• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Beets

Smash Apprentice
Ah. Well I love Pac-Man! I have decided to use him exclusively so that I may become proficient in him! :chuckle:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
So all great pac-mans know about the certain fruits property of hitting off shield ! Why is this important .. Well we can regrab our fruits ! But we all know that ....

Why im bring this up is in 2v2 for example hitting your fruit on someone shield when they power shield especially it sends the fruit or launch hydrant at different angles and what not! This can be done with your hydrant as well, i love doing this with orange, when i know someone is going to hop over my hydrant i throw my orange or melon at it mostly and they ricochet and the opponent, this is great against most characters , even against rosalina due to the fruits can bouncr off luma and still hit rosalina!

This is really handy on walled stages and so forth!

Last edited:

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Am I the only one who suspects that Pacman beats Diddy?

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
Yeah that's what we determined pre-patch. It was a really momenum based MU, and momentum was both deadly and really hard to catch back. However, Pac had an easier time than Diddy spacing and stopping Diddy before he gets too much work done. It was a battle of Diddy trying to get in and Pac trying to keep him out. He had to play more agressively than usual, and you had to play more defensively, but Pac has such an excellent defense when he need to. So it was even/in pac's favor. At least that's how I view(ed) the MU, and a few other people too.

Now it's a lot similar, but since Diddy has been nerfed, he has more trouble doing certain things than he used to (killing in particular). It's still momentum based and it's still not a MU where you can slack off, but it's a little easier than before, so it's definitely for Pac now.

Beets

Smash Apprentice
what is pac's quickest kill move in the air? i'm looking for something akin to a :link64: spin attack.

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
what is pac's quickest kill move in the air? i'm looking for something akin to a :link64: spin attack.
His Neutral Air. Comes out at Frame 3 and kills pretty decently around the edge.

EDIT - Oh, and he spins when he does it too. But not in a similar manner to Link's Spin Attack Special.

Last edited:

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/PAC-MAN

Nair frame 3
Fair frame 5
Bair frame 9
Uair frame 9
Dair frame 6

Nair is the fastest at frame 3. It can kill, but you have to be kinda close to the blastzone.
Fair/Dair can't kill.
The others are frame 9, which is not slow, but it's not too fast either. Uair can kill close to the ceiling, and Bair has good knockbackso it's deadly at higher percents and off stage. But Nair is mainly for offstage gimps.

Dammit :4greninja:

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Nair is definitely a good air kill move, the only issue is that it will never be fresh.

Actually the same can be said of Bair.

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
Nair is definitely a good air kill move, the only issue is that it will never be fresh.

Actually the same can be said of Bair.
Good point.
N-Air is our combo finisher, one of our best moves out of shield, and as previously stated, our fastest aerial. It's like a powerful sex kick, actually, because of the lower damage later in the moves duration and quick start up time.
B-Air is often used as a method to launch our hydrant, best done when baiting a somewhat predictable projectile with damage that has at least 12% damage or lower, such as Pikachu's Thunder Jolt.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
One good thing I can say though:

Pummels are very good for refreshing moves. Around 100% it can be better to pummel until grab release rather than throw unless you have your back to the ledge. On top of that, our pummel does 3% if I remember correctly, so 3 pummels is more damage than a fresh Fthrow and almost as much as a Dthrow.
This allows us to refresh moves while keeping our kill throws fresh.

Jabs are also a great way to refresh moves and are easy to land since well, our jabs are godlike. Honestly sometimes it is best if you can't punish with a kill move to just punish with jab1>jab2>grab>pummel X3 just to refresh 5 moves.
I don't know exactly how many moves you need to do to completely refresh an attack, but this does make a difference. Doing this every once in a while allows our Nair to actually kind of kill, or at the very least launch far enough to set up ledge traps.

Also hydrant can stale as well, and refreshing hydrant is always a good thing.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Despite my prior love for the stage, I am starting to severely dislike Lylat ever since they patched it. I had my trampoline randomly disappear when recovering with it offstage again this weekend. I don't know what causes this but that is a HUGE bug that has now cost me two tournament matches.
This isn't a bug, this is an intentional direction taken by the developers to fix the Pac-Ladder Online Doubles technique. Trampolines seem to have much shorter duration if they are in the blastzone. This has killed me before too. I think it's a really stupid decision to make that they didn't really think about when making the change.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
This isn't a bug, this is an intentional direction taken by the developers to fix the Pac-Ladder Online Doubles technique. Trampolines seem to have much shorter duration if they are in the blastzone. This has killed me before too. I think it's a really stupid decision to make that they didn't really think about when making the change.
Wow, I am kind of upset at that, but that's actually not what I am talking about. Even with the shortened duration you still have time to make all 3 bounces.

