• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
IMO, i think we should jump around the teams at the bi weekly(z) in order to find good combinations for the tournament...maybe i'm just crazy because i MAY not have a team mate because derek may or may not team with randy..so...well see...

(assuming you havn't decided on a team partner)...this is just for people who are unsure.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
The First ever Second O-Town Bi-weekly

Okay then...Next step is to confirm your singles registration, if the doubles is going to happen, the singles will have to start earlier than last time. Also, I'm banning Hanenbow from the stage list and moving Pokemon stadium down to counter pick.

With that being said...Bi-weekly stuffs:

Participants (singles):
Arsenic
Fogel
PNDMike
Haze
HiDef
Knuckles
Jaz
Flash7
IvanEva
IvanEva's Brother

Doubles Teams:
Team Budgies (HiDef/PNDMike)
PK Bucket (IvanEva/his brother)

Doubles (people who are going to attend but don't have a partner...yet):
Flash7
Jaz
Arsenic

Other people considering entering will have to post on SWF by Friday 4:00pm or register at

the smashfest.

Stages (These will not change until the next bi-weekly):

Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:
Rainbow Cruise - Melee
Delfino Plaza
Squeege's Mansion
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Jungle Japes - Melee
Corneria - Melee (Doubles)
Brinstar - Melee
Pokemon Stadium - Melee
Distant Planet

Banned:
Hanenbow
Corneria - Melee (Singles)
Bridge of Eldin
Green Hill Zone
Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Pokemon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
WarioWare, Inc.
Onett - Melee
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Pictochat
Green Greens - Melee
Pirate Ship
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Temple - Melee
Yoshi's Island - Melee
Big Blue - Melee

Entry Fee:
-$1 per person for singles
-$1 per team for doubles (if its going to happen)

Rules:
-Standard 3 stock 7 minute matches, Bo3 for bracket matches, Bo5 for semi-finals and finals and Bo7 Grand Finals.
-Johns will lead to inevitable taunting (do so at your own risk).
-Victory dances are allowed, but you will look silly, so do so at your own expense.
-Any mention of Marth being a guy will be revoked of taunting rights, and will be laughed at (<3 Fan).
-High intrest bank loans compounded hourly are neccessary for competing (again...<3 Fan).

IMPORTANT NOTE

the tournament will start at 6:30 in hopes of ending soon enough to get a doubles started, so get yo ***** to Cam's by that time participants.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
My brother and I are up for both. Fair warning to everybody: I'm going to win this time! :laugh:

On an irrelevant note, I was blown away when I found out about this game called "Dream Mix TV World Fighters" for the Gamecube and the Playstation 2. It's a blatant rip-off of Smash Bros., right down to having almost the exact same bubble shields, but it has an even more way-out character selection than Smash. It's got Snake in it before he ever appeared on Smash (Brawl isn't so special anymore)! On top of that it's got Simon Belmont! Yes, Simon mother****ing Belmont! Why couldn't he also be in Brawl!? It also has Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bomberman, some Barbie character, the guy from Adventure Island, and a bunch more. Of course, the game apparently really sucks. Still, I want to pit Simon vs. Optimus (who can turn into a truck to ram people) on New Pork City!

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYCKq3q_jeY
Simon vs. Snake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTHXaKmBa_w
Optimus going through single player http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBS3ua2DceM&feature=related

Fogel

Smash Lord
IMO, i think we should jump around the teams at the bi weekly(z) in order to find good combinations for the tournament...maybe i'm just crazy because i MAY not have a team mate because derek may or may not team with randy..so...well see...

(assuming you havn't decided on a team partner)...this is just for people who are unsure.
On the other side of the coin, I would argue that if you play with the same person for a lot of matches, you are better able to understand how to team with them, and will have less random deaths/team kills because of it. For example, when Andy still played we teamed at every tourney we could, and we both got pretty comfortable with knowing how the other person plays and what they do. Towards the end, it got to the point where we rarely even hit each other by accident.

