• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Splice

Smash Hero
lol I always tell myself I'm gonna try out the new MK or Diddy or D3 or Jigglypuff I've been practicing at the next tournament. Then I play against one person Is regarding to not be absolutely terrible as a player. and the Watch just comes out, and I don't use any other char for the rest of the tourney.

I tend to do badly when I do that though.

I've stuck to just the Watch for two tournaments, and last year I was considered top 4 in my state, And after a while of trying other chars and getting bored of the game I went down to 7th/8th, but in 2 tournaments I have become more motivated then I have ever been, and even though we haven't gotten a new PR yet I pretty much crushed everyone in tourney the other day lol, 'cept the new MK turned Marth main on the block lol ><

Hey HH, good to see you again! It has been a while!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Seeing Zac do well made me play with GW the other day and I was beating people worse than my IC's were o.O.

Makes me want to play him again sort of lol.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
=U

i'm picking up gws because my ICs are trash. been watching some vids of kaak. i previously only used him in doubles but i'm figuring out how to work him in singles now as well. been reading up on tricks/etc. with some of his stuff (not really worried about implementing it at this point, though).

anyway, just stopping in to say 'sup.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
In case nobody here forget it existed, I highly recommend learning the F-air ledgehop autocancel/Second Jump Renewal.

The timing on it is not actually that hard. And pretty soon I think I'll upload a match of my G&W where I put it to good use and actually manage to mindgame ViceGrip with it.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
In case nobody here forget it existed, I highly recommend learning the F-air ledgehop autocancel/Second Jump Renewal.

The timing on it is not actually that hard. And pretty soon I think I'll upload a match of my G&W where I put it to good use and actually manage to mindgame ViceGrip with it.
I want to see that.

Wait no...

I need to see that.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
had me right up until the last part. :ohwell:
Second Jump Renewal?

If you end an aerial command (any of the 5 aerials or airdodges) a frame (I think that's the only room) before you touch the ground, you get your second jump back. Bowser's Koopa Hopping is a very easy, forced version of it with his Klaw.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qIphhtzD0g

Watch the entire thing. There's a number of moments in both matches where I pull off the ledgehop F-air autocancel. And the thing is whenever you pull it off, you always have the option of doing ANOTHER midair jump.

It happens at:
3:20
3:33
7:40
8:08
8:34 (with the midair jump)

imo I believe those two matches demonstrate it being used extremely well. I apologize for being a bit ledge campy, but it was partly because I was refining my use of that AT.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think the timing for the F-air ledgehop autocancel is around 5ish? frames leniency just judging from what it feels like to me. Not actually that hard if you know how each step works. The most important part is learning to buffer Jump+midair attack frame perfectly, which is actually a 1 frame window, but between ledgedropping and then inputting Jump+midair attack, you have what seems to be like a 5 frame leniency to pull it off.

They way you know you're doing it right is because G&W makes a certain beep noise when he does his midair jump. The sound clip is skipped if interrupted by an aerial action frame perfectly.

Keep in mind, no matter how fast you edgehop, G&W cannot autocancel his F-air without the frame perfect Jump+aerial.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Heyo, guys. Sorry I haven't been here much lately. Only been checking one thread every so often. I move out for college in about a week. Phew. I'm kind of scared.

I have tried some new things with GnW.
Have anyone used the first tute (toot?) of GnW's upb to land kills? It works really well. I managed to beat Ka*in with it a few weeks ago. But pretty much the first toot only lifts the character up a bit and they don't have time to do anything. The only thing they can do is to jump away, but it happens so fast no one really reacts that quickly. But yeah, you use the first toot of uair (not the second it pops them up too high) and it allows you to use usmash or fsmash. It's a good way to land kills. Kind of hard to get off, though. It's easier if you are on a platform and you go through it with an uair. You can do it without doing that but you'll have to try and bait it if your opponent doesn't shield.
There were some other things, too but I want to test them out later when I can. I can probably show a video, too.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Well, I don't see why that wouldn't work.
But how I do it is I jump and just time it correctly and uair where the first part comes out but land so the second uair don't come out.
Pretty much going through a platform waiting a half a second and then uairing. It's all about timing, but it's not a hard timing to pull off.
You could probably do it with a shff, though.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Funny you mention that, becuase I just saw Kaak do that in the match of him posted on the previous page, and I was thinking of looking into it a bit when I could. Here is the link again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX-GIp6I7wM&feature=channel

It's at 1:26. He goes for a Dsmash afterwards, but misses. I was thinking we could probably fit something in there, and you just get on and talk about it, so yeah. Guess I'm too slow.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGa-7oEKs-s

Here is the video I did.
I can imagine it not working for dsmash. most peoples reaction would be to air dodge/hold shield. meaning they will land with an airdodge or end up power shielding the dsmash.
Like I said, this is pretty legit and got this on the best Wolf. It's hard to do not on platforms, but easy and good to do with the platforms.
I also got it on some wifi matches as well. It just requires timing.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah I used that quite a bit when I mained GW. It also works with just one or two hits of bair and I'm sure you guys know about the nair -> smash haha. It's definitely viable.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Heyo, guys. Sorry I haven't been here much lately. Only been checking one thread every so often. I move out for college in about a week. Phew. I'm kind of scared.

I have tried some new things with GnW.
Have anyone used the first tute (toot?) of GnW's upb to land kills? It works really well. I managed to beat Ka*in with it a few weeks ago. But pretty much the first toot only lifts the character up a bit and they don't have time to do anything. The only thing they can do is to jump away, but it happens so fast no one really reacts that quickly. But yeah, you use the first toot of uair (not the second it pops them up too high) and it allows you to use usmash or fsmash. It's a good way to land kills. Kind of hard to get off, though. It's easier if you are on a platform and you go through it with an uair. You can do it without doing that but you'll have to try and bait it if your opponent doesn't shield.
There were some other things, too but I want to test them out later when I can. I can probably show a video, too.
I've seen UTD Zac use that move for combos. I'm pretty aware of it, but I prefer N-air generally speaking for combo setups due to it's hitbox.

One random thing that I think is underused in Battlefield is U-air for platform pressure. Use N-air for damage dealing. Provided your U-air isn't too stale, use that move to kill your opponent vertically. Ideally, you want to be able to cause your opponent to slip off the platform with the first hit, and then that combos into the 2nd hit.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol ya it's one of those things you just happened to do. Actually going for it will get you punished. Besides, nair is always a better option.

In other news,in G&W dittos when u send the G&W offstage and they're trying to recover low,edgehog and kill em with uair=o,sweet kill! lulz.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I know U-air is iffy, but I think people REALLY overlook using it in platform pressure. Most of the time we suffer slightly in platform pressure because we only end up doing extra damage and resetting the situation with N-air (which is certainly good, but not powerful enough to be Marth class platform pressure). A well-placed U-air however is G&W's ticket to solving that problem by threatening the opponent with a high percent KO.

Obviously I don't think U-air is going to be as useful for kills on stages without platforms (especially like BF's), but on BF, which is arguably G&W's best stage, I believe it can be used better for that purpose.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Of course it isn't the best or safe. But it's still a little bit of something.
Ka!n was the only person I did it to throughout that whole day. (One time, one match, whole tournament.) But as you can see it got me somewhere.
Just because something is a better option doesn't exactly make it bad.
It's situational just be smart.
If you guys are thinking it like an every single time use then that's a poor way of thinking.
I also agree with A2.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Can someone test GW's hurtbox while floating in his parachute and moving? Because the norfair lava doesn't hurt GW while he is doing that, and that has been known since 08 but I've been getting my GW ready for teams and I've been recovering like armada does in melee by just leaving the chute open and floating down with it because he sways a lot and it can be hard for the opponent to hit you.

But while doing this I noticed several times it seemed like moves just..went through me. Like I was invincible. Move hit me out of it a couple of times but others just went through it and I'm really confused as to why. I'm guessing at some point during the animation his hurtbox shrinks to almost nothing..or something like that heh.

Noraa

Smash Lord
^^^ That has happened to me to Hylian and im interested in finding that out also.

={ pleaseee some one check on this.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Easier said than done. Especially since that is close to impossible.

Top Bottom