• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

Fogel

Smash Lord
lol well, i don't ever see the srk guys so you know how i actually feel about what they do :)

but i just wanted to point out they're not really "bad" people, they just enjoy themselves in a different way... also, the ottawa srk crew is actually quite formidable, and is known for doing very well at tournaments... maybe it's a bit of the mentality that sets them apart, and lets them get ahead in the game... I don't agree with them usually, but there's a time and a place for everything, and sometimes being called a n00b for punishing with a jab to the back of the face can make the difference...

i remember when I used to punish with throws as ken, cancelled into shippu (2nd impact)... i thought it was awesome, and I was having fun... then they started getting on my case, so I just beat a couple still doing it... then I faced ehsan, and he was beating me... he was playing urien and crushed at me, I parried, threw, super-cancel and he lived, and then he killed me in the next attack (baited my no-action on wake-up)... if I had done a real combo, I could have won...

when you're playing for fun, play for fun... when you're playing to win, play to win... it's not necessarily mutually exclusive, but usually they aren't the same...
The thing is, in that situation, he could have just told you "doing a combo instead of punishing with a throw does more damage" and I'm sure you would have tried it out. No need to be a **** about it. Though, I can see how it would make you change up your habits faster...

I personally don't think playing for fun and playing to win are that far apart. Most people who are 'playing to win' are doing so because they have fun while doing it.

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
I may come to this s4 fest. The game might be growing on me, or it could just be the fact that I dont like losing :p. Although Sundays are generally my work days, so we'll see if im free.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
even though I am working, I probably wil lbe making an appearence. But how many guys are showing up? Even that night with Harold, Ariel , Orlando and I it was getting kinda boring waiting.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Well, I haven't gotten in touch with Dan yet but he might have two TVs to use. If Sundays are the devil than perhaps Saturdays would be good?

On topic: Not that anybody really cares but I'm finally going to change the thread picture sometime this week. It'll be a masterpiece.

Edit: I've listened to Cruel Angel's Thesis more times than is healthy... and yet it's still the best theme ever!

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Also, Ariel, 1) reading that Bush thing again made me laugh quite a bit again and 2) nice cliff/slope quote (even though it has nothing to do with elitism).
I am pretty sure Bush planned out most of his presidency. Thinking back on it, he was a pretty cool guy. No one else has trolled the world quite like him.

As for the cliff/slope thing, yes it does. Climbing a cliff takes a sith lot of effort, while walking up a slope doesn't. You'll get to the top eventually in either way, but the cliff is about lots of hardship, whereas the slope is about taking things easy.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Well, I haven't gotten in touch with Dan yet but he might have two TVs to use. If Sundays are the devil than perhaps Saturdays would be good?

On topic: Not that anybody really cares but I'm finally going to change the thread picture sometime this week. It'll be a masterpiece.

Edit: I've listened to Cruel Angel's Thesis more times than is healthy... and yet it's still the best theme ever!
Two TV's at your place? will we even have space to move?

Suo

Smash Apprentice
I may come to this s4 fest. The game might be growing on me, or it could just be the fact that I dont like losing :p. Although Sundays are generally my work days, so we'll see if im free.
SFIV is interesting, it took me a while before I REALLY started to like it. I feel like I understand it more now, and it really has some interesting game play once you get into it.

I'll show up to this Sunday's 'fest Harold, I even booked it off! Be sure to tell me if you switch it to Saturday so I can make sure I'm free.

If the SFIV fests really take off, we should look into procuring another TV, I might have one available.

Can't wait to see the new thread picture, always funny.

Two TV's at your place? will we even have space to move?
If space is an issue, I could look into holding it in the upstairs of my house, plenty of room and couches etc. I'll leave this one up to Harold he knows best.

buenob

Smash Lord
i would also be able to host, and because of the awesomeness of the 360/ps3, we can even do it on the hdtvs lol...

also, the downside to my place would be that i can obviously only do it if i'm not working, but i know that at least 3 weeks in advance we'd definitely be able to plan around it...

just a suggestion

buenob

Smash Lord
unfortunately i have a pool tournament scheduled, and if I make it to the top (which I'm planning on doing) will be busy attempting to win ~1000 bucks... so... no :(

next sunday i'll be in niagara, but the sunday after that I'll know for sure later tonight

it doesn't have to be in the same place every time though... cams works really well FOR SMASH (clarity edit) 'cause he has the space and the means to put it on, but i don't think sf4 fests will be as big (edit) so won't require as much space, so we can (/edit) move it around to spread the travel burden

( sorry, i fail at online typing right now)

Fogel

Smash Lord
unfortunately i have a pool tournament scheduled, and if I make it to the top (which I'm planning on doing) will be busy attempting to win ~1000 bucks... so... no :(

next sunday i'll be in niagara, but the sunday after that I'll know for sure later tonight

it doesn't have to be in the same place every time though... cams works really well 'cause he has the space and the means to put it on, but i don't think sf4 fests will be as big, and moving it around will spread the travel burden
FYI I don't even own SFIV.

edit: Also, I'm usually at Go club on Sundays. We missed you last week :(

buenob

Smash Lord
erm, i meant for smash your place is awesome, but for sf4 we don't have to be at just one spot...

yeah, i was about to go but my friend decided to tell people to come over early to my place for a movie night, so people showed up around 2 instead of around 5... oh well... i'll be there eventually :( we need to play

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I have to admit, that unless the suggestion coming from this is "you could bring your SFIV to Cam's, Ben" that I'm actually well, a bit confused right now. As usual, lol.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
For friday, I was really hoping to get some serious matches in. Would it be possible to have a TV set up for serious matches?

EDIT: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=91e_1238156808 Mormons try to convert a guy. This video is the equivalent of two guys trying to teach someone else how to play Snake, not realizing that the person they are trying to teach is Ally.

EDIT2:
Yeah, for sure. I definitely need more DDD practice, I can never beat him :( I've also got a couple of things I want to try to work on with Falco, plus Brawl Sheik may be getting some training as well :)
I would really enjoy the Falco practice as well. I got lucky during the Swiss O_O

Also, I want to practice g&w and a bit of luigi actually.

Fogel

Smash Lord
For friday, I was really hoping to get some serious matches in. Would it be possible to have a TV set up for serious matches?
Yeah, for sure. I definitely need more DDD practice, I can never beat him :( I've also got a couple of things I want to try to work on with Falco, plus Brawl Sheik may be getting some training as well :)

SoLn

Smash Apprentice

EDIT: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=91e_1238156808 Mormons try to convert a guy. This video is the equivalent of two guys trying to teach someone else how to play Snake, not realizing that the person they are trying to teach is Ally.

EDIT2:

I would really enjoy the Falco practice as well. I got lucky during the Swiss O_O

Also, I want to practice g&w and a bit of luigi actually.
I think we need another 4-5 hr brawl fest soon, I need to beat your dedede ><. The only thing I didnt like about that video was that he didnt shake their hands after the ******. No matter how good or bad it goes you always gotta say your ggs and shake hands after any match :p.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
haha, yeah, we need to have another brawl marathon =P

If you're not busy friday, you me and Cam can have some serious matches. I'm starting to get really into brawl again =P

buenob

Smash Lord
so i'm starting to think that I'll have sunday off.. I may, if possible, attempt to attend a sf4 fest...

also, in preparation for OiN I would totally be down for travelling to anyone's house during the day (earlier the better) to practice some brawl... I have been way too out of this community for way too long :(

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Ariel, if you're coming Friday, I'll see if I can drag my cousin to show him your Custom Stages.

P.S.: He has Platinum and a 30 IV Atk Brave Bullet Punch Scizor. Completely legitimate.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I think we need another 4-5 hr brawl fest soon, I need to beat your dedede ><. The only thing I didnt like about that video was that he didnt shake their hands after the ******. No matter how good or bad it goes you always gotta say your ggs and shake hands after any match :p.
Good find! Those guys were sore winners...

so i'm starting to think that I'll have sunday off.. I may, if possible, attempt to attend a sf4 fest...

also, in preparation for OiN I would totally be down for travelling to anyone's house during the day (earlier the better) to practice some brawl... I have been way too out of this community for way too long :(
If that falls through, go to Go club!

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
When is the s4fest? Saturday during the day would be best for me but I think a vote is needed.

buenob

Smash Lord
anyone down for tomorrow (friday) early in the day? like 10-11am -> 2-3pm ish? (or shorter...)

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Ah, I dunno Ben. I don't have a ride and I don't know the route well enough to trust myself XDD

Unimportant note: I trimmed some of the older nametags off (as in, ones that you've replaced) on my Wii.

Don't get me wrong, though, Ben! I love you
r kitties

buenob

Smash Lord
lol my cats are top tier... everyone knows that... optimus will transform into a giant @#$^ing robot and murder you if you gain an advantage :) that and be super distracting all the time

I can travel, or if you want I can meet you at the major bus stop a 5 min walk from my place

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I can check the routes and see if that makes me feel more comfortable :p

A major gripe I have about travelling is that I have no contact during it. Johns.

Aside from the cats, you have a really sweet abode and would definitely want to go there rather than anywhere else.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I checked the route from Hurdman :O It looks suspicious because it doesn't take long. Only 19 min--

Well. I guess 19 isn't short.

KAY. I shall try to make it.

buenob

Smash Lord
just pm me with when you want to show up... if anyone else wants to that's a-ok but I only have 1 non-laggy tv and it's not the big one anymore since it broke after OBscene... also i'm looking into renting a community center which may be slightly larger and cheaper

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Ariel, if you're coming Friday, I'll see if I can drag my cousin to show him your Custom Stages.

P.S.: He has Platinum and a 30 IV Atk Brave Bullet Punch Scizor. Completely legitimate.
I'll be bringing my wii, but I want to play serious matches tbh. Everyone else can use it though.

Fogel

Smash Lord
If there's something Saturday, I might be able to show up and try it out (mostly for the lulz).

edit: Still Banned; they really need to fix that.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hey Ben, is that TV you're talking about the one that kept going all shades of green,then gray, then red and whatever when people were trying to use it? Because that thing made even boring matches funny to watch...somehow. And a community centre might uh...be cool?

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
If there's something Saturday, I might be able to show up and try it out (mostly for the lulz).

edit: Still Banned; they really need to fix that.
You should definitely come out, you can finally be the hostee rather than the hoster for an ottawa gamefest.

P.S. what is banned?

Top Bottom