• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Oh my god game and watch players eeeeeeverywheeeere.

Yeah, G&W can become predictable if you don't mix up what you do. As Triforce said, you don't really have a whole LOT of options, but that doesn't mean you have to be predictable.

Lately I've started using n-air more for approaching, b-air for punishing and retreating, and f-air for off stage antics and kills. You can of course switch these up for the most part (besides approaching with f-air, never approach with f-air) and add in different moves to follow up, n-air for example leads into a bunch of stuff, including itself, don't just use the same things.

As for grabs, I try to mix in grabs, but it doesn't happen a lot for me, ha... I get grabs usually following u-tilt(at low percents of course), n-air, b-air, and empty short hops. You can also of course jump in and shield an attack and shield grab. Also, something I like to do is a lot of stuff out of buffered usmash(which someone said was called a hyphen smash, but I still call it buffed usmash) you could do stutter step, another buffed usmash, tilts etc etc. The slide goes a decent amount of distance, and you can attack out of it very quickly.

/advice from a decent at best G&W

Hey Makke, are you talking about recording them as well? If so...Does that offer extend to anyone else? I have my own youtube channel, so if the video could be recorded, that would be great!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If I ever played your Yoshi with G&W I would. All you've seen with Yoshi is my Flaco, I believe.
I'm certain we've had Yoshi vs. GW matches before...

Josh--These aren't the Sonic boards lol
:c

I've just been using empty short hops -> Side Bs/turnaround grabs for approaching in order to keep 'em guessing.

As well as using dtilt whenever possible. That move's a beast.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
My G&W is getting better, I have a few wifi replays that need to be uploaded. I always want to tech chase>Usmash because it's so powerful, it's my "Predictable Syndrome". His smashes are broken.
Tech chasing and juggling are new to me.
Low percents: Do D-throw -> Dash attack. Also do this a lot against Snake if you're at a percent where you might get killed by U-tilt. This covers tech in place, null tech, and depending on matchup or stage, it might even cover tech roll away. But the point is D-throw -> Dash attack is VERY good for damage. 17% fresh, and puts your opponent in a bad position that you can follow up with for more hits (Dash attack or grab if they land, F-air/N-air if they jump).

What are good ways to grab? I'm used to tether grab's defensive style and reach. My grabs are short or I'm hit before I'm close enough.
Sliding shield, Jab -> Grab (just practice the timing for that), there's also baiting. There are a good number of matchups or players who have a difficult time dealing with G&W's aerials directly, and by conditioning them to defend, approaching on the ground with grabs can actually be really effective.

Does G&W have a DAC? Jab cancel tactics? Are 'B' and jump as effective for stopping his jab combo as ducking?
G&W's DACUS goes nowhere (it can be used to pick up items while Up-smashing, but that's essentially useless). Jab -> Grab is good. Jab D-tilt DOES NOT combo but is good for spacing when they are outside of grab range.

I should specify I meant short hopping f-air, that's a bad idea.
It certainly isn't always the safest option, but it's not actually as bad of an idea as it looks. SHFFed F-airs have good shield push and if spaced perfectly, -17 on block isn't THAT horrible. As long as you're not doing that against Snake I assume, then it's an option you shouldn't forget.

Also you should be very comfortable with F-air out of shield. Just know what you can punish with it. It's pretty awesome there.

By the way G&W's grab range is average to slightly below average. Getting grabs with him isn't particularly hard though, especially since you have a very good Jab that sets up into it really well. Making the most of G&W's grab game is the tricky part, since his pummels and throws alone do uninspiring damage, but G&W's options to capitalize on bad positions are really strong.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Back from the crazy weekend! ='P Phew! It definitely was long and very tiring!
We had a good turnout, though! 115 entrants for singles!
And there were like 5 GnWers! (The most in histoorrry!)
It seems like this thread has been active (which is also the most in histoorrry!!)
Which is awesome!!

Also guys:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295100
Support! It's Project Smasheducation!! It's for smashers like us to help contribute to students in Africa who have very poor education environments!

ALSO, I have GnW videos now so I just need to put them online! Woot woot!!

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman

And there were like 5 GnWers! (The most in histoorrry!)
It seems like this thread has been active (which is also the most in histoorrry!!)
Which is awesome!!
I laughed at this.^

And yeah, I came back to see the more then one page of new posts were...posted...since my last visit. That is so very exciting.

You know, I think I'd like to talk to some people on the G&W boards. Anyone happen to randomly have a facebook or something?

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Day! I'm glad to hear the tourney went so well, can't wait to see the vids.
Thank yew, thank yew! Yeah, I'll shoot for this weekend! C'=
I laughed at this.^

And yeah, I came back to see the more then one page of new posts were...posted...since my last visit. That is so very exciting.

You know, I think I'd like to talk to some people on the G&W boards. Anyone happen to randomly have a facebook or something?
And sure! My Facebook is www.Facebook.com/delighted Just tell me who you are!

And Joey, you are GnW and always will be (I hope!) So you're fine! ='P Glad you are posting more!

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Wow, more then 5 new posts, WHAT DA HELL is that?
Yay G&W is slowly gaining the hype he always deserved!

Also want to see all the vids of the tourny.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Haha, didn't think that people would actually have Facebooks. Well that's cool. I'll add you people.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Joey's too modest. He's got an awesome GW. :0 And generally a better player in his region/state.

I got to vs a GnW, but in pools. I faced Lou and it was close. Mario vs GnW. Lou was rusty tho.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Thanks Vinnie! I hope to contribute lots if I get to go to more tournaments!

Juu shh I'm not modest! D:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Thanks for the uploading offers but I can upload so it's not necessary. Hopefully I'll have a few (ugh) wifi replays up soon.
I'll work on tech chase strategies. My G&W and Ivysaur are both Usmash happy, lol. The power's wicked and I get carried away. Sometimes for mind games I will fake a SH approach then stop short and use chef.

Where should the opponent be for me to Nair them? I get hit out of the move a lot.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Activity, in these G&W boards? It's more likely than you think.

Use nair when you plan on moving through their hurtbox, or if you can space the fish out to the side to hit them. I think that's when you're supposed to use it. =/

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
N-air is best for juggles or pressuring/punishing when you know the opponent isn't in a position to counterattack.

N-air is pretty safe when they're above you.

Alternatively, the gimmick I like using is fullhop B-air -> N-air to space the 3rd hit on opponents, which legit combos into D-smash on like the entire cast.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
N-air is best for juggles or pressuring/punishing when you know the opponent isn't in a position to counterattack.

N-air is pretty safe when they're above you.

Alternatively, the gimmick I like using is fullhop B-air -> N-air to space the 3rd hit on opponents, which legit combos into D-smash on like the entire cast.
This. Pretty much.

I think buket braking is deeply broken. Seriously, I managed to survive until 192% on FD against a Marth, lmao?

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Bucket Brake makes me a happy person. Surviving like...80-ish percent higher than normal helps so much.

Edit: I'm still surprised at how many posts there've been.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Most threads like this go through times of activity and deadness(lol). From what I saw from the starcraft thread, it never really dies, and eventually it'll be active again. Give it some time.
Bucket Brake makes me a happy person. Surviving like...80-ish percent higher than normal helps so much.

Edit: I'm still surprised at how many posts there've been.
Yup .

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Yup to the Bucket Brake comment? Or yup to the amount of posts comment?

If yes to the bucket brake: Yeah, I know, especially becuase G&W would usually live to like...100.

If yes to the comment about the amount of posts: It makes me want to post more.

Top Bottom