted member 269706

Well I was an "Ike Main" in Brawl, but in all honestly, I really didn't know much about the character or any techniques. I basically spammed quick draw, dash attack and the Fsmash and Usmash. Never played it comp, just with friends, so I thought I was pretty good. (FG proved me very wrong!)

I started actually taking Smash seriously at the time of the Sm4sh release in October. I played online with Ike for that first month, but again, I still didn't really understand the character, or even the game for that matter. I didn't even start air dodging or grabbing until early/mid November. Because of this, my FG win rate at the time was pretty damn low (around 35% or so, most of my wins were probably with Rosalina who I used about 1/4 of the time). That's when I got more active in the forums, and got help from people like san. and Moon Monkey, and a bunch of others in these Ike boards, and started learning how the character worked.

I think I really became confident about a week or so after the 1.0.4 patch where everything got changed up. Spent a lot of time in training and playing online, and my win rate started to go up like crazy! I got it up to around 60% after about 1200 matches (I bet it would be a lot higher if I hadn't been such a noob so early on!). I mean I almost exclusively played as Ike, almost no one else, so I getting good with the character was a lot easier without being stuck in the mindset of another character. I'm still not the best, but I have seen a LOT of improvement. Make sure to spend a good amount of time in training practicing some generic combos, chasing your opponent off the edge with Fair and Bair, get used to the air combat, and you'll be just fine! Good luck bud!

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I started using Ike in Brawl after playing Path of Radiance (a few months ago. August I believe). I felt comfortable with him but he was nowhere near the level of my real mains. He feels a lot better now in smash 4, though.

Aside from learning Ike's combos, what you really need to do is understand smash in general. How to approach, how to edge guard, how to space, how to make it back on the stage safely (recovering low, high, or side B right onto the ledge while saving your second jump), and how to read in general.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
Well I was an "Ike Main" in Brawl, but in all honestly, I really didn't know much about the character or any techniques. I basically spammed quick draw, dash attack and the Fsmash and Usmash. Never played it comp, just with friends, so I thought I was pretty good. (FG proved me very wrong!)

I started actually taking Smash seriously at the time of the Sm4sh release in October. I played online with Ike for that first month, but again, I still didn't really understand the character, or even the game for that matter. I didn't even start air dodging or grabbing until early/mid November. Because of this, my FG win rate at the time was pretty damn low (around 35% or so, most of my wins were probably with Rosalina who I used about 1/4 of the time). That's when I got more active in the forums, and got help from people like san. and Moon Monkey, and a bunch of others in these Ike boards, and started learning how the character worked.

I think I really became confident about a week or so after the 1.0.4 patch where everything got changed up. Spent a lot of time in training and playing online, and my win rate started to go up like crazy! I got it up to around 60% after about 1200 matches (I bet it would be a lot higher if I hadn't been such a noob so early on!). I mean I almost exclusively played as Ike, almost no one else, so I getting good with the character was a lot easier without being stuck in the mindset of another character. I'm still not the best, but I have seen a LOT of improvement. Make sure to spend a good amount of time in training practicing some generic combos, chasing your opponent off the edge with Fair and Bair, get used to the air combat, and you'll be just fine! Good luck bud!
Thank's I'll start trying to do that, I just joined smashboards a couple days ago, but I can see how helpful the site and the community can be. Ive seen a couple vids of Ryuga and I watched Moon monkey's guide on ike this morning so I learned a bit, I've also had a few helpful replies from san,
I'm going to have to start playing a lot more.

Luckily I work right by nintendo world so I can practice Smash 3ds with anybody I find there, but I'm still in the process of looking for a place in NYC where I can play Sm4sh with people.

Top Bottom