• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overall, who is the best lvl 9 to practice against?

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I play against fox or cf, I should prolly be playing lvl 8s for -pwrshield but still.

chize

Smash Apprentice
lvl 9s are terrible to practice against

you will develop bad habits when playing them

try to play against people as much as possible

if you are by yourself, practice things like wavelanding and maneuvering and stuff

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
Im on the same boat as OP, I have no idea what I should do to practice with by myself. Usually I just go with random lv 9's or training mode. Though it seems to me the coms that give me most greif is Mewtwo or Pikachu.

Pi

Smash Hero
Practice controlling your character first and foremost
Play against whatever/whoever you want as long as you don't make any mistakes with your character
L canceling, wavedashing, wavelanding, all the tricks your character has, perfect them when you don't have real opponents

When you do have real opponents, make sure you tech EVERYTHING

I would advise practicing L canceling on a computer, or plug in a 2nd controller and go to town on the immobile human opponents because the timing is a bit diff when you factor in a few frames of hitlag

Another thing you want to practice on opponents is combo's, combo's that actually work, make sure you land those every time

In a real match the di is gonna be a lil different but it's still the same basic principal

And when you do get a chance to play humans, don't play to win, play to learn, practice everything you've been unable to, work on setting up for your combo's and performing them, implement new techniques into your gameplay, don't get caught up in the competition and fall back into inferior ways that you may do slightly better with

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Really? Isn't it good projectile (SHL/RSHL/Pill rush) practice cause they're more aggresive?

I would advise practicing L canceling on a computer
Oh and I am practicing shffling but I'm not sure which lvl has the best DI.

How about my own powershield practice?

Or and last thing. If I DID want to use a CPU lvl 9 regardless, Doc or Mario?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I wouldn't practice against lvl 9s because they are impractical training partners. Your honestly better off training against lvl 1's or lvl 5's. However since you have to play against them I'd say play against anyone but Luigi. He's the stupidest CPU.

Corigames

Smash Hero
If you want to practice against computers, here's something real simple to show you the uses for them. There are some things you should never practice against computer. Never practice edge-guarding as they always recover the same way and never like they should. Mindgames are pointless to try on them sense they are reacting based on current position and action and not perceiving what you could do like a human would.

1-4
Use this range of level for practicing a new tech or for getting your timing/spacing down better. They don't attack much and hardly even run. Essentially, just use these to learn new things.

5-8
This is what you should practice against the most if you have to play against computers often. They will mix up their moves, do weird stuff that you have to deal with while also not doing impossible power shields and jab locks. Just apply what you are learning to them to get it down.

Playing against a 9 is only good for one reason, and that is letting it hit you. Try not to attack the lvl 9 and just avoid it for as long as you can with dodges, WDing, spacing in general, etc. and when it does hit you to DI accordingly. Then, on top of that, you need to use this computer to work on your recovery as they will sometimes do some insane moves to you as you come back.

But... yeah... play people if at all possible.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Or you could just play single player Melee matches. Since there's no real useful reason to have a CPU even on, you can't practice combos or anything since they have ****** DI and get hit by **** that no human would ever get hit by. If you're just gonna practice tech skill you should go in alone.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
If you want to practice against computers, here's something real simple to show you the uses for them. There are some things you should never practice against computer. Never practice edge-guarding as they always recover the same way and never like they should. Mindgames are pointless to try on them sense they are reacting based on current position and action and not perceiving what you could do like a human would.

1-4
Use this range of level for practicing a new tech or for getting your timing/spacing down better. They don't attack much and hardly even run. Essentially, just use these to learn new things.

5-8
This is what you should practice against the most if you have to play against computers often. They will mix up their moves, do weird stuff that you have to deal with while also not doing impossible power shields and jab locks. Just apply what you are learning to them to get it down.

