• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

Fogel

Smash Lord
It really is Moses, seriously. Mike, I'm surprised you still have doubts even after my IRL explanations!

Also, thanks to everyone who posted helpful advice. I, and probably most people here, definitely appreciate it.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Moses! C'mon, man...go back to normal D: I know I'm just one person, but I preferred you that way.
Posted at 7:08
I'm pretty sure they're different people, but not positive.
Posted at 7:09

The timing is hilariously perfect.

@Cam-Yes, I did find all these discussions helpful. But I just finished going through playing to win and of course, there's a part concerning the sweetspot range. Ben & Orl both mentioned spacing and all that as well, though. I have been working a bit on my main... I think I might get into brawl as seriously as everyone else now. I shall use my powers of observation. And like everyone else, I do have my secret technique in reserve... except that developing it hasn't been going very well =S. That's ok though, I have a secret back up technique. Though, it's not as good... not even close.

@Moses-Come back when you can.

@Everyone else-Completely unrelated, but 'Take on me' is such a good song.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I wish I had secret techniques D:

All I have are vague areas of stuff I'm trying to think about, but I don't know if they'll lead to direct improvement. Unlike Ben and Bryant, who seem to know what to do next, I still can't think of anything concrete to improve on. In Melee, improving mostly just meant learning more combos, getting more consistent tech skill and playing faster. It's not so straightforward in Brawl (to me, at least). All I can do for now is to try and improve my observation/prediction and hope it helps...

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
I wish I had secret techniques D:

All I have are vague areas of stuff I'm trying to think about, but I don't know if they'll lead to direct improvement. Unlike Ben and Bryant, who seem to know what to do next, I still can't think of anything concrete to improve on. In Melee, improving mostly just meant learning more combos, getting more consistent tech skill and playing faster. It's not so straightforward in Brawl (to me, at least). All I can do for now is to try and improve my observation/prediction and hope it helps...
My secret technique is very difficult to do. Much more difficult than anyone else's. I am pretty sure anyways.

As for improvement, if you save all your replays while on my Wii, you can review your style of gameplay and see what needs work. Getting others to critique(like Moses) might also be a good idea.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I was referring to the Fiction / Futile fiasco
Ah, right. It was right next to Alan's post so I assumed you were referring to Moses.

My secret technique is very difficult to do. Much more difficult than anyone else's. I am pretty sure anyways.

As for improvement, if you save all your replays while on my Wii, you can review your style of gameplay and see what needs work. Getting others to critique(like Moses) might also be a good idea.
I was thinking of recording some matches for this...either I'll tape them on my setup, or on your Wii.

jan

Smash Cadet
I'm not coming tonight, but I figured I'd post that for the next friendlies, phoque Brawl! I'll be bringing Yomi - David Sirlin's fighting card game. I've been playing it the past few days with my brother and a guy from work, and I'm interested to see what you guys think of it.

In David Sirlin style, he's very focused on game balance, so he's letting anyone download the decks (characters) for free until the official release so that they can let him know about any balance issues:
http://www.sirlin.net/yomi

The game is easy to play and the characters have a lot of variety. Mindgames only. Check it out!

buenob

Smash Lord
cam - when would be a good time to come and get my bike? i'll be out, but checking again around 2pm...

also, i'd be down for trying sirlin's card game for sure.... though I find him over-rated in general, i'd really be interested in seeing what his card game is like... (from what I read, i'd be paying to play rock-paper-scisors, though i know it'll not be that basic)

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I'm not coming tonight, but I figured I'd post that for the next friendlies, phoque Brawl! I'll be bringing Yomi - David Sirlin's fighting card game. I've been playing it the past few days with my brother and a guy from work, and I'm interested to see what you guys think of it.

In David Sirlin style, he's very focused on game balance, so he's letting anyone download the decks (characters) for free until the official release so that they can let him know about any balance issues:

The game is easy to play and the characters have a lot of variety. Mindgames only. Check it out!
Phoque David Sirlin, we need to play some ROCKBAND!

Fogel

Smash Lord
Who wants to go to the Montreal tourney next Saturday? I've got the car again that weekend. The plan is to leave Saturday morning, and we are going to be staying at Joel's Saturday night. We'll be picking him up on the way again, so I can only take three other people. Ben called a spot already, anyone else interested in the other two spots?

I'm down, how many decks did you print off?

cam - when would be a good time to come and get my bike? i'll be out, but checking again around 2pm...

also, i'd be down for trying sirlin's card game for sure.... though I find him over-rated in general, i'd really be interested in seeing what his card game is like... (from what I read, i'd be paying to play rock-paper-scisors, though i know it'll not be that basic)
I'll be home until around 6-6:30, then I'm going out for a bit. Bring the gas money ($30) for Not Genesis if you can, I forgot to get it from you yesterday.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
It's tempting. I need to get my revenge on Montreal for making me place dead last.

I'll get a hold of Moses! lol kidding

I'll get back to you later, Cam.

In other news, ordering a Wii AC Adapter is proving difficult. I don't know if I'm able to buy them locally...and Nintendo doesn't accept payment by mailed cash. I'll go to Best Buy tomorrow and see what's up.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, it is, that's kind of why places like GameTZ, iOffer, or eBay, or whatever people who use that method require that it be "well concealed". Or...least I guess that's why they do it.

rc-80

Smash Rookie
I might not be able to go to the pool on Sunday because it's Father's Day. Can you make it on Saturday instead?

buenob

Smash Lord
yeah i'm down cam :) i just have work sunday at 1pm, so I have to be back for that, but I'm definitely going to get to this

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I'd love to go but somebody would have to pay for me; food, gas, lodging, strippers, a PS3, etc. You'd have to pay for all of that.

Jan: I'd love to try out Sirlin's game. I find that he's large underrated and hated upon just for being great (like what you punks did to Michael Jackson!). Hopefully I'll be better at Yomi than I have been at Brawl this past while.

mosesrko24

Smash Apprentice
Hey Cam, can you hold a spot for me for montreal ( dont worry it won't be anything like last time lol)

Fogel

Smash Lord
Ok, so tentatively the spots belong to Ben, Moses, and Alan unless one of them backs out. If you are still interested, post anyways; you never know, a spot may open up.

Gas will probably be about $10-15 per person with 4 of us.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Wow you guys are too awesome.

1.) Moses is not Moses, that is not the Moses I know, IMPOSTER! I think it's Harold. Call it a hunch.

2.) Im moving out on July 1st, omg woooow, I feel old. I'm thinking of leaving my videogames and tv and living like a monk in my new appartment. It's tempting.

3.) I find that improving in anything requires practice, or at least for myself it always yields the greatest returns.

Practice allows you to build a connection with the game systems and character, making them an extension of your mind. That really is always my main goal, to break the barrier of thinking, you want to become so comfortable that things happen in split second reactions.

I find that the more I practice in a game, I even start to see frames that weren't there before, everything slows down, without actually slowing down.

It reminds me of these awesome reflex drills that I used to do for basketball, I started with average reflexes but eventually was REALLY proficient, reacting in split seconds. This **** can be trained guys.

lastly as I rant about the importance of practice. You need to be so confident in the control of your character that you are 'in control' at all times. No matter where you find yourself, no matter what situation, you are at peace. This is your character, this is your game. To win in a fighting game, you are simply exerting your 'will' on the opponent more than they can exert theirs.

Love you all!

PND

Smash Champion
I figure that's why Twilight Princess was so easy. It was gorgeous and I loved it, but it was pretty easy. They're using it as a "bridge"
of Eldin
Zelda to bring in new fans, and I have first hand witnessed it work. My ex roomate was the stereotypical Madden / Halo fan, great guy, all he played were very mainstream titles along those lines. Also, Tekken. He was a friggin' beast and Tekken, and got me good. He couldn't hold a candle to me in Melee, or our other roommate is Soul Calibur though, but regardless we played a lot of fighting games.

ANYWAY

He played through Twilight Princess, and after the showdown on Eldin, his exact quote was "This game is an 11/10. This is the best game I have ever played." And he kept playing, being amazed at the things that I found rather mundane, being a spoiled Zelda brat. His amazement at everything led me to play through Twilight Princess again, not compared to Majora's Mask, Ocarina, or LttP, but instead on its own merits, I played through it through the eyes of a newcomer. . . and was amazing. Taken on its own, I think Twilight Princess is one of the best Zelda games to date, and I stick by that opinion.

By taking myself out of my own perspective, I saw what Nintendo was doing, and since then I've had faith in the Wii. That article mostly brought to light the marketing behind it. And hopefully the new Zelda is harder :p

TP was not meant to be the next OoT, it was meant to be the next wave of gamers' OoT. It's a subtle difference, but I respect it way more since seeing it that way.

jan

Smash Cadet
Thanks for posting that article, Mike! I'd heard about it before but never got the chance to check it out. Great read! Nintendo rocks, even if I'm too hardcore of a gamer for their current business model.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
I played TP right after I beat Shadow of the Colossus. Let me say this: I typed out Shadow of the Colossus. Twice now. TP stays TP.

Shadow of the Colossus made TP look like mediocre to me. TP was cool. Had epic horse rides, sword fights, the music, the vastness of the world, everything. Shadow of the Colossus did too. Only, it had more epic music, a better horse, no tedious missions, no markets, no item-of-the-day kinda thing going on. It wasn't as long, but it got to the point. It was is amazing.

In TP, I rode a top. I thought that was ********. I am misjudging TP. I am pretty sure I am anyways. But right after Shadow of the Colossus? Might as well eat blueberry pie and when you're finished go eat some grass.

EDIT: Going to post here instead of choking up the bieekly thread. I think I might still go to non biweeklies but I want to do random stuff like custom stages, or stamina, or items or w/e. I want to play Super Smash Bros Brawl the party game, not the competitive one. If you guys want as much competitive practice as possible let me know so that I don't have to go and... just kinda be there. I wanna play on customs stages. I am sure that I am not alone in this... right?

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Can I have a list of all the Ottawa people I am housing, and when? If you come down on Friday evening, you are all invited to join my friend's poker tournament! 20 people, 20 bucks, who's down?

buenob

Smash Lord
i'd be down if cam wants to go on friday, otherwise I'm gonna go with him... i think it's just 4 of us coming up

Fogel

Smash Lord
With a tournament looming, is there going to be a Smashfest this Friday?
I still need to figure out when I'm going to get the car. If I have to get it Friday night, there's not much point in having a 2 hour smashfest. If I get it earlier, we can still have it.

Can I have a list of all the Ottawa people I am housing, and when? If you come down on Friday evening, you are all invited to join my friend's poker tournament! 20 people, 20 bucks, who's down?
Myself, Ben, Moses, Alan (Linkshot) at the moment. We're only planning to stay Saturday night for now, I'll let you know if things change.

I played TP right after I beat Shadow of the Colossus. Let me say this: I typed out Shadow of the Colossus. Twice now. TP stays TP.

Shadow of the Colossus made TP look like mediocre to me. TP was cool. Had epic horse rides, sword fights, the music, the vastness of the world, everything. Shadow of the Colossus did too. Only, it had more epic music, a better horse, no tedious missions, no markets, no item-of-the-day kinda thing going on. It wasn't as long, but it got to the point. It was is amazing.

In TP, I rode a top. I thought that was ********. I am misjudging TP. I am pretty sure I am anyways. But right after Shadow of the Colossus? Might as well eat blueberry pie and when you're finished go eat some grass.

EDIT: Going to post here instead of choking up the bieekly thread. I think I might still go to non biweeklies but I want to do random stuff like custom stages, or stamina, or items or w/e. I want to play Super Smash Bros Brawl the party game, not the competitive one. If you guys want as much competitive practice as possible let me know so that I don't have to go and... just kinda be there. I wanna play on customs stages. I am sure that I am not alone in this... right?
I'm pretty sure there will always be Brawl lulz going on at some setup...I don't think there's a need to stop showing up just because of that.

Top Bottom