• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Online? We play offline because the online is a piece of ****. Since you are new ill inform you of what usually goes on:

We have get togethers at Fogel(Cameron) 's house on friday night where we smash from 5 to 12. It is bring your own controller and if you can bringing a wii + brawl that is always nice since we are usually in need of those(although you dont have to bring a wii). Since 7 hours is a long time you might wanna bring some food as well :p.

There are two types of events that happen at Cameron's house, one being a smashfest and the other being a small scale tournament. Every week we alternate between these two, so this coming friday is a smashfest which is basically where people show up to practice and have friendlies. Next week is the tournament which has both a 2v2 and a 1v1 tourney, this one costs money to enter and the current price is $4 per team and $3 for singles.

You need to PM fogel for his address if you are interested. The tournaments are organized by Arsenic(Randy) so any questions about the tournaments can be directed to him.

Welcome to the boards :).

Harold: lol I dont think I can accept a stick. Id feel kinda bad. Also GGPO might end owning my soul which I dont really have time for.

To those interested(mainly Ben): We will be playing squash on wednesday afternoon, after 5 pm at Carleton. Get ready to run ;).

buenob

Smash Lord
khan! i have class from 5:30-7pm on wednesday... any chance of playing before//after that? :(

arsenic41

Smash Ace
O-Town Tierlist

Today I have decided to do something a bit different. I have scraped the idea of a Power Ranking and just decided to rank everyone in the Community from highest to lowest. The list might be a bit mean but I beleive that it would encourage players to improve their game by disagreeing with me.

so here goes the very first edition of:

RANDY'S OTTAWA TIER LIST

God Tier

SAUS (Marth/Ike)

Top Tier

Fox (Marth)
Ivaneva (Lucas)
Buenob (Rob)
Retlaf (G&W)

High Tier

Zylem (G&W/Wolf)
Nukls (Zelda/Pit)
Fogel (idk)
Haze (Diddy)
Moses (Marth/MK)

Mid Tier

Arsenic (Old Manondorf)
Patrick (Olimar/Snake)
PNDMike (Falco/Wario/Puff)
Suo (Snake)

Low Tier

HIDef (DDD)
Linkshot (Lucario)
Justin (MK)

Bottom Tier

Infzy (Sonic/IC)
Jan (Ike)
Joblin (CF)

This is my veiws on the Ottawa Community (excluding LaN and the KPP). I made these decisions based on friendlies and tournament results, I hope this motivates players(especially the lower ranked names) to prove me wrong and step up their game. Or it could back fire and people would end up quitting -_-

Suo

Smash Apprentice
I didn't actually :/ Good to see you again, come out more often!
Yea definitely, the 118 route is easy and fast, so I'm gonna make it out more:)

For the record, I'm a counter to Patrick >.>
And so it begins! Prove it at the next Smashfest/Bi-weekly :)

Harold I'm definitely interested for some Smash this Thursday, what time were you thinking?

arsenic41

Smash Ace
For the record, I'm a counter to Patrick >.>
That is the thing, being a counter to a specific someone doesn't mean your more skillful than them, it could mean that your playstyle is not suited for his.

I.e I can counter Harold (most of the time) with Old Manondorf, yet he places consistently better than me in bi-weeklies, I like to think he is a much more skilled player than me, but he has a hard time against my playstyle.

But like Suo said, prove that your worth ye salt.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Also for the record, on my Wii, Olimar holds the most losses in my records. Just saying >.> I know all his strategies, and I know how he thinks, so I can efficiently beat him to the point that he's tired and wants to do something casual like Boss Battles.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Also for the record, on my Wii, Olimar holds the most losses in my records. Just saying >.> I know all his strategies, and I know how he thinks, so I can efficiently beat him to the point that he's tired and wants to do something casual like Boss Battles.
Prove your self :p

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Isnt that the same thing as a pr but with titles instead of numbers? Also a tier list is a represenation of how you hold up to everyone, not just one other character.

Ben: What time do you think youll be there?

arsenic41

Smash Ace
By the way guys, during the last bi-weekly, PNDMike suggested Stage Striking.

From what I understand, when we chose our characters and banned the stages, we basically take turns saying "I don't want to play on _______" and then both players do this until there is one stage left (correct me if I'm wrong Mike).

I personally would rather prefer a random map since it makes things go faster and it doesn't really bother me since I've already banned the stage I don't want to play on.

Opinions gaiz?

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I'd love to play some of you guys online
Awesome. Go download GGPO and we'll have ourselves some epic matches! I'm learning how to use Sean so expect the unexpected! ;)

Or it could back fire and people would end up quitting -_-
**** YOU RANDY! I'm not that low! YOU GOD FOR ****ING SAKING LOSER PIECE OF **** MOTHER ****ING ***** *** FACE *****! I ****ING QUIT!

*ahem* Actually, I really like your list; it's much more informative (and accurate) than a simple numbered list as there are gaps between groups of people a la tiers. Didn't I suggest something like this a while ago... The only thing I disagree with is Justin's placings. I'm pretty sure that he's much better than where he's at.

Harold I'm definitely interested for some Smash this Thursday, what time were you thinking?
Whenever. I'm free all day. Although, if you come at around noon you'll be forced to come to the Y with me for a workout and swim. Call me when you're interested in coming (613-829-6076). Anybody else?

buenob

Smash Lord
as of right now (ie. still looking for a job) i'm only busy monday/wed 4:30-8 and thursday 6pm and on... other than that I have quite the free schedule

as for the tier list, i think it's pretty accurate actually, though I think your old mannondorf is slightly better than you give him credit for... also, I think once you start maining D3 you'll go up too (blasphemy i know, but then again, I did just learn metaknight lol)... also I hope my absences won't dull my mad skillz! (tm) before i end up at the biweekly in october

as for stage striking, I think maybe instead increasing the number of stagebans from one to two if people are really feeling like they are playing on 'bad' maps... something that T. does way more than us is counterpick characters and levels, to offset the advantages of the person they're playing... I think knowing which level to ban for your character is crucial for winning, and my days of banning lylat cruise are over lol... ramblings aside, I think that striking will take too much time (as noted) and am fine with the one level ban (pretty fair, though deciding who bans first is always a problem... in a competitive environment... i noted that at FFYF the intense players all waited for me to ban a level first, either on purpose or unintentionally, but it didn't matter cuase i banned pictionary)

PND

Smash Champion
By the way guys, during the last bi-weekly, PNDMike suggested Stage Striking.

From what I understand, when we chose our characters and banned the stages, we basically take turns saying "I don't want to play on _______" and then both players do this until there is one stage left (correct me if I'm wrong Mike).

I personally would rather prefer a random map since it makes things go faster and it doesn't really bother me since I've already banned the stage I don't want to play on.

Opinions gaiz?
Yeah, the first match is determined by the last remaining neutral stage, then counter picking proceeds as normal after that match. So basically RPS for first / second strike then go.

I'll use an example, Jiggs is terrible on Battlefield, so Jiggs strikes battlefield. Let's say, Wolf, decides that he doesn't want Lylat due to his poor recovery. Strike Lylat. Jiggs knows how pwnesome Wolf is on Yoshi Island, so Jiggs bans that. Wolf doesn't want to deal with the lip of FD, so FD is banned. Conclusion? Smashville, which by taking the advantages and disadvantages of each character into consideration, is in all likelihood the most neutral stage for the first set. It won't take too long, seeing as how it's just two strikes each, the SBR ruleset has like 9 neutral levels and stage striking down to one, so I think it's a pretty good compromise.

This way we don't have to waste our bans on Lylat all the time, we can be more tactical with our bans.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I like that, Mike. Mainly because there's technicalities behind it making it more complicated XD

Also, Harold, I'll see what I can do for Thursday :D I wouldn't be able to stay too long (up to 10 PM maybe). I'm always free though, looking for something to do.

My cousin and I have also been practicing our team skills, so watch out in the next bi-weekly :D Team Aura Buds will dominate! (Yes, a real name now!) A fair warning, we pack Luc+Oli. See you on Friday, and maybe Thursday, too.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I think the best way to deal with this Stage Striking thing is to simply laugh at the concept and shun the suggestor for all eternity.

And by that, I mean make stage striking optional in the next bi-weekly, so if both players agree to it, they can do it.

also, onto another new issue. For those who stayed a bit later in the last bi-weekly would've heard me suggest a "crew match" in the next bi-weekly. I was thinking of doing a mock one free of charge this coming friday to test it out and stuff.

So either we can make captains nao or wait until friday to set things up.

WHO IS WITH ME!?!

Darkbeast666

Smash Rookie
*ahem* Actually, I really like your list; it's much more informative (and accurate) than a simple numbered list as there are gaps between groups of people a la tiers. Didn't I suggest something like this a while ago... The only thing I disagree with is Justin's placings. I'm pretty sure that he's much better than where he's at.
Aww thanks Harold, I didn't know you cared :) But everyone is entitled to there opinions.
Though I agree with the list, for the past few weeks I've attended I haven't been that great.
I just have to prove (or disprove) my place in the rankings.

PND

Smash Champion
How many members per crew?

I'll preemptively sign up my crew without their consent. And without knowing my nor their work schedule yet, with no idea whether I/we/they can make it this Friday or not.

Haze, Nukls, and I discussed calling our crew Ascension, because we all play flying characters (Haze's Rob counts, right? If not, Diddy has Rocket Barrels >_>) So yeah, sign us up under that.

Sweet. Now I need to go make a banner. >_>

EDIT: If crews are more than 4: now accepting applications. Responsibilities involved: being cool and smashing brahs with us.

EDIT 2: Counter-picking character allowed in the crew battle, or set characters? I've heard of both being used. Also, set order of players, or flexible? I'm actually really hype for this.

buenob

Smash Lord
well azriel is staying out in vacation land for another few months so the 'westborro crew' is just me and andrew... alas my plan of city wide domination thwarted by a mountain and floozies...

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I as actually thinking that to stay away from "over powered crews" we have team captains. Where as the Team Captains are the players who placed 1/2/3/4 in the last bi-weekly and first pick is determined by a lol 1 stock free for all random match, and the the crew members are picked out Playground style. And the crew sizes depend on how many people are there, if not enough people show up then we may have to reduce the number of captains or increase the number of stocks.

OR

We can make up crews before the mock starts and then do it from there. It's your call.

I would prefer the first option since crews will not be the same everytime which means if one crew dominates then they will always dominate.

Also, each crew gets 12 stocks, matches are 7 minute, player names are written down along with their character on a piece of paper and exchanged, loser counter picks stage, winner changes character. That is the mock rules for now (unless something is wrong with them)

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Ill give up my captain position if someone would want it. The FFA match sounds lol, are we gonna play evo rules on that?

Depending on my schedule I might be down for thursday and next tuesday mini smashfests.

I can push back squash to 6 if that helps but not much later. We may end up going to goodlife fitness, I just gotta check the prices at carleton.

Edit: lol forgot I was fifth last time, I was thinking pr/tier list.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Whenever. I'm free all day. Although, if you come at around noon you'll be forced to come to the Y with me for a workout and swim. Call me when you're interested in coming (613-829-6076). Anybody else?
Okay, I'm busy until about 2:00pm on Thursday, so I'll shoot for 3pm. I'll give you a call on wed/thur to confirm.

Oh and mark me down as a supporter of 'stage striking'.

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
I miss everyone already. ;_;

ohhh, Randy, are you maybe up for some network SWR later this evening? If yes, I'll post my info around 7:00.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Stage striking sounds interesting but the more I think about it the more I'm inclined to believe that Smashville really is the only 'neutral' stage in the game. Let's have all first matches start on Smashville with all the others counting as counter-picks.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I miss everyone already. ;_;

ohhh, Randy, are you maybe up for some network SWR later this evening? If yes, I'll post my info around 7:00.
I'm down for some SWR, but I'm not that good johns.

Also...I would also need your MSN, just to stay in contact.

same goes for any one intrested in giving me their msn so I can stalk them keep in contact and stuffs.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Yay, reasons to randomly spew out my information :D Also, I'll try to come for Thursday, Harold.

