• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Does anyone have an answer for Duck Hunt? I lost winners and grand finals to a duck hunt over the weekend. The best straetegy I could think of was to stay afar, camp and spam key, much like vs link but it's not as effective since Duck Hunter is faster, and is projectles have more variety to them.

How do the pelets interact with his projectiles, does anyone know. Does the pellete stop the gunan and the frisbie?

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Does anyone have an answer for Duck Hunt? I lost winners and grand finals to a duck hunt over the weekend. The best straetegy I could think of was to stay afar, camp and spam key, much like vs link but it's not as effective since Duck Hunter is faster, and is projectles have more variety to them.

How do the pelets interact with his projectiles, does anyone know. Does the pellete stop the gunan and the frisbie?
Power pellet stops clay pigeon, but the gunman goes through everything. You want to rush him down behind Fair'd hydrants that break through his wall with keys that punish his projectile lag.
Giving DHD space isn't good, that's what he wants.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Power pellet stops clay pigeon, but the gunman goes through everything. You want to rush him down behind Fair'd hydrants that break through his wall with keys that punish his projectile lag.
Giving DHD space isn't good, that's what he wants.
Aha, I tried approaching him raw and it just didn't work. I'll try using the hydrant to cover my approach next time.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Aha, I tried approaching him raw and it just didn't work. I'll try using the hydrant to cover my approach next time.
If you have practiced it, I suggest using DITCIT behind the Fair'd hydrant to give you a quick burst option as DHD tries to escape. Key (quick and strong projectile that busts through DHD's projectiles and catches him before he jumps) melon (travels behind you as a tool to stop DHD dr punishing your approach), galaxian (combos), and bell (kills) are best for this

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
So my rival at the tourney I go defeated me with he CP rosalina again. I learned that Rosalina is actually once of his mains and not a poclet character. I tried the dair Luma strategy and wasn't enough to beat him. Does anyone know from what distance can gravity pull the fire Hydrant, I'm thinking of spamming on-fire hydrant wait, behind the flame and punishing him everytime he gravity pull's it. I don't think he has any idea how to do deal with it otherwise. Is that a feasible strategy?
Have you gotten any better at healing off of GP?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I luckily got to play against both a good Greninja and a good DHD the other day:

For greninja, make him approach you. He has no way to safely approach you, loses the ranged game and goes pretty even with us in CQC. This is pretty much a matchup where playing the normal Pacman gameplan disrupts his neutral and kills his options.
If you have a trampoline on-stage, he has a ton of trouble dealing with it too.
Don't be afraid to let the game go to time either. If Greninja starts playing defensive, show him you can do it better.

Be careful on where you trampoline though; while it sends you up high enough for you to make it back to the stage, if Greninja UpB's you after trampoline, he gets a free big punish.

Also you can sideB the shurikens, but only if they are less than half charged.

@Lumpy Gravy Anything else to add?
_________

For DHD, galaga, orange and key all seemed to hurt him. Your aerials beat clay pigeon, and we have a better CQC game. That said, he does outrange us on his normals, his can traps are deadly (Try to keep control of the can when possible) and his zoning/traps in general are on par than ours.

That said, beware the ledge traps. Holy **** are his ledge traps dumb. I would beat Lefty onstage, but the moment he had me on the ledge I would eat a billion damage.

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653
I luckily got to play against both a good Greninja and a good DHD the other day:

For greninja, make him approach you. He has no way to safely approach you, loses the ranged game and goes pretty even with us in CQC. This is pretty much a matchup where playing the normal Pacman gameplan disrupts his neutral and kills his options.
If you have a trampoline on-stage, he has a ton of trouble dealing with it too.
Don't be afraid to let the game go to time either. If Greninja starts playing defensive, show him you can do it better.

Be careful on where you trampoline though; while it sends you up high enough for you to make it back to the stage, if Greninja UpB's you after trampoline, he gets a free big punish.

Also you can sideB the shurikens, but only if they are less than half charged.

