• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
You sir, who decided to destroy that Pac Man amiibo, are a terrible person.
You are just like the infamous Mariotehplumber, who'd bought 100 Rosa Amiibos just so no one else could get her (actually, that is a good thing for us, considering most Pac-Mains have a hate for Space Elsa as never ending as the galaxy in her dress).
Either way, I'd say how you'd like it if you'd suffer the same fate as Pac-Man. Perhaps Pac-Man would like to test
YOUR durability. I doubt humans are a chewy meal to Pac.
Good day sir. *tips top hat, dramatic exit*

BSP

Smash Legend
Last night on For Glory, I'm against a Falcon.

Being a smart Pac-Man, I abuse Falcon's lack of projectiles and camp the ledge with my trampoline. I punish the dude hard whenever he tries to cross over.

I win two matches in a row, both 2 stocks. He changes his tag to "COWARD!?"

I shrug and continue doing what works.

Next match, changes tag to "U-A-Bi***"

I was tempted to type "Deal with it", but just got another 2 stock and left. Excuse me for not allowing Falcon to obliterate me in neutral with his dumb jab, DA, and dash grab. People act like shield grabbing is an option for me all of the time lol.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Last night on For Glory, I'm against a Falcon.

Being a smart Pac-Man, I abuse Falcon's lack of projectiles and camp the ledge with my trampoline. I punish the dude hard whenever he tries to cross over.

I win two matches in a row, both 2 stocks. He changes his tag to "COWARD!?"

I shrug and continue doing what works.

Next match, changes tag to "U-A-Bi***"

I was tempted to type "Deal with it", but just got another 2 stock and left. Excuse me for not allowing Falcon to obliterate me in neutral with his dumb jab, DA, and dash grab.
DWL

And how do you change your tag between rounds? Is that on the WiiU only?

I had a similar thing happen to me at a tourney last week. I was playing against Little Mac and I spammed Dire Hydrant and Lazy fruit to beat him. He was so salty saying that I only win because of customs and because I pojectile spam and it makes the game boring. I explain to him I have to do this because Little Mac wins up close and he tells me no he knows good Pac-man players who can fight up close and that I need to learn that game! It's funny in hindsight but I was quite insulted at the time.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
DWL

And how do you change your tag between rounds? Is that on the WiiU only?
Might be Wii U only.

I had a similar thing happen to me at a tourney last week. I was playing against Little Mac and I spammed Dire Hydrant and Lazy fruit to beat him. He was so salty saying that I only win because of customs and because I pojectile spam and it makes the game boring. I explain to him I have to do this because Little Mac wins up close and he tells me no he knows good Pac-man players who can fight up close and that I need to learn that game! It's funny in hindsight but I was quite insulted at the time.
Don't let the CQC and neutral gods (Sonic, Falcon, Mac, Luigi, Mario, Fox...) convince you to play their game. That's the quickest way to lose because you're playing right into their strengths with a non-functional grab and overall worse buttons. The only time I'm close to Mac is if I feel like it's my favor, and even then I'm usually trampolining on him and retreating back to the ledge. Don't play their game, make them play yours.

On that note, I wonder when the general public is going to realize Pac-Man's power to completely warp the neutral game for some characters. It's silly.

@ fromundaman fromundaman I critiqued some of your matches in the video thread. Long overdue.

Edit: Guys, imagine Pac-Man with no specials. Fighting those guys I mentioned without trampoline? No thanks.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Might be Wii U only.

Don't let the CQC and neutral gods (Sonic, Falcon, Mac, Luigi, Mario, Fox...) convince you to play their game. That's the quickest way to lose because you're playing right into their strengths with a non-functional grab and overall worse buttons. The only time I'm close to Mac is if I feel like it's my favor, and even then I'm usually trampolining on him and retreating back to the ledge. Don't play their game, make them play yours.

On that note, I wonder when the general public is going to realize Pac-Man's power to completely warp the neutral game for some characters. It's silly.

@ fromundaman fromundaman I critiqued some of your matches in the video thread. Long overdue.

Edit: Guys, imagine Pac-Man with no specials. Fighting those guys I mentioned without trampoline? No thanks.
Lol he wouldn't be Pac-Man anymore. He would be some watered down Mario.

Our specials MAKE the character (and break the game in some respects)

By the time the public realizes that Pac-Man can ignore the nuetral game better than sonic can, it may be too late.

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
Lol he wouldn't be Pac-Man anymore. He would be some watered down Mario.

Our specials MAKE the character (and break the game in some respects)

By the time the public realizes that Pac-Man can ignore the nuetral game better than sonic can, it may be too late.
I personally must agree. Pac-Man's overall versatility and excellent specials just let him shift the game into his favour whenever he really wants to - fighting fire with fire doesn't work with Pac though, his frame data is pretty average overall compared to higher tiers like Shiek and he lacks a decent grab.
He's meant to get the opponent out of their comfort zone and exploit their weaknesses, not play into their trap.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Pacman beats link. I defeated the number 7 player on the 3ds ladder by camping. I didn't realize who he was so I only saved the first game. I will upload in the near future.

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
Finally someone who agrees with me. You don't have to play Link's game. If you camp him out, there isn't much he can do.
That's pretty much irony, considering the amount of Links in For Glory that end up deciding to be a 'scrub' and camp with arrows, bombs, rangs, stuff like that.

Now, why can't I ever fight people like that. I always get stuck with some beastly Yoshi player or someone I can barely win against. :(

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Could someone play me and see if im tourney ready, and give me some feedback ?

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
Could someone play me and see if im tourney ready, and give me some feedback ?
I'd be glad to, but I'm on vcation since today and I got stuff planned tonight. If you're still up to it and I'm still able to play, we could do it later today but kinda late.

Anyway, you're always ready for tourneys. If you're good you can test your skills and establish yourself in the local scene, but if you're bad it's still by far your best learning opportunity. So either way go for it.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
I'd be glad to, but I'm on vcation since today and I got stuff planned tonight. If you're still up to it and I'm still able to play, we could do it later today but kinda late.

Anyway, you're always ready for tourneys. If you're good you can test your skills and establish yourself in the local scene, but if you're bad it's still by far your best learning opportunity. So either way go for it.
Just tell me when dude, i'm ready.

BSP

Smash Legend
Tournament today. Took first in doubles with Brawlman, but with Mario + Falcon. The first thing he said when I brought up doubles was that he tried playing with Pac-Man on his team and the hydrant + trampoline got in his way. Since I was already skeptical of going Pac-Man, I went with Falcon and Mario. Maybe another day for my Pac-Man in teams.

Got 2nd in singles being doubled eliminated by Brawlman who won the thing. All Pac-Man in singles. WF was 3-2 his favor, GFs was 1 set, 3-1 his favor. Sonic v Pac-Man feels like Sonic's favor to me, but not impossible. 40:60 or something. He says he feels it's really close, but I still think Sonic has the edge. Trampoline does major work in the MU, but Sonic can punish it well and sometimes on hit :(. That along with his respectable air game makes me give him favor in the MU. It was streamed, so I should be able to dig the matches up soon.

Got a hype Bell KO too.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Tournament today. Took first in doubles with Brawlman, but with Mario + Falcon. The first thing he said when I brought up doubles was that he tried playing with Pac-Man on his team and the hydrant + trampoline got in his way. Since I was already skeptical of going Pac-Man, I went with Falcon and Mario. Maybe another day for my Pac-Man in teams.

Got 2nd in singles being doubled eliminated by Brawlman who won the thing. WF was 3-2 his favor, GFs was 1 set, 3-1 his favor. Sonic v Pac-Man feels like Sonic's favor to me, but not impossible. 40:60 or something. He says he feels it's really close, but I still think Sonic has the edge. Trampoline does major work in the MU, but Sonic can punish it well and sometimes on hit :(. That along with his respectable air game makes me give him favor in the MU. It was streamed, so I should be able to dig the matches up soon.

Got a hype Bell KO too.
So you didn't ledge camp him?

BSP

Smash Legend
So you didn't ledge camp him?
I did for the most part. When I got hit, I had to be careful about trampoline because he could punish from pretty much anywhere. If I could make it safely, I was near the ledge every chance I got. There were times where I was silly and didn't run straight to the ledge though.

Pac-Man might be screwed for this MU at EVO. Trampoline did most of my damage in the matches.

Edit: After looking at some of the replays I got, I didn't ledge camp hard enough or with all of my tools. I could've continuously launched hydrants with reverse Uair to cover my trampoline disappearing. I should've went for the timeout in every match and focused on getting Key since none of the other fruits were working out that well. SMH.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I did for the most part. When I got hit, I had to be careful about trampoline because he could punish from pretty much anywhere. If I could make it safely, I was near the ledge every chance I got. There were times where I was silly and didn't run straight to the ledge though.

Pac-Man might be screwed for this MU at EVO. Trampoline did most of my damage in the matches.
I'm just hoping that abadango or chef pac brings out some voodoo magic tech that keeps them alive when fighting a sonic like 6wx. I mean, villager mains thought that sonic was a solid 7:3 against them. Then Ranai came...

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm just hoping that abadango or chef pac brings out some voodoo magic tech that keeps them alive when fighting a sonic like 6wx. I mean, villager mains thought that sonic was a solid 7:3 against them. Then Ranai came...
Don't get me wrong, I was very much alive. Most of the matches came down to last hit, but it's easier for Sonic to land that last hit. Game 5 of WF I lost by getting hit by my bell into his Usmash. He was at ~100% and I was well damaged, so a good Usmash would've been game in my favor. NVM he was at 56%. Ih ave a few of them saved.

If Brawlman isn't on 6WX's level, he's very close IMO. He plays neutral extremely well and knows how to press Sonic's strong points. He also knew the MU, as he didn't hesitate to run right through planted hydrants.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Look @ my matches vs. Frozen in the video thread. I played the timeout strategy pretty well in that one. I'll get my matches vs. Dabuz up soon. He chose to camp me when he had the lead, which changes things a bit.

Pocket Rosalina should be pulling her hair out vs. Pac-Main. Seriously, all it takes is one heal off of GP and they flounder.
No wonder he didn't want to play my Pacman XD

We did one friendly with Rosa (went to last stock) then he went Luigi on me saying he hated the Pacman MU. We only had time for like 2-3 matches though before he got called for crews.

_________

On a side note, I missed it before, but @ BSP BSP you were asking for advice on playing 2v2?

I used to think my team worked just because Kirby is so good in doubles, but then when I was in France I did really well with a low level Diddy player. Pac is better in teams than I gave him credit for.

-You know that thing I said a long time ago about Bell being the best teams item? Yeah, don't listen to me, I'm a dumbass. Instead you should listen to me when I say that key is sooooo good in teams. Key allows you to punish from just about anywhere on screen if someone attacks your partner while also piercing. It is basically a super strong ROB laser.
On the flip side, it does mean you're not throwing as many items since you are just keeping key for super strong punishes. However that also means less chance of hitting your ally with a random fruit.

-Our jabs, Utilt, Uair, Ftilt and Dthrow all set up team combos really well. Abuse this.

-That red trampoline at the ledge thing is so dumb in teams. Set it up quickly then ignore the guy on the ledge to team up on the other guy. Depending on the character, some have no options other than to wait it out. This means either they insta-die, or they let you 2v1 their ally for the trampoline's duration.

-Trampoline is super useful for saving allies, or keeping an enemy separated from his ally.

-Both hydrant launch and hydrant water are super disruptive. Depending on the way your team plays and the way the opponent's team plays, using these to disrupt the flow of the game can be very effective. Even just leaving the hydrant out is effective. If the opponent wants to launch it, it still hurts his ally, greatly diminishing the rewards of turning our traps against us.
Between this and trampoline, it can make it difficult for an opponent to get back to his ally.

-When teamed with a character with strong KO moves, you alleviate the issue of killing with Pacman while still being able to rack damage up quickly.

Hope that helps!

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
This is my second attempt at an aggro mega man. Literally no one else in this game interests me like Pac-Man and Mega Man do.

I'm just going to stop saying that I'm dropping mega man. I'm obviously not going to lol

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
This is my second attempt at an aggro mega man. Literally no one else in this game interests me like Pac-Man and Mega Man do.

I'm just going to stop saying that I'm dropping mega man. I'm obviously not going to lol
I'm thinking of picking him back up too. He was fun and I'd rather use him against sonic rather than camp a ledge for 8 minutes.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm thinking of picking him back up too. He was fun and I'd rather use him against sonic rather than camp a ledge for 8 minutes.
I mean, the alternative is pressing A and spamming leaf shield for 8 minutes :awesome:

Edit: Btw, I'm still hoping that abadango pulls something else out that helps us with the sonic matchup at EVO outside of trampoline camping.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I mean, the alternative is pressing A and spamming leaf shield for 8 minutes :awesome:

Edit: Btw, I'm still hoping that abadango pulls something else out that helps us with the sonic matchup at EVO outside of trampoline camping.
Is he going?

I thought Japan wasn't attending due to customs (I could be completely wrong on this, but I recall hearing that somewhere)

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Is he going?

I thought Japan wasn't attending due to customs (I could be completely wrong on this, but I recall hearing that somewhere)
Wow that's would be a real bummer. Can't blame them though, an American only smashboards centric preset for the largests smash 4 tournament in the world was very very stupid.

Moreover if I were Abadango I wouldn't come either, the presets for Pacman are god awful right now.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hello fellow Pac-Men (and Ms. Pac-Mans)

Got Smash 3DS digitally a few days ago as a week early birthday present. Really liking Pac-Man and his potential. I may dedicate to mastering him

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Speaking of EVO I'm gonna go and I wanna know if any other pacs gonna show up?
I'm definately not going. I only use default trampolene and that's not in a single preset.

So my rival at the tourney I go defeated me with he CP rosalina again. I learned that Rosalina is actually once of his mains and not a poclet character. I tried the dair Luma strategy and wasn't enough to beat him. Does anyone know from what distance can gravity pull the fire Hydrant, I'm thinking of spamming on-fire hydrant wait, behind the flame and punishing him everytime he gravity pull's it. I don't think he has any idea how to do deal with it otherwise. Is that a feasible strategy?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Speaking on the sonic matchup, I'm in the small camp that mega man loses that matchup pretty badly. Lemons > Spin dash approach, but what do they do to run up -> shield? If mega man retreats by jumping back, sonic definitely has the speed to close the distance for a quick punish.
It doesn't help that mega man has a pretty bad disadvantage state. Once sonic gets in on mega man, there isn't much mega man can do if sonic keeps up the assault.

Just a mixture of some theorycraft and personal experience with the sonics I fight regularly. Lemons may not be as good in the future against patient opponents that learn to run in after mega man retreats, or have ways to beat lemons (Pac-Man, Marth, Shiek, Fox, Meta Knight, Sonic, Falco, and Captain falcon come to mind as potential threats for mega man)

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Has anyone had problems with greninja because I don't know how to approach him or how to counter him. plz help.
Simple. You don't approach lol.
My matches with @ FullMoon FullMoon have taught me to be more patient against a greninja. Beat out his nair approaches with your trampoline OoS, keep him at bay with your projectiles, and try your best to make it hard for him to approach.

If you want to approach him, abuse his bad OoS game and use dash attack -> trampoline on his shield. He can't punish it. Try running behind melons and Fair'd hydrants as well.

Just watch out for hydro pump gimps. Make sure to recover low to avoid those.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Simple. You don't approach lol.
My matches with @ FullMoon FullMoon have taught me to be more patient against a greninja. Beat out his nair approaches with your trampoline OoS, keep him at bay with your projectiles, and try your best to make it hard for him to approach.

If you want to approach him, abuse his bad OoS game and use dash attack -> trampoline on his shield. He can't punish it. Try running behind melons and Fair'd hydrants as well.

Just watch out for hydro pump gimps. Make sure to recover low to avoid those.
Greninja shouldn't be shielding against Pac-Man much exactly because of his bad OoS options. His mobility can very easily overwhelm Pac and so that's what he should aim to do. Shielding for Greninja should only be done when it's really necessary (it's something I still need to get better at)

If you manage to force Greninja to shield though, abuse that opportunity as much as you can.

Generally Greninja does not want to stop moving in this MU because that gives Pac-Man too much freedom to set up his stuff, Greninja's high short hop is great to help him avoid the fruit while still being able to close in on him.

That Hydrant can go die on a fire though.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Has anyone had problems with greninja because I don't know how to approach him or how to counter him. plz help.
I have never really had a problem with the match up honestly, when landing just be mindful of his dash up smash and remember that they love to sh areal you, you space bairs to beat that, f you have a key charged up you can let it rip wheneve rthey try to charge shuriken. And if I'm not mistaken after blocking forward B you can hard punish with f smash. Make sure to punish him big for that.

Top Bottom