And I'll come to the SmashFest on Friday, but I can only stay late if my uncle takes me home.

buenob

Smash Lord
for those who care, my msn is da'underscore'bune101 at hot mail dot com, but i'm not on msn that much

buenob

Smash Lord
you may want to edit that to be in some cryptic form like mine... mostly, that way bots can't just grab your email (believe me, they exist)

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Sorry Andrew, looks like I can't SWR tonight since I'm going to Harolds to SMASH!

can you forgive me?

Fogel

Smash Lord
I'm against stage striking, biweeklies already take too long and it will just make them even slower. Starting random seems fine to me, I don't know what people have against it.

Coming on friday to the smashfest. Bringing munchkin (maybe you can finally get to try it, Cam).
Yes, I will definitely devote time to finally trying this game out!

Suo

Smash Apprentice
I'm against stage striking, biweeklies already take too long and it will just make them even slower. Starting random seems fine to me, I don't know what people have against it.
That makes sense, it could potentially add a decent chunk of time on to the already long Bi-weeklies. I've never actually used stage striking, so I can't really comment on how much longer it would/could take.

The idea behind it is that say I'm playing Snake, who has a distinct stage control advantage on Battlefield, compared to say Final Destination. There's a random chance that we could end up playing on that stage, giving possibly a slight disadvantage to one character or the other.

No stage is truly neutral for every matchup, so 'stage striking' is a process where the final stage not struck, is likely to be the most neutral for both characters.

In terms of the bi-weeklies, is it important? Not really. It is just an attempt to remove as much randomness as possible in stage and matchup advantages.

P.S. Randy, Harold all you guys, add me on MSN ouknow88@hotmail.com

Fogel

Smash Lord
That makes sense, it could potentially add a decent chunk of time on to the already long Bi-weeklies. I've never actually used stage striking, so I can't really comment on how much longer it would/could take.

The idea behind it is that say I'm playing Snake, who has a distinct stage control advantage on Battlefield, compared to say Final Destination. There's a random chance that we could end up playing on that stage, giving possibly a slight disadvantage to one character or the other.

No stage is truly neutral for every matchup, so 'stage striking' is a process where the final stage not struck, is likely to be the most neutral for both characters.

In terms of the bi-weeklies, is it important? Not really. It is just an attempt to remove as much randomness as possible in stage and matchup advantages.

P.S. Randy, Harold all you guys, add me on MSN ouknow88@hotmail.com
I understand your points in general, but for this example in particular, if you are worried about playing Snake on Battlefield, why wouldn't you just ban Battlefield?

Also, if you don't ban it, and end up losing to the Snake on Battlefield, it means he can't counterpick it in a later round anyways.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Correction, he is the Snake on battlefield.

I'm for stage striking, but only because it's in the SBR recommended rule list, which I'd prefer to follow, just because. Tho I know how unpopular that is here :laugh:

PND

Smash Champion
Also, if you don't ban it, and end up losing to the Snake on Battlefield, it means he can't counterpick it in a later round anyways.
But forcing him to counterpick BF, rather than randoming BF, gives the other player the option of counter picking a character who is better suited towards that level, which is not possible with blind character picking in the first round. If I strike out battlefield against a snake, win the match, and he counterpicks BF that gives me the chance to change to my Wario, and BF is debated to be Wario's best stage. Random-ing snake's best level in the first match is essentially giving Snake a free CP off the beginning that you can't do anything about and could cost you set, fighting 2 out of 3 matches at a disadvantage rather than 1 neutral, 1 each.

True, you could just ban BF, but I'm going to use Patrick as an example here (Hi!) He plays Snake and Olimar. Olimar mains pretty much agree Luigi's mansion is a free win. Banning BF opens up Luigi's, the level I would much rather ban, and banning Luigi's opens up the possibility of the first match being BF, which could decide the entire set off the outset.

Another example: Falco on FD. Nobody wants to face that spam, right? The first match could be entirely decided just by the random level off the beginning. Sure, FD can be counterpicked later, but that gives the opponent a chance to switch to a character who can better deal with Falco on a flat level.

And I don't think it would take that much longer. Most people know the levels their characters are good on, and there's only 2 strikes per player to contend with. Add maybe a minute for a full 3 match set? I don't even imagine the process lasting that long, personally.

I'm just throwing out ideas here though, feel free to debate any of my points. (No stage-ban johns. :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom