• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
Playing Pac-Man somewhat screws you over with others because he plays a completely different game. When I go Mario now, I realize just how much having trampoline and fire hydrant carry me change neutral for my opponents. They become so much more predictable, and I have to be smarter when that's gone.

Not that much with me. I main both Wario and Pac-Man and I switch off between them and I can use them both pretty fine. I rarely use any other characters the only characters I may sometimes use are Duck Hunt, and King Dedede and occasionally Olimar.

Other than that I mainly only use Wario and Pac-Man.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
There just aren't too many Pacmains making waves right now outside of local tournaments. That and the character doesn't come off as particularly interesting or exciting up front. If Abandango makes another good showing this year at EVO, he'll put us on the map (heck admittedly he wasn't even a Pacman main at first)

BSP

Smash Legend
There just aren't too many Pacmains making waves right now outside of local tournaments. That and the character doesn't come off as particularly interesting or exciting up front. If Abandango makes another good showing this year at EVO, he'll put us on the map (heck admittedly he wasn't even a Pacman main at first)
I would've thought the power to force people to jump in order to get in on you would be pretty obvious, especially with how this game punishes airdodging into the ground. I would think that, along with the more subtle observation that staying close to your trampoline makes the opponent's grounded frame data, movement, grab game, etc., largely irrelevant, would draw some attention.

He's definitely got some flaws, but controlling neutral is an extremely powerful tool if you ask me. I still believe pac man would be the best in the game with a normal grab. It'd be way too easy.

In fact, I still blame his grab for our lack of rep. It probably turns players away immediately, and, like you said, he doesn't come off as powerful until you start working with him a bit.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I admit, when I first picked up Pacman I thought I had once again been drawn to a low tier character XD

I've never been more pleased to be wrong.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I admit, when I first picked up Pacman I thought I had once again been drawn to a low tier character XD

I've never been more pleased to be wrong.
I kind of got that vibe from you when you first appeared on this thread lol.

I saw potential since I first layed eyes on him. And my love for the character just wouldn't let me think he was bad in any way lol

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, I'd just come off of Injustice's Joker, an offensive trap based character with limitless potential who got screwed by a few bad game mechanics. Honestly, with Pacman's grab, that sounded about the same (In fact it kind of is, though Pacman doesn't really get screwed by game mechanics much and instead of having a bad neutral like Joker did he has a godlike neutral that destroys other characters' neutrals).

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
This is the social thread right? Didn't seem like it at first but the directory says it is. Anyways!

I'm tired as **** and I don't even have my Wii U hooked up but tomorrow some time I'm either gonna edit this post or make a new one on here showing a replay (that will be recorded by my awful capture card so be ready for poor quality) where Pac-Man basically scars through Omega Mushroom Kingdom U ala Brawl Wolf. Neither I or my partner were the Pac-Man player and when asking through names how the scar happened, my opponents never answered and actually left. I'm not sure if this is a common thing or not but it surprised me.

The most clarification I can give without uploading the replay is it was For Glory doubles and as far as I know all the Pac-Man player did was use his up special near the right wall of the stage trying to recover. His first bounce didn't get him high enough and his second bounce sent him through the stage wall and onto the stage, hence why I say he scarred.

Anyways, as I said, tired and Wii U isn't hooked up so I'ma save the replay for tomorrow but someone can feel free to post something to remind me since the moment I hit 'post reply' I'll be watching this thread.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
This is the social thread right? Didn't seem like it at first but the directory says it is. Anyways!

I'm tired as **** and I don't even have my Wii U hooked up but tomorrow some time I'm either gonna edit this post or make a new one on here showing a replay (that will be recorded by my awful capture card so be ready for poor quality) where Pac-Man basically scars through Omega Mushroom Kingdom U ala Brawl Wolf. Neither I or my partner were the Pac-Man player and when asking through names how the scar happened, my opponents never answered and actually left. I'm not sure if this is a common thing or not but it surprised me.

The most clarification I can give without uploading the replay is it was For Glory doubles and as far as I know all the Pac-Man player did was use his up special near the right wall of the stage trying to recover. His first bounce didn't get him high enough and his second bounce sent him through the stage wall and onto the stage, hence why I say he scarred.

Anyways, as I said, tired and Wii U isn't hooked up so I'ma save the replay for tomorrow but someone can feel free to post something to remind me since the moment I hit 'post reply' I'll be watching this thread.
If I understand you correctly, I know what you're talking about. And that happens since the patch, actually.

http://smashboards.com/threads/walled-stage-up-b-glitch.406846/

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I won my first tournament yesterday XD. I had gotten second 3 times and I finally won this time. To top it off I had to beat a Shiek in finals too.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Congratulations!
What I tell you? Shiek isn't that bad.
Tough, but definitely not "impossible"
I'm still thinking it may be Paacman's worst matchup with the possible exception of Rosalina(you can disagree with me all you want on Rosa),

On a different note. I tried Meteor-Trampolene for the first time in tourney since I'm at such a loss to do when it comes with Sheik and overall I like it. It's good because Shiek usually kills of the top and she likes to off stage a lot. You're done if she breaks your side-b pellet though.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Tada! Pac-Man looking like :wolf:

Edit: Just went to training and was able to replicate it myself numerous times. You don't even have to hold down like traditional scarring. You just need the right spacing and hold toward the stage.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Tada! Pac-Man looking like :wolf:

Edit: Just went to training and was able to replicate it myself numerous times. You don't even have to hold down like traditional scarring. You just need the right spacing and hold toward the stage.
This is definitely a change. Maybe Sakurai saw all the matches I had on smash ladder when I would get stuck under the curved part of the stage on halberd...

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
This is definitely a change. Maybe Sakurai saw all the matches I had on smash ladder when I would get stuck under the curved part of the stage on halberd...
You mentioned Halberd so I tested it there and he can do it there too easily. Gets under the main platform too.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You mentioned Halberd so I tested it there and he can do it there too easily. Gets under the main platform too.
Do you mean he goes inside the ship? If he does this just became super super dumb.

New timeout stage confirmed!

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Do you mean he goes inside the ship? If he does this just became super super dumb.

New timeout stage confirmed!
Yes. He ends up in the stage and able to move around and shark with upsmash/utilt. The claw can't even touch him.

Edit: I can record it and show it for all to see if anyone wants. Pretty easy to replicate though. Although I'm gonna test if there's certain restrictions like I think you need to be looking toward the stage rather than away from it and I haven't tried on the left side of either of the stages. I've been trying to get it to work on a few other stages like Castle Siege and PS2, no luck though.

Edit2: Neither of those are restrictions. You can do it on either side and it doesn't matter what way you're looking. I don't even use Pac-Man but this is ridiculous xD

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Wow...so now we can send both our partner and ourselves inside the ship. This is super stupid. The anubis strategy is back!

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
I found a pac man grab confirm !! If you have a hydrant in front of you, grab the opponent while the water pushes the opponent then down throw, the second gust of water covers all get up options and pushes them back for a second grab !!

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
If they do a get up attack you can shield it then grab them, and if they stay on the ground you can get a free smash attack or relatively anything if you do it fast enough.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I found a pac man grab confirm !! If you have a hydrant in front of you, grab the opponent while the water pushes the opponent then down throw, the second gust of water covers all get up options and pushes them back for a second grab !!
Oh? The cool thing about that is if you miss the grab the water from the hydrant is likely to push you to safety. Or for the spacing would you need to be too far for that to work?

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
After the throw you stay at the same distance from which you threw them lol the hydrant is like " i got you bro " and pushes them back to you.

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
hey not sure if this has been discussed, but did anyone notice how fast the fruit fly when thrown while being push by the hydrant? Doesn't work with fruit you've picked it up

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Right side only?!
Maaaan... The day he showed the glitch I spent 3 hours trying to do it.... on the left side...

Now I have it down fairly consistently. While this is insanely good, I do want to point out a few things:

-Hitbox does NOT reach below the ledge.
-If the opponent attacks it, the hitbox is gone. Similarly it can only hit a target once and generally follows bouncing hydrant rules.
-Once an opponent negates the hitbox, they can attack the hydrant and launch it against you, but you will not be able to attack the hydrant for it's entire duration unless it is launched at you. Basically be careful not to give a hydrant away for free.
-Ledge rolls get past it. However if you place a trampoline on it then it will launch them back towards you at a great angle to combo into a Usmash at most %s.
-While it does not hit during the 2 frames of vulnerability on a ledge snap, nor will it hit an opponent hanging until invul wears off (Unless their hurtbox goes above the ledge), it WILL prevent regrabbing the ledge without invulnerability.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So, guess who has a birthday today?

It's me.
Happy Birthday! I hope it's a great one!

Yes. He ends up in the stage and able to move around and shark with upsmash/utilt. The claw can't even touch him.

Edit: I can record it and show it for all to see if anyone wants. Pretty easy to replicate though. Although I'm gonna test if there's certain restrictions like I think you need to be looking toward the stage rather than away from it and I haven't tried on the left side of either of the stages. I've been trying to get it to work on a few other stages like Castle Siege and PS2, no luck though.

Edit2: Neither of those are restrictions. You can do it on either side and it doesn't matter what way you're looking. I don't even use Pac-Man but this is ridiculous xD

I can't seem to get this to work on Halberd. A video would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom