• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
- He put him lower than R.O.B. and Palutena just because he doesn't have a 'kill-throw'. Kill throws aren't everything in Smash 4, y'know! Sheik and Diddy (post 1.0.6) have pretty poor kill options, yet they're top tier. It's the same case for Pac-Man, except he actually has ways to work around this flaw.
B-but doesn't Bthrow kill?

Maybe Pac's customs are bad but that doesn't make HIM bad. He's still pretty good. Honestly his customs aren't even that BAD, the trampolines are good alternatives, On-Fire is pretty good too, and the other Fruits are good too. The only bad ones are side-b ones (maybe not distant? dunno), and Dire Hydrant. I don't care what anyone says I hate Dire Hydrant WHY DOESN'T IT KO JUST GIVE ME A KO HYDRANT SOCCER GUY

20th, though? ZeRo, this isn't 3DS launch.

I still think he's arguably B/C tier, but I respect his opinions.

Last edited:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Yep, in the video Zero did mention customs for 'Tena.
We can breathe easy.
Thank goodness. I was about to wonder about how he plays this game if he thinks DEFAULT Palutena is mid tier, let alone above characters like Shulk.

Again, it's just his opinion, so it really doesn't mean he thinks Pac-Man is BAD, persay. Probably just thinks he's lacking, though I don't think ZeRo plays Pac-Man, or even touches him. He played him like, once, for his early 3DS analysis on the character, and that's it.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Yo @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer
You trying to become a new Pac-Main? Lol
You're started to lurk around here pretty frequently now.
I visit all the boards frequently in pursuit of knowledge. Often I have to do research also into a character before I do frame data for them too.

PAC-MAN isn't really my style of character though. :142:

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
I visit all the boards frequently in pursuit of knowledge. Often I have to do research also into a character before I do frame data for them too.

PAC-MAN isn't really my style of character though. :142:
Bit of a shame that you don't join us, man. Sensei Maribro hasn't been on Smashboards that often recently and I was a bit worried for him. Guess I'm stuck being the only Australian Pac-Main here until he comes back. :ohwell:

BSP

Smash Legend
@ BSP BSP I'd consider 4 characters have a ''real'' kill throw, as in one of their main killing moves. Tink (Bthrow), Mewtwo (Uthrow), Ness (Bthrow) and possibly DK (Bthrow).

Then you have a good number of characters with solid Bthrows that kill near the ledge, like Villager or Mario. I agree that putting just a little more knockback on Pac's Bthrow would be pretty sweet. The grab would be more rewarding and he could use another situational kill move. Or maybe give him something like Marth's Uthrow that kills at 160. That would be cool too.
Smash Shulk Dthrow is worth considering.

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
Would be a lot more threatening if you couldn't just camp him out the entire duration of smash mode.

I don't understand why they didn't up his mobility in that mode just a little.
Because it's SMASH mode, not SPEED mode.
It would make absolutely no sense if Shulk's Smash Monado gave him more speed.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Because it's SMASH mode, not SPEED mode.
It would make absolutely no sense if Shulk's Smash Monado gave him more speed.
Obviously, but you're missing my point. What is the point of a smash mode when shulk can't hit you?

Smash mode was made to finish the opponent off with high knock back moves, (IMO) but it wasn't executed well because you can just lame him out until it ends. Same with shield mode (although I understand why that one needs to be slow)

This may just come from my perception that smash mode should be the "finish him" mode.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Obviously, but you're missing my point. What is the point of a smash mode when shulk can't hit you?

Smash mode was made to finish the opponent off with high knock back moves, but it wasn't executed well because you can just lame him out until it ends. Same with shield mode (although I understand why that one needs to be slow)

This may just come from my perceptiom that smash mode should be the "finish him" mode.
It doesn't slow him down either. And I suppose Buster is bad because that one doesn't boost your speed either?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
It doesn't slow him down either. And I suppose Buster is bad because that one doesn't boost your speed either?
No, because buster mode has stupid shield stun and shield damage. You can't block him out for too long (unless you have something like needles)

It doesn't slow him down no, but shulk's design wasn't made to rush in (slow frame data and big range) so going for the kill without a read is pretty difficult even with smash.

I never said smash was a bad art, I just said that it wasn't executed as well as it could have. Now smash art offstage is crazy good lol. One fair and you are done.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
No, because buster mode has stupid shield stun and shield damage. You can't block him out for too long (unless you have something like needles)

It doesn't slow him down no, but shulk's design wasn't made to rush in (slow frame data and big range) so going for the kill without a read is pretty difficult even with smash.

I never said smash was a bad art, I just said that it wasn't executed as well as it could have. Now smash art offstage is crazy good lol. One fair and you are done.
Smash lets him kill with his tilts and a throw. It's not really a "finishing" art so much as it is a high risk high reward
art where you can kill very early with power moves or turn some of your safer moves into killers with the risk
of lower shield safety and possiblt dying early.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Just wondering: Am I the only one who wouldn't have minded Martin T. Sherman returning to voice the yellow 'fella? I'm not saying he has to have voice acting but I personally really liked his portrayal of Pac-Man. ((He's better than Erin Mathews though... No offense.))

But anyways: I can easily say Pac is the best character for Master Fortress, Those damn laser cannons still are a pain though.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
Guys after the patch I swear Pac's f smash has been buffed.

It's almost killing ROB at the center of BF Omega at 100% and is killing super early at the side of the stage. I don't have anything to compare to, but I played with my friends for 7+ hours today and I swear it feels different.

BSP

Smash Legend
To avoid placebo, I took note of KO %s for some of our main KO moves. Took down damage of each move too. I forgot to do throws, but that's not that big of a deal unless our grab has gotten better.

Does this patch kill replays? I forgot to note grab's total time duration, but I'm guessing its still bad.

All training mode, KOs are from center of omega Pac-land on Pac-Man himself, no DI.

Jab. 3,2,4
Ftilt 8
Dtilt 6
Utilt 7
Fsmash 16. KO 102(hit at 102)
Dsmash 13. KO 131-133(was finicky)
Usmash 17. KO 108
Nair 10
Fair 5
Dair 10
Bair 11. KO 155
Uair 10 KO 179
Cherry 4
Strawberry 6
Orange 8. KO 202
Apple 9. KO 135
Melon 12. KO 143
Galaxian 9
Bell 8
Key 15 KO 128-129
Side B dash start 10
Side B uncharged 6
Side B full charge 12. KO 115
Up B 7,8,10
Down b drop 9
Down B launch 13 KO 143

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
I was sure F-smash was buffed too but I wasn't able to find KO %s from previous patches.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
To avoid placebo, I took note of KO %s for some of our main KO moves. Took down damage of each move too. I forgot to do throws, but that's not that big of a deal unless our grab has gotten better.

Does this patch kill replays? I forgot to note grab's total time duration, but I'm guessing its still bad.

All training mode, KOs are from center of omega Pac-land on Pac-Man himself, no DI.

Jab. 3,2,4
Ftilt 8
Dtilt 6
Utilt 7
Fsmash 16. KO 102(hit at 102)
Dsmash 13. KO 131-133(was finicky)
Usmash 17. KO 108
Nair 10
Fair 5
Dair 10
Bair 11. KO 155
Uair 10 KO 179
Cherry 4
Strawberry 6
Orange 8. KO 202
Apple 9. KO 135
Melon 12. KO 143
Galaxian 9
Bell 8
Key 15 KO 128-129
Side B dash start 10
Side B uncharged 6
Side B full charge 12. KO 115
Up B 7,8,10
Down b drop 9
Down B launch 13 KO 143
Is that Fsmash stronger than before?

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Testing F-Smash using BSP's conditions, I'm able to KO 1% earlier.

What did you have the CPU set to BSP? CPUs set to stop still DI. If you want no DI try control or just pause directly after you release the smash attack.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Is that Fsmash stronger than before?
No
I'm getting no changes to his smashes.
Nothing different on my end.

