• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Patch 3.0.0 - Persona Edition: Discussion Thread

Phoenix_is_OK

Smash Apprentice
This is product of a mediocre mindset. When your first reaction to this update is to quit and tell others that there is no point in pushing the meta, you are part of the problem as a player, because you've given up on growing. You are basically just waiting for the devs to rain that magical Kool Aid down from the heavens and fix all of your life problems rather than see what you can do better as a player.
Mate you clearly don't play Bayonetta. She isn't viable whatsoever and everyone who plays her, along with Mac, Ryu/Ken, and BJ players have every right to be upset.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
At this point I'm to believe that Mac will never get better. He needs a ground-up rework to be viable in 1v1.

Bayo as well. I think Nintendo is afraid of this character.

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
At this point I'm to believe that Mac will never get better. He needs a ground-up rework to be viable in 1v1.

What we all thought would happen to Meta Knight after Brawl (they would nerf him so much he’s completely unviable, and they would never make him good again) seems like what they’ve done to Bayo. I think they saw the reactions - from Nintendo NY booing her during the everyone is here trailer, to the E3 crowd booing her while she was doing ladder combos, to basically the whole Sm4sh community despising her and her mains...

Nintendo is scared of this character ever being viable again.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice

Little Mac's character attributes and general concept just don't jive with Ultimate at all, so yeah he's gonna need either a complete overhaul or some massive buffs.
As for Bayonetta, it's prob either Nintendo's or the smash developers stance/protocol since the abyssmal showing and reaction to Bayonetta players and their impact on the pro scene of Smash 4 scene.

Truth be told, given that so many people were complaining about Ganon after K.rool took the mantle of being the first designated Noob crusher and got nerfed pretty fast, I was afraid they were going to the same with him, but aside from the hurtbox increase, they thankfully let him be (though I certainely would appreciate if they fixed rock crocking and tweaked Ganoncide or Air-choke in some manner).

Speaking of, can anybody get some meaningful numerical data/values what these hurtbox changes ultimately mean for Ganon and Pichu? Also does the overall damage nerf on projectiles on shield effect shield stun at all or not?

Last edited:

Phoenix_is_OK

Smash Apprentice
What we all thought would happen to Meta Knight after Brawl (they would nerf him so much he’s completely unviable, and they would never make him good again) seems like what they’ve done to Bayo. I think they saw the reactions - from Nintendo NY booing her during the everyone is here trailer, to the E3 crowd booing her while she was doing ladder combos, to basically the whole Sm4sh community despising her and her mains...

Nintendo is scared of this character ever being viable again.
To add onto this because I agree here: (1.0.4 was 2 months into Smash 4 btw)
1555600974190.png

Meta Knight was one of the most buffed characters (prior to 1.1.5 which was 2 years into the game) in Smash 4, I'd argue he is the most buffed if it wasn't for Mewtwo and Marth. Very few characters have ever been hit this hard with any nerfs other than Jiggly from Melee to Brawl.

I was pretty upset when the news first came out lol, but I just gotta deal with it for now I guess. I just got to keep insisting on the status of the character, and hopefully something good comes of it.

Super happy for Corrin and Mewtwo mains, hot damn those look like spicy buffs. Also Sheik's needles going from 98 to 82 frames is definitely something.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
So these are prepatch projectile values are you looking into the post patch ones? Also I understand what shieldstun is the time your stuck in shield without being able to take any action but what is shieldlag in terms of projectiles?
There is no difference in block stats for those projectiles hence why I didn't list out all 50-something instances where there was no change. Except for the weird case of Samus and Mii Gunner's Charge shots getting better despite no buff being listed.

As far as I know, the "reduced power against shields" nerf only refers to reduced damage against shields. I was just covering my bases on what the change might be because once I patch my game I can't go back to test any other theories.

I don't know if it's not labbed yet, but what about Zelda's "nerf"?
It really isn't one in a regular match, but it would be nice to see the data.
Phantom does less damage to shields. I didn't find any other difference.

Phoenix_is_OK

Smash Apprentice
Here's a thought: Doubles Joker.

Team Attack could give you potentially infinite Arsene. Could we have a doubles Cloud issue here?

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
There is no difference in block stats for those projectiles hence why I didn't list out all 50-something instances where there was no change. Except for the weird case of Samus and Mii Gunner's Charge shots getting better despite no buff being listed.

As far as I know, the "reduced power against shields" nerf only refers to reduced damage against shields. I was just covering my bases on what the change might be because once I patch my game I can't go back to test any other theories.

Phantom does less damage to shields. I didn't find any other difference.
Thank you.

Team Attack could give you potentially infinite Arsene. Could we have a doubles Cloud issue here?
No because double Arsene doesn't give you access to a move that kills everyone at 60 off a teammates throw (Finishing Touch) nor makes who was already the 2nd best character in the game even better.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Maybe not to the same extent because you actually have to take damage to raise the meter. They'd almost be putting themselves at a disadvantage damaging each other constantly.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

Not without finishing touch.

Also, if someone lets two Jokers stand there and beat on each other long enough to charge the meter, that's on them. ;)

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
They made Roy's Blazer more consistent.

While Ken's Shoryu can still be SDIed out of.

**** it.

Time to just tier *****.

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
They made Roy's Blazer more consistent.

While Ken's Shoryu can still be SDIed out of.

**** it.

Time to just tier *****.
I said this the first patch about how they handle Ken's shoryu and Peach float aerials (which ignore the short hop multiplier despite not full hopping) should determine how much faith people should have in patches and the fact they haven't fixed either at this point says alot, yet people still thought the patch would water their crops or something. FWIW, the projectiles change was rather intelligent (especially when it came to parries) and they did fix other small things like DK's giant punch inconsistencies and swordies's dash grab so I still have a little faith that they can fix stuff.

Also, I recommend Greninja for your top tier needs fam.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Greninja takes thought though.

Lots of brain dead top tiers in this game.

Methacrylate

Smash Apprentice
shrooby shrooby and Gunla Gunla

Want to inform you that the numbers for Corrin's Up Smash are listed wrong in the patch post. Looks like the frames were copied and pasted from up special into the up smash part but the frames were not changed.

Currently its this:

Up Smash
  • Increased attack range of tipper sweetspot
  • Increased active frames (10-17F -> 7-17F)

It should be this:

Up Smash
  • Increased attack range of tipper sweetspot
  • Increased active frames (13-15F -> 13-17F)

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I take it then that when you perfect shield against a projectile, the reduced hitlag is beneficial to the one who perfect shielded. The only exception according to the Smash Wiki is the Charge Shot for Samus and Dark Samus, which have increased the hitlag on normal shields and perfect shields.

Also, a reminder to people who are upset over some of the changes, keep in mind that they were probably more concerned over getting Joker and Stage Builder into the game, but that if you consider the fact that once all the DLC characters are added we'll have 80 characters (counting Pokemon Trainer as 1 and the echoes as separate characters), we'll have a whopping 3,160 possible matchups in 1v1! It's a logistical nightmare. Not to mention the fact that they're balancing based off of Elite Smash is a step up from Smash 4 where they gave no buffs to the puff, and they are buffing bad characters like King K. Rool and Kirby.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Alright now we're set to document precise patch changes. Shaya Shaya

