• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
yup i quited brawl xD i go only to smashfest and tournies for the awesome dutch people :) and something to play a frendly over there :) the slow action on this game can't keep my atention :(
You gonna go to Paris again, huh?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
sucks to see you go kaak=(

you'll always be one of the very few respected G&W players among our little community.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
yup i quited brawl xD i go only to smashfest and tournies for the awesome dutch people :) and something to play a frendly over there :) the slow action on this game can't keep my atention :(
Yeah, I heard. Kinda sad about it. You were the main reason why my G&W got decent. When I first decided to main him, you were the first great player I watched videos of. You know, that video of you and BKING, the pikachu player, for the Dark Allience. My friend found the video, since he mains pikachu, and he showed me it. Then I found your combo videos and such.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
yeah i played last 2 months maybe three games and i dont have fun in int anymore. Melee its fun to play but i dont going to put time on it. ofc i will update you guys with some small tricks that i found last times and keep you up to date ^^ beacuse i still learned alot here and wont let you down :D

Rizen

Smash Legend
New G&W player

Salutations, whoa, I actually spelled that right first time?!

Hi G&W boards, my name's Rizen and I'm considering G&W as my secondary. Link's been my main for all 3 SSBs, he works very different from other characters and isn't the best competitive character. I've been learning several characters and choose G&W as my main focus. He fits my style where most of the cast feel weird and is high ranked. I also have played vs G&W many times and know his metagame fairly well. Any tips, advice, and help getting started is welcome:bee:. I read the stickyed guides and frame data; G&W has impressive traits.

I've been to 5 state tournaments but am currently a wifi player. Is there a good place to wifi with other G&Ws? I can help people with the wifi Link MU too;).

Thanks

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Hey, welcome to the boards! I'm glad to hear you plan on picking up our two-dimensional friend.
If you need any help, I'm sure we'd be more than happy to provide it. I'm not sure how many Links there actually are out there, but help with any MU is greatly appreciated.
I don't know who to look to for wifi, but I'm sure someone here can help you.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Welcome Arizen, to the 2D side of Brawl. :)

I don't wifi, ask around, I'm sure there are some crazy dudes around here who enjoy it.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
By FF Dairs do you mean normal or Slowflalled ones?

I freakin' love slowfall dair

offstage it's awesome and it's and easier way to KO once they get to like 130

Rizen

Smash Legend
Thanks for the welcome:).

Pressing down to slow fall Dair is crazy:upsidedown:.
I wifi on AiB sometimes. There I'm Rizen, which is the name I like to be called but it was taken by a 1 time posting person here:(.

I have a few questions,
What air attacks landing cancel? Which characters can chain grab or infinite G&W? Is using Judgment forwardB attack a good strategy, if so when should I use it?

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Thanks for the welcome:).

Pressing down to slow fall Dair is crazy:upsidedown:.
I wifi on AiB sometimes. There I'm Rizen, which is the name I like to be called but it was taken by a 1 time posting person here:(.

I have a few questions,
What air attacks landing cancel? Which characters can chain grab or infinite G&W? Is using Judgment forwardB attack a good strategy, if so when should I use it?
If you want to look cooldown of aerial attacks, check out the frame data thread. Fair, Bair and Dair definitively lags when you short hop fast fall em. Nair and Uair are nearly auto cancel, but they have short landing lag. If you want to use Dair Fair, or Bair, better full hop them to avoid landing lag although it's harder to pressure this way. Or be carefull with short hop spacing.

Falco can CG to 30-40%, IC can CG you to death (avoid landing lag and risky stuff at all cost against em), DDD cannot CG you. Pikachu I don't know, maybe with Fthrow early %. There might be some more, but I'm not sure.

Judgement should be used as a punish tool on low % chars, for example, a Marth that miss his UpB (but if you can kill it with Fsmash, do it). It's not effective at all as an offensive ability because you're stuck on a big cooldown and you cannot move during the move. It is in my oppinion more usefull as a defensive/punishing/baiting poke.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Thanks
Does your signature say in before trolls arts?
DDD cannot CG you.
:joyful:
Yoshi's the other CGer.