@Lumpy Gravy Anything else to add?
_________

For DHD, galaga, orange and key all seemed to hurt him. Your aerials beat clay pigeon, and we have a better CQC game. That said, he does outrange us on his normals, his can traps are deadly (Try to keep control of the can when possible) and his zoning/traps in general are on par than ours.

That said, beware the ledge traps. Holy **** are his ledge traps dumb. I would beat Lefty onstage, but the moment he had me on the ledge I would eat a billion damage.
Thank you, time to play some greninjas. :happysheep:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
@ BSP BSP I sent you the vids, and when you get a chance critique my match in the video thread please.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Can't you easily use the hydrant to bait Gunman fire as soon as they appear so you can easily back-air it straight at DHD?
I thought Gunman Fire goes straight through the Hydrant?
If not, that's really good.

Freaky Fruit might be great against Duck Hunt
Orange kills cans before they land, Galaxian demolishes everything, Strawberry is good when you want close combat but it will send cans towards you, Apple as a good mix-up for Orange, Cherry for Z-Drops and Melon to keep the doggy on the ground.

But I still wanna test if Freaky Orange kills pigeons.

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
I thought Gunman Fire goes straight through the Hydrant?
If not, that's really good.
I can confirm that the Wild Gunman fire does NOT go through the Fire Hydrant, using Training Mode and 2 CPUs (Settings being put to Control) as a test, as it is not a 'piercing' projectile.
So as soon as that dog somehow pulls out a cowboy, place that hydrant, let the gunman fire it and back-air the hydrant straight at Duck Hunt and see how he likes it when it he gets defaced by the hydrant rather than the other way around.
So we actually have ways to counter all of DHD's projectiles, but they're not 100% consistent enough to be considered a hard counter in my opinion.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I can confirm that the Wild Gunman fire does NOT go through the Fire Hydrant, using Training Mode and 2 CPUs (Settings being put to Control) as a test, as it is not a 'piercing' projectile.
So as soon as that dog somehow pulls out a cowboy, place that hydrant, let the gunman fire it and back-air the hydrant straight at Duck Hunt and see how he likes it when it he gets defaced by the hydrant rather than the other way around.
So we actually have ways to counter all of DHD's projectiles, but they're not 100% consistent enough to be considered a hard counter in my opinion.
Especially since Duck Hunt can throw them at the same time.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Have you gotten any better at healing off of GP?
Nope.

And honestly I can't imagine it's something I'm going to get any better at unless I sit down for 30 minutes and practice it, and which is unlikely to happen because i have know one irl to practice with. I just realized that fair the fire hydrant(I've sen Abadango do a reverse u-air which looks great for this as well)like what was reccomended against Duck Hunt, would be much better to punish Rosalina out of the gravitaitonal pull than the on-fire hydrant(that was a part of your strategy as well irrc), so that'll be my gameplan for next time. Hopefully it works.

Last edited:

Dalfiki

Smash Rookie
Hello there, I am a novice Pac-man main. It's nice to finally post in smashboards (this is my first real post).

Quick question:
I do not watch very many Sm4sh tournaments so this may or may not already be used as far as I know.

I've noticed that Pacman can recover from under the stage, like puff or Kirby would, when playing in FD or Battlefield. He can drop from the ledge and recover on the opposite ledge with his power pellet and trampoline jumps.
Would this have practical applications at a tournaments?

I know that it is very risky and I run the chance of getting gimped, but would it work as a mixup or last ditch resort when you would have died regardless (e.g. about to get spiked but DI down and attempt to reach the other ledge)?

EDIT: changed u turn pellet to power pellet

Last edited:

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
Hello there, I am a novice Pac-man main. It's nice to finally post in smashboards (this is my first real post).

Quick question:
I do not watch very many Sm4sh tournaments so this may or may not already be used as far as I know.

I've noticed that Pacman can recover from under the stage, like puff or Kirby would, when playing in FD or Battlefield. He can drop from the ledge and recover on the opposite ledge with his power pellet and trampoline jumps.
Would this have practical applications at a tournaments?

I know that it is very risky and I run the chance of getting gimped, but would it work as a mixup or last ditch resort when you would have died regardless (e.g. about to get spiked but DI down and attempt to reach the other ledge)?