Bowser Jr
  • Jab 2 close hitbox delivers 13 frames of hitstun to Mario at 0% from 10. Far Hitbox is 11 frames of hitstun from 8.
Corrin
  • Usmash active hit frames now 13-17 from 13-15
  • Side B: When you pin the ground, the waiting period before you can choose one of the four options is now 13 frames from 15.
  • Up B is now invulnerable on frames 7-17 from 10-17
  • Neutral B: Uncharged shot lasts an additional ten frames (now disappears on frame 72) and has improved range as a result.
Diddy Kong
  • F-tilt active hit frames now 10-14 from 10-13
  • U-Air now deals 7.0 damage from 6,0
  • Dash Attack startup now 8/16/22 from 9/18/24.
    • Total frames now 40 from 42.
King K Rool
  • Down B total frames now 62 from 67
    • Counterattack now 42 frames from 47 (not counting freeze frames)
  • U-Air total frames now 71 from 81
Kirby
  • Usmash early hit damage now extends to frame 14. Late hit damage begins on 15, allowing Kirby to get the strong hit on targets above him instead of just in front.
  • Dthrow hits 1-9 damage now 1.0 from 0.8. Total damage now 12.0 from 10.2
  • Up B ledge snap in front of Kirby now begins on frame 33 from 36.
  • N-Air total frames now 54 from 62.
    • Autocancels on frame 51 onward from 56. Still autocancels on frames 1-4.
Mega Man
  • Down B: Leaf Shield creation startup now 9 from 7. Total frames now 35 from 34.
    • Leaf Shield throw total frames now 55 from 53
Mewtwo
  • Ledge dodge invulnerable on frames 1-27 from 1-23
  • F-Tilt damage now 11.0/10.0/9.0 from 10.0/9.0/8.0
  • U-tilt damage now 7.0/6.0/5.5/5.0/4.0 from 6.0/5.0/4.5/4.0/3,0
  • U-Air damage now 12.0/11.0/10.0 from 11.0/10.0/9.0
  • Jab 1 startup now 5 from 6. Total frames now 21 from 22.
Mii Gunner
  • Unlisted Change: Neutral B shieldlag now 8-23 from 8-17

Ness
  • Dsmash charging hitbox hits every 6 frames instead of 4. This should help avoiding getting two framed by it if you have a hitbox recovery.
  • Usmash charging hitbox also hits every 6 frames instead of 4.
Olimar
  • All of Olimar's Smash attacks now correctly have their damage increased with charge.
Roy
  • Ledge attack now deals 11 hitlag from 12. Shieldlag is unchanged at 8.
Ryu/Ken
  • Ledge attack now deals 13 hitlag from 15. Shieldlag now 9 from 12
Samus/Dark Samus
  • Unlisted Change: Neutral B shieldlag now 9-24 from 9-17
Sheik
  • Rapid Jab finisher total frames now 35 from 41.
  • Neutral B: Reaching full charge with Needles takes 86 frames from 101.
Snake
  • Usmash total frames now 54 from 50
Wario
  • Neutral B: Animation for Eating a projectile takes 25 frames from 35. Animation for eating a bike unchanged.
Do you have the frame data for Kirby's upsmash before the change?

Roy does not have a change to his ledge attack listed in Nintendo notes. Is this an unlisted change?

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Do you have the frame data for Kirby's upsmash before the change?

Roy does not have a change to his ledge attack listed in Nintendo notes. Is this an unlisted change?
The change is that Kirby's Usmash late hit used to occur on frame 14 and now it begins on 15. The early hit is on 12 (the move has 2 less startup compared to Smash 4). I can't say for certain that pre-patch had the strong hit on frame 13 now that you mention it I've just been working under the assumption that it did.

As for Roy, you're right that it's not listed in nintendo's patch notes, and...I just found the inconsistency. I forgot that the 1v1 multiplier affects hitlag. Roy's ledge attack hasn't actually changed. It will deal 12 frames of hitlag with the multiplier on and 11 with it off. But I can't confidently say if I had the multiplier off when I tested Ryu/Ken in pre-patch. The post-patch values I gave are correct with the multiplier off.

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
Because it's so out of place and weird I want to check, have the changes to Samus' and Gunner's charge shot determined through testing in training mode? Because electric moves are currently bugged in training mode (https://twitter.com/drafix570/status/1118910434004705281) so I was wondering if the shieldlag change is because of that. Also I noticed that it says that Snake up smash has 4 frames less lag, isn't it supposed to have 4 frames more?

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Because it's so out of place and weird I want to check, have the changes to Samus' and Gunner's charge shot determined through testing in training mode? Because electric moves are currently bugged in training mode (https://twitter.com/drafix570/status/1118910434004705281) so I was wondering if the shieldlag change is because of that. Also I noticed that it says that Snake up smash has 4 frames less lag, isn't it supposed to have 4 frames more?
Yes we have been comparing in training mode. But I already checked if the issue was exclusive to electric attacks and it's not. At least not on shieldlag which I actually have the numbers to compare to. Olimar's yellow pikmin attacks are dealing the same shieldlag between patches as are any other strong electric attacks I could think of. If that source is accurate, then there could be a bug in training mode (or a bug that's always existed yet nobody noticed), but only on hitlag. And it doesn't answer what's different about Samus and Mii Gunner's charge shots on shield.

Also you are right about Snake, those two numbers should be reversed because it's a nerf, not a buff.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Yes we have been comparing in training mode. But I already checked if the issue was exclusive to electric attacks and it's not. At least not on shieldlag which I actually have the numbers to compare to. Olimar's yellow pikmin attacks are dealing the same shieldlag between patches as are any other strong electric attacks I could think of. If that source is accurate, then there could be a bug in training mode (or a bug that's always existed yet nobody noticed), but only on hitlag. And it doesn't answer what's different about Samus and Mii Gunner's charge shots on shield.

Also you are right about Snake, those two numbers should be reversed because it's a nerf, not a buff.
Alright thanks for confirming. I'd guess that it's a compensation for the fact that those two characters no longer have shield break setups that they had before with their charge shots. One other thing, I see no mention of the buff to Deep Breathing, which was in the Nintendo patch notes and I've been told is real by a few Wii FIt mains.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey so... I know this is something very obscure but, in regards to Shulk.

download.png

I didn't actually think this through. I just rushed to upload all my replays via capturing them & downloaded the patch. If anyone has Ver. 2.0.2 still, I wonder if a change could be noticed with Shulk's Getup Attack ranges.

These are my results:
On-Back Floor Attack Screenshot 2019-04-18 23-06-11.png

On-Back Floor Attack Hit 2 Screenshot 2019-04-18 23-11-04.png

On-Stomach Floor Attack Screenshot 2019-04-18 22-58-13.png

On-Front Floor Attack Hit 2 Screenshot 2019-04-18 23-16-36.png

Can anyone test the previous patch for these ranges comparison? I can tell you the labbing procedure I used so it's faster.

Savage1

Smash Rookie
Besides the perfect shield thing, were projectiles really that good that they needed to be nerfed? Shouldn't it be the opponent's job to find a way to approach? The shield pressure just reinforced how important it was to find a means to approach. Were zoners really that op that so many needed a blanket nerf without too many buffs to other areas?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Besides the perfect shield thing, were projectiles really that good that they needed to be nerfed? Shouldn't it be the opponent's job to find a way to approach? The shield pressure just reinforced how important it was to find a means to approach. Were zoners really that op that so many needed a blanket nerf without too many buffs to other areas?
Not competitively but casually they might have been giving people trouble.

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
i'm not sure exactly what the change is, but something about the physics of toon link's zair was changed to make it straighter when you fastfall with it

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Mate you clearly don't play Bayonetta. She isn't viable whatsoever and everyone who plays her, along with Mac, Ryu/Ken, and BJ players have every right to be upset.
I play her on a regular basis, but not to the point I would consider her my main. I know she needs to be buffed, but that doesn't stop me from looking for ways to learn and do better as her. Also related, I mained Mewtwo in Melee and managed to become a breakout main in my region, never regretting sticking with him. And unlike now, there weren't any patches back then to fix him. So I know what I'm talking about, mate.
People have a right to be upset but they lack the will to do anything more about it,

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Changes not reported in patch notes, courtesy of Meshima [1] [2] [3]

