• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
My controls are basically the default ones for Wiichuck without tap jump on, so yes I do use C to jump. One thing I found funny, is that if I had tap jump on I find it impossible to DACUS with Snake no matter what, but with tap jump off I can do it just fine.

In Melee, you couldn't configure your controls I believe... I can't imagine Brawl without the customizing controls option O_O

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I would like to report that Dammitom got ***** by my :warioc: in bracket last weekend.

I ran like a ***** and spammed tire gayness.

Next time, we're gonna do the :gw: ditto. Prepare to eat my 9.

And then lose to my :gw:

:yeahboi:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I just don't understand how people play with tap jump off. Like yeah, utilt all of a sudden becomes a lot easier to execute, but it seems like rising aerials becomes incredibly hard.
I always have my thumb on the A button, and I can just roll it from right to left to hit the X button then the A button to do an aerial.

I don't use C stick for aerials except when I'm DIing or something like that.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Yeah, you can literally press X and A at the same time with your thumb. I have Y mapped to grab to make boost pivot grabbing super easy, just roll my thumb over the A and Y buttons.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
I always have my thumb on the A button, and I can just roll it from right to left to hit the X button then the A button to do an aerial.

I don't use C stick for aerials except when I'm DIing or something like that.
Weird, I'm the exact opposite. I use c-stick exclusively for aerials (aside from nair, of course). Having to move the control stick in the direction of the aerial you want to do, and therefore changing the movement of the character itself, seems too limiting. Retreating fairs, bairs, and falling uairs all are next to impossible.

I guess it's just whatever works.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I mean I can still do aerials with the c stick if I can't sacrafice the momentum to move the control stick.

I also have L set to jump if I ever need to do stuff with other characters, like Gdorf SH dair.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
I would like to report that Dammitom got ***** by my :warioc: in bracket last weekend.

I ran like a ***** and spammed tire gayness.

Next time, we're gonna do the :gw: ditto. Prepare to eat my 9.

And then lose to my :gw:

:yeahboi:
Yo Im not scared of your gws imma do so much gay stuff to you in the ditto you're gonna turn straight. :denzel:

Imma tech Chase you so hard your gonna have to change your name back, V.H. :yeahboi:
:phone:

Sar

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to have a small tournament with some of my friends in the near future, somewhere between 10-15 people. Should I do double emilination brackets or pools/round robin?

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
I've done many small Wi-Fi tourneys on DeviantArt (held in the SSBBrawlers group, who's host is one of the admins of Smash Wiki), and my preferred way of doing a tourney is via Round Robin, because one gets to fight everybody, to confront our own skills against every other (as opposed to just a select few via Elimination Brackets). That's my opinion. :)

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Yo Im not scared of your gws imma do so much gay stuff to you in the ditto you're gonna turn straight. :denzel:

Imma tech Chase you so hard your gonna have to change your name back, V.H. :yeahboi:
:phone:

Lmao.

I'm going to destroy you.

Money Match at Lordy's v6.

$20 Minimum.

Come and get educated by a real :gw: son.

:denzel:

Rizen

Smash Legend
*Pops in*
Good luck at the tourney Sar.

I use C for most directional attacks.

Still using G&W with several other characters.

Good luck everyone :)

*pops out*

-LzR-

Smash Hero
How do the tournaments you usually go to work? I was reading this thread Overswarm made and it seemed like his method might be pretty effective. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324691&page=9
I ran that method twice. It was amazing. Things were done fast, everyone got to play a lot more and so on. People didn't like it though so I was forced to change back to pools/bracket method.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Ok, ill probably give that a shot. Rizen, sick picture btw.

And i have another question about usb loading. I got it to work and everything, and i turned on the setting for ocarina, but still no music/textures. I have the files in the right destination folder, wii/apps/rsbe/fighter or whatever ( i cant remember exactly right now, but it worked before w/ gecko, so I know it's right). What am I doing wrong?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Does it annoy anybody else when low tier users (i'm not talking about real low tiers like Falcon I'm talking about mid tier esque types like ROBs and Ness' and whoever) talk to you as if Gdubs is like some top tier character and giving you the: "You don't know my struggle" speech

It's really annoying for me. Like I get it you use a ****ty character but I didn't make your character suck.

So many people don't realize how hard it is to win in tournament with this character. If I had to fight Mario's all day then hell yeah but guess what, I'm losing to the same matchups you are I just have some more manageable ones like Wario and MK

I put work into my character too.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I SORTA think we're mid tier

I think if we didn't have the few evenish matchups we have like D3, Wario, ZSS, TL, Pika and our decent MK matchup we'd be mid. But we do so I think the fact that even though we lose to most of the top tiers it's the fact that we have redeeming matchups that actually matter that makes us borderline.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well there's Olimar, ICs, MK and Marth who are pretty hard for us. 4 hard MUs in toptier really is a good reason to have a character in midtier, but GW should be the best midtier for sure.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
G&W I expect to go down in the next tier list, but I don't think he should be in Mid, even if he was at the top. That's just too low, imo.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
@Smiley That match was yours. Ignoring your janky first loss stock(twas hilarious) and some questionable choices both offensively and defensively(fsmash oos after blocking snake ftilt when he's not even at kill % and NOT backing off/shielding after he shields your bair), you still played really well.

Ending. Usmash, not fsmash. Saved his life, cost yours. Usmash actually has beastly range, so it's not like Snake could've drifted out of its range.

Olimar and MK shouldn't be compared to ICs and Marth

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I remember reading somewhere that our fair can beat Marth's fair. How is this possible? Does ours have higher range?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
@Smiley That match was yours. Ignoring your janky first loss stock(twas hilarious) and some questionable choices both offensively and defensively(fsmash oos after blocking snake ftilt when he's not even at kill % and NOT backing off/shielding after he shields your bair), you still played really well.

Ending. Usmash, not fsmash. Saved his life, cost yours. Usmash actually has beastly range, so it's not like Snake could've drifted out of its range.

Olimar and MK shouldn't be compared to ICs and Marth
Yeah I know. I was expecting an airdodge but Usmash was still the better choice. I actually thought "Which move should I use in this situation" and I chose Fsmash and was wrong *shrug*

Also another thing I did that bothered me was the telegraphed attempt at the Up-B kill. I've never played that guy before so I should've just went for it. But I've done that to everybody in my scene at least once so they all expect it so I bait the air dodge and up-b. Except I never played him so I shoulda just went for it, pretty sure it wouldve won me the match at that point too.

It was also pretty lame because I got first seed and shouldve gotten someone easier. The person in my pool who got second in my pool got an easier opponent than I did because when they seeded they set it up so I didn't play other's from my town. WHich I do appreciate but it kinda screwed me. Next tourney, though.

Edit: Also yeah at the first stock. I thought My key would clank but I guess it didn't come out fast enough :rolleyes:

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Are there many midtier tournies nowadays/is GW usually included as a mid tier? Because as i see it, GW is in a worse position than a lot of mid tiers. Too good to be included in mid tier tournaments, so we can't win those, and too bad to do well in regular tournaments.

And GW should definitely drop in the next tier list seeing as we haven't discovered anything new for him in... forever. And he's so hard to use at higher levels of play. He's just too predicatable, has very few reliable approach options, and very few mixups. When was the last time someone did well with GW at a big tournament? Vinnie uses him now and again, but he always loses.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
GW is still too good for mid tier. I think this is the most accurate position for him to be. He's too good for mid-tier.

He should stay where he is.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Reminiscing on the old days of Gdubs and I noticed someone posted this

"yeah...we need a new gaw player to emerge and play him differently. everyone has the same style and plays GaW the same."

It's funny how the character has evolved, right?

I don't really feel as though this is the case anymore, it seems as though we all play this character with pretty limited options differently. Pretty sure that's out of necessity, though, because if we all played him the same we'd get *****... harder.

Edit: Random Thought: When I was playing M2K at Apex he DI'd my down throw off the ledge into the spike so I couldnt tech chase him, **** blew my mind.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Do we have any grab releases? like at all?

Random thought: why did oldschool ICs think that GW was a bad matchup for them? I'm looking at this oldschool IC guide and it suggested picking up marth as a counter to GW, like wtf.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215

Random thought: why did oldschool ICs think that GW was a bad matchup for them? I'm looking at this oldschool IC guide and it suggested picking up marth as a counter to GW, like wtf.
probably not since g&w is short as hell. maybe if we get someone on the ledge but nothing special besides maybe a free fair.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
jab>footstool>dair?
And our jab has like only three frames of advantage on the hit, which isn't too much, doubt it would work.

But i feel like dair could be used better. It does like 19 damage if you hit with both the spike and the landing hotbox, which is really cool. It's just that hitting with both is kind of hard.

-LzR-

Smash Hero

Back then bair was like the best move. It ***** Icies. Now with ISSDI and bair having been figured out, it's actually very very bad, our worst MU according to Vinnie, though my personal experience leads me to believe GW ***** ICs.

Top Bottom