EDIT: changed u turn pellet to power pellet
Hey! Always nice to see a new Pac player!

Unfortunately, going under the stage isn't viable competitively with Pac. A surprising number of characters can do it, but ony Villager and no pikmins Olimar can do it reliably and with some kind of gain. ROB, Kirby and Jiggly might be able to against slower characters. Otherwise it's not worth it.

Pac takes too long to do it, so even if you use it as a mix up, the opponent will be on the other side waiting for you. Your position doesn't get any better. You also can't go back like Villager can, so once you start you must finish the maneuvre.

You have the risk of failling and killing yourself, getting gimped, getting stuck under the stage, or getting your 3rd trampoline jump stolen.

So while you could do it in theory, I wouldn't recommend it as you have nothing to gain and a lot of risk.

Last edited:

Dalfiki

Smash Rookie
Alright , thanks so much for the input. Will take it into account and hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the Pacman in the near future as I get better!

C u soon guys.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Sheik is making me not wanna play this game anymore :/

BSP

Smash Legend
Nope.

And honestly I can't imagine it's something I'm going to get any better at unless I sit down for 30 minutes and practice it, and which is unlikely to happen because i have know one irl to practice with. I just realized that fair the fire hydrant(I've sen Abadango do a reverse u-air which looks great for this as well)like what was reccomended against Duck Hunt, would be much better to punish Rosalina out of the gravitaitonal pull than the on-fire hydrant(that was a part of your strategy as well irrc), so that'll be my gameplan for next time. Hopefully it works.
It's not that hard. All you need to do is a get a feel for GP's range, and then get used to doing it on reaction to Rosalina using it. I play DDR a lot so that has probably upped my reaction speed, but it shouldn't be that hard.

I'm having a little trouble understanding your next part. My strat is constantly fair launching hydrants when it's safe to force Rosalina to do something in neutral. If she insists on GP'ing it away, I'll keep going until I'm back at 0%. I'll get some fruit in my hand too if she really wants to play the waiting game.

@ BSP BSP I sent you the vids, and when you get a chance critique my match in the video thread please.
Thanks. I watched them, but they sorta confirmed my fears about Pac-Man in teams. In every match, you had the highest amount of team attacks. IDK if the other team lauching your hydrant and it hitting your partner counts as a team attack against you. Regardless, it's still not something I don't want to happen. Hydrant is our main landing cover tool, and once it's spent in teams there's a good chance it'll be used to hurt your partner. On top of that, you can't just launch it willy nilly because you might hit your partner too.

Plus, Pac-Man takes time. Time messing with hydrant and charging time is time not spent helping your partner, double teaming someone, or even worse leaving your partner to get double teamed. Until Pac-Man gets to key, he doesn't have a quick projectile to bail his partner out if something bad happens.

The opponents you two played are good players individually, but I think their teamwork could've been better. For example, if that would've been me in there, any time I noticed you and your partner were on separate sides on the stage with you charging something I would make a beeline toward the other side to double team your partner. Unless you're at Key, I know we're safe from quick long range retaliation. Furthermore, I can be pretty sure that you're not going to throw unless your partner is out of the way.

IDK if I did that when we played, but that's the smart thing to do in teams. If I'm playing the Mario + Sonic team that I'll be doing soon, a Sonic grab can mean death at ~50% because his Bthrow and Dthrow are easy to confirm Mario's Fair off of. Otherwise, a simple team combo can be 25%+ in less than two seconds, outpacing Key by a long shot. I'd rather be close to my partner than charging.

https://youtu.be/hICSr-MY1ug?t=129 - right there is the problem I'm envisioning, If red team would've gotten a grab, Mega Man would've died. Pac-Man didn't have Key to support, and he's too slow to get over there himself.

Again, this may just be my style. I believe that Mekos' (top Brawl Lucas, one of the best teams players) doubles strategy is best. Be dynamic, focus on team spacing, team combos, and sandwiching your opponents to limit options and cause big damage. Lucas had a bad grab like us, but he made up for it with an amazing shield pressure game, punish potential, healing potential, and throw followup potential.

