• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I really need G&W critique, but my Wii isn't hacked and I can only really do Wi-fi. As such, is there anyone here who:
1. Is good with a character other than Game & Watch and
2. Does Wi-fi?

It would really be appreciated if one of you could help me.
Maybe I can help? :) PM mee~

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Ended up getting no work done lol=(
beeeeenn buuuuusy >.<

anyway i will be gone for 3 weeks. V_Vmissing apex and raleigh=(.

gl to everyone at apex xD, im pretty sure it's just kewl and Vinnie. Hope to come back to some juicy results.
As for everyone else,gl with those locals, don't give up,G&W is awesome!. Also hope ya get better zac.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
I'm not gonna be in Apex.
I'm going to be at MLG: Raleigh.

College finals ****ed me over (Panama school time is different than US)

So I decided to change my ticket (got lucky Spirit Air actually let me change my ticket) from Apex to MLG since I'm gunna be 100% free that time, and I'm not going to miss a big **** tournie this month due to gay school times. XD

Btw, that's what I wanted to comment on, I haven't really been active due to finals. So I won't be posting as much till next Saturday. =/

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Well then that means you better end up with some good results.

Well I'm really liking dimensional landing. Great discovery, Kaak. I think it's going to be very useful.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
You haven't played me yet Praxis.
We'll see if it's really a bad character, or if it's just GW players not stepping it up.
I'm quiet confident that'll be the second, so confident I will do $20 with you.
One of these days we'll see each other, so close to moving up to the US, plus I'm travelling alot more (like to Raleigh) now.

/true story

Valdens

Smash Ace
So, I got 2nd at GameClucks yesterday, 2-0'ing Jem and 3-1'ing Nerd, and losing to Felix in grand. I went essentially all GnW too.

herp

Feels good to actually do something with GnW though.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Hey, guys. Got back from Apex. Here's how the tourney went for me:

Doubles: Ehh I don't remember ALL of my matches since doubles has double the people lol. Ended up getting like 25th though :/ bleh. MK/G&W.

Singles:

POOLS ROUND 1

Only 4 people showed up to my pool >_>
Lost to Shugo (1-2). Lost to his Falco on BF, 1 stock mid % iirc, even though the match started out baaad lol. Beat his MK pretty solidly on Rainbow Cruise. Lost to his Falco on SV, I missed some punishes due to me not running enough after dthrow to actually land the usmash :/. Really great player though.

Beat Bill_ (2-1) (BigLou's partner, southern Sheik/Snake main). He went Snake.
-Lost game 1 to his Snake on BF, 1 stock 85. Beat him really convincingly on Brinstar. Beat him solidly (1 stock low iirc) on SV.

Beat Kaffei4lunch (2-0) a fellow G&W, we played on Flat Zone and Mario Bros :p.

ROUND 2 POOLS

Lost to SK92 (1-2) I took game 1 on BF, Got ***** on SV (ended up ragequitting because I couldn't touch him there >_>), then I LOST ON RAINBOW CRUISE FML. Then I talked to Keitaro after that... he said SK92 is actually good on gay stages. Who knew XD.

Lost to Speed (1-2) I told Speed I'd lose to him before the set started lol. I have NO IDEA how Sonic works at all. All I know is that if he hits you he can give you a lot of damage and combos into more spinny things. Good player still.

Beat Ling-Ling (2-1) I've lost to him before in winners semis at a New England tourney before. He's very good, I pulled out the win this time with 1 stock mid % game 3 on ps1.

Beat YoshQ (2-0) 3 stocked his Snake game 1, with a bunch of platform cancel to grab mindgames (finally mastered it!). Then he went Luigi & Frigate, and it was going even but I had a bucket, so he spawned and I bucketed him. lol

Beat Stroumbert (2-0) Canadian Falco, he places there. Beat him pretty solidly on BF, then banned SV, he cp'd FD, then I went ICs and won, 2 stock (I think I might start doing that to Falco from now on).