Somewhat offtopic, I've got an idea I want to try for a Snake/MK team. I don't necessarily have to be part of the team, but I want to test this at the smashfest to see if it works. Anyone planning on doing Snake/MK at a tourney? If so, I can show you my secret techs! :p

Sign me up for both.

And c'mon guys. Leave poor Martha alone.
See Fan? Even people who weren't at the smashfest know the truth.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Somewhat offtopic, I've got an idea I want to try for a Snake/MK team. I don't necessarily have to be part of the team, but I want to test this at the smashfest to see if it works. Anyone planning on doing Snake/MK at a tourney? If so, I can show you my secret techs! :p

Interesting Fogel, Snake's my main, so I'll most likely use him at ToS5, but unfortunately its looking like I cant make this weeks 'fest.

Off the top of my head I'd guess that you've thought to combine C4 on the opponent+ Metaknights up-throw? or perhaps a grenade+throw. If that is indeed the case, it'd be very reliant on controller port, as the higher port receives no knockback from the projectile.

flash7

Smash Journeyman

IvanEva

Smash Ace
For a truely epic fighting game match watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA

The ending is legendary.
Cam, I'm sure you'll be able to see what I meant about how Brawl is closer to Street Fighter III than other games. While it may seem 'campy' and such at first it's really more a cerebral battle where they have to correctly outwit each other.

flash: That second video truely was epic! It actually made me laugh out loud. :)

PND

Smash Champion
Haze, Knuckles, HiDef and I will sign up for the biweeky. Team Budgies (HiDef and I) will enter doubles, and Haze and Knuckles are unsure right now, due to terrible team compatibility. We'll all sign up for singles, and I'll bring the Wii again.

That is, if we're still welcome after the stolen money fiasco :urg: Did that ever get sorted out?

Krantastic

Smash Rookie
To lower the odds I get kicked out, I shall post to say I am attending tomorrow and bringing my Wii. I'll participate in the bi-weekly and cheer on Derek/Ian. Yay

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Allright, this is the updated bi-weekly stuff so far.

With that being said...Bi-weekly stuffs:

Participants (singles):
Arsenic
Fogel
PNDMike
Haze
HiDef
Knuckles
Jaz
Flash7
IvanEva
IvanEva's Brother
Lan
SUAS
Krantastic
4dam

Doubles Teams:
Team Budgies (HiDef/PNDMike)
PK Bucket (IvanEva/his brother)
Team Curious ***balls (Lan/Kran)

Doubles (people who are going to attend but don't have a partner...yet):
Flash7
Jaz
Arsenic
Fogel
Derek
4dam

Other people considering entering will have to post on SWF by Friday 4:00pm or register at

the smashfest.

Stages (These will not change until the next bi-weekly):

Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:
Rainbow Cruise - Melee
Delfino Plaza
Squeege's Mansion
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Jungle Japes - Melee
Corneria - Melee (Doubles)
Brinstar - Melee
Pokemon Stadium - Melee
Distant Planet

Banned:
Hanenbow
Corneria - Melee (Singles)
Bridge of Eldin
Green Hill Zone
Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Pokemon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
WarioWare, Inc.
Onett - Melee
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Pictochat
Green Greens - Melee
Pirate Ship
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Temple - Melee
Yoshi's Island - Melee
Big Blue - Melee

Entry Fee:
-$1 per person for singles
-$1 per team for doubles (if its going to happen)

Rules:
-Standard 3 stock 7 minute matches, Bo3 for bracket matches, Bo5 for semi-finals and finals and Bo7 Grand Finals.
-Johns will lead to inevitable taunting (do so at your own risk).
-Victory dances are allowed, but you will look silly, so do so at your own expense.
-Any mention of Marth being a guy will be revoked of taunting rights, and will be laughed at (<3 Fan).
-High intrest bank loans compounded hourly are neccessary for competing (again...<3 Fan).

IMPORTANT NOTE

the tournament will start at 6:30 in hopes of ending soon enough to get a doubles started, so get yo ***** to Cam's by that time participants.

Suo

Smash Apprentice

The ending is legendary.
Cam, I'm sure you'll be able to see what I meant about how Brawl is closer to Street Fighter III than other games. While it may seem 'campy' and such at first it's really more a cerebral battle where they have to correctly outwit each other.
Haha, I remember the first time I saw that match it actually spurred me on to play 3rd Strike. I actually have a decent Akuma, haven't touched 3rd strike in months tho.

Agreed about brawl and the cerebral aspect, it definitely has its shortcomings though, in my eyes at least.

Can't make it to the 'fest this week, hope everyone has a great time, hopefully I can attend next week!

Fogel

Smash Lord
Hmm...You're a little more asian than I remember but GJ nonetheless.

Here are some more videos that highlight your point from some double matches. Quality is meh. Although the second one is epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGgGChE0CDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU
Ken shouldn't have taken Isai's stock :( Isai was tanking it, he was up a stock for most of the match.

The ending is legendary.

flash: That second video truely was epic! It actually made me laugh out loud. :)
I've seen the last bit of the video before, it's kind of a classic :)

Haze, Knuckles, HiDef and I will sign up for the biweeky. Team Budgies (HiDef and I) will enter doubles, and Haze and Knuckles are unsure right now, due to terrible team compatibility. We'll all sign up for singles, and I'll bring the Wii again.

That is, if we're still welcome after the stolen money fiasco :urg: Did that ever get sorted out?
I was going to wait and talk to you guys about it in person, but it got sorted out. It turns out that all of the money was present and accounted for; Ian and Derek both had the correct amount after all. I apologize for bringing it up in the first place; I just heard that money was missing so I figured I'd ask you guys before you left. So, don't worry about it.

PND

Smash Champion
K. We'll be coming again tonight, and Haze and Knuckles said they want to sign up for the doubles tonight as team Piemasters. I'll bring the Wii again. We might be a bit late, around 5:30 - 6:00 ish, but we won't be past that.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Always enjoyed watching the crowd reaction in that Daigo match.
Yeah, crowds add a lot to things. I've been watching a couple of videos of SFII:ST (that's just a bit much... and now we're getting SFII:STHDR :psycho:), especially of Sirlin playing, and I'm always impressed by the crowds that they draw in. Hell, I want to go to EVO now. :)

Do Smash tournaments get much in terms of crowds? I've not heard of any real, large, organized Smash tournaments like EVO and such. Wait, do they play Smash at EVO?

Oh well, in the end it doesn't matter since we'll all be playing Dream Mix TV World Fighters soon enough (when/if Jan downloads it so we can play on his modded PS2). Screw Smashfests! We needs us some Dream Mix TV World Fighters-fests! ;)

Fogel

Smash Lord
Biweekly Results:

Doubles:

1: Team GheySaus (Arsenic + Saus)
2: Team NeverGonnaGiveYouUp (Fogel + Fox)
3: Team Curious ***balls (LaN + Kran)
4: Team PieMasters (Haze + Nukls)
5: Team Budgie (HDTV + Dread)
5: Team PK Bucket (Zylem + IvanEva)
7: Team CPU (4dam + Justin)

Singles:

1: Saus
2: Zylem
3: Fox
4: IvanEva
5: LaN
5: Haze
7: Justin
7: Fogel
9: Jan
9: Joblin
9: HIDEF
9: Nukls
13: 4dam
13: Kran
13: Arsenic
13: PNDMike

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Next time, I think we should record the finals matches, because they were epic. GG's guys, it was fun to the very end. Munchkins 4tw.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Stuff

Orlando, I think we did really well in teams together. Do you want to team for future biweeklies/ToS5?

Randy/Derek, are you guys going to team up at ToS5?

I think biweeklies should be capped at 16 people from now on (it was at 16 this week) due to both time and space constraints. It didn't end until sometime after midnight, and I don't want things to drag out much longer than that. As far as enforcing it, it would make registering in advance that much more important. If things go beyond 16, we could have a waiting list in case someone who registers drops out.

Any thoughts on capping the numbers at 16 (16 singles, 8 doubles teams)?

Also, it would be nice if someone brought another TV for smashfests; 4 setups would make things go more smoothly.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
I'm really sorry I wasn't there guys, I was going to bring my Wii and T.V. remote and stuffs but something came up at like 3:30 so I couldn't go.

I'm fine with a 16 cap on bi-weeklies, and the waiting list also sounds pretty good.

Krantastic

Smash Rookie
Next time I'll rank higher than that level 1 CPU. Teams was epic fun, and Haze was really fun to play against. Good stuff. Hooray!

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Orlando, I think we did really well in teams together. Do you want to team for future biweeklies/ToS5?

I think biweeklies should be capped at 16 people from now on (it was at 16 this week) due to both time and space constraints. It didn't end until sometime after midnight, and I don't want things to drag out much longer than that. As far as enforcing it, it would make registering in advance that much more important. If things go beyond 16, we could have a waiting list in case someone who registers drops out.

Also, it would be nice if someone brought another TV for smashfests; 4 setups would make things go more smoothly.
Yeah sure, team NeverGonnaGiveYouUp FTW, well almost. I dont really like the idea of the cap but I can understand why its needed. If we have atleast one more it might not be necessary.

Recording would be interesting since some pretty cool stuff happened which couldnt get saved on a replay because of gay 3 minute limits.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
i didn't get to play vs any lucas or G&W...only marths and ikes....*sad face*
Yeah, seriously! Just think how different the end results would have been: you would have destroyed my brother who would then have beaten Orlando which would have paved the way to my Lucas finally beating ***balls, followed by him finally getting to use all of the anti-Ike techniques I've been dying to try out. Which would have ending in my winning. :laugh:

Recording is a must! To those that didn't get to see it: Orlando's Marth is so ridiculously powerful that fully charged Aura Spheres just bounce right off of him. Seriously! It was nuts! I won't be surprised if next Smashfest Orlando's Marth starts shooting lasers, breathing fire, and teleporting. :dizzy:

I'm against a participants cap as I'd much rather just have one less stock per match or less matches so that we all get to play against a wider variety of people. As well, if one more TV/Wii/whatever is the problem, we can organize who will bring what next time so that we can have enough games and such at the same time.

As a side note, Cam, my brother and I are reevaluating our combatibility for doubles in ToS5. We don't exactly work well together so we might be breaking off, looking for new partners... partners who don't kill themselves or their partner's characters. :(

Lastly, to the guy who suicided against my Lucas: never, ever give up in a match. Change your playstyle instead or something but by suiciding you won't learn anything. I mean, if you've already given up before the match is complete, use that time to try out new and erratic things. After all, Zelda has that whole cross-dresser move going for her so there's even more change you can do.

arsenic41

Smash Ace

I think it is too early to say if me and Derek will be teaming for ToS5, I'm not even sure if I'm able to make it to ToS5 even.

I'm also not that crazy on a cap limit, if 16 entrants were present yesterday out of the 17 (I included Mason) it woud mean that one of us would not be able to attend the bi-weekly every time we have one, which would be extremely ghey.

But I do have to say, if we did have 17 people, we would have pools, which would mean more people eliminated and less people in the brackets, which could make for a faster tournament, but could also be gay for the people in brackets where people might have 2 byes or something where as the other people might have to face off against Derek or something like that.

So actually, I really don't know if we should ahve the Cap. I would prefer not to have one in hopes of getting everyone into the bi-weekly, but it would also mean that until we get an even number of people, the tournament brackets are going to be messed up.

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
As a side note, Cam, my brother and I are reevaluating our combatibility for doubles in ToS5. We don't exactly work well together so we might be breaking off, looking for new partners... partners who don't kill themselves or their partner's characters. :(
Kevin said he was interested in going to ToS5, but if he chooses not to go, i may need a partner. Just for now i r with kevin though.

But I do have to say, if we did have 17 people, we would have pools, which would mean more people eliminated and less people in the brackets, which could make for a faster tournament
I think it's not just a time thing, it's a combination of time and space and as we grow larger than 16 players, we may need to change venue or have setups upstairs as well. Cam's call though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom