• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Leaving for genesis tomorrow. Gonna rep GaW as hard as I can! Don't be upset when I use my secondaries though (Falco, pika for spacies, MK for clutch situations, ICs for situational moments).
Best of luck man! :)

Hopefully, Game & Watchers can make a huge impact in this tournament forcing everyone to reconsider his position on the current tier list (will be a long time before its changed I know but still hehe).

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Good luck Alphy! Try to be as lame as possible with G&W to show that he's way underrated!

I will have a tourney soon in France, but that will be not this weekend, but the next one. Gonna be something big, and I'll also try to bring G&W as high as possible on this tournament. I'm so glad I can go to this now that I have no more army. Hopefully I can take some neats replays, cause there's not much from my G&W.

Screw the tier list =')

NatP

Smash Ace
Leaving for genesis tomorrow. Gonna rep GaW as hard as I can! Don't be upset when I use my secondaries though (Falco, pika for spacies, MK for clutch situations, ICs for situational moments).
Best of luck, man. :) Just be positive and try to have as much fun as you can!

Ruuku

Smash Lord
15mins away from Geneva on Train. A small city called Nyon.
Yeah, we definitely have had this discussion before. I grew up in Lausanne until I moved to the US in 2001.

You can do it, man! Good luck!

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
I watched quite a few matches of you, Alphican. think they were just pools. From the vids I saw, you were doing great.

Splice

Smash Hero
Good Luck Alphicans, hope you're doing good at Genesis.

I came 9th at the major lol u.u

But i beat most people in MMs so I still think the GaW rep was decent lol
2nd in doubles

Hope alphi does much better, best wishes to him :)

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Good Luck Alphicans, hope you're doing good at Genesis.

I came 9th at the major lol u.u

But i beat most people in MMs so I still think the GaW rep was decent lol
2nd in doubles

Hope alphi does much better, best wishes to him :)
Awesome job man! :)

What character did you team with in doubles (out of interest)?

Splice

Smash Hero
I teamed with a Metaknight. We should have won... when I show you this video... omg

it went to the 2nd set (we were coming from losers we failed our first bracket set due to bad synergy)

each set went to game 5

and the final match of the second set timed out
it was the dumbest thing I have seen. especially the part where I lost my last stock instead of planked only to watch my teammate get stalled for a minute straight afterwards =___=

but jah, I always team with Metaknight, not only because I am really used to it and my friend and past team mate was a MK main, but also most people have pocket MKs that I'd rather team with then say their Falco or some abstract character

Splice

Smash Hero
yeah it is :)

With Genesis,
Anyone know how Alphicans went?
I hope he made it into the bracket :)
and i hope GIMR did well too
GaW rep come on

Splice

Smash Hero
Thanks Ominous :)

Thats good to hear, i await more details from him.

He had atomsk in his pool iirc, i wonder who else beat him?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I wish that was the case, but it is not. I choked vs a DDD. =(

btw there were 2 rounds of pools. My first round pool changed. I got rain instead. Took him to game 3 in a really hype set. The whole venue was cheering for me lol.

Splice

Smash Hero
Wow thats real nice, did rain use falco? Good to hear :)

so did you make it out of second pool? tell all <3

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yes alphy please tell. And guys im having trouble vs olimar again. Marth tips would help too. I keep getting bracket blocked by local olimars and if I can get over it it'd actually be able to do much better. Ive lost to olimars the last 3 tourneys and my mk isnt good enough yet. Even worse my regular playing buddy picked up on this and now when he wants to make me work he just uses olimar. Before I joined the military I was better at this matchup but I forgot everything.

:phone:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Yeah I'm having Olimar trouble as well. Went against Fino and lost BADLY. I just have no idea how to play against Olimars with Game and Watch :(!

:027:

Splice

Smash Hero
OLIMAR:

approach diagonally

dont bother hitting his sheild if you dont have double jump (using bair out of parachute so u get ur jump back is a decent mix-up, dont let him expect it often though)

Dtilt kills pikmin, is fast enough that its decent to kill thrown pikmin without him getting into your zone

SH Nair helps get closer to him without taking too much damage

Dont get grabbed if there is a white on you, try to kill it ASAP

Dthrow to Dtilt next to the edge is a good set up for a really easy gimp if you can read his reaction.

Bait his whistle as he falls. If you fastfall Nair as a reaction to his whistle, you should get him with the end of Nair to hit him back up. Uair also works, and in fact is a real legit kill because the first hit wont hit him away and the 2nd hit with the killer knockback will catch him, so he sets up his own death; oli dies pretty early upwards.