Playing against a 9 is only good for one reason, and that is letting it hit you. Try not to attack the lvl 9 and just avoid it for as long as you can with dodges, WDing, spacing in general, etc. and when it does hit you to DI accordingly. Then, on top of that, you need to use this computer to work on your recovery as they will sometimes do some insane moves to you as you come back.

But... yeah... play people if at all possible.

Wow very helpful there. (Not imply that the other posts weren't helpful), but this was the most detailed post. TY.

thanortinzak

Smash Apprentice
There is no best level 9s to practice against because you aren't supposed to practice against level 9s. You are supposed to practice against humans.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I'd just like to say lvl 6's are the best because one of them ledge tech'd my shieks dsmash. :O

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Lvl 9's ledgetech then hit you with bairs when you ledge hop dair them with marth.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
So I tried lvl 8 and there's quite a difference.
Lvl 8 IMO = Lvl 9 w/ BETTER playstyle.

vs LVL 9 Fox: 3...2...1... Go!!! He immediately tries to fire a lazer at me the proceeds to powershield my lazers.

vs LVL 8 Fox: Starts off with a jump, so I usually miss my first approach SHL(Falco). He's a better edgeguard than lvl 9 (but both jab gimp me D:)

vs LVL 8 Doc (me using mario): At 100% damage(me) he hits me off the stage then does a small combo followed by a fair. PRO CPU D:

But lol I wish I could learn the jablock lvl 9s use.

But yeah, I'll prolly try lvl 5s.

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
Dunno bout you, but I think CPUs cheat (or at least Lv8). If you use a multihit move (EG: M2 Usmash, Pichu Side Smash), they get hit once then leave. Human players get trapped in the hits and then take the finisher hit.

Overall, Lv9 is more prone to extremes of skill: stupidly frame perfect and absolutely ******** (remember the phanna vids?). Lv8 is probably the best one to practice "matches" against. For techskill, anything below...yes, including Lv7. Dunno, maybe it's just me but Lv8 >>>>>>Lv7>Lv6 etc.

No_Face

Smash Apprentice
Dunno bout you, but I think CPUs cheat (or at least Lv8). If you use a multihit move (EG: M2 Usmash, Pichu Side Smash), they get hit once then leave. Human players get trapped in the hits and then take the finisher hit.

Overall, Lv9 is more prone to extremes of skill: stupidly frame perfect and absolutely ******** (remember the phanna vids?). Lv8 is probably the best one to practice "matches" against. For techskill, anything below...yes, including Lv7. Dunno, maybe it's just me but Lv8 >>>>>>Lv7>Lv6 etc.
it's called SDI, next time you're about to be hit by a multihit move like young link's UP+B or zelda/pichu's fsmash, point the C-stick away from them while repeatedly tapping the control stick away as well

it makes those moves completely obselete which is something i don't really like but whatever

computers automatically do it to an EXCESSIVE extent

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
it's called SDI, next time you're about to be hit by a multihit move like young link's UP+B or zelda/pichu's fsmash, point the C-stick away from them while repeatedly tapping the control stick away as well

it makes those moves completely obselete which is something i don't really like but whatever

computers automatically do it to an EXCESSIVE extent
aren't you describing ASDI?

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Lol but can't you just aviod that by a smash and gimp?

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Practice fluid movement and L-cancelling against a crouching HMN controller(unplug, hold up, plug in again). Perfect your SHL, reverse SHL, LHDL, etc.

chize

Smash Apprentice
too good, lvl9 ganon ALWAYS gets me with his up-b and his taunting makes me extremely discouraged

Skrlx

Smash Champion
ganondorf also enjoys sparta kicking you off the ledge (ftilt)

Spife

Smash Master

try to play against people as much as possible

if you are by yourself, practice things like wavelanding and maneuvering and stuff
:) it's hard to remember you playing lvl 9's last semester. But Chize is right (and a lot of other posts are on the mark too). Don't play lvl 9's, and don't play computers to win. I usually set 99 stocks and just go to town.

stealth quote >.>

Top Bottom