• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
To Dominion and back round 2 time? :) (Harold here)
Yeah Ill be down for that this summer. If I get close to how I was a few summers ago by say June I may join the Canada day 10K run. Its been something that Ive wanted to do for a few years but always miss out. I think participating in that would be great and doing it within an hour would be a good goal for you, me, or anyone else thats interested, to have.

If you're interested we can start this saturday, we can start with about a 2 to 5K run. I encourage all to come and join in the fun. Just bring proper attire.

Remember to stay healthy my friends :)

P.S. Best of luck to you Tyler

IvanEva

Smash Ace
1. If you're interested we can start this saturday, we can start with about a 2 to 5K run. I encourage all to come and join in the fun. Just bring proper attire.

2. Remember to stay healthy my friends :)
1. I can't this Saturday since Jobin and I have our big Capoeira gathering (which you are welcome to come and watch - for free - or participate - around $20). Jason has mentioned something about wanting to go to some marathon thingy so perhaps the three of us could train together sometime.

2. Nah, don't bother. I've seen overwhelming evidence that being healthy still won't keep you from getting old and dying. :(

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Ya, I'd encourage anyone that wants to come watch or even participate to do so. It's a great workout and helps your core strength, balance and flexibility. Harold is probably twice as flexible now because of it. I believe it's $15 to participate in a 2 hour class then 1 hour brawl then food. If anyone is interested just PM and I can answer any questions or give you more details. Its this Saturday from 2-6 btw.

Also if you learn Capoeira you'll eventually learn Street Fighter moves.
Watch at 1:19 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H0D8VaIli0

PND

Smash Champion
And in that 10 or 20 years that you've gained they could develop nanomachines that fight the aging process, which I heard is currently in development. Or there could be a breakthrough in medical science that increases our lifetime by 5 years, to a decade or so.

Ergo, be healthy and you'll be immortal (maybe)

EDIT: Oh yeah, my reason for posting here. A) Come to OiN 3.14. You really should. (I'm housing Ottawa!) B) If I end up coming back to Ottawa, when do Capoeria classes run to? Is it all year long? Because I would be totally down for that. I've wanted to join it for years.

buenob

Smash Lord
yo i'm 100% going to oin!!! i dunno how i'm getting there, but I randomly got my shifts switched (hooray for other people changing their vacation day!) so now i'm free to go...

epic times will be had indeed!

joblin

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: Oh yeah, my reason for posting here. A) Come to OiN 3.14. You really should. (I'm housing Ottawa!) B) If I end up coming back to Ottawa, when do Capoeria classes run to? Is it all year long? Because I would be totally down for that. I've wanted to join it for years.
Depending where you want to study Capoeira you can do it all year long. You can take classes for each semester at Carleton for cheap. It's a good start and less formal. There is also a Capoeira school that I am thinking of starting this summer (Starts April 7). I believe it goes all year long. So whether you want to go to the school or do a combo with Carleton you can go whenever.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hm, I'll consider going to OiN if I can get a ride out there or something, but that's Easter Weekend, isn't it? Just asking since I've got a family dinner that weekend but I'm not sure yet if it's Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

buenob

Smash Lord
yeah it is easter weekend... since it's a one day tournament, it would be head out friday after work (i have the day off, and I think everyone does, but i'm not sure... ideally we'd leave in the AM so as not to drive at night) and then stay at mikes place, go to the tournament... got back to mikes place, then leave early sunday, again to avoid night driving (it sucks on long trips) and also to do family stuff easter sunday...

my offer of gas money//beers still stands :)

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I'll go if I can prostitute myself on the street enough to get the money. Considering I'm fat, smelly and hairy, this could be difficult.

As well, in case I didn't get to everybody: there will be NO SFIV fest at my place this Sunday. It's canceled.

Fogel

Smash Lord
And in that 10 or 20 years that you've gained they could develop nanomachines that fight the aging process, which I heard is currently in development. Or there could be a breakthrough in medical science that increases our lifetime by 5 years, to a decade or so.

Ergo, be healthy and you'll be immortal (maybe)

If I can drive down, there might be 2 Ottawa cars...are you actually able to house that many people?

edit: Though, even if I can go, my car may not necessarily be full; FFYF2 style :/

PND

Smash Champion
I have 2 couches, a spare mattress, and enough carpeted floor space to run a modest homeless shelter. I think I have an air mattress, too. So I'd recommend bringing a sleeping bag in case all the better bedding options get filled up / you don't feel like sharing a mattress with someone else. Or if it's warm by the tourney, we also could camp out on the beach.

Essentially, space isn't an issue, but comfortable bedding might be. I can realistically house about 10 people, but I might be able to house more if it's urgent.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Wow Im actually quite pissed.

EDIT: But have now calmed down.

Those SRK guys sure can come across as *******s though.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I have 2 couches, a spare mattress, and enough carpeted floor space to run a modest homeless shelter. I think I have an air mattress, too. So I'd recommend bringing a sleeping bag in case all the better bedding options get filled up / you don't feel like sharing a mattress with someone else. Or if it's warm by the tourney, we also could camp out on the beach.

