• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I understand that for everyone who isn't me, more people == good. However, as the host, I have a few issues. Most of the issue is the crowding. The house gets really hot with that many people around (believe it or not, the A/C was on last Friday...it's just not enough). There's also cleanup, people leave food wrappers and drink bottles/cans in the basement which I have to hunt around for when everyone leaves. More people will just compound those problems.

A lot of people think we can just move some stuff upstairs, but it won't really work out as well as people think. For one, I don't have a lot of extra chairs; sure there's a few at the kitchen table, but if people are using those it means no one can use the table to eat at, or play Magic/Munchkin/whatever. Also, I don't want to have to rearrange that floor every week just to accommodate more people. I'd prefer to keep the smash in the basement if at all possible because it minimizes the work I have to do as host.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
as someone who's hosted a bunch of people before:
please pick up your trash and throw it in a garbage. cam is a really cool guy for having you guys over so often and it's really the least you can do.

also, munchkin rules.

that is all.

eternalgamer

Smash Apprentice
The tourney was quite fun, although I got ***** and only won one round (thanks Kev for giving me any hope only to get crushed in the next round by Toon Link, lol). I wish I was there on time for the doubles, I think it would have been really fun as well.

"more people == good" Wow Cam you are such a programmer, lol!

I'll bring Munchkin next week since it was a total success.

Jobin (Joblin the Goblin)

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Alright then...It pains me to say this, but in order to make it easier for Cam and the tourney, I will only register the first 16 people to tell me if they are going to attend. Registration will begin on the monday of the bi-weekly week. That's all.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
On a totally unrelated note, since I'm not going to ToS5, I will not be teaming with Derek until I get back from China. Anyways, I'm l ooking for a team partnet, anyone up for it?

TuigiX

Smash Rookie
who do i have to contact in order to get information about where these tourneys are beeing held etc...can anyone PM me?

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Jobin (Joblin the Goblin)
YES! Joblin! Nice to have you on the boards! I hope the tournament has spurred you to practice on a daily basis! :laugh:

I can totally understand Cameron's position as, thinking back, I forgot to pick up my can of soda (which was generously given to me by Cameron) from the table downstairs. :(

Ok, so, looking at the past two biweekly results I've come up with a great way to save on space/time/people/whatever: let's make it so that Derrick, Orlando, Ariel, and Ian are only allowed to use either the B button or the A button, but not both. They'll have to choose their button when they select their characters. As well, the only character available to them should be Yoshi. Orlando, however, isn't allowed to pick blue Yoshi as he looks too much like Marth and thus runs the risk of transferring over some of his Marth skills. As well, Derrick isn't allowed to use either B or A. He'll have to rely on footstool jumps only. Lastly, they'll have to taunt every ten seconds or they forfeit the match. I dunno, to me this just seems like the best solution to the crowd problem. ;)

arsenic41

Smash Ace
It seems pretty fail Harold, I'll be honest. Oh yeah, can you ask your brother if he is intrested in teaming.

PND

Smash Champion
Haze and I ran out and bought Munchkin the next day, haha. We've been playing it and brawl all weekend.

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so, looking at the past two biweekly results I've come up with a great way to save on space/time/people/whatever: let's make it so that Derrick, Orlando, Ariel, and Ian are only allowed to use either the B button or the A button, but not both. They'll have to choose their button when they select their characters. As well, the only character available to them should be Yoshi. Orlando, however, isn't allowed to pick blue Yoshi as he looks too much like Marth and thus runs the risk of transferring over some of his Marth skills. As well, Derrick isn't allowed to use either B or A. He'll have to rely on footstool jumps only. Lastly, they'll have to taunt every ten seconds or they forfeit the match. I dunno, to me this just seems like the best solution to the crowd problem. ;)
i LMAO'd when i read this...gg, don't forget when we lose we get kicked out of the house

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
Munchkin does, in fact kick ***! :D

P.S. Thanks Kran for that honorable mention. Those were intense matches. Hope to play you again next time :D

I vow to beat Lucas... eventually...

flash7

Smash Journeyman
One of the problems I see with the cap is that it may end up being the same 16 people that always register and then might be hard for new comers to join.

Id be willing to help you out with clean up and what not as im sure other people would be, but if its space thats the big problem than theres not much we can do about it.

However as it is your house if you say 16 max than thats what itll be.

I suppose one thing we could do (now that we have had two tourneys) is to have the bottom 2 players wait to register (maybe till wednesday or thursday) so that other people (new comers) may register before them if they wish to. But if no new comers want to join in than those that had to wait can register later on.

This is just a suggestion and the main idea is to try to address how new comers can play. The bottom two was just an example it can be the the top two even as it might not be fair if it were the other way around.

The first come first serve would still be in effect, but it would essentially be for the first 14 slots. There are still some unanswered questions here (what to do in certain situations), but if you guys like this idea than perhaps we can come up with a complete 'solution'.

Comments/Suggestions?

arsenic41

Smash Ace
One of the problems I see with the cap is that it may end up being the same 16 people that always register and then might be hard for new comers to join.

Id be willing to help you out with clean up and what not as im sure other people would be, but if its space thats the big problem than theres not much we can do about it.

However as it is your house if you say 16 max than thats what itll be.

I suppose one thing we could do (now that we have had two tourneys) is to have the bottom 2 players wait to register (maybe till wednesday or thursday) so that other people (new comers) may register before them if they wish to. But if no new comers want to join in than those that had to wait can register later on.

This is just a suggestion and the main idea is to try to address how new comers can play. The bottom two was just an example it can be the the top two even as it might not be fair if it were the other way around.

The first come first serve would still be in effect, but it would essentially be for the first 14 slots. There are still some unanswered questions here (what to do in certain situations), but if you guys like this idea than perhaps we can come up with a complete 'solution'.

Comments/Suggestions?
In my opinion, the next bi-weekly will stay at 16 people until we can figure things out. And from the looks of it, Registrations will start now. Just remember, the first 16 to register will be making it into the next bi-weekly, anyone else I'm sorry to say is to wait until the next one.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
With that being said...Bi-weekly stuffs:

Singles (3 spots remaining) :
Arsenic
LaN
Saus
Kran
IvanEva
Zylem
Suo
Flash7
Fogel
Azrealdnt
Julian
Jan
Joblin the Hoblin Moblin Goblin

Singles Waiting List:

Doubles:
Scraa Alpha (LaN + SAUS)
Team Chocolate Rain (Arsenic + Zylem)
Team NeverGonnaGiveYouUp (Fogel + Fox)
Death and Taxes (Ben + Azrealdnt)
Team Harold? (IvanEva + Joblin the Moblin Goblin)

Doubles unpaired (until confirmation):
Kran
IvanEva
Suo

Other people considering entering will have to post on SWF by Friday.

Setups:

Wii's:
1) Fogel
2)LaN
3)Azrealdnt
4)Flash7

TV's:
1)Fogel
2)Fogel
3)Fogel
5)Jan
6)LaN

Stages (These will not change until the next bi-weekly):

Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:
Rainbow Cruise - Melee
Delfino Plaza
Squeege's Mansion
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Jungle Japes - Melee
Corneria - Melee (Doubles)
Brinstar - Melee
Pokemon Stadium - Melee
Distant Planet

Banned:
Hanenbow
Corneria - Melee (Singles)
Bridge of Eldin
Green Hill Zone
Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Pokemon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
WarioWare, Inc.
Onett - Melee
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Pictochat
Green Greens - Melee
Pirate Ship
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Temple - Melee
Yoshi's Island - Melee
Big Blue - Melee

Entry Fee:
-$1 per person for singles
-$1 per team for doubles

Rules:
-Standard 3 stock 7 minute matches, Bo3 for bracket matches, Bo5 for finals and Grand Finals.
-Johns will lead to inevitable taunting (do so at your own risk).
-Victory dances are allowed, but you will look silly, so do so at your own expense.
-Any mention of Marth being a guy will be revoked of taunting rights, and will be laughed at (<3 Fan).
-High intrest bank loans compounded hourly are neccessary for competing (again...<3 Fan).

IMPORTANT NOTE

the tournament will start at 6:30 in hopes of ending soon enough to get a doubles started, so get yo ***** to Cam's by that time participants.

Krantastic

Smash Rookie
I shall take this opportunity to sign up for the next bi-weekly. Although if somebody who doesn't get in wants to compete and offers me a cookie or something, I can swap for a seat at the Munchkin table (which I could make it to in a couple rounds anyways). Weeeeeeeee... oh, at the moment I'm just up for singles. Unless somebody was wowed by my amazing team skills, cause it was fun. But I think Toon Link carried Diddy like Banjo carried Kazooie (omg literary technique- allusion!) . . . Lucas is about the same size and age as Toon Link... but I don't want the universe to asplode or anything...

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Ariel and I are, as always, up for the next biweekly. We're both also interested in going for doubles - him with Arsenic and me with... Kran? You know how much Lucas loves his monkey. :p

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Just an annoucement, there are only 5 sopts remaining, so hurry up and sign upi f you haven't already done so.

EDIT: oh yeah, Ariel, we need an epic name for our team, you got one?

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
um, just in case Cameron doesn't get the post on time...i would recommend putting him in anyways seeing as he is hosting and all... So he will inevitably be there..

Fogel

Smash Lord
Yeah I'm in. Put me down for singles and Orlando+me for doubles. I'm not sure why we're registering so early though, this isn't even going to happen for another 2 Fridays!

As for the cap, I understand people's concerns but the fact remains that there still isn't that much space, and we still don't even have a working 4th setup. I also don't want to have to stay up until like 2-3am waiting for 32 person tourneys to finish; ideally it would be nice if things were done by midnight because I sometimes have to do things Saturday morning. So, I'm going to keep the 16 person cap around; I'm not convinced that letting more people in is a good idea.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Sign me up for singles please, I'll also team with whoever needs a partner, thanks!

Anyone picking up MGS4? first MGS I havent gotten on release :(

edit: wow Munchkin looks fun.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Notice: 2 spots remain.

Also, I noticed that my notice said that registration was going to be next monday, sorry, it was suppose to be this monday.

Sorry for the shock or inconvinience for anyone because of my typo, but I wanted to get the registrations over with this week since I have hardcore exam studying this week and exams next week, I wanted to get this done as soon as possible.

Azrealdnt

Smash Cadet
I'd like to sign up if possible.

If two spots are open I'd like to bring a friend for doubles, but if not, I'm fine with just playing singles or playing with someone who doesn't have a partner.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
um, just in case Cameron doesn't get the post on time...i would recommend putting him in anyways seeing as he is hosting and all... So he will inevitably be there..
Haha, wouldn't that be pretty funny:

Cameron: "Alright guys, time for some Smash!"

Randy: "Umm, Cameron? You didn't sign up for the tournament. I'm afraid you'll have to wait outside until it's all done."

Cameron: "Ummm.... ok?... I guess I'll be upstairs then...

Randy: "No! OUTSIDE!"

:laugh:

Suo: I'll probably be watching the whole thing on youtube when somebody posts it. From what I've read, half of it is cutscenes and codecs so I doubt I'll be missing too much from not playing it. Now that I think about it, nothing cool has ever happened in-game in either MGS1, 2, or 3. Everything has been in the cutscenes. I hope they're posted soon.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Notice: There are no more spots for Singles, sorry if you didn't make it, but thats the deal.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
I still say we look at my option in the future, itll keep the cap at 16 and give some new comers a chance. If we are doing it on a first post basis should those attending be required to make a post? Sorry if im bothering you guys with this, its just that I really much prefer things to be defined/declared before hand. It must come from my mathemtical/programming background.

Harold: I thought fighting Psycho Mantis was pretty cool.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Harold: I thought fighting Psycho Mantis was pretty cool.
OH YEAH!!! Wow, I totally forgot about that one! I guess I'll have to watch some gameplay videos in-between the cutscenes then. :laugh:

I actually would totally pick it up if it was on PC. Metal Gear rocks. Konami's decision to keep it on PS3, however... :urg:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom