• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overall, who is the best lvl 9 to practice against?

Tezushi

Smash Rookie
Well here is my opinion. People are your best bet to really train against, but, while I don't really practice against Level 9s. I practice on computer Links in Training Mode. Or Level 1s in VS Mode, and go-all-out on them. But really practice against Level 1s in VS Mode, for I think they are the best way to get Technical Skill up the quickest. If that is what you're aiming for.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
:) it's hard to remember you playing lvl 9's last semester. But Chize is right (and a lot of other posts are on the mark too). Don't play lvl 9's, and don't play computers to win. I usually set 99 stocks and just go to town.

stealth quote >.>
Hahah, that's what I said to him XP

chize

Smash Apprentice
i used to play them because they were the easiest to combo for me, they seem to always DI up, lvl 9 fox/falco were the only ones i could shinebear

brg

Smash Ace
I know this guy who practices on level 9's....his tech skill is awesome, the guy almost never misses his follow-ups...

He has ****ty mindgames though

chize

Smash Apprentice
hahaha thats sounds a lot like how i play, sadly my mindgames never worked on people, i would DD until the cpu attempted a grab then i would grab/aerial

SDC

Smash Lord
If you want to practice against computers, here's something real simple to show you the uses for them. There are some things you should never practice against computer. Never practice edge-guarding as they always recover the same way and never like they should. Mindgames are pointless to try on them sense they are reacting based on current position and action and not perceiving what you could do like a human would.

1-4
Use this range of level for practicing a new tech or for getting your timing/spacing down better. They don't attack much and hardly even run. Essentially, just use these to learn new things.

5-8
This is what you should practice against the most if you have to play against computers often. They will mix up their moves, do weird stuff that you have to deal with while also not doing impossible power shields and jab locks. Just apply what you are learning to them to get it down.

Playing against a 9 is only good for one reason, and that is letting it hit you. Try not to attack the lvl 9 and just avoid it for as long as you can with dodges, WDing, spacing in general, etc. and when it does hit you to DI accordingly. Then, on top of that, you need to use this computer to work on your recovery as they will sometimes do some insane moves to you as you come back.

But... yeah... play people if at all possible.
good **** :). great post, i'll take it into account...

D

Deleted member

I always go up against level 9 Ice Climbers, due to my intense hatred of the mountain climbing duo.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
any Lv. 9 is ok, except:

Kirby:his first move will always be to try and suck you up. too easy to exploit.

Jiggs: way too neuterd. barely does any of it's attacks- only counters, really(which actually doesn't make it that bad to train against...just that it could be better).

Cap: he has this exploitable trick where he throws you then tries to do Raptor Boost, which makes him usually SD. A lot.

Luigi: holy crap, what were they thinking when they programmed this CPU? first, he only recovers using Green Missile, meaning that he will SD almost once per match. and if that wasn't enough, all his major attacks and counters are either his N-air or D-air, which both have semi-broken knockback, so he can relentlessly Star KO you with out trying.

Top Bottom