• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Alphicans

Smash Hero
GaW players should really focus on keeping the dair fresh for around when the opponent gets to the 130% range. Really easy kill move to land.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
probably not since g&w is short as hell. maybe if we get someone on the ledge but nothing special besides maybe a free fair.
Grab release Wario off the edge and receive a free dair spike on him.

As for frametraps, you should try 3rd hit nair to dsmash. Not sure how widely used that is anymore. Also at low percents you can try to do smashes out of fast-falled bair if you space it right. It has a high chance of catching people off guard or even shield poking.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lol, bair to smash trap works at any percent it seems. So like if they don't sdi properly they'll USUALLY end up at about a 45 degree angle above and infront of you, so walk to any smash attack, or slight charge dsmash sometimes connects.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else feel like dthrow tech chase > regrab is kind of pointless? Why not chose to read with a smash attack? Dthrow does 6% whereas usmash and fsmash do nearly three times as much. So one would need to do three perfect dthrow tech chase reads in a row to do the same amount of damage as one smash attack read. Or am I missing something?

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I almost never go for a techchase regrab anymore unless I expect a tech and know I can get the regrab. Otherwise his grabrange is just too low for a regrab to be a reliable follow up. I often just opt for a dash-in upsmash if anything.

If I really want a regrab I'll just jab > regrab.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yeah I think regrab is pretty pointless, unless you wanna tech chase closer to the ledge and then dthrow -> dtilt them off, or fthrow them off the stage to get some edge guarding damage in.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
GaW players should really focus on keeping the dair fresh for around when the opponent gets to the 130% range. Really easy kill move to land.
I do this now actually but a bit different. I wait until 145 and dair or 150 and up tilt (utilt because nobody expects the ko)

:phone:

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Regrabbing can be useful if you need the extra 5-10% to ko. I've done it to a kirby main in az, grabbed him at 70 or so and regrabbed until 85 and then fsmashed him.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
I like to do the regrab sometimes just for the psychological factor of getting "chaingrabbed". It can really get in the other player's head and make them make mistakes trying to avoid the grab. Even if it doesn't do all that much %, it feels like you're getting ***** when G&W regrabs you two or three times.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
^This.

I'm big on psychological play and this is very true.

I believe that for most people momentum sorta works like the stun gauge in street fighter. If you can get a lot of correct reads or hits in a short amount of time you are able to mentally break players and do unspeakable things to them until they regain it back. Depending on how strong the person is mentally getting really strong momentum can literally win you the match. The other players will either just give up (Which is the best feeling in the world to fight against) or play so bad out of the stress of being read so hard they keep making huge mistakes or doing really predictable things. This is obvious to some people but this largely has an effect on how I play I'm always going for that boost of momentum and I always try to push if I feel I have a mental edge over the opponent at that moment in time.

This doesn't work on everyone though because some people are pretty strong mentally. Case in point, the match that knocked me out of losers last weekend went to game 3 and I have a large lead on a wario I was playing and I ran with the momentum really hard until he literally out loud said "**** this" and recomposed himself and started to adapt again. He came back on me and KO'd me with a fart at the ledge at like 42% (He's literally done this multiple times before and will come back from like a 3stock with one of his own in the following match). But then again there's a another mentally weak toon link I play against and he will do really well at keeping me out until I get a lot of momentum and ruin his confidence and he just falls for bait, after bait, after bait and essentially gives up.

What i've noticed on mentally weak players is that regrabs (espexially when you've already ran down their confidence or whatever) destroys them faster than anything else (with Up-B coming in second for some reason) While on the strong players even when you have them mentally broken down they don't get as discouraged by regrabs (when you're successful)

I'm a very read heavy and habit eating player so i would describe my playstyle as very opportunistic and trying to make the most out of that momentum and using THOSE moments to pull off hard reads. You guys would never really see it though because most of the matches I post are of me losing because i feel like an ***hole if I save match where i beat someone if nothing really janky happens or it's a complete ****.

edit: which is why I am such an advocate for side-b because 9 makes people angry and they play bad. Although on some people it makes them play better. Mileage may vary etc etc

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Watch DuelerX he does awesome bacon things.
But yes, I think it's transcendent hitbox could be utilized a lot more.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
It's just the character. I try to explain it to people but everyone in AZ except Me thinks GW is better than he is.

Not that he's bad per se, but it's extremely hard to be consistent with this character. Sometime we get the kill early sometimes we don't, sometimes we live forever, sometimes we die low. It's just sorta you never really know what's gonna happen when you use this character.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I would like to say that the stuff I do is a bit more extreme. It's not "the character" that makes me lose vs. a mid-leveled Snake or a random mid tier player after I've beaten a top 5 Snake in Europe. I simply play like **** vs them.

G&W is a momentum-based character that does well/bad solely based on how "on point" you are. I just magnify those properties into stupidness.

For the record, I do think G&W is a high tier character. Bottom of high tier.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
well yes, but i honestly think toon link will drop in the next tier list and i think gdubs should pass him, but i don't see gdubs making it out of borderline

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Nice set indeed.

Any tips against Lucario ? This matchup is one of the harder I have to deal with (mostly due to that high ranged F-Smash after +100%), and I want to be more efficient as this MU. Thanks in advance :)

Sar

Smash Journeyman
I enjoyed watching that.

A couple things. Punishing snake ftilt with dash attack oos? Is this reliable?

And he used dsmash to punish landings. Is that the best smash to use in those cases? I traditionally go for usmash, but maybe this is better?

And l0l at the suicide game 1. The level of greed.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I enjoyed watching that.

A couple things. Punishing snake ftilt with dash attack oos? Is this reliable?

And he used dsmash to punish landings. Is that the best smash to use in those cases? I traditionally go for usmash, but maybe this is better?

And l0l at the suicide game 1. The level of greed.
I didn't watch it yet but I think Dash attack OOS vs Ftilt is reliable, dont quote me though.

I use Dsmash on Landings because it covers the largest area so it has the best chance of working

Top Bottom