I could do 48 grabs in 60 seconds (last one didn't fully finish though). Let me do the math with grab from the frame data thread and see if that checks out.

Frame data says grab is 76 frames. This game is 60 fps, isn't it? So a minute is 3600 frames. 3600 frames / 76 frames per grab = 47.368 grabs. I'll say grab got no changes until proven otherwise. The arm is still a dead zone and the whole beam doesn't grab.

Last edited:

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
The first thing I literally did here after the update was check to see if there was any nerfs for Sonic or Rosa.
I just want them to feel some pain after they've given us so much, y'know? :c

BSP

Smash Legend
Testing F-Smash using BSP's conditions, I'm able to KO 1% earlier.

What did you have the CPU set to BSP? CPUs set to stop still DI. If you want no DI try control or just pause directly after you release the smash attack.
I had Pac-Man on control.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
So far I see nothing except for a possible Fair range increase that hasn't been confirmed yet
Yeah, i didn't notice anything either. Buffs would've been nice, but it's much better to get nothing than get a nerf.

Also HOLY **** RYU IS SUPER ****ING FUN

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Yeah, i didn't notice anything either. Buffs would've been nice, but it's much better to get nothing than get a nerf.

Also HOLY **** RYU IS SUPER ****ING FUN
I have been having so much fun with Ryu. The only problem is that his input based commands are a nightmare to pull off on the 3ds. After my absimal performance with Robin this weekend I'm thinking of picking up Ryu as my new secondary. It seems like there are a lot of matchups he'll struggle with though.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Ryu is fun, but he is held back by analog sticks, Gamecube controllers analog are horrible for that kind of input. I would not be surprised to see people that main Ryu bring fight sticks to Tournaments now -_-

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
I have been having so much fun with Ryu. The only problem is that his input based commands are a nightmare to pull off on the 3ds. After my absimal performance with Robin this weekend I'm thinking of picking up Ryu as my new secondary. It seems like there are a lot of matchups he'll struggle with though.
Ryu's my co-main. Can't ever drop Pac but I LOVE him.

Ryu struggles from projectiles and range issues, so characters like ROB or even Pac-Man might give him trouble. He CAN get in, but these characters may make it tough.

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
So Pac is by far my favorite smash character in all of smash, I was wondering are there any other characters in the other games that feel similar to him?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
So Pac is by far my favorite smash character in all of smash, I was wondering are there any other characters in the other games that feel similar to him?
Nope. Pac is the most unique character in smash imo. No one plays quite like him. He leaves room for creativity, flexibility for different playstyle, and has an ever lasting amount of options.

No wonder they made his grab bad. He's so unique that no one in smash interests me quite like him.

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
Nope. Pac is the most unique character in smash imo. No one plays quite like him. He leaves room for creativity, flexibility for different playstyle, and has an ever lasting amount of options.

No wonder they made his grab bad. He's so unique that no one in smash interests me quite like him.
dang thats what i thought lol. Pac For Life

BSP

Smash Legend
Playing Pac-Man somewhat screws you over with others because he plays a completely different game. When I go Mario now, I realize just how much having trampoline and fire hydrant carry me change neutral for my opponents. They become so much more predictable, and I have to be smarter when that's gone.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I feel the same way about switch off between Pacman and other characters. Sometimes I even find myself instinctively hitting down B in a situation perfect for a hydrant...then realize I'm not Pac...

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
For some reason, I can switch back and forth just fine. Falco trains my fundamentals, and Pac-Man is my everything else lol. I love Roy's aggression. Aggressive play is my forte.
I play an aggressive creative trap-based Pac-Man. I can't stand fighting super defensive people or being super defensive. Makes me want to throw my controller out the window lol.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Playing Pac-Man somewhat screws you over with others because he plays a completely different game. When I go Mario now, I realize just how much having trampoline and fire hydrant carry me change neutral for my opponents. They become so much more predictable, and I have to be smarter when that's gone.
Sometimes I am able to switch just fine and other times it's very difficult. I've been seconding Robin who I play as another charge and keep them out character so having that has been a good base in order to switchback and fourth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom