• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

PND

Smash Champion
Okay, I'm working late, so depending on how fast I get my work done I might be there around 6, maybe a bit later, or perhaps not at all. It depends on the job they're going to give me, but I think I'll be able to make it :( Here's hoping, but if I can make it, I'll bring the Wii.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Alright, just a reminder, biweekly today, if you want in, register by or before 7:30. Alright guys, good luck

Fogel

Smash Lord
If anything, I'll be bringing less. Should I bring my wii?
It may be too late at this point, but please bring your Wii if you get this message in time.

Fogel, my best friend was hoping to check out a SmashFest with me, preferably the week after this friday. He's an avid Brawl player and an all around good guy.

I just wanted to check-in with you, as I totally respect and understand the need for confirmation from now on.
Tentatively it's ok, but try to post a message about it again next week, in case I forget.

PND

Smash Champion
Okay, we'll be coming with the Wii. We're leaving shortly, thankfully the extra work ended quickly. Count 3 extras in the biweekly tourney. :)

EDIT: By that i mean myself and 2 friends, not 3 EXTRA people :p

Fogel

Smash Lord
Fun tournament guys! Biweekly results for anyone who's curious:

1: Saus (Ike)
2: by.LaN[Shield] (aka Cbone) (Toon Link/Marth)
3: Fox (Marth/Falcon)
4: IvanEva (Lucas/Yoshi)
5: Arsenic (Snake/DDD)
5: Fogel (Metaknight/Fox)
7: Haze (G&W)
7: Justin (Olimar)
9: Knuckles (Zelda)
9: PNDMike (Jigglypuff)
9: HIDEF (G&W)
9: Jaz (Pikachu/Ike/Ness)

Team SCRA takes top 2, yeayuhzz!

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
Tournament in the States results:

Brawl Singles

1: Cort ($435.60) (Snake)
2: PC Chris ($237.60) (Snake)
3: Nuro ($118.80) (Snake)
4: Jinx (Metaknight)
5: Solid Jake (Snake)
5: Darc (Snake)

well...at least randy will have lots of pros to watch!!

PND

Smash Champion
I had a blast tonight, thanks guys! The $1 thing sucks though. I checked with the guys, they all said they paid. Regardless, it was fun and I hope you fear the puff a little bit more :p

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Yeah, great biweekly tournament. My first battles against Ian's ***balls were the most epic matches I've had. :)

I regret that I didn't get to play against some of the other players though. I've never played a Jigglypuff before. That and it sucks that I lost. I'll have to do much better next time. :laugh:

I also totally change what I said about Hanonbow. Ban that ****! While I myself was pretty bad at doing so, you can run away Temple-style fairly easily given that the entire screen has areas to stand on.

Tournament in the States results:

Brawl Singles

1: Cort ($435.60) (Snake)
2: PC Chris ($237.60) (Snake)
3: Nuro ($118.80) (Snake)
4: Jinx (Metaknight)
5: Solid Jake (Snake)
5: Darc (Snake)

well...at least randy will have lots of pros to watch!!
That is the lamest list I have ever seen. If Snake wasn't so cool I'd be starting to hate him right about now...:(

Fogel

Smash Lord
Yeah, Hanenbow is definitely going to the banned list for ToS5. I suggest moving it to the banned list for the biweeklies as well :p

Also, about those tournament results, wow, that's a lot of Snakes. I guess I should start playing him more!

edit: Some other recent tournament results, as if to disprove that theory (although someone who uses Snake at least some of the time still got 2nd):

1: Futile ($447.50) [Wario]
2: DSF ($268.50) [Snake/Marth]
3: DC ($179.00) [Wario]
4: BarDull [Marth]
5: Edge [Metaknight]
5: Shadow [ROB]
7: Teba [DeDeDe]
7: HugS [ROB]

Wario = broken?

edit2: ToS5 thread is up! Check my sig, or go here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=171289

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
here's some more tourney results just for you cam hehe

1st Chillindude829 (Snake/Falco) $210
2nd Forte (Metaknight) $105
3rd Azen Zagenite (Marth/Luigi) $35 <--- 0.o oh well it's Azen
4th Candy (Snake/Wolf) $10
5th G-regulate (Snake)
5th Kirbstir (Metaknight)
7th Nacker (R.O.B.)
7th ADA (Metaknight)
9th Chozenone (R.O.B.)
9th Valor (Snake/Samus)

it seems that imbaknight is also a good choice lol

and ROB aka johnny V doesnt seem so bad

SuperChibiRandom

Smash Rookie
Hey... I heard a little bit about these smashfests from a friend. I'm sure you guys know him as Corin. Well I just recently moved into the area, and I'd be interested in joining if you guys have any room.

My Brawl code is 1289-9129-8855 and my name is Fan. As far as skill level, I suppose I'm decent. I think that's all I was supposed to post. Sorry if I forgot anything. Give me a shout if you dont mind another Wolf/Marth player!

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Welcome Fan, it's always good to have more competition.

PM Fogel (the main man) for directions to the smashfest (his house). It's every Friday night, with the occasional rescheduling to Thursday.

Also, for everyone in the Glebe area/near the Glebe area (from memory this is Suo, Tect, and myself), we should see how many people we have and if we could start having glebe smashfests.

Fogel

Smash Lord
here's some more tourney results just for you cam hehe

1st Chillindude829 (Snake/Falco) $210
2nd Forte (Metaknight) $105
3rd Azen Zagenite (Marth/Luigi) $35 <--- 0.o oh well it's Azen
4th Candy (Snake/Wolf) $10
5th G-regulate (Snake)
5th Kirbstir (Metaknight)
7th Nacker (R.O.B.)
7th ADA (Metaknight)
9th Chozenone (R.O.B.)
9th Valor (Snake/Samus)

it seems that imbaknight is also a good choice lol

and ROB aka johnny V doesnt seem so bad
Looks like we should all sell out to Snake.

Hey... I heard a little bit about these smashfests from a friend. I'm sure you guys know him as Corin. Well I just recently moved into the area, and I'd be interested in joining if you guys have any room.

My Brawl code is 1289-9129-8855 and my name is Fan. As far as skill level, I suppose I'm decent. I think that's all I was supposed to post. Sorry if I forgot anything. Give me a shout if you dont mind another Wolf/Marth player!
Welcome! As has already been said, if you're interested in coming out to smashfests let me know. I live in Nepean though, so if you live in Central/East Ottawa, it may be kind of hard to get here.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Anyone with Crono as his avatar has got to kick ***! I hope we eventually get to play against each other.

Jaz: Glebe smashfest? I don't live anywhere near the Glebe but I'd be down for that (depending on the time and all that)!

Fogel

Smash Lord
Due to some work stuff, the smashfest this week MAY be cancelled/postponed to Saturday. Check the thread before leaving on Friday! Also, in case I do postpone it, if you would be ok to play on Saturday, please post so that I know if anyone's actually going to show up.

edit: Also, a lot of you still have to register for ToS5, the link's in my sig!

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Haha... I was browsing through them and that Chrono just caught my eye. Great series. As far as my skill, we'll see. I know I'm not a complete newb, but you guys sound rather competitive...
Our skill level ranges quite a bit. I can destroy average people, but other competitive players destory me. Then there's Saus/Lan/Fogel/IvanEva/other people who are pretty good. I'm sure you'll have some fun, and if you get 3/4 stocked every match at least you'll improve quickly :laugh:

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Welcome! I'm fairly new to the community as well, I've been to a smashfest, I think you'll find everyone to be very kind, warm and inviting.

As far as skill levels are concerned, like he said there is a range, and you'll learn quickly just from one 'fest. Beyond anything else, they're just fun guys to play with.

Also, for everyone in the Glebe area/near the Glebe area (from memory this is Suo, Tect, and myself), we should see how many people we have and if we could start having glebe smashfests.
I would say with absolute certainty that there is enough people in the downtown area, just not all of them are on Smashboards I would imagine. I know that a friend and I would attend on a weekly basis, perhaps one more as well.

The other issue would be a location that could accomodate everyone comfortably, I know that my house would definitely not be the place, as I have 4 family members in a small-ish house.

It would be interesting, if we could get this thing rolling, to host it on a day different to Fogel/Cam's, like a tuesday/wed or maybe weekend. That way people could come to ours if they want, as well as Fogel's. It could really drum up a lot of competition and growth in the community.

This would all depend on the interest though, and a really good organizer. For instance, I would say a large component of the Nepean SmashFests' success is the fact that Fogel holds them very consistently, organizes them well, and has a wonderful location that he makes available.

I know this is beyond my grasp at this moment, with a lot of responsibilities this summer. So, for now at least, it remains a really good idea, but perhaps out of reach?

Due to some work stuff, the smashfest this week MAY be cancelled/postponed to Saturday. Check the thread before leaving on Friday! Also, in case I do postpone it, if you would be ok to play on Saturday, please post so that I know if anyone's actually going to show up.

edit: Also, a lot of you still have to register for ToS5, the link's in my sig!
This would be a blessing for me, as I just found out that I have a photoshoot with the Ottawa Citizen this friday at 8:30pm, which would make it very difficult
for me to attend on the friday. I would definitely be available for Saturday if you had to change it.

I have held off on registering until I am absolutely sure that I'm free for the day, as well as coordinating with a friend to possibly enter teams as well. I'll register asap though, it looks to be a great event!

Jazriel

Smash Ace
A photo shoot with the citizen? Suo must be a fancy person indeed! Now I feel even better having owned him before :p

I'm game for a fest this Saturday, all of my previous plans have been canceled (to my knowledge >_>).

Fogel

Smash Lord
It would be interesting, if we could get this thing rolling, to host it on a day different to Fogel/Cam's, like a tuesday/wed or maybe weekend. That way people could come to ours if they want, as well as Fogel's. It could really drum up a lot of competition and growth in the community.

This would all depend on the interest though, and a really good organizer. For instance, I would say a large component of the Nepean SmashFests' success is the fact that Fogel holds them very consistently, organizes them well, and has a wonderful location that he makes available.

I know this is beyond my grasp at this moment, with a lot of responsibilities this summer. So, for now at least, it remains a really good idea, but perhaps out of reach?

This would be a blessing for me, as I just found out that I have a photoshoot with the Ottawa Citizen this friday at 8:30pm, which would make it very difficult
for me to attend on the friday. I would definitely be available for Saturday if you had to change it.

I have held off on registering until I am absolutely sure that I'm free for the day, as well as coordinating with a friend to possibly enter teams as well. I'll register asap though, it looks to be a great event!
If I may say so, I'd prefer we didn't have competing smashfests on the same day of the week. Despite me saying that things are getting too crowded, I think the Ottawa community is too small to split up at the moment!

Also, just so it's clear, there will be no tournament at this week's smashfest. They are biweeklies, meaning every 2 weeks, so the next one would be at the following smashfest.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I can't make Saturday since I have work followed by a party. Well, actually, I guess I can make it... provided that it's in the morning before noon. :(

Competing Smashfests? Fogel, just use Snake and you're bound to win. :laugh:
No worries though since they did post that it'd be on a different day, if that ever happens at all.

Having four family members in a 'small-ish house' is no excuse. I live in a microscopic one bedroom apartment with my mother and brother (yes, a stereotypical spanish ghetto home :lick:) and I'd totally host a smashfest if Cameron's wasn't better in absolutely every way (which it certainly is).

On that note actually, I'm free this Thursday after 4pm and since I haven't sat down and played games at home for a while (excluding quick matches with my brother before bed every now and then) I'll probably be here at home all day playing games or doing whatever. If anybody's interested in coming over for pizza and Smash give me a PM and all that. I live a block away from the Coliseum theater by Bayshore.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
A photo shoot with the citizen? Suo must be a fancy person indeed! Now I feel even better having owned him before :p

I'm game for a fest this Saturday, all of my previous plans have been canceled (to my knowledge >_>).
I'm not a fancy person at all, it's just for a highschool acting awards show to be held at the end of June, the nominees get a photo spread in the Citizen. That aside, you have every right to feel good for having owned me! :p

If I may say so, I'd prefer we didn't have competing smashfests on the same day of the week. Despite me saying that things are getting too crowded, I think the Ottawa community is too small to split up at the moment!

Also, just so it's clear, there will be no tournament at this week's smashfest. They are biweeklies, meaning every 2 weeks, so the next one would be at the following smashfest.
Duly noted Fogel, this theoritical Smashfest was to be purposely held on an opposite day from yours, so there would be two Smashfests in a week if people wanted to attend. Like I said though, I just don't see a Glebe area 'fest happening any time soon, maybe Im wrong tho!

Double duly noted about the registration, I was talking about ToS5 registration, not the bi-weekly.

I can't make Saturday since I have work followed by a party. Well, actually, I guess I can make it... provided that it's in the morning before noon. :(

Having four family members in a 'small-ish house' is no excuse. I live in a microscopic one bedroom apartment with my mother and brother (yes, a stereotypical spanish ghetto home :lick:) and I'd totally host a smashfest if Cameron's wasn't better in absolutely every way (which it certainly is).

On that note actually, I'm free this Thursday after 4pm and since I haven't sat down and played games at home for a while (excluding quick matches with my brother before bed every now and then) I'll probably be here at home all day playing games or doing whatever. If anybody's interested in coming over for pizza and Smash give me a PM and all that. I live a block away from the Coliseum theater by Bayshore.
Haha Ivan, you're a greater man than me! It's more just that my family would not really be accomodating of a fest, thus finding a day every week that I could take over the living room for a night, would be a difficult task.

I don't think I'm free this thursday either, but if I am I'd totally be down, so we'll see. I'll PM you tonight if I am.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Cameron:
I might not be able to make it Saturday, ill know more tomorrow.

Harold:
I should be able to make it on thursday, if I do ill probably show up later as Ill be going to the gym first.

BTW thanks to Randy and Cameron for hosting the bi-weekly tournament, it was fun and interesting as Ive never really been in that kind of tourney.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
If the smashfest is going to be rescheduled to saturday? Is it still from 5-whenever or does that change too?

Fogel

Smash Lord
I appreciate the offer and normally would head over, but I've got Ultimate league games every Thursday so I can't make it :(

BTW thanks to Randy and Cameron for hosting the bi-weekly tournament, it was fun and interesting as Ive never really been in that kind of tourney.
Thanks, it's good to know people enjoyed the tourney!

If the smashfest is going to be rescheduled to saturday? Is it still from 5-whenever or does that change too?
If it gets rescheduled to Saturday, it will stay at 5-whenever. At this point, I don't think it will be rescheduled, but I'm not 100% sure yet. The guy organizing the thing I'm supposed to go to wasn't around today, and it's the kind of thing that I don't think can be set up at the last minute, but you never know.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Hellz yeah I enjoyed the tourney. I think it should be organized a bit better in the future, so there aren't odd "you win be default" matches because we don't have a minimum of 16 people :p

Fogel

Smash Lord
Hellz yeah I enjoyed the tourney. I think it should be organized a bit better in the future, so there aren't odd "you win be default" matches because we don't have a minimum of 16 people :p
This is unavoidable. For an elimination bracket not to have Byes (the technical name for a 'win by default' match), the number of tournament participants MUST be a power of 2. The odds of us getting the number of participants to equal a power of 2 is pretty low, so there will be byes. The only alternative is to run pools with a bracket cutoff of some kind (top 8 bracket?), but that would make the tournament take longer.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,

I've been trying to follow this thread on and off for a while now, but this is my first time actually posting. First of all, a shoutout to all the Ottawa smashers - you guys rock.

This thread is too long for me to read from the start, so I've only read a few posts here and there (128 pages :)). From what I've gathered, Fogel seems to be the main man around these parts. I hear you host tourneys/get-togethers very frequently. I'm graduating high school this year, and was planning to attend my first smash tourney this summer (along with a few of my friends). I'll be checking in regularly in this thread now, in hopes that something will happen during the summer that me and my buds can attend. I'll try my best to get caught up with what's happened round these parts.

On a side note, do you guys play melee more than brawl? The recent vids in the video section I saw were melee. My friends and I do both melee and brawl, so this isn't a big deal - just curious :)

EDIT: BTW, I prefer melee over brawl any day.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,

I've been trying to follow this thread on and off for a while now, but this is my first time actually posting. First of all, a shoutout to all the Ottawa smashers - you guys rock.

This thread is too long for me to read from the start, so I've only read a few posts here and there (128 pages :)). From what I've gathered, Fogel seems to be the main man around these parts. I hear you host tourneys/get-togethers very frequently. I'm graduating high school this year, and was planning to attend my first smash tourney this summer (along with a few of my friends). I'll be checking in regularly in this thread now, in hopes that something will happen during the summer that me and my buds can attend. I'll try my best to get caught up with what's happened round these parts.

On a side note, do you guys play melee more than brawl? The recent vids in the video section I saw were melee. My friends and I do both melee and brawl, so this isn't a big deal - just curious :)

EDIT: BTW, I prefer melee over brawl any day.
Most of us have migrated to brawl, but occasionally some people will set up Melee.

We just started doing bi-weeklys (last week) but pretty much every friday there is a smashfest. You shoud try to make it some time, it can be a real eye opener. PM Fogel for details.

As for tournaments Fogel(Cameron) is setting up a tournament for july 5th named ToS5, you can check out the details in the link in his sig.

PND

Smash Champion
Knuckles and I might attend the Saturday smashfest, if it's okay. We wouldn't have been able to attend on Friday, so rescheduling it is perfect.

Percon

Smash Lord
Ottawa,

I might hit you guys up in the summer (I always visit Ottawa/Eganville in the summer)

Uh... and you guys should make it out to one of Niko's tournaments eventually, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom