• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol i've played dabuz offline <,< so im not basing all of this off online experiences
Also i didn't win but he didn't **** me. Same goes for any other olimar i've faced,It's always 1 stock leftover whether i win or lose. You just have to keep your cool,even when you're behind a stock,because that's when most G&W players just lose focus and get 2 stocked somehow. Sttooooop approaching lol.
4:6 MU means this match up is as hard as the snake match up,and that can't be true at all lol.

45:55 at most
juuuuust be patient,dont approach unless you have to and you'll stay even with olimar. Also im still convinced dtilt is amazing in this MU.

and no, online every match up is 6:4 for oli lol
3+ oli's on ladder tops compared to 1 G&W proves that

@dabuz
true but if olimar predicts that bair and times it right,he can easily run up and upsmash:l
it isn't as reliable as you think it is.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Penta, no it doesn't.

Snake is 35:65.
So is Marth.
40:60 just makes it a pretty much Olimar's advantage.
45:55 practically means close to even.

Look at the MU chart:
Solid disadvantage 35/65 or worse.
Disadvantage 40/60
Slight Disadvantage 45/55
Even 50/50
Slight Advantage 55/45
Advantage 60/40
Solid advantage 65/35 or better

I've beaten Olimars, I've played tons of Olimars, I play Olimar. I know everything about this character. But just because I know the matchup doesn't make it an easier time for GnW. It just means I know more than the player.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
If yellow GaW was bright yellow I would **** my pants every time I play him. Luckily he's brownish, so I don't *** in my pants, and I can pay attention to the match.
I wasn't saying bright yellow, I was saying less brown.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
since when was snake 35:65......<,<

no way...lol,snake is not as hard as marth

i'll never understand why you guys think this match up is close to impossible,its not <,<,

even zac agrees that smart G&Ws vs snake is 45:55. 40:60 at the absolute worst.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Since when is 35:65 is an impossible matchup? It just makes it hard.
Zac agreeing or not, GnW vs. Snake is bad.
I don't know if you are basing it off of Wifi experience, but I'm talking from an offline PoV. Stop looking at it at what you beat and look at it as the character themselves.
Just because Marth is really hard and you lose to him doesn't mean other characters can't be just as hard. Same with MK. I can beat MKs left and right, I know how to fight MKs and I know what to expect from them. But MK vs. GnW is still a solid disadvantage for GnW. Just because I may not be losing to MKs, doesn't mean it still isn't as hard.
By the way, Snake has always been mentioned as 35:65 even before I came here. I'm pretty sure you agreed as well and said, "I go MK on Snakes." and so does many others. And I sit down and have discussion with people as well. I mean, heck I've gotten better at the Snake matchup. Which is great! I mean, I think I have a better chance at beating them now. But I still know GnW against a Snake is still a solid disadvantage. Just because I beat players that plays x character doesn't mean the matchup isn't hard.
Same goes for the Olimar situation. Olimar has an advantage over GnW, I beat Olimar players but Olimar against GnW is still hard. Like I said, I just know more than the player. Just because you came close to Dabuz doesn't make Olimar super easy now.

Edit: Also, Penta. I have homework for you, since you're really good at the Snake matchup why not do a write up for Snake? On why it's 45:55 Snake's favor. I think it'd be easier to get a better understand then, don't you think?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol no, if i was basing this off wifi,id be thinking snake vs G&W is 0-100. Im not a wifi G&W <,<. My set with dabuz was just an example because i remember how him and other oli mains used to destroy me before i got a better understanding. anyway,not argueing anymore <,<.

snake was always mentioned 35:65 here because of the 08 G&W's. I would think after 2 years, we would try and have a more open mind about the match up now then just "NADES AND Ftilt ,WE LOSE".

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
sure i don't mind
i still have 2 more stage summarizes to finish before i post it all and i have to start packing tomorrowish though.

i'll try >.<

edit 2
yea i do remember saying that=( blah

vinnie (and zac kinda) have helped me a bit more in the MU recetly tho so ive been doing alot better=l lol.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Snake is easy. I haven't lost to any snakes on wifi yet, and both times I've lost to a snake in a tournament set offline was a bunch of bull****!!!! (no johns)

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I think G&W should always be able to beat snake. You have to be very smart, patient, and space perfectly at the right times. It's definitely doable, just remember that G&W can dodge most of Snake's stuff cause G&W moves so fast horizontally.

G&W's bair should always beat snake's Utilt. G&W's fair... does not. Be careful of surprise snake uair/bair tricks.

Splice

Smash Hero
I thought we already covered that Snake:GaW is like 55:45 Snakes favour, Or EVEN, ages ago =/

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I found a really useless but fairly easy way to do a second jump renewal with G&W. And it's not the ledgehop F-air trick. There is a way to do two jumps, angled Up-B at the apex, D-air, and then you can jump after it. Mostly useless, but the point is I'm still keeping my G&W legit.

Wassup guys?

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Heya G&W's ;D

The Lucas boards are discussing GW in teams and we would like some input.

:lucas: Clicky Lucas ;o

Thank you in advanced!

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
vinnie just won a tourney beating dabuz in GF, shadow in WF

edit: i lied, dabuz won set 1 and vinnie clutched out set 2 using ics in beginning games LOLOLOL

he still ***** inui and shiz w/ GW ;D

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
yep its true

his matches with shadow were recorded supposedly,we'll see

gratz :V

Brawl Doubles

1: Shadow and Zucco ($66.00) :wario:/:metaknight: + :lucario:
2: Spam and vVvZucco (Orion + Vinnie) ($33.00) :metaknight: + :gw:
3: Inui and Snakeee ($11.00) :metaknight: + :zerosuitsamus:
4: Will and Minty :dk2: + :marth:
5: Nike Nick and Chair :pit: + :wario:
5: Dabuz and Swain :olimar: + :toonlink: (Because he turned down teaming with Eli)
7: Fire and Problem :metaknight: + :snake:/:metaknight:

Brawl Singles

1: vVv Zucco (Vinnie) ($100.00) :gw: :popo:
2: Dabuz ($71.00) :olimar:
3: Shadow ($19.00) :metaknight:
4: Orion :metaknight:
5: Will :dk2:
5: Mr. R (Minty) :marth: :metaknight:
7: Penta :gw:
7: Inui :metaknight:
9: Hakuuu (Snakeee)
9: BBW
9: John Zipcode
9: Zucco
13: Nike Nick
13: Cyber
13: Sapphire Birch
13: Chair
17: Swain
17: HippieDude
17: Fire
17: Dream
17: MBlaze

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Good job, guys!
Glad PGN did well, too!! Icies is a good secondary to have!

I just finished my tournament, too.
18 teams and 54 entrants.
Here's the thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=282633
I managed to get 4th out of 18 teams, and we beat a super duper good team which I'm proud for! Our match with La!n and Bo\/\/yer was extremely close as well!

I got 13th out of 54 in Singles going all GnW. It wasn't super tough but I dealt with it! I feel kind of disappointed in my results a little bit... but it's still kind of good, I guess. I may be disappointed because of my top ten streak. At least a lot of my matches were hyped. XD; Mainly because a lot of people just assumed I was bad for being a girl, unfortunately. But I'm glad people know and I got a lot of recognition, especially with a lot of my close matches.

I do have some tips or ideas to throw out from my tournament. I really hope it helps all of you guys!
I think everyone else should do the same to help each other out.
I want every GnW to become great players, and the best way to do that is to share info instead of keeping it to ourselves. I think that's a problem that GnWers have.

Okay, one:
Battlefield = AMAZING.
I don't know what I would do without this stage. Granted, I had both Rainbow Cruise ANND Green Greens.
There were points I felt extremely uncomfortable with both of them and instead I did Battlefield a lot.
I became a lot smarter with stages in general. Stage striking you guys should keep this in mind. I managed to get BF/PS1 a lot. (I really like PS1, too. I suggest people go for it/SV or BF)
Keep stage striking in mind, though. Know how the other character works. Sometimes I purposely struck Smashville, kept BF and a stage they would hate to play on so they would obviously strike the hated stage over BF and that's how I got to BF a lot. Sometimes it would be between BF and PS1, which is why during those times I got PS1, too. I played on Smashville I think once or twice.
Instead of CP stages that GnW autowins, CP a stage you are really comfortable on. That's my best advice. I became really close with an extremely good Wario/one of the best here. And we were on Smashville first round, I came really close, lost, and then it was my CP. I felt strange taking a Wario to RC and GGs. So I went back to Smashville. It was nice, and it worked out well.

Honestly, if you don't have GGs legal. And there's RC, and there's an MK. Take him/her to BF. All my matches on BF vs. MK I won/very close.
I can't emphasis on how good Battlefield is. I always thought a CP needed to be a CP, a stage where I'll autowin. (Like Rainbow Cruise.) So despite being uncomfortable with it I will still go and lose.
I finally realized that neutrals are good CPs even if they are neutrals.

Another thing, I do enjoy using Frigate now, and I suggest that to others as well especially against characters with poor recovery.
---
Move Tips
Chef = <3333
I haven't used Chef at all that much. But I've used it a lot this weekend and it's honestly gotten me out of a lot of jams. Chef to bair, chef to smashes, chef to Judgement(I got one.), chef to keep a wall and make other characters approach you differently and then punishing that approach, chef to stop moves, chef to keep characters from edge blocking, chef to stop MK's glide attacks, etc. It's helped me out so much. I don't think I would have maybe even won matches without this move.

Utilt: Was really helpful! I managed to land utilts to nair. Sometimes my partner and I will try utilt to MK's nair. Use this move smartly. I think this is a useful move.

Fair: I don't think I've used fairs as much as I did this weekend. I fair spaced a lot and well. I think a lot, if most of my kills were from well spaced fairs. Battlefield also helps compliment this move (Platforms).
I also enjoyed using fair a lot more for when a character is coming up diagonal from off stage, or jumps up from off stage and into a kill. I really can't believe how many kills I got from this. I haven't used this move too too much, but I realized I really need to. Aha.

Hm! I think that may be the only things that I can think of that helped me a lot. I started using Judgements more often and landed some of them (finally.) This is still very risky. I suggest just attempting to combo it with something or if you are good at predicting then do that. One of them was I noticed a lot when I dthrow at first they would tech it, and I would try and go for them. And after that I would dthrow and they would just stand there for a bit. So for awhile I would purposely try and tech chase it to let them think it's okay to just stand there for a bit. Since I was losing, I tried going for a Judgement. I knew they were going to stand there for a bit thinking it was safe so I landed the Judgement. Predictions are really good, too! But Judgements can be kind of hard to land. So I guess use this at your own risk.

I hope that helps some people! If anyone has any questions too feel free to ask!! Good luck, too!! Hope that wasn't too too much... sorry if it was...

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
shut up lol D:^

and i didnt see you use marth ONCE yesterday LOL
"i don't use MK anymore,back2marth"

@today
i have a few things to say about ur post in a bit :V.gud read

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
@ Penta, Mmkay! Also, good job again!

@Joey, O: Yussir!! I hope you post here more!

I don't think any of our matches this weekend got recorded. We had live stream, but I don't know if that records? So I have nothing to offer in video. And if I could save a replay before the time they allow you to save I think I wouldn't felt a little bad. I'll see if stream had recording. I did my pools matches there which I guess isn't all that great since it was pools, but still something! I also have our doubles matches between the best MKs on livestream. So hopefully they are recorded!!

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Battlefield is my favorite stage, well...along with Rainbow Cruise, and Norfair. I don't really play Green Greens much when I play...

kaak

Smash Journeyman

Guys, this is awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32G75sinO2s
Kaak discovered this. I think it would be extremely useful. I think him and I are going to try and play around with it a lot. But please do check it out! <3 I think it'll be something good for GnW.
thx for posting :)

you can give gaw a small landing boost with this after his upB or cannelled upB just holding the opposite direction with your controll stick when landing .

EDIT
you can do it with a empty sh to a small sliding Dsmash/Dtilt/all

maybe people know this and i'm sounding stupid but im going to use it to watch if it works

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
atm the best way i see this being used is if your opponent edgeguards you,then you can cancel the landing into a dair for a fancy spike kill(assuming they come up to punish ur landing)

good shet;o

edit: or cancel into dtilt to avoid being punished lol
still great tho

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I really need G&W critique, but my Wii isn't hacked and I can only really do Wi-fi. As such, is there anyone here who:
1. Is good with a character other than Game & Watch and
2. Does Wi-fi?

It would really be appreciated if one of you could help me.

Top Bottom