On Lylat I have now had this happen twice where I'm offtstage on the right side a little lower than the stage height but still on screen and my trampoline just vanishes as I'm using it. Every time it has happened it has been on that right side as the stage tilted right.

The first time this happened, my first UpB use made the trampoline instantly yellow for some reason then it turned red at the apex of my jump and disappeared before I got back to it.

The second time it started off blue and just disappeared right as I was about to use the second jump.

BSP

Smash Legend
The first time this happened, my first UpB use made the trampoline instantly yellow for some reason then it turned red at the apex of my jump and disappeared before I got back to it.

The second time it started off blue and just disappeared right as I was about to use the second jump.
Auto banning in tournament now, thanks.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I am kind of upset at that, but that's actually not what I am talking about. Even with the shortened duration you still have time to make all 3 bounces.

On Lylat I have now had this happen twice where I'm offtstage on the right side a little lower than the stage height but still on screen and my trampoline just vanishes as I'm using it. Every time it has happened it has been on that right side as the stage tilted right.

Thanks dude ill watch out for that !!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah it sucks... I loved to CP people to Lylat before the patch, but whatever they did to it in the last patch does that now, and a randomly dropped stock is too high a price to pay for some slopes.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
IDK. Delfino isn't bad, but so many other characters benefit from that stage.

TBH I tend to just CP Smashville in conservative rulesets now (FD always gets banned).

I have been having a string of bad luck on DHD recently; I think my playstyle does not mesh with the way I *should* be playing that stage.

Halberd is a good stage for me, but so many of the tournament characters kill off the top that it's a very risky pick.

Battlefield is my perma-ban. I will never play this stage with Pacman outside of friendlies in this game.

T&C is a stage I'm starting to like a lot more; I may end up CPing this stage more in the future. The platforms are at the right height to escape with trampoline, the low cieling isn't *too* low (And Apple/bell benefit strongly from this anyway), and there's a lot of gimmicky **** we can do here.

Lylat... *sigh* Why did they have to make their patch **** us? I love this stage, except the fear of random death is too strong. Admittedly fixing the engine hole thing was needed, but that also hurt us on this stage by taking away Z-drop kill confirms on shield.

Wherever CS is legal I do strongly like that stage. So many shenanigans and we do have a lot of stage control on all 3 phases.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Eh i have bad memories on CS and I usually ban BF, I LOVE DUCK HUNT , best stage for us imo or smashville, FD is nuetral but delfino and halberd have so many pros for us but at the same time man cons :/

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Double posting, but I've been strongly motivated to get my PPs down, and it's already seeming useful.

Bair>FF>PP Utilt launches the hydrant before the water comes out and is pretty useful as an anti-air hydrant launch.

EDIT:

After paying Lumpy Gravy's Greninja twice in pools this weekend, I feel that is a MU where we can time him out super easily. He has such a hard time going in if a hydrant or trampoline is out.

Last edited:

Jenny Wakeman

Smash Cadet
I've been playing with Enticing Power Pellet today, and it's really interesting. it's a lot stronger than normal PP (Which is already really strong to begin with), and it feels more like a charged up version of default PP. You can actually just spin the PP in place to "charge it up" and then go straight for a strong charge.

What I really got from it though is its edgeguarding. I can see myself having this custom against people with linear recoveries like Ike, Shulk and Ness. Slamming a hydrant on the ledge while edgeguarding with EPP has done some crazy results. I've even managed to gush myself with the water and edgeguard even more efficiently. Against a CPU Shulk I managed to have a hydrant gush water while using the wind from EPP to keep Shulk's Air Slash in place, so he'd get squirt by the water and gimped.

Combined with Lazy Fruit and normal hydrant EPP does work against Ike, specifically.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I've been playing with Enticing Power Pellet today, and it's really interesting. it's a lot stronger than normal PP (Which is already really strong to begin with), and it feels more like a charged up version of default PP. You can actually just spin the PP in place to "charge it up" and then go straight for a strong charge.

What I really got from it though is its edgeguarding. I can see myself having this custom against people with linear recoveries like Ike, Shulk and Ness. Slamming a hydrant on the ledge while edgeguarding with EPP has done some crazy results. I've even managed to gush myself with the water and edgeguard even more efficiently. Against a CPU Shulk I managed to have a hydrant gush water while using the wind from EPP to keep Shulk's Air Slash in place, so he'd get squirt by the water and gimped.

Combined with Lazy Fruit and normal hydrant EPP does work against Ike, specifically.
I personally like it for catching air dodges and edgeuarding. By throwing a melon over the ledge, the opponent is forced to try and find a way onto the stage without touching the ledge. Throwing out an enticing pellet above and behind the melon will "entice" them to check out the PP and BAM! That's a death at around 70%

Beets

Smash Apprentice
I was playing with my friend today using exclusively Pac-Man! Not too sure what to do on the ledge. This one time I trampolined to snap to the ledge, then I pressed down on the ledge and onto my trampoline immediately beneath me and I flew into him for a quick sucker punch! :laugh:

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
1. Against characters not named Falco, jump + down b is okay. Pac is a slow faller (38-40/52) but his down b provides safety.
2. Your jab is not too bad (frame 4) so you can normal gettup and jab.
3. Random get-up attacks and rolls are options if you feel like it.
4. You don't have a reliable fair like Sheik or Villager, so you can't jump and fair to get on stage. You can drop + up b though, it's kind of the same thing if the other player is close to the ledge.
5. The fruits can do a lot of things, you can approach from above with a cherry, an apple or a bell, for example.
6. You can also recover high using side b, or up b not quite near the ledge. To catch platforms or stuff like that.

The most important is mixing up (still depends on the situation). But Pac has more options than most characters.

Also, if the opponent goes to gimp you, don't be afraid to use your jump, fruit or airdodge, as you can recover from almost anywhere. If they want to gimp you they're more likely to miss and let you back on stage safe than against other characters.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So, Abadango just told me that he actually has a use for dair.

Against Rosalina, he uses it close to the edge of the stage to kill Luma. It launches it at a great angle to send it spinning off to its death.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah BSP has been saying that for a while.

There's actually been several good uses for Dair found, though admittedly all are situational.

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653
I have found the Dair to be vary useful against rosa and luma, like said before you can use it to kill luma off stage, but I also find it to be useful for resetting rosa from attacking.
I do Dair -> jump away-> hydrant-> charge fruit.
It works for me most of the time but please if you see anything I could add/change to the combo please tell me, I have been having trouble with rosa and luma recently so if any of you can help me with that it would be great.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I'm going to a customs off tournament today where the competition is going to be real stiff. I don't really have much of a game plan with the default hydrant, hopefully I still do well and learn new things.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I have found the Dair to be vary useful against rosa and luma, like said before you can use it to kill luma off stage, but I also find it to be useful for resetting rosa from attacking.
I do Dair -> jump away-> hydrant-> charge fruit.
It works for me most of the time but please if you see anything I could add/change to the combo please tell me, I have been having trouble with rosa and luma recently so if any of you can help me with that it would be great.
I practiced the dair Luma Strategy the night before yesterday. Seems to work pretty well, Rosalina can't punish you as easily as she'd like because Luma immobile afterwards.

On a side rant in one of my last tourneies I got doubled eliminated by counter pick Rosalina, I really hope this dair Luma strategy works out for me.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Don't only focus on the Dair though. The bigger picture here is the pellet healing tactic. It's what forces rosa on the offensive and exposes her weak rush down.
And GP being very unsafe in mid range helps a lot

Last edited:

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653
Don't only focus on the Dair though. The bigger picture here is the pellet healing tactic. It's what forces rosa on the offensive and exposes her weak rush down.
I agree, the Dair is good for luma but you can't just Dair and expect to win. You need to make sure you do other things.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I tried the Pellet healing, couldn't get it to work well for me. I guess it's something I just needs more practice with.

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653
I tried the Pellet healing, couldn't get it to work well for me. I guess it's something I just needs more practice with.
The PP is super useful with any MU, I like to use it to snap to the ledge it can help if you want to camp the ledge.

Top Bottom