Translation:
- :ultisabelle: Fishing Rod behavior changed (seems to grab while airborne always, but loses grab box if it hits the ground now? [1] [2])
- :ultzss: Flip Jump horizontal speed reduced (param changed 0.7 -> 0.5)
- :ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss: tether behavior changed (don't know of any specific details beyond this interaction existing)
- :ultwiifittrainer: Header's "start_air_speed_y" param increased 1.5 -> 1.6
- :ulticeclimbers: params added that result in easier Nana desyncs
- :ultvillager: Tree's map_collision changed
- :ultvillager: Bowling ball coordinates changed in fsmash
- :ultvillager: Coordinate change for grabbed fighters
- :ultryu::ultken: Minor animation change (head position) on shoryuken
- :ultkirby: blast zone detection while opponent is inhaled moved up and in ([10,-10] -> [4,-4])
- 一部ファイターで手前やられの座標変更 (something about changing foreground coordinates for multiple fighters; I think Screen KO positions, but someone else'll have to doublecheck that one)
- :ultrichter: Final Smash params now match Simon's
- :ultolimar: Unknown Final Smash param change

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
Has it been confirmed that shield stun for projectiles was decreased as part of the nerf? I keep seeing wild claims that shield stun was dropped too, when all the trustworthy sources only show damage was dropped.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I play her on a regular basis, but not to the point I would consider her my main. I know she needs to be buffed, but that doesn't stop me from looking for ways to learn and do better as her. Also related, I mained Mewtwo in Melee and managed to become a breakout main in my region, never regretting sticking with him. And unlike now, there weren't any patches back then to fix him. So I know what I'm talking about, mate.
People have a right to be upset but they lack the will to do anything more about it,
Posting videos on forums about weak and dysfunctional aspects of a character is all well and good, but the only way to really tell the devs if a character is too weak or strong is showing them by putting your theories into practice during actual games, be they tournaments or online play. Online complaints only get a passing glance by comparison.

xzx

Smash Lord
Did Isabelle's fishing rod get nerfed? (Looking at her frame data changes here.)

I find it an issue that Nintendo don't list all character changes. Maybe someone should datamine the changes so we know everything that changed, like in Smash 4?

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Gunla Gunla Can you please fix Snake's Usmash entry? The Total frames have been nerfed from 50 to 54, but the patch notes has this in reverse. Also, Ryu/Ken's ledge attack hitlag was changed from 15 to 12. The shieldlag entry is correct.

LGameTales

Smash Cadet
Stun jacket (the exploit in which, for example, countering Bayo's bullet arts would give Bayo 16 frames of freeze when she was hit again) appears to be missing in 3.0.0. A friend of mine claims it is still present in 2.0.2, which would mean it was just patched out.

Did Isabelle's fishing rod get nerfed? (Looking at her frame data changes here.)
If the hook touches the floor, the reel will be nerfed, yes. Otherwise, it's still the same. It also always grabs while it's dangling now, which is a buff.

Phoenix_is_OK

Smash Apprentice
Stun jacket (the exploit in which, for example, countering Bayo's bullet arts would give Bayo 16 frames of freeze when she was hit again) appears to be missing in 3.0.0. A friend of mine claims it is still present in 2.0.2, which would mean it was just patched out.

If the hook touches the floor, the reel will be nerfed, yes. Otherwise, it's still the same. It also always grabs while it's dangling now, which is a buff.
Are there any videos of stun jacket in Ultimate?

Edit: NVM found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1LAVRAay1Q

Last edited:

Phoenix_is_OK

Smash Apprentice
I edited the Smash Wiki page here to reflect the removal of Stun Jacket. https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_updates_(SSBU)/3.0.0_changelog This is an insanely minor nerf to most characters as it only effected one: Bayonetta.

Bayo's bullet arts are the only move(s) to be able to reliably use Stun Jacket on, making the removal a buff for her, seemingly unnoticeble buff for several characters, and a nerf that only really means anything if you are against Bayonetta.

Top Bottom