Usmash has pretty big range
, but if you are between Oli and the pikmin vertically you can poke him quite safely, especially if you still have your double jump.

Oli can run up and grab or usmash very fast, landing Fair on the ground or Dair is quite bad. In the air or rising its ok but to actually land these is more dangerous against Oli then it normally is. Be that little bit more careful.

Supposedly Oli likes Lylat, pretty sure he gets more purples, which are the big hassle for GaW. I suggest killing them with a strong move if you can, helps us to approach and removes the big scare, Uthrow with a purple. But anyway, I think Lylat benefits us more so I wouldnt fear it. Oli likes to get under platforms which makes it hard to approach diagonally or use the aerials as early as we would like, but bair reaches under Lylat platforms well and spaces to the tip quite nicely.

Oli can be juggled easier than people think, requires more reading than usual tho

If he looks like he's only JUST going to make to the edge maybe, you arent sure, fast fall Nair to pull him down and UpB to spike him. People think edgeguarding is the godsend vs a tether recovery. It is really good, but you shouldn't let it stop you from going for a legit gimp, in fact the mentality people get from this helps Oli to get gimped less, lol!

Uair and other things that can string can cause hassles, UpB away is ok if u have your jump. Oli can actually juggle GaW without a jump, its pretty serious.

STAGES:
Battlefield is good for Olimar, personally I hate it at least.
Delfino is a decent CP for us. I know Oli is ok here, but for GaW specifically its not a good choice for him.
Frigate is also good, but beware of more purples and prepare to camp hard during that transformation that has two ledges, because its hard to approach him if he's in the middle.

That brings me to my last point: Olimar is a character with powerful stage control. If you can keep him out of the middle of the stage or away from under a platform, he should be feeling quite vulnerable (and he is too). You can abuse this better with practice. Approaching him when he is on the ground is the hardest part of this MU, our approach is really the only place where we lose out. Our platform abuse and air game is better than his. Don't fear the MU, so overcomeable.

At the major I want to, there was an Olimar player who is much better than me as a player in quite a few ways. He kept amazing calm, made patient and very thought through decisions and made very good reads for the kills that i suspect he also used purposeful conditioning to get, or he just analysed people very hard lol.

He came 2nd, but I beat him in a MM. I know the Oli MU very well and was able to abuse a few things, although I was rusty on it. He learnt the GaW MU enough to have a chance against me in the bracket, and I kinda threw the first game <___< which was of course dumb, because even though I 2-stocked him on the CP he managed a clutch victory on his CP even when i was trying hard.

Anyway just from playing those games I've remembered this, if I went back to that bracket set recalling all this I probably would have gotten away with throwing the first game.

I don't know if my experience willl help you beat Fino though, JOEY... Fino is real goods.
Hopefully Smiley can start winning though :)
Good luck to both of you

ps. yes this post is mildly colour coded.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know about the 2nd pools...

But I saw a lot of your first pool matches. Those matches with Rain were pretty awesome. It was pretty close that last match.

The matches with Silly Kyle were pretty good too. I didn't know who to root for that match, because Silly Kyle is from AZ.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I got 25th with Falco/GW. I'm not sure what place alph got

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I saw Alphicans vs Rain on the livestream!

And, you happy with that placing GIMR? Grats, because it was a huge tournament. :)

Wow Splice, that's a lot of info.. Good to use for the next MU thread. xD

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
About Olimar:
Lylat gives us more purples and yellows and Delfino's main platform gives us the best purple pluck percentage for any legal stage in the game (yes, even better than Frigate). Shallow water on Delfino also gives us a ****-ton of blues (67.8% Blue, 16.9% Yellow, 8.5% white, 6.8% Purple), which I love because we do a lot of pivot grabbing against G&W and blue throws do bookoo damage and can actually kill.
This thread has more information on our pluck percentages.
I freaking hate Frigate and Brinstar, but that's heavily biased. Yoshi's might be a good neutral to take us to, but IDK. Seems like it might be harder to get up from the ledge against a Dtilt-spammy G&W there.

Your Dair is so bad (I've never seen it beat out our Uair), Dtilt sends us at a stupid angle and comes out way too fast, we can DI your Bair, umm... IDK what else.
I used to hate playing G&W, but he's a lot easier to space against offline.

...I came in here for a reason, but can't remember it now. Oh well.

