• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Percon

Smash Lord
But forcing him to counterpick BF, rather than randoming BF, gives the other player the option of counter picking a character who is better suited towards that level, which is not possible with blind character picking in the first round. If I strike out battlefield against a snake, win the match, and he counterpicks BF that gives me the chance to change to my Wario, and BF is debated to be Wario's best stage. Random-ing snake's best level in the first match is essentially giving Snake a free CP off the beginning that you can't do anything about and could cost you set, fighting 2 out of 3 matches at a disadvantage rather than 1 neutral, 1 each.

True, you could just ban BF, but I'm going to use Patrick as an example here (Hi!) He plays Snake and Olimar. Olimar mains pretty much agree Luigi's mansion is a free win. Banning BF opens up Luigi's, the level I would much rather ban, and banning Luigi's opens up the possibility of the first match being BF, which could decide the entire set off the outset.

Another example: Falco on FD. Nobody wants to face that spam, right? The first match could be entirely decided just by the random level off the beginning. Sure, FD can be counterpicked later, but that gives the opponent a chance to switch to a character who can better deal with Falco on a flat level.

And I don't think it would take that much longer. Most people know the levels their characters are good on, and there's only 2 strikes per player to contend with. Add maybe a minute for a full 3 match set? I don't even imagine the process lasting that long, personally.

I'm just throwing out ideas here though, feel free to debate any of my points. (No stage-ban johns. :p)
Very well put. I'm actually a big fan of stage striking and would like to see it used in tournament more.

Just a question though, what's the fifth neutral for you guys? Lylat or PS1?

As far as time is concerned, it takes more time to enter names and/or change the controls than it does to strike stages. Speaking of which, why does everyone want tap jump off? It's not that big of a deal >_> Plus upB out of shield is nice (I think you need TJ on)

PND

Smash Champion
Very well put. I'm actually a big fan of stage striking and would like to see it used in tournament more.

Just a question though, what's the fifth neutral for you guys? Lylat or PS1?

As far as time is concerned, it takes more time to enter names and/or change the controls than it does to strike stages. Speaking of which, why does everyone want tap jump off? It's not that big of a deal >_> Plus upB out of shield is nice (I think you need TJ on)
Lylat

And you can jump cancel up B out of shield with tap jump off. It's not much harder to do, and it eliminates accidental jumping when up tilting (Doesn't happen often, but it does happen) It's mostly preference though. And plus I have custom controls anyway, so I already need to go the menu before we have a match anyway, so why not turn tap jump off while we're there?

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
Tap jump gimps ol' Yoshi's recovery.

RAAANNDDYYYY WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH, since ben's not making it for the next bi-weekly, I claim Zylem as my partner.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
I hadn't brought regular stage banning into my thoughts about stage striking, but PndMike said it better than I could have!

Edit: Infzy got shouted out in the SBR weekly char discussion, because he figured out the obscure hint for the Ice Climbers so fast, haha awesome Mike!

flash7

Smash Journeyman
lol double g&w, but can it handle double marth? :p Actually he pretty mush used wolf last time. The stage striking is kinda interesting, Mike gave a very good example of how to use it. Im up for trying it although I think most matches I wont really care about it unless the other person wants to do it.

PND

Smash Champion
Edit: Infzy got shouted out in the SBR weekly char discussion, because he figured out the obscure hint for the Ice Climbers so fast, haha awesome Mike!
Link?

EDIT: So, word is that Italy has now banned Metaknight from competitive play. Thoughts? Should Metaknight be banned? Should any character be banned from competitive play? Where does the banning stop? Should North America / Canada / East coast / Ottawa follow suit? What do you think the repercussions of the ban will be?

I know where I stand on the issue, but I'd love to see some other thoughts on it.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
I dont agree with the ban, and unless tournaments basically become MK vs MK then a ban would be necessary. I dont believe NA will ban him and find it kinda stupid that Italy banned him since next inline is snake so once he starts winning more tourneys are they gonna ban him as well? I think some people are looking for the easy way out and dont wan to put time into finding anti MK strats. Of course the only way for those strats to come out are to play against the MKs. It would be interesting to see the meta game of Italy evolve or fail. Since having MK tends to bring the best out of each character, Italy may fall vastly behind in the meta game department(maybe not so much since they always have NA to go off of).

The only characters that should be banned are the likes of Akuma in SF2 and the broken of brokeness, Ivan Ooze. Yes Ivan is BROKEN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-g4TqMFemY

tect

Smash Journeyman
the idea of stage striking makes me cringe
another reason brawl FTL
but i enjoy playing it in friendlies immensely... when i play at all

how is the ottawa scene/crew doing? long time no talk, looks like a lot of new faces around here.
excellent, i hope you guys have good times at biweeklies

infomon

Smash Scientist
lol thanx... yeah I felt kinda bad once it became obvious I was actually right, cuz the whole discussion sorta died... except for all the n00bs who didn't read lol....

PND

Smash Champion
I feel a ban, if ever instigated, shouldn't be put into place until at least a year to a year and a half after the game has be released in all regions. If after 1 year and a half Metaknight is still dominating, only then it should be considered. We're only 6 months into Brawl, and Italy's only officially had it since June.

I agree, Metaknight is good. God**** is he good. But a ban is going too far right now. The community needs to wait a while longer before anything this drastic is decided.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Meta Knight should not be banned. Meta Knight can be countered; I saw it tonight. If you want to beat Meta Knight, take up a character that can handle him. The same can be said for winning a tournament; learn a wide number of characters to counter your opponent.

Olimar ***** Meta Knight hard.

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
Ben, team KingAce for Percon's tourney?

No need to answer, because I already know: pending the ride situation.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Percon? Tournament!? Eh? Info please.

Infzy: Blindly accepting something because the Smash Back Room says so is like Britany Spears telling us to support our (well, their) president "just cuz'".

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
Yo, Andrew, I can be your partner for the next bi-weekly if you want. My partner won't be able to make it either. Just lemme know. If you're with Zylem, Harold, Lucas doubles? :p

buenob

Smash Lord
bwahaha, awesome i just posted... i'll edit saying we're in :)

if we don't have a place to stay with them I have multiple places to crash in T.
edit: niagra is _not_ T. so no other places to stay :(

also, I learned mk decently so people can at least get a feel for his moves... I feel all of ottawa hates him so much that we lose to him 'cause no one wants to play him... I am taking one for the team here ;)

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Buenob has got the right idea, the quickest way to understand how to fight a character is to mess around with that character yourself and learn their boundaries. Ignorance is not bliss.

For everyone else just pew pew.

PND

Smash Champion
Ben: we have moses now for our mking, but I still want as much practice against mk as I can get.

Looks like:
Ben
Andrew
Orlando
Harold

Get first priority on seating.

Typing on a wii sucks.

buenob

Smash Lord
believe me falco is not too far down on my list of chars that i need to learn in order to beat... next is snake, then d3, then falco, then GW... marth i already know, i just suck so hard with him :( not enough melee lol

anyways, when i get falco down, your ****ed spam won't be able to demoralize me into submission :p those boosted usmashes give me nightmares... (or whatever **** term people wanna call that canceling crap lol)

also, andrew and I need rides, so count us in for 2 spots and gas money :)

infomon

Smash Scientist
Infzy: Blindly accepting something because the Smash Back Room says so is like Britany Spears telling us to support our (well, their) president "just cuz'".
That's not quite right. The SBR contains many people who understand the current tournament scene of the game quite well and have discussed the stages at length. Their opinion on these matters is reasonably legitimate. I'm not sure what Ms. Spears' political credentials are.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
That's so far D: I'll never make it there.

I also fear I might not be able to make it for Thursday, however I will try to bus with my cousin again.

Another thing, I didn't know Niko lived in Canada (or near). Learn something new every day, heh.

Great matches Tuesday night. Sorry I couldn't Brawl you, Harold.

*tries to think of other ways to prolong this post*

Nope, guess that's it. Oh! Right, I have to leave a couple hours earlier on Friday night's Smashfest at Cameron's. About 10 or so.

P.S.: Randy, your way of speech is highly contagious. Get that checked out by a professional.

PND

Smash Champion
We need to track down a hippie van that seats like 10 people for tourneys. Imagine everyone playing smash on the trip down, sitting comfortably on couches stuck in the back?

Plus we could name it something humorous like Van Diesel, Van Gogh, or Jean Claude Dam Van.

(I had to exclude the n from the end of Dam. Now the name looks much less clever.)

buenob

Smash Lord
stay up all night thinking of those? lol nice

I do wish more of my driving friends played smash so it would work out better but oh well :(

PNDMIke - I suppose it's quite a ways away but with all extra spots filled, and none of your crew confirmed I can only assume that at least one of us will have to take a bump to another form of transportation... what are the chances of that happening?

Suo

Smash Apprentice
I'm still down for Smash Tomorrow Harold, just as an update, I'll be there around 3:00 if that's cool with you.

I'm super interested in the Niagara Tourney, but it seems to be a ways away, and I don't drive yet. With that in mind, it seems unlikely I'll make it out, unless someone else is driving. Whoever does end up going, rep Ottawa well! :)

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Is renting a bigger car/van worth it? We could get one of those ones with tvs in the back, in that case I wouldnt call shotgun :p.

PND

Smash Champion
stay up all night thinking of those? lol nice

I do wish more of my driving friends played smash so it would work out better but oh well :(

PNDMIke - I suppose it's quite a ways away but with all extra spots filled, and none of your crew confirmed I can only assume that at least one of us will have to take a bump to another form of transportation... what are the chances of that happening?
Right now you guys have first priority.

Also, renting a cargo van for a day is $70. So if we fit say, 8 or 9 people in, it'd be less than $20 each for 2 days. Gas would be a bit more expensive though.

buenob

Smash Lord
also i dunno about you but it's a 7 hr drive to where the tourney is at, so there's _no_ way of getting there before the tourney starts... it'd have to be for 3 days

also since gas will be split by more people then it'll prob. come out to the same...

if you think about it... 30 for a van, 20 for gas, 25 for playing... we have room and board... that's only 75 bucks for a weekend vacation playing video games basically seaside (i know it's a lake.. but it's a GREAT lake lol) + food (so another 25... + boozahol so probably another 20 lol)

PND

Smash Champion
Hhhm, yeah, I took into account the day before, but not the night of / day after.

Plus I'd love to celebrate my inevitable 1st place victory with lots of partying.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I would love to just get the hell away from here, but I don't have that kind of money anymore. Spent a chunk of it on Mass Effect for my cousin. Waterfront vacations are win. And no booze for me >O I'd celebrate with simple orange juice XD But, alas, I cannot go. Oh well.

eternalgamer

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I haven't been on the boards in a couple days and all this happens?!?! Where is everyone going?

Plus Randy, like CF I volunteered to be low tier, it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm not able to play hours and hours like most people and actually practice let alone play the game. You might see my B+ game this next smashfest lol!

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Just do like Ariel did, not play for a few months and then place 4th in an upcoming bi-weekly.

Edit: Theres a tourney happening in Niagara that some of us plan on attending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom