• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Splice

Smash Hero
Just had tourney, placed 3rd
:)

~30 players

Lost to Diddy Kong player, Tibs, twice :/
Diddy Kong is even harder when you dont know how to abuse their poor offstage game :c
I swear I could do it before!

Splice

Smash Hero
@ToC: Haha lol, well, in the games that I won I used Game and Watch xD

I'm just kinda picking up DK, you know, using him in the 2nd game of every match if i win game 1 because I am so confident in GaWs counterpicks. Except this tourney had Rainbow Cruise, Delfino, Halberd, PS1, and the starters, so if RC was banned I only had Delfino. Still confident on Delfino though!

Except, with RC banned, and having already used Delfino, in my 4th game against Tibs where I had to CP again, I had to resort to Halberd, which I hate. In retrospect I should have gone Lylat... haha, GaW counterpicking a neutral stage!

I only won one game with DK, that was against a Marth, and even then i lost game 2 with DK, switched to GaW for game 3 cp'd Delfino and 2 stocked him lol.

:) Don't worry I am still reppin' :gw:

I dont know if ANYTHING was recorded, but if it was ill post the upload links when they are uploaded.

Welcome back GTZ, help us keep the board active! Or maybe just this thread lol.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Sounds legit. I got 7th out of 14 in teams today, singles brackets are tomorrow. For singles we had four pools of eight (purely for seeding, everyone gets in bracket), and my pool had five MetaKnights. Ended up 5th, should have been 3rd. We'll see what kind of seed I get in bracket.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Good work Splice and ToC :bee:.

Everyone likes to CP MK:urg:.

All the character boards have loyalty to repping their main.

My Link is superior to my G&W, I barely lost to a Jigglypuff on the ladder; it had bad lag (cop-out but true). Then I CPed G&W on YI and was 2 stocked :facepalm:.
How should I land hits on Jiggly with her long reach?
How should G&W deal with MK's tornado?

I need to practice more in free play before my G&W is ready for competitive smash. My Link's good but it's Link:urg:; Brawl's too unbalanced.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Brawl isn't that imbalanced, link is just an awful character lol.

GaW outhits jiggs, rofl. We got the range on her, and we kill her so fast. Honestly if you practice vs a jiggs for a few rounds you'll see why it's so easy.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Brawl isn't that imbalanced, link is just an awful character lol.

GaW outhits jiggs, rofl. We got the range on her, and we kill her so fast. Honestly if you practice vs a jiggs for a few rounds you'll see why it's so easy.
Under A tier it grows more and more imbalanced ...and Link is awful. That was my first Jiggly fought using G&W. 'Not a good plan, lol. I need to practice in freeplay; I planned on learning my secondary characters in the ladder but loosing to Jigglypuff speaks for it's self.

Splice

Smash Hero
So ToC, you havent played in the bracket yet? Pools on a different day to singles?
Also I dont tend to hate MUs because they are bad for GaW, just how well i know them or how in practice i need to be to beat them. I know the MK MU very well and it doesnt take too much thought, to deal with the character at least. It's just Snake and Diddy that require me to be really on the ball ;C
And Ganondorf >:[

Also who do you team with (player/character)?

Teaming with Metaknights is a lot of fun! also other GaWs, and Wario. From my experience, lol.
I've been teaming with an MK for the past year, it's just so easy to make spur-of-the-moment team combos, and I can Bair opponents that are stuck in Nado without hitting MK. MK gets gimps and damage and GaW gets damage and kills as low as 80%

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Just had tourney, placed 3rd
:)

~30 players

Lost to Diddy Kong player, Tibs, twice :/
Diddy Kong is even harder when you dont know how to abuse their poor offstage game :c
I swear I could do it before!
I think G&W can't beat Diddy tbh. Most G&W players don't seem to agree but G&Ws tourney record against Diddy is worse than vs MK. I think it's G&Ws hardest match-up.

:059:

Splice

Smash Hero
About Diddy?

GaWs hardest MU to learn? Yes.
GaWs hardest MU to keep focused in? Yes.
GaWa hardest MU to stick to the plan in? Yes.

Ultimately, GaWs most taxing Match Up? Most Definitely.

But not GaWs hardest Matchup, for if you do all those things and be patient, you can only lose if you are well and truely outplayed.

MK MU is pretty simplistic and GaW has a fair bit of freedom for playstyle choices, but the opponent has twice as many options and all the time and in some situations just shuts you down, and unlike Diddy, this is not because you dont know what you are doing. This is because MK ***** you, lol.

Of course Diddy I would still put in our top 3 hardest MUs.
But I know without Frigate Orpheon, Rainbow Cruise, Castle Siege and Delfino... this makes the Diddy MU harder than it is.

atm im not having real trouble in any MU so i have no bias... and also no real opinion lol.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
It really isn't GW's hardest matchup. I have way more trouble with MK's than I do Diddy. I play MKs way more often, too. MK will completely destroy you, while diddy can only destroy you if you let him.

:187:

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
I think G&W can't beat Diddy tbh. Most G&W players don't seem to agree but G&Ws tourney record against Diddy is worse than vs MK. I think it's G&Ws hardest match-up.

:059:
If the tourney records say that, it dosen't imply it's definitively our hardest matchup.
I still consider Snake and MK to be more dangerous and threatening.

Rizen

Smash Legend
This thread is active!

Do G&Ws have a trigger button set to attack? I have 'R' on a game cube controller set to attack so I can bomb Fsmash with Link. I surprised a Diddy by holding his banana and spacing with aerial attacks then Fsmashing him:grin:. G&W's Fsmash is great and lasts a long time.
I don't see people doing this vs Diddy and ZSS but it's helpful.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I think we just lack experience in the match up:l

Since there are obv less diddies than MKs. MK is still a hard MU but we're more used to it.
Personally, even pocket diddies give me more trouble lol.

Ima have to agree with Joey as well.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
That's really lame man. 5 MKs!?! Must've been really frustrating.
Especially whenever there were two sets where it was last hit last stock game 1 and 3, but game 2 I took them to PS2 and ***** them.

Yeah Slice, Doubles Pools and bracket and Singles Pools on the first day, Singles bracket and side events the second day. We are doing Brawl and Melee. The TO also planned for a bigger turnout.

I've been teaming with a Pit, and it's worked out well so far. You can do dirty things if you're in the right position when they get caught in your teammate's upair, not to mention the bucket that kills at 12%.

For punishing 'nado, hold up on the control stick and slam up on the cstick as soon as you're hit to DI out of the top of 'nado, then dair onto their head. I still haven't figured out how Vinnie gets underneath to upair them.

Diddy is annoying, but not as stressful as Snake. Going autopilot on Snake is going to get you hurt a lot worse than it would against Diddy. The difference is that Snake can kill you in six moves, whereas Diddy needs to rack up a lot of damage before he can even think about killing a good G&W. Dsmash shouldn't kill you until you're well over 120%, whereas there's no bucket braking Snake's utilt. You're going to die at 90-100-ish as long as they've kept it fresh.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I've never had too much trouble with snakes at my skill level. How is snake hard for GW? I may just be playing bad snakes or something ._.

:187:

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
If the Snake knows how to be gay to you, it's a lot harder than it should be. Lucky for us, very few Snakes know the MU. Then again, they don't really need to.
Maybe I'm just bad at the Snake MU.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
what about power sheild cancel -> jab cancel -> up-b?

I've never tested it, but PSC isn't that hard, Snake's ftilt is easy to predict, jab canceling is easy... sooo...... it could work?

I know you said not including PS, but still .-. PS is kinda needed against snake in general :c

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't think Diddy is technically as bad for G&W as Metaknight. Just the tactics you need to play against him are completely different, and Diddy's punishes are stronger than Metaknight's. Given the lack of top Diddy players unfortunately, there isn't too much G&W users can do to learn the matchup though.

I'm convinced that vs Snake is a near even matchup. He beats you like reeeealy slightly overall, but you win slightly on stages that are easy to aircamp on.

Basically fullhop F-airs and *very* well spaced B-airs save you in this matchup. Spacing B-air against Snake is simply a matter of being able to see where his grenades are, and generally spacing the tip of B-air on him for the best chance of both shield poking him and avoiding his grenades. Fullhop F-airs usually won't set off his grenades either and are excellent for poking him.

Juggling and edgeguarding him is old news, and how you're going to kill him safely. Keep in mind, if you get Snake offstage reasonably far with a D-tilt, he HAS to get hit. Regardless of what he does, he's GONNA get hit if you D-tilt him offstage. Either you hit him with a free aerial, or he C4s himself. When you need kills, keep in mind that D-tilt actually sets up kills really well in this matchup.

If Snake likes to spam F-tilt 1 on shield, keep in mind that it's not actually safe on block, and that you can F-air him before he can shield. Keep in mind, the risk for doing this is actually fairly low, since Snake's F-tilt does significantly less damage and knockback on aerial opponents. D-tilting, B-airing, and F-airing him out of F-tilt 2 is fairly simple as long as you know the range at which you can do so.

When grabbing him, I really think G&W users should try more D-throw -> Dash attack against Snake. It does good damage and sets up for juggles really easily at low percents.

The only thing I hate about playing against Snake in general is you're probably just going to lose against him if you're not playing at top performance. This just goes in general. Individually, everything Snake does is pretty easy to manage, but the matchup requires a lot of concentration and matchup specific knowledge to play effectively.

The matchup that REALLY frustrates me though is Falco. In my opinion, Falco accomplishes exactly what Snake wants to do against G&W, except he does it significantly more easily. What I mean is Falco's camping is just unbearable to deal with in that your options to counter it are too limited if he does it correctly (ducking helps, but not enough). Falco also sets up kills more easily than Snake does and is generally harder to edgeguard.

Splice

Smash Hero
I have to agree with A2Z.

I don't think Snake is a big deal either. 55:45 in his favour, imo.

Just make sure you NEVER TRADE
And space attacks so you dont hit the nades.
UpB OoS is your best friend.
Uair is one of your other good friends.
Make sure all you're juggles are a big success. Don't let him make you blow up grenade.
Killing Snake is hard. Snake has an easy time getting the KO on GaW but for GaW this is the hard part. Just don't get greedy. Try to bait a mistake or get a really reliable setup, because its not worth the punishment for error.

Also: Falco is hard :c
Just his camping, is so hard to deal with...

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
I personally hate playing Marths the most. MK is really annoying too. I actually haven't played a Diddy main...

Snake is kinda hard. If I'm playing a Snake that baits my attacks then grenade drops, I usually go in pretending that I'm going to attack with a Bair or something, but then just go in and grab them.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I need to practice juggling; I'm often hit out of it. Thanks for the critiques, most of this play style is new to me so they were helpful.

I can't contribute much about G&W :(

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I personally hate playing Marths the most. MK is really annoying too. I actually haven't played a Diddy main...

Snake is kinda hard. If I'm playing a Snake that baits my attacks then grenade drops, I usually go in pretending that I'm going to attack with a Bair or something, but then just go in and grab them.
Snake is a fun matchup. The only really dumb thing about snake is having all the momentum and the minute you make a mistake you get KO'd

Marth is freakin' ridiculous, Against marths that know the matchup I can't do anything =/

Mk is alright to fight against. He's hard but we can mess with him a bit

I actually enjoy fighting Diddy as well

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, Snake is one of those matchups where either I do well at it or terribly. Just in general its a matchup that statistically many characters have control in, but realistically have extremely low margin of error for maintaining control. Generally if you can get a stock lead against Snake, there's no reason to fight him any further and the match should go to you as long as you have enough platforms/ledgegrabs to stay safe from him.

I'm not convinced Marth really destroys G&W, but I haven't seen Bardull or any really experienced Marth players since forever. He's harder than Snake for sure, but I'd rather fight a Marth than a Falco personally. I just feel Marth's more traditional type of playstyle leaves more room to be outplayed and capitalized on.

Top Bottom