Dnyce

Smash Master
OLIMAR:

approach
I lol'd. I don't think I've ever read match-up advice... and figured that they were going to be wrong by the first word. Usually takes a line or two.

L

afk

:shyguy:

EDIT: I respect your avi though... godlike!

Wilmenz

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I will try to make this as easy as possible to understand.

DO NOT USE BAIR ON A GROUNDED OLIMAR

If you Bair his shield he can upsmash oos before you can even retreat and if you hit him with it they can SDI upwards and then use Nair >upsmash you if you don't SDI the Nair. Its a lose-lose situation.

Thank you for reading.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Olimar's mad free, though. He can't even do anything without his pikmin. XP

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I lol'd. I don't think I've ever read match-up advice... and figured that they were going to be wrong by the first word. Usually takes a line or two.

L

afk

:shyguy:

EDIT: I respect your avi though... godlike!
Actually, you're supposed to go pretty aggro in this match up. I may make a write up tomorrow

Splice

Smash Hero
You can totally approach Olimar with GaW :/ GaW keeps pressure on very well too

And whoever said GaWs Dair is especially bad in this MU, i second that if I didn't already say it. As long as the Olimar uses the right pikmin, Uair beats our Dair. I mean I'm pretty sure our Dair goes through white Uair. It's important to know what Pikmin Olimar has and if you see Olimar whistling or doing things to change pikming (like if he throws 2 pikmin and then stops throwing even though he's still at a distance and he has a purple) you should make assumptions on what he's doing and see if you can get inside the Olimar players head.

Also even though Delfino gets more blues, thats better for us then purples who kill better up and Delfinos blast zone and stage changes aid GaW when he needs to camp and some of the transformations make it easier for us to land kills (moreso than Olimar). I stand by the fact it's great lol.

I'm not 100% on how good our Bair is in this MU (in some MUs its totally useless in others its safer) but my spacing is really good and I always keep my second jump so if my Bair hits a sheild I can jump after it connects quite quickly and keep going for a hopeful sheild poke in which case I would use the bair later if I know it will poke.

@GIMR: 25th, at Genesis is really good, you are such a pro GIMR. I was dissapointed to see no Vinnie or UTD at this event but that's a good placing at a tournament with so many top level players. Keen for vids. :)

I didn't get any vids recorded at my tourney V___V
I have another Major this year though(Australia has had many majors this year, pretty hype), hopefully its one of the types of majors I don't choke at and I'll place the usual 5th or something nice. And win doubles. To place second, four times in a row, would surely kill me.

How'd you do in doubles GIMR and who did you team with?

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Actually, you're supposed to go pretty aggro in this match up. I may make a write up tomorrow

Will be looking forward to it, I don't know what to do with oli as well. By the way, I'm seriously considering pricking DDD as a second to counter Snake. =S

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
And whoever said GaWs Dair is especially bad in this MU, i second that if I didn't already say it. As long as the Olimar uses the right pikmin, Uair beats our Dair. I mean I'm pretty sure our Dair goes through white Uair. It's important to know what Pikmin Olimar has and if you see Olimar whistling or doing things to change pikming (like if he throws 2 pikmin and then stops throwing even though he's still at a distance and he has a purple) you should make assumptions on what he's doing and see if you can get inside the Olimar players head.

Also even though Delfino gets more blues, thats better for us then purples who kill better up and Delfinos blast zone and stage changes aid GaW when he needs to camp and some of the transformations make it easier for us to land kills (moreso than Olimar). I stand by the fact it's great lol.

I'm not 100% on how good our Bair is in this MU (in some MUs its totally useless in others its safer) but my spacing is really good and I always keep my second jump so if my Bair hits a sheild I can jump after it connects quite quickly and keep going for a hopeful sheild poke in which case I would use the bair later if I know it will poke. [/SIZE]
With the exception of yellow, all colors share the same size and location for their Uair hitbubbles. I doubt that Dair beats white Uair.

And Delfino mainly gets more PURPLES. The extra blues are just a nice bonus on one part of the stage. You have my apologies if that was unclear.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
@splice: I teamed with Mekos(Lucas). We beat Nick Riddle and Shaky round 1 of the bracket. We got 13th

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
If you Bair his shield he can upsmash oos before you can even retreat and if you hit him with it they can SDI upwards and then use Nair >upsmash you if you don't SDI the Nair. Its a lose-lose situation.

Thank you for reading.
Are you sure they can do either of these even if you space your bair well?

Top Bottom