How should I break out of CGs? DI away+jump+air attack? With Link I have bombs out or DI away and mash Zair.

A wifi Marth destroyed my G&W; he's hard. G&W has relatively good MUs with characters that murder Link like DDD, MK, Falco, Kirby and Wario. Link does okay vs Marth and Snake so Link/G&W are a good pair for people like me who avoid S and A tiers. I didn't want to second a high tier character who casts a shadow over my main until I don't play Link anymore.

The G&W boards are welcoming and helpful, thanks everyone.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
What I usually do to break some of em, is mash UpB. It's a very effective escape tool. Yeah I understand about Marth, he can be really anoying with his long range aerials. Snake is gay, but hey, that's for any character anyway, so as long as you play carefully and avoid thoses Tilts and Nades traps, you should be fine. Snake is just a one-man army.

I think you should not forget about Link, if you're feeling more confident with his matchups, prick him. G&W indeed get destroyed by good Marth and Snake, but they are ways to tone down the **** once you understand the moves you can and can't do.

Trolling is a art, isn't it.

On my way to Today's house! 6 hours down, 4 to go.
Enjoy your trip Vinnie.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
What I usually do to break some of em, is mash UpB. It's a very effective escape tool.
This. ^ I'm able to get out of Falco's at about 30.
Bair has a landing hitbox if you land while the turtle is still out, so if you space it right they can't punish you. I like to use it to trick people. Like, I'll grind up on their shield with the turtle's head for the first four hitboxes, then fastfall to the ground real quick to get that landing hitbox. A lot of people will forget/don't know about that landing hitbox and drop shield. There's also a chance at a shield poke.
But regardless, like overgamer said, nair and upair are practically autocancel on landing, dair and fair have huge landing lag. Don't use them into people's shield.

Also, mad hype for Vinnie and Today. Make us proud guys!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You would be surprised. Strong hit F-airs on shield are actually not terrible. If you fullhop or SHFF F-air someone's shield, it's usually safe due to the shield push. In fact a perfectly SHFFed F-air is safer than F-smash on shield, which is not punished very often due to the shield push. Compare a potential -17 on block as opposed to -19 for the two moves respectively (shield drop not accounted).

Fullhop F-air is maybe -30 or something on block, but you have the advantage of G&W's good aerial spacing to make up for it. You can do two F-airs in a fullhop, and furthermore fullhop F-air only whiffs on the shortest of characters.

But WOW, G&W would be SO BROKEN if his F-air had landing lag like that of his N-air/B-air/U-air.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
You would be surprised. Strong hit F-airs on shield are actually not terrible. If you fullhop or SHFF F-air someone's shield, it's usually safe due to the shield push. In fact a perfectly SHFFed F-air is safer than F-smash on shield, which is not punished very often due to the shield push. Compare a potential -17 on block as opposed to -19 for the two moves respectively (shield drop not accounted).

Fullhop F-air is maybe -30 or something on block, but you have the advantage of G&W's good aerial spacing to make up for it. You can do two F-airs in a fullhop, and furthermore fullhop F-air only whiffs on the shortest of characters.

But WOW, G&W would be SO BROKEN if his F-air had landing lag like that of his N-air/B-air/U-air.
In Brawl Minus, if I remember correctly, this move have nearly 0 landing lag, and crazy IASA frames early. He is indeed broken. Fair all day long.

About Fair on shield, maybe it's okay because it push quiet nicely, you're right, but I somehow still feel more confident about full hops. Also do't forget -17 frame is when you do a perfect Fair landing, which imo never really happens, so it might be a little more when you actually FF Fair. If the opponents dosen't expect it, it poke quiet nicely, indeed. Although if you get this move PSCed, you'll get hurt.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu can only chaingrab at low percents. Like real low, so you shouldn't have to worry about them, really.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Didn't do so great at the tourney, lost to a Meta Knight.

BUT I did beat a Snake, someone I usually get ***** by.
Well you can learn lots of things from loosing.
MK is really hard to handle if your opponents know what he is doing. :)

In my last tournament I got ***** by snakes. But still I learned what I must not do.

Rizen

Smash Legend
G&W's UpB is great. Is the start invincible or just armor frames?
Dair has a landing hitbox if you land while the turtle is still out,
Bair?
Tether grabs can punish this. Can an opponent spotdodge and punish?
Didn't do so great at the tourney, lost to a Meta Knight.
I feel for you :(.
-------------------------------
My G&W's too predictable. What are good mix ups and mindgames?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Tether grabs can punish this. Can an opponent spotdodge and punish?
All the tether grabbers minus Olimar you can just fullhop F-air. Alternatively, you can B-air/N-air all the tether characters shields, and it's possible to spotdodge a shieldgrab attempt. Against Yoshi and Samus, B-air -> Jab is a legit blockstring.

My G&W's too predictable. What are good mix ups and mindgames?
It helps to become better at G&W's ground game. It's not as rewarding as his air game, but it's solid. Practice D-throw combos if you have the opportunity as well. It is largely prediction, but there are smart choices to make based on your opponent's options. In a few uncommon cases, it's also possible to D-throw techchase on reaction. I know I was once able to do that in tournament in the G&W ditto lol.

You don't really need too many mixups. Just be good at juggling, techchasing, and edgeguarding.

If you want to learn a cool trick though, try learning 3rd hit N-air -> D-smash. A legit combo on basically the entire cast. It can also be set up by buffering N-air after fullhop U-air/B-air. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu-OoGljl5k

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
It's also possible to duck Yoshi and ZSS grabs for more lulz.

In a few uncommon cases, it's also possible to D-throw techchase on reaction. I know I was once able to do that in tournament in the G&W ditto lol.
G&W has such a terrible roll lol. Snake can tech chase on reaction against him as well.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
It's also possible to duck Yoshi and ZSS grabs for more lulz.

G&W has such a terrible roll lol. Snake can tech chase on reaction against him as well.
G&W rolls is just a way to ask nicely to get punished. Although I roll a lot. Maybe too much. Gotta change that. Or second MK.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
It's also possible to duck Yoshi grabs.
What. You don't do this to me!

Well, that's nice, this MU got a bit harder for me. >_>

Hi GWs, I mess with GW myself from time to time, but I suffer with "Predictable Syndrome" with him. Terrible condition, don't think I can gt over it easily.

But techchasing is amazingly fun though :D

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Hello! I'm a GW main that doesn't really post in character boards, but I really want to start posting here because theres so much I could learn about GW!

I was at a tournament last saturday. I got 25th there. I don't remember out of how many entrants. School is in Session 4! :D

I hope to get to know you all very well! ^__^

Rizen

Smash Legend
Welcome, I'm a G&W newbie too.

------------
Is 'bacon a lie' because G&W doesn't pan flip bacon?

My G&W is getting better, I have a few wifi replays that need to be uploaded. I always want to tech chase>Usmash because it's so powerful, it's my "Predictable Syndrome". His smashes are broken.
Tech chasing and juggling are new to me.
----------

What are good ways to grab? I'm used to tether grab's defensive style and reach. My grabs are short or I'm hit before I'm close enough.

Does G&W have a DAC? Jab cancel tactics? Are 'B' and jump as effective for stopping his jab combo as ducking?

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
What. You don't do this to me!
If I ever played your Yoshi with G&W I would. All you've seen with Yoshi is my Flaco, I believe.

Joey, Arizen, welcome, welcome!
Joey--25th out of 48 ain't bad. Hell, it's probably as good as if not better than I would have done. Are you Dooms? Like, this Dooms: http://allisbrawl.com/profile/Dooms.ai ? If so, I played your gay *** Pit in ladder lol. I didn't know you use G&W. Glad to have you here, feel free to chat it up as much as you want, we've been kind of dead lately.
Arizen--No DACUS, no good jab combos, worst grab range in the game outside of the Ice Climbers... Welcome to maining G&W lol. You can do a single jab to dtilt, but once you're in the jab combo your best option is probably to UpB out of there since they're probably going to try to punish.
Josh--These aren't the Sonic boards lol

Top Bottom