• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
lol i actually play keyboards/sing in a band. i could do that project if i'm not too lazy.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
while taking pictures today (finally got them all, but may take a couple days to get thru), me and my friends rediscovered this old yoshi picture. i added a little something to it, for kicks.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Bair is more than just a spacing tool, and if you think otherwise I question your ability to analyze G&W's moveset.

Granted, it's obvious that Bair's main function is to augment G&W's spacing game, but it has plenty other uses that come up enough to be noteworthy.
Well, yeah, it's useful, but as one gets higher up in play it becomes less useful for other things. I do use it to punish folks who try to rush in behind me when I'm retreating and to just outprioritize stuff.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Bair is more than just a spacing tool, and if you think otherwise I question your ability to analyze G&W's moveset.

Granted, it's obvious that Bair's main function is to augment G&W's spacing game, but it has plenty other uses that come up enough to be noteworthy.
Like what?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
...Really Zac?

Whatever, I'll be posting the unfinished guide a tad bit later today, and you can read my analysis of Bair from that.

Speaking of the guide, it's gonna be up for all of you guys to give input and even edits if you see a need. The format I have been using for the guide is the Pikachu guide which turns out to be wicked comprehensive. From that, I'm only up to the last aerial (Dair) in the moveset part and havent started the specials part of his moveset, advanced tactics, nor elaborated on advanced techniques and junk.

So yeah, I personally think you guys will like what I have, but you never know!

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Oh, it just seemed like you were lol. Sorry!

Also, no sweat. I personally hope this maybe inspires some new G&W players or just improve the G&W mainers we have that are in a slump. I mean, it's not how I imagined it, quite yet, but I think it's getting there :>

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Slump? Zac and I have been wrecking MK's :p.

kekeke

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
It's just a general statement yo.
I'm not saying anyone is in a slump, just maybe there is someone who needs a push in the right direction which the guide might help!

Also MK isnt too tough. Glad you changed your mind Hylian :3

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
False, A smart MK is really really tough to beat.

Hylian's been wrecking MKs cause of ICs. The last time he used G&W on MK was on Rainbow Cruise. It's a lot easier to beat MK on RC than a flat stage imo. (No offense to Hylian)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
False, A smart MK is really really tough to beat.

Hylian's been wrecking MKs cause of ICs. The last time he used G&W on MK was on Rainbow Cruise. It's a lot easier to beat MK on RC than a flat stage imo. (No offense to Hylian)
No it's SO true. I beat dojo on RC but I don't know if I could ever beat him on a neutral (without ic's). His spacing is too good.

RC is good to use against top mk's because they can't space as well against you. GW can't do much to MK's horizontal spacing but GW has better vertical spacing and RC allows you to take advantage of that.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
RC is a legit stage. If only Norfair was allowed in more places we would have some really solid go-to cps against the entire cast. Otherwise it's mostly RC gettubg banned and us going Brinstar/Halberd/Delfino/etc.

MK is really not that bad if it's seven starters.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I never play on RC anymore. I think it takes away from my style of play and makes me play worse. I don't need it as a CP. I haven't used it in forever, not even against ADHD or the MK I play in tourney.

I like going to FD a lot. G&W can live longer there and punish MK's really well when they try to recover. UpB catches there Tornado and Drill rush recoveries so easily, and sometimes UpB if you're lucky.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I never play on RC anymore. I think it takes away from my style of play and makes me play worse. I don't need it as a CP. I haven't used it in forever, not even against ADHD or the MK I play in tourney.

I like going to FD a lot. G&W can live longer there and punish MK's really well when they try to recover. UpB catches there Tornado and Drill rush recoveries so easily, and sometimes UpB if you're lucky.
Yeah but you main GW, I don't. So it's great for me.

I NEVER counterpick Rainbow Cruise. But I play there almost every tournament because I main IC's lol. Everyone takes me there.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Rainbow is a great stage to learn in general. It's good for GnW because of shield pressure on the left side, low cieling at the top, the wall on the ship for dtilt infinites, and just that his style kind of just fits the stage perfectly. I've beaten people in random MMs there... even with Ivysaur LOL. You just have to learn every single thing about the stage so you don't SD at all and learn all of its tricks and formations.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
We had one a while back that was recently unstickied. It just sorta... died.

I wouldnt be against someone making a new one.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
lol sounds like me. i stopped CPing RC a while back for the same reason.
my staple bread and butter CP now is Delfino. Love it vs Diddys especially since the stage moving hurts diddy's bananas, and low ceiling/short blastzones on some parts makes it easier to kill sometimes. plus approaching from below the stage makes it easier to get in on diddy.

i usually take MKs to Castle Seige, mostly because it's my favorite stage, and i just perform good on it but also because i like to make MKs come to me, instead of having to approach and CS just makes that a bit easier.

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
My ABSOLUTE favorite stage is Brinstar. Given our weakness is dying off ceilings, and Brinstar has a short ceiling, the way the stage is built and with our air mobility, I feel GaW can always out maneuver any character on that stage. And there's a ton of ways to refresh your moves. But there are times I feel that Jungle Japes does its job to help me 2-3 stock people.

lou4222

Smash Lord

As I was saying a couple of months ago, FD is amazing for GW period. Mainly because he lives forever and the up air juggles/ screws up everyones spacing. There are a few characters ( diddy, olimar, ICs) among others that I would never take there. FD is so good vs MK, for the reasons Zac already mentioned.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
ugh. someone come up with something new by tm for day 12. i'm not about to shop in 12 different characters in an hour, won't happen.

and if someone wants to make a christmas-ish type picture for 9, please do so. mine doesn't do it justice.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I better get credit
O_O
Better yet, lets make a game of it. Next person adds the next day.

On the first day of Christmas Game and Watch gave to me...
A fully charged bucket for me!

Add pictures! (we'll string em all together at the end, and maybe make a new post out of it?)
I mean no disrespect PGN, but you came up with the song. I came up with the "everybody takes part" and add pictures idea. I'll give you credit at the bottom, along with whoever else contributed, but cmon mannnnn, its christmas.

btw, just got the last picture done. The twelth day of christmas is now 12 funny fishies. I'll have the thread up in about... 7-8 hours at earliest, 12-15 at latest. School johns; don't let me upload **** to photobucket, even thru proxies.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
As I was saying a couple of months ago, FD is amazing for GW period. Mainly because he lives forever and the up air juggles/ screws up everyones spacing. There are a few characters ( diddy, olimar, ICs) among others that I would never take there. FD is so good vs MK, for the reasons Zac already mentioned.
D: Uhg, I'm so bad with MKs and FD. Or specific tornado-spammy ones. I really don't know what to do against a MK player who only uses tornado throughout the whole match..

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
D: Uhg, I'm so bad with MKs and FD. Or specific tornado-spammy ones. I really don't know what to do against a MK player who only uses tornado throughout the whole match..
OoS UP-B his tornado.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I've upB'd while in tornado and put him into a free fall animation, and then punished with a smash. Is that legit or a one time thing?

Splice

Smash Hero
bait his shuttle loops and up air.
;D
A good MK shouldn't fall for that for the whole match. It's much easier for the MK to read your plan than it is for you to read his reaction. Unless you are in the lead and they are being aggressive.

I mean you can do it for a little while but you can't depend on it.
There is one vid where I ***** an MK with this on FD, pretty n00b but, I will upload it and show you maybe

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
A good MK shouldn't fall for that for the whole match. It's much easier for the MK to read your plan than it is for you to read his reaction. Unless you are in the lead and they are being aggressive.

I mean you can do it for a little while but you can't depend on it.
There is one vid where I ***** an MK with this on FD, pretty n00b but, I will upload it and show you maybe
this is where mindgames come into play.
bait for a while, he'll stop upbing, this gives you chance to hit him and stuff.

Splice

Smash Hero
this is where mindgames come into play.
bait for a while, he'll stop upbing, this gives you chance to hit him and stuff.
well yeah, mindgames is what makes it possible in the first place, and yeah you could mindgame him continually, but he has a lot more options than you ; If he is smart, he has the advantage of options. I'm not saying it's totally impossible, just that in this scenario, the MU is still in his favour.

You might let him hit your Bair one time.
Then you'll jump DI away and Uair next time.
Maybe the next 2 times too!
The MK really should have wisened up by then, it'll have helped a lot, but if he continues to crash into the ****, you have much better mindgames than him and thus can overcome a 65:35 MU, good job you!

Also take note that saying "mindgames make this work" is sorta useless because he can counter mindgame and it makes it a little less about what to do in the MU and more about which player plays more intelligently. And it's so easy to learn GaWs possible mindgame options in this position, whereas MK has mindgames at his disposal too that are probably more numerous and likely to work, as he doesn't telegraph his moves as much as GaW.

They don't have to play the "UpB and Uair" game, either, they can work around it, especially if they have % lead (of course)

1. It's a good tactic, but MK still has a better position than you when you try to set this up, so whilst it's your best bet, your gonna need more than this.
2. MK poops on G&W
3. I hate this post it's too big and semi-useless.
4. If you use it sparingly, you may get your KO's this way.

So it's good for occasions, but your game cant depend on it, so it's not exactly the full summary of what to do to beat his shuttle loop.

Apologies for repetition. . . :urg:

Top Bottom