-Our jabs, Utilt, Uair, Ftilt and Dthrow all set up team combos really well. Abuse this.
It's a shame our grab is so bad, because our throw setup potential and follow up potential off of a partner's throw is amazing with Dthrow, Key, and Side B.

-That red trampoline at the ledge thing is so dumb in teams. Set it up quickly then ignore the guy on the ledge to team up on the other guy. Depending on the character, some have no options other than to wait it out. This means either they insta-die, or they let you 2v1 their ally for the trampoline's duration.
Legit idea.

-Trampoline is super useful for saving allies, or keeping an enemy separated from his ally.
True. I'm teaming with Sonic though, so I shouldn't have to save him. Latter part is a good consideration though.

-Both hydrant launch and hydrant water are super disruptive. Depending on the way your team plays and the way the opponent's team plays, using these to disrupt the flow of the game can be very effective. Even just leaving the hydrant out is effective. If the opponent wants to launch it, it still hurts his ally, greatly diminishing the rewards of turning our traps against us.
Between this and trampoline, it can make it difficult for an opponent to get back to his ally.
Yeah, my Sonic buddy said they got in his way :( I'm OCD about team attack potential too. I'd rather avoid it at almost all costs.

-When teamed with a character with strong KO moves, you alleviate the issue of killing with Pacman while still being able to rack damage up quickly.
Even if you aren't, confirming Side B off of your partner's throws is extremely powerful.

All of this being said, I haven't tried Pac-Man seriously in a teams match yet. Maybe I'll experiment more online (>_>), but I don't see myself staying on him for doubles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noRI0fom5dU

Ike in this set is the same style I play teams. He lets Rosalina be the aggressor and backs her up + does powerful conversions off of her stuff. I don't think Pac-Man is the character for that style.

Last edited:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
@ BSP BSP i think the team kills are okay if its a pretty fair trade, i use villager in teams too, I think it all comes down to how well your partner knows you. A lot of the time my partner sees the hydrant coming but its a very dangerous game.

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
WARNING - This is a bit of a rant.

Appearently from what my sources tell me, ZeRo made part 3 of his Tier List videos and put Pac-Man at 20th, within the higher area of the 'mid-tier'.
And him saying this is actually making him fairly annoyed. Ugh, peoples opinions...

- 'His customs don't really benefit him that much.' This is what is truly peeving me off here.
Has he even fought a custom Pac-Man before? With your standard run-of-the-mill customless Pac-Man, you only need to worry about water hydrants, and 8 different fruits. With customs, there are 24 different projectiles that can be used with his Neutral B, 3 different recovery options, with two that can also be used as spacing tools, and two different hydrants, having to know all these things when up against a custom Pac-Man is nearly as nightmarish as your average Counter Timber Villager.
- He put him lower than R.O.B. and Palutena just because he doesn't have a 'kill-throw'. Kill throws aren't everything in Smash 4, y'know! Sheik and Diddy (post 1.0.6) have pretty poor kill options, yet they're top tier. It's the same case for Pac-Man, except he actually has ways to work around this flaw.
- He says that Pac-Man has the tools to work at a high/top tier level, but I don't even feel like he understands the potential Pac-Man even has competitively. He also mentions that we people haven't been experimenting with customs that much either.
- His previous video put Wario at the bottom of the 'high-tier', literally for two similar reasons (Abadango representing him, lack of results).

I understand you guys think this is all just opinion based things for his video, but it's really sad that he didn't research a bit more about Pac and what he can actually do.

BSP

Smash Legend
#20 is around where I would put Pac-Man. No lower, but only #15 at the highest.

- He put him lower than R.O.B. and Palutena just because he doesn't have a 'kill-throw'. Kill throws aren't everything in Smash 4, y'know! Sheik and Diddy (post 1.0.6) have pretty poor kill options, yet they're top tier. It's the same case for Pac-Man, except he actually has ways to work around this flaw.
I'm with Zero. KO throws are a big deal. We don't have a reliable way to KO people for shielding too much.

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653
I got another team for you guys to analyze. What do you guys think of :4pacman: and :4pikachu: there potential as a team.

I think that :4pacman: would be a good support for :4pikachu:. He could zone the other team and :4pikachu: could rush them down and go for the kills but I don't know that's just me and I'm not much of an analyst my self. Anyway what do you guys think?

Beets

Smash Apprentice
Very yellow. Good synergy. Nice touch of red on both. Not enough blue, however. They could use it to round out the primary trio.

BSP

Smash Legend
I got another team for you guys to analyze. What do you guys think of :4pacman: and :4pikachu: there potential as a team.

I think that :4pacman: would be a good support for :4pikachu:. He could zone the other team and :4pikachu: could rush them down and go for the kills but I don't know that's just me and I'm not much of an analyst my self. Anyway what do you guys think?
Pikachu is a solid character all around, and his Bthrow and Fthrow are great doubles throws. Pikachu can probably team with anyone and be fine.

I still don't think Pac-Man hanging back and charging is a good idea, but it might be ok if your partner waits for you. However, that most likely means you'll give up stage control in the process.

everyone should have a kill throw.

every. single. character.
How so? I think throws are handled fine in this game. Pac-Man's Uthrow and Bthrow could use a knockback buff IMO considering how much of a challenge it is to grab in the first place, but other than that I think most throw games are pretty good. Outside of Ness, no one has a throw in of itself as a primary KO option, and most people have throws that'll KO at 170%+ if you really can't get that KO. The ones that don't tend to be mobility monsters that can pressure you hard enough to land the hit anyway.

Last edited:

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
@ BSP BSP I'd consider 4 characters have a ''real'' kill throw, as in one of their main killing moves. Tink (Bthrow), Mewtwo (Uthrow), Ness (Bthrow) and possibly DK (Bthrow).

Then you have a good number of characters with solid Bthrows that kill near the ledge, like Villager or Mario. I agree that putting just a little more knockback on Pac's Bthrow would be pretty sweet. The grab would be more rewarding and he could use another situational kill move. Or maybe give him something like Marth's Uthrow that kills at 160. That would be cool too.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
I believe its because you power shielded it, the fruits go at different trajectories and keep their hitboxes when that happens.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
everyone should have a kill throw.

every. single. character.
I would probably cry if Sheik had a kill throw.

I would cry because she'd be banned on the spot.

Chrisall76 on reddit was nice enough to make gyfs out of these.

http://gfycat.com/PeskyWelldocumentedCockatiel

http://gfycat.com/CapitalThatHapuku

http://gfycat.com/DefenselessHeavenlyHarborporpoise

Anyone know whats up with the galaga one though? I shielded the first two hits but then got hit again twice after. I'm starting to think that as long as its flying, it refreshes its hitbox every other second. Or maybe up thrown galaga has different properties?
I would guess that they have a rehit rate, so their hitbox refreshes every x frames.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
#20 is around where I would put Pac-Man. No lower, but only #15 at the highest.

I'm with Zero. KO throws are a big deal. We don't have a reliable way to KO people for shielding too much.
Yeah, if R.O.B didn't have H00H-H4H, Pac and him would be switched, but that thing kills a shielding opponent.
It's his CQC-card.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
So I've been messing around with footstools and I may have found an infinite with every fruit!!

Z drop any fruit on opponent's head -> FF Weak hit of nair-> pick up fruit and repeat.

I may make a video of it if I can get it down more consistently.

Chrisall76 on reddit was nice enough to make gyfs out of these.

http://gfycat.com/PeskyWelldocumentedCockatiel

http://gfycat.com/CapitalThatHapuku

http://gfycat.com/DefenselessHeavenlyHarborporpoise

Anyone know whats up with the galaga one though? I shielded the first two hits but then got hit again twice after. I'm starting to think that as long as its flying, it refreshes its hitbox every other second. Or maybe up thrown galaga has different properties?
I had a feeling that you were the pacman that everyone was talking about on shofu's Twitter page lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom