• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OzMafia: Mafia wins! - MSN Mafia tommorrow @ 9pm (Friday)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Basically, Mafia is a forum game wherein people get assigned to either be townsfolk or Mafia members.

Watch this flash animation, and you'll get a pretty good idea of how it works.
http://cataldo.freeshell.org/mafia/mafiascum04.swf
Make sure you watch the sample game. After watching that most of you will understand it pretty easy.

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia.

At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases. Usually the first is Night. During Night, the Town can not communicate, but the Mafia can discuss and choose someone to murder. After the Moderator has received the name of the victim, the Moderator reveals the dead player, and Day begins.

During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it is once again Night.

The game alternates between Night and Day until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else.
Once you know how to play, here are the rules:
1. Have fun, and do not ruin the fun for others.
2. Unless your role states otherwise, no communication about the game is allowed outside of this thread.
3. a) No quoting mod PMs, or faking a quoted mod PM (including pictures). Not even partial quoting.
3. b) You are allowed to quote mod PMs privately to any member that you are allowed to communicate with outside this thread.
4. Editing your posts is not allowed.

5. (NEW RULE) - Your votes must be formatted like this to be counted:

[VOTE: name]

This is to clarify whether you are actually casting a vote or not.

For a first game, I'd want to avoid using special roles, just so people can figure out how to play it. We'll start with 7 people, 2 mafia and 5 townies.

Come play, it'll be fuuun!

Townlist:

Condog
Splice
xXArrowXx
I LAG
Afropony
Tanman
LeishaChu
luke_atyeo
planetstereo
Siyro
Meteor Master

Splice

Smash Hero
I want to play this game. Is it going to run with a normal clock with the transitions of night and day?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yeah, it'll just transition between night and day.

I'm not too sure on how to get the special roles to work well since I've never run a game. I wanna play one basic game so we can all get the rules down pat first. Then we'll do another game with more roles.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Oh shi-
We've got enough people now ^^

I'll start the game tonight after I play smash with Amaterasu and DJ Cat.
Many lolz will ensue.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
How is this going to be played? Because i've played this on a forum before, and it doesnt work. Everything is to delay for proper discussion, we need some sort of IM, either irc or msn would be good.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Alright, what I'm gonna do (or will have done by the time you guys get this) is send out everybody's roles to them via PM.

From there, the first day will begin (I'm going to start with a day period since this is my first time running this), and the townspeople (And mafia pretending to be townspeople) will decide who to lynch first.

As a reminder, all communication must be in this thread, you may not communicate anything about the game to any of its members outside of this thread (and you can't edit posts either).

Also Siyro, you can play too :)

EDIT: ****, I double posted. I was looking at the first page so I forgot lol.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Day 1 Begins

The morning breaks over this rather nameless, generic town. At least, one would be forgiven for believing it to be just that. Though nobody speaks of it, they are all well aware that the town is being threatened by the presence of the local mafia.

On this day, the people have gathered and are now deciding to take the law into their own hands, calling for blood, anybody's blood, but preferably that of the mafia members.

The mafia are sweating, sweating because if the town found them out, they would be killed, however, they have hatched a cunning plan. Their plan is to infiltrate the populace, and cause confusion, calling suspicion on others in any way they can to ensure their survival, and the town's demise.

They have all gathered together to discuss and decide whom shall fall victim to the first lynch.

Town list:

Condog
Splice
xXArrowXx
I LAG
Afropony
Tanman
LeishaChu
luke_atyeo
planetstereo
Siyro
Meteor Master

Alright guys, here's the deal. You have to decide (in this thread) who you want to lynch first. Whoever receives majority vote first will be the first victim, and it will be revealed by me if they really were a mafia member or not. The townspeople obviously need to draw their own conclusions, but the mafia need to pretend to be townspeople as well, and influence the vote any way they can to avoid losing (be it short term or long term)

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
So uh, considering there's absolutely nothing to go on, no real way to tell who is what, no special roles, and nothing more than to randomly pick someone to go to the slaughter, My vote is for... Actually, can I ask that we get like, a proper list on the first page/right here to know who's playing/not currently deceased? It'd make eeny Meeny miney mo so much easier.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I thought of that and put a list of players in my last post, guess I'll append it to the first post as well, lol.

I know it'll seem a bit boring at first, but some strategy will play into it once the first few die. You'll be able to start drawing conclusions. Hopefully without special roles, the game will run fast, and when we start the next game, we'll use special roles.

Splice

Smash Hero
Its nightime IRL

But daytime in this town. So, can we discuss stuff now? its properly started yeah?

Tanman and i should discuss who is most likely a mafia member. All Day. Yeah? thats what we do?

I think condog is evil. Discuss.

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
How Nice of you. =)

Well, after a random decision I got... Myself. After another bout of random nonsense and pointing, I landed on xXArrowXx, so uh, no hard feelings; but my vote's for you.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yep, it's daytime. I won't be changing the day cycle until a person is voted for the lynching.

Keep in mind, more than half of the members of the community need to agree on one person before the lynch can commence.

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
Lol, Splice, not allowed to edit posts =P, but uh, It's the start of the game. We have No evidence to work on, since nothing's happened yet, lol. Other than the fact that Condog is Condog and inherantly evil, I can't see how He'd be a Mafia member. Just randomly pick someone, like I did, lol.

Sleep time now though, my Vote stays right where it is.

Splice

Smash Hero
How Nice of you. =)

Well, after a random decision I got... Myself. After another bout of random nonsense and pointing, I landed on xXArrowXx, so uh, no hard feelings; but my vote's for you.
Dang, harsh.

More people need to participate. Hmmm :bee:

EDIT: CONNOR I WAS RIGHT!!!! YOU ARE EVIL!!!!

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah you guys stop just crazy votin' for people.
Only Mafia people would crazy vote for people.
You don't want to seem like Mafia people, what with all the crazy votin' you be doin'.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yeah, don't forget that you are absolutely not allowed to edit posts. If you edit posts, you will get auto-killed in a hilarious manner.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
There are now eleven players in the game, Meteor Master becoming a last minute addition for an odd eleven players. I will no longer be accepting new players, so that's it. Done and dusted.

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah i just said condog was evil, i didnt really mean anything by it.
Fair enough assumption.

Although Condog did turn out to be evil. So maybe.

Top Bottom