• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
I'm not good enough to play G&W anymore, I'm just not patient enough to chip away and wait for a good time to land a smash. Plus it's impossible to punish landings I swear. I'll just play a character where I don't have to work very hard like Snake.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Hey, so I'm trying to get good at Brawl, and decided that taking Brawl Ganondorf seriously was pretty much a waste of time. I can't get enough of Brawl Game and Watch, though, so I'm using him a lot now. He's pretty great.

Looking forward to getting some matches recorded for critique in the near future.

Also, I'm going to need some help with understanding some of Game and Watch's better buffering options, and how buffering in Brawl works, as well as understanding how DI in Brawl works compared to Melee (I'm a Melee player lol).

Oh and I guess learning how to bucket brake would help, too.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
DI in Brawl is still about SDIing, and then DIing towards the corners of the stage for longer survivability.

However, after you've received knockback, you have to begin something called momentum canceling.
What you have to do is use your quickest aerial(In G&W's case, his nair), then begin fastfall as soon as your move begins. Maybe even jump if it helps you lengthen your trajectory(Take you towards the corner).

G&W has it simpler, though. He has something called bucket braking, which stops momentum completely. After you've used nair, just simply pull out his bucket and he'll stop dead in his tracks.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
^ For example you can survive a fully charged FSmash from Snake at percentages where characters with a similar weight to G&W would have died, all thanks to Bucket Bracking. I know that because I got my shield broken once against a Snake. Bad move I know, but it shows that Bucket Bracking is very useful =p

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Are there any ways to practice getting good DI? I know how it works and that I'm supposed to aim for the corners, but I find that I forget to DI until after the hit, and it's too late. This causes embarrassing deaths, like dying to Marth Fsmash around 60 percent =[

How do i "practice" DI? I don't want to end up like the West Coast!

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
My best tip for improving your DI would probably just to develop some kind of muscle memory for various moves. Usually you should have enough time to react normally.
When you die, just think about how you put yourself in a punishable/bad situation, and then try to remember to be ready for it next time it happens.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Alright, so SmileyFace has told me that his laptop has crashed, and the combo video he was working on was lost.

I was going to take on this duty, so if you have any good combos send them to me (.bin preferred, but videos work too) in a PM. If it needs to be downloaded, I'll tell you when its safe to take down. If you have any specific texture you want me to use for your combo, send me that file as well (just label it well enough that I know what it is)

Sar

Smash Journeyman

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Lol'd @ the clip. Yeah Meow West coast DI is a general term from the melee days. That rob isn't even west coast, that was just west coast DI. I don't know why he kept DIing into that lol.

To basically piggyback on what Meow was saying, He asked me about the progress of the combo videoa while back and I basically had dropped the whole thing a long time ago because after my hard drive crashed I lost a lot of what I had started and I had gathered a number of replays from people and lost all those too and after that I had sorta lost my drive to continue it because some people i had replays from don't even visit the board anymore and the links expired and i would have to ask for replays again and refind the videos (i had the youtube links in a notepad file i lost as well, etc etc etc so I just lost motivation. Sorta how when you get far in a video game without saving and it freezes and you're like:... **** this.

But he wants to have a go at it so he's gonna do it and me and him are gonna share ideas but it's gonna be all him.

Also: I saw the Neko doubles thing live. It just made me angry actually because everybody was playing so stupid. Neko is actually pretty good though when I watched him play 1v1 I actually learned some things, I'm gonna start using more shorthopped fair because I don't and it's not as bad as I thought it was. Well, I mean, it was working for him *shrug*

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
From this moment, I quit GW. I will be a solo Peach from now on. I'll still hang around.
I'm not good enough to play G&W anymore, I'm just not patient enough to chip away and wait for a good time to land a smash. Plus it's impossible to punish landings I swear. I'll just play a character where I don't have to work very hard like Snake.
Oh danny boy, the pipes...the pipes are calling....
Hey, so I'm trying to get good at Brawl, and decided that taking Brawl Ganondorf seriously was pretty much a waste of time. I can't get enough of Brawl Game and Watch, though, so I'm using him a lot now. He's pretty great.

Looking forward to getting some matches recorded for critique in the near future.

Also, I'm going to need some help with understanding some of Game and Watch's better buffering options, and how buffering in Brawl works, as well as understanding how DI in Brawl works compared to Melee (I'm a Melee player lol).

Oh and I guess learning how to bucket brake would help, too.
I learned going from Brawl to Melee: Gdubs had a hard life in Melee.

How do i "practice" DI? I don't want to end up like the West Coast!
You talkin' bad about Best Coast? Oh, it's on.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Oh danny boy, the pipes...the pipes are calling....
But hey, I didn't quit GW because he sucks or because he is too hard or dumb or anything. I quit all characters except Peach. It's the only way I can keep going, otherwise I would have quit.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
<random>
Gah, need to wait til E3 for more information 'bout SSB4.
X (Monolith Soft) looks really really hype though.
</random>

I'm not dead just... waiting for something new.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Rarely happens with me, actually. Guess I've just learned how and when to use bair.
If it happens, I just try to drift in the least expected way or fastfall so it messes up their punish; there's really not much else to do.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
^ or people you play aren't very good at Sdi :/

So usually people will pick the same option to punish the bair so just find the best way to Sdi that in attempts to put them in the worst position possible

:phone:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
@Eikelmann, I am bad, but he still sucks. He's too weak given how light he is and how bad and linear his recovery is. And he has like no hitstun, he hits like roy I constantly find myself being punished ON HIT it's dumb. His tech chases still require harder reads than other characters with them like snake and D3 and he's not even as powerful. Nair is good that's nice. Even with the buffs bacon still sucks, though. They are not afraid to make Marth the same and then make Gdubs the way he is it's really annoying.

I'm a Bowser main though, so at least I still have him.

@Boss Rising Bairs are harder to SDI out of. Gardex probably uses mostly rising bairs which explains why he doesnt get popped out of often. Normal bairs = that will happen, it's the life of using this character and the main reason I stopped using that move (but now I use it again, although still not as much as some tell me I should) honestly you'll be taking damage as Gdubs a bit don't expect to JV 4 stock anybody because every move the character has is a commitment, it's just a matter of not letting the SDI scare you into not using the move, it's just a matter of mixing it up so that the person can't really mentally prepare themselves in time. It'll happen though, especially players who play you more will SDI bair on reaction. One thing I do is mix up the timing and sometimes i mash down to fastfall after I bair, makes it harder for them to time punishing bair on shield and stuff.

Edit: LOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUxoTd0SfWU

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
So I've been trying to pick up Olimar, for two reasons really

1. So I can focus more on my DI (bad DI = stock). Too often as Gdubs I would just let go of my control stick and go for the nair -> bucket.

2. So I have a high-tier character I could potentially bring out in tournament. This Saturday is Rain in Columbus, so I'll probably try and whip out Olimar game 1 against most people. The tourney has a wide stagelist (two stage bans lol) so if I do lose game 1, I can probably just switch to Gdubs and go Rainbow Cruise, assuming they don't ban it (but idk why anyone would ban it against an olimar ;) )

Sar

Smash Journeyman
I've always had the problem with brawl that after i play for a while it screws up and i get the error message:

"Game disk cannot be read, Please see the instruction manual for more information"

It used to be not that bad (it would happen maybe once every three hours of playing) and i would just have to restart my wii and everything would be fine.

But recently it's gotten a lot worse, like once every 15 minutes. It's becoming unbearable. Has anyone else heard of this/know how to get it fixed? Is it a problem with the wii or the game disk?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Do you have an SD card with hacks on it in the wii while playing?

EDIT: Actually when I have PM in my wii sometimes my wii just freezes up, so it's probably not that. You might just have to buy a new brawl disc.

Top Bottom