3rd seed in my pool.

BRACKET

Lost to Vex Kasrani (1-2). Very unfortunate that I had to play him >.>... he used to main G&W and he does co-main him so he actually knows allllll about G&W, and constantly tells me that G&W is bad XD. 1-1 with Dedede, I cp'd brinstar, he went Meta Knight, and he 2 stocked me :(. I felt like I could have done much better in that match and maybe could have won but, he definitely outplayed me and is a very great player so he advanced, I got sent to losers round 1 :(.

Then I got a bye I guess, whatever.

Lost to Gnes (0-2). So hard fighting Diddies who know the matchup. Game 1 was 1 stock mid % on BF, he won cleanly. Then I cp'd Rainbow, he won... >_> what is with me losing on Rainbow all of the sudden...

Sorry I didn't rep G&W to the fullest v_v. I keep failing at nationals and it's sorta upsetting.

I've been interested in ICs lately. I used them last weekend in Grand Finals against Dabuz at a tourney and ended up winning. I'm probably going to secondary them for Marth, Olimar, and maybe Falco. Other than that, I'll keep trying to get G&W up there.

As for MMs, I barely really used him. I remember beating Chibosempai for $5, losing to Praxis game 3 last hit (bo3) for $5, then beat him on livestream yesterday with hundreds of people watching for $5, 3-0 XD.

------

I got this question a lot at Apex. With my recent success, especially last weekend, people have asked me if I considered myself the best G&W. I said no for the most part... I don't think there's a best G&W. When you see the 'best-of' for each B tier character, you see players like Junebug/Lee Martin, ChuDat, Nick Riddle, ESAM... I don't think Zac and I are at the level where we can win Regional tourneys consistently yet. Game and Watch can... but until one of us starts doing this, I think it's stupid to declare someone the 'best Game and Watch'. It's whatever. IMO we're on the same level, but neither of us are pushing the character to its supreme limits. Soon enough, though.

Also I just got unbanned a few days ago, so I'll post my new match-up opinions for everyone to see :p.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Welcome back Vinnie =)

Placing really high at large tournaments with G&W is really hard.

But, I still have something on you, I get 1st/2nd/3rd in teams everytime.

Challenge proposed ;)

Vinnie

Smash Master
In the past couple of months, I've gotten top 3 like more than half of the time, but I have yet to win a doubles tourney :/. I've gotten 2nd three times, and 3rd five times, out of like 12ish tourneys. You're better than me in doubles though :). edit: ~_~ for now.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Meta Knight: 4:6
Snake: 4:6
Diddy Kong: 4:6

Falco 4:6

Ice Climbers: 35:65
Marth: 35:65

Wario: 45:55

Dedede: 45:55

Pikachu: 6:4

Olimar: 35:65

Lucario: 55:45

GW: -

Pit: 55:45

Toon Link: 5:5
ZSS: 5:5

Kirby: 6:4
ROB: 6:4

DK: 55:45
Peach: 55:45

Fox: 55:45
Luigi: 55:45

Wolf: 5:5

Shiek: 4:6

PT: 6:4
Sonic: 55:45

Ness: 55:45

Bowser: 6:4

Lucas: 65:45
Ike: 6:4

Yoshi: 65:35
Mario: 6:4

CF: 65:35

Samus: 7:3

Jigglypuff: 75:25

Zelda: 7:3

Link: 6:4

Ganondorf: 7:3

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
PGN, good job! I hope you had a lot of fun, though. That's still really good. I'm happy you at least made it out of pools. That tourney just seemed so hard, and the seeding was already messed up from Chibo.

Also, is that a matchup list? XP

Vinnie

Smash Master
PGN, good job! I hope you had a lot of fun, though. That's still really good. I'm happy you at least made it out of pools. That tourney just seemed so hard, and the seeding was already messed up from Chibo.

Thanks a lot, Today. I don't think it's really good, but making it out of pools as all G&W is sorta tough yeah, I was the only one :(. Chibo actually put me and Shugo in the same round 1 pool, when there were WAY easier pools than that... Shugo has been consistently placing in the money in regionals, and I was originally first seed after winning a tournament last weekend -.-.

I mean the seeding was meh, but it was better than MLG at least lol.

Also, is that a matchup list? XP
Yep! A lot of it may seem weird, but those are my opinions of high level G&W matchups.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Meta Knight: 4:6

Ice Climbers: 35:65

Wario: 45:55

Dedede: 45:55

Olimar: 35:65

ZSS: 5:5

Shiek: 4:6

Sonic: 55:45

Ike: 6:4

Samus: 7:3

I don't agree with the MK ratio, the rest is cool imo, although i feel gnw has a slight advantage on wario.

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
I heard Chibo was terribad at seeding the pools as Larry, RAIN, and Shadow where all in the same pool, and only Chibo and Jash where in the other his. Lol.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I think it's useful from time to time to post our matchup opinions, here's mine, even if this isn't the exact thread to post in but w/e

Meta Knight: 4:6 - this is 100% accurate imo
Ice Climbers: 35:65 4:6 - it's not that bad
Wario: 45:55 5:5 - again, not that bad
Dedede: 45:55 5:5 - you're silly =/
Olimar: 35:65 45:55 - I've learn this matchup, got some videos to post ;)
ZSS: 5:5 45:55 - I don't understand this matchup in the slightest
Wolf: 5:5 55:45 - idk, it's really hard to say it's even
Shiek: 4:6 55:45 - once you learn it (i dont remember it, sry cant help) it's easy
Sonic: 55:45 - this one's weird
Ike: 6:4 55:45 - similar to DK, strong kill power that randomly annoys you.
Samus: 7:3 65:35 - this doesn't deserve 7:3

What's weird about this character is he has quite a few good matchups, yet just doesn't perform well in tournaments. Do you guys think that's simply because we are getting "outplayed." In other words, they are figuring us out and dodging all our kills and tricks.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Most of us aren't that good at matchups. I know that I myself only know a number of specific matchups really well, and I'm particularly unfamiliar with certain upper mid tier characters.

And sometimes I feel like some players still don't really know how to optimally punish with G&W and overlook some helpful tactic mid-match.

I don't really feel like adding my matchup opinions when I agree with the majority of what you say Zac, although I'd probably put a different emphasis in the same direction on certain matchup numbers.

Sheik is 5/5 though, and entirely dependent on who loses their cool first.

Also I would easily consider Falco a harder matchup than Snake, and Snake a more neutralish matchup that is slightly out of our favor.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I heard Chibo was terribad at seeding the pools as Larry, RAIN, and Shadow where all in the same pool, and only Chibo and Jash where in the other his. Lol.
Blame people for their first round pools performance. Mad good players didn't get first seed unexpectedly, and others caused upsets to get first seeds. Every single 2nd round pool had 2 1st seeds, 2 2nd seeds, and 2 3rd seeds.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
And yet no one even realizes that I didn't have much to do with r2 pools, Chaos Marth did. I 100% made r1 pools myself, I sort of looked over r2, and had nothing to do with brackets.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Matchup List yay? :D

Meta Knight: 35:65
Falco 35:65
Ice Climbers: 4:6
Wario: 5:5
Dedede: 5:5
Olimar: 4:6
GW: 9-9
ZSS: 4:6
Peach: 6:4
Shiek: 55:45
Sonic: 5:5
Lucas: 65:35
Ike: 55:45
Samus: 65:35
Jigglypuff: 85:15

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
@Chibo, wait are you saying that 1 person primarily made pools (r1/r2) for a 266 man tourney without several other people reviewing it? I know tio is able to handle pools, not sure if it can split them up properly... haven't tried.

Top Bottom