Essentially, space isn't an issue, but comfortable bedding might be. I can realistically house about 10 people, but I might be able to house more if it's urgent.
Thanks for the offer! It's good to know there's a place to stay. If I can go, I'll bring a sleeping bag just in case.

Im in Ottawa!! Im gonna reach one of the fogel tournaments. Give me the details
The first post in this thread and the biweekly explain what's going on. FYI, next Friday will not be a tournament week, it will just be for friendly matches. If you're interested in coming out, let me know and I'll PM you the address and times.

Wow Im actually quite pissed.

EDIT: But have now calmed down.

Those SRK guys sure can come across as *******s though.
What's all this about?

Suo

Smash Apprentice
What's all this about?
I was just really frustrated because of how elitist and just generally rude and unwelcoming the Ottawa Street Fighter scene guys are.

Like coming from our awesome Smash scene where everyone is really nice, welcoming and cool, it's a hard pill to swallow.

It's basically to the point where I don't wanna have anything to do with the SRK guys, and just wanna slowly build up a seperate scene with Harold and others.

Fogel

Smash Lord
OiN Pi update: My family's Easter weekend plans are not set in stone yet, so I don't know for sure if I'll be able to go. My dad seems willing to let me use the car if the timing works out, though.

I was just really frustrated because of how elitist and just generally rude and unwelcoming the Ottawa Street Fighter scene guys are.

Like coming from our awesome Smash scene where everyone is really nice, welcoming and cool, it's a hard pill to swallow.

It's basically to the point where I don't wanna have anything to do with the SRK guys, and just wanna slowly build up a seperate scene with Harold and others.
I'm sorry to hear that :( I've never really been into the SRK scene; I only started competitive 'fighting' games with Melee and now Brawl, so I've never really interacted with that community. In my opinion, acting like that doesn't really help grow the scene; it might attract some of the arrogant, uber-competitive types, but drives pretty much everyone else away. I don't know how big the Ottawa SRK scene is, but the Smash scene here is too small to be driving away potential players like that.

I know you're more into SF than Smash now but you should come out again sometime, we all miss you :)

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hmm...it's kind of funny now that I think of it. If I wasn't playing Brawl, I'd probably have gotten a PS3 and tried to get into SF4. Actually, still might do that eventually, lol. But yeah, it's really kind of sad to hear that the Street Fighter and Smash scenes can be so opposite, y'know, like the whole night and day comparison. I really don't see the point of being rude, unwelcoming, condescending, or arrogant to the newcomers. Like, I've always felt that having more people and new people helps everyone in the scene. I mean, yeah someone may start out not that great, but eventually the people at the bottom could be the people at the top of the scene. And by that time, there could be a whole new set of newcomers coming in to let the cycle repeat. So I don't see anything constructive from the vets/"elites" not wanting to help the newcomers/"less skilled".

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, if they think having a "bad person" in the group would make them look bad, they could get their heads out of their a$$es and y'know, HELP the person/people get better. Earth shattering and unheard of idea I know. :ohwell:

IvanEva

Smash Ace
1. Your first post was vague, spiteful, and completely off topic. In future, please make your posts more informative, warm, and relevant like all of mine are. Indeed, all of my posts, this one included, can be considered works of art.

2. I concur with your 'separate scene with Harold' idea but that can really only come out from a community of dedicated players. Like, among the current Ottawa Smash guys you and I are the only ones who actually even own the game. Growing a "community" out of people here will be difficult. For example: yesterday Randy, Orlando, Ariel and I played at my place. Good times for sure but apart from a few matches here and there how far do they really plan on going with the game? Orlando barely has time for Brawl, Randy doesn't have SFIV (although, it should be noted, he doesn't have Brawl either yet he's at the top of the Ottawa scene), and my brother doesn't even like it. Growing a IV community out of the Brawl scene really rests on their (and Ben's) shoulders.

3. I hate Blanka.

4. Metal plate in leg? Eh? I need to see this scar.

5. This Sunday I'm busy (but if I get a bit restless I'm going to try to pop in for a half hour of games or something at your place - assuming somebody answers the door...) but I think that starting next Sunday it'll be the first official Ottawa Smash Street Fighter IV Fest at my place (or Dan's if he's up for it).

6. Just to encourage the potential Smash SFIV players here, here's how I view the tier list of everybody who I've played against thus far:

Street Fighter IV:
Top:
- Lavi, a friend of Dan (Sakura)
- Harold (Vega/Rose/Cammy)
- Dan (Characters that got ***** by Vega/Blanka that ***** Vega)

Middle:
- Ariel (Zangief)

Bottom:
- Orlando (Ken)
- Jan (Akuma)
- Randy (M.Bison/Abel)
- James (Akuma)
- Ben (Ken)

7. On topic: Mario's Smash movesets are based on Ryu's signature moves. We'll just assume that FLUDD is based on Ryu's HD Remix fake fireball.

buenob

Smash Lord
to be fair, i was beating everything but your vega harold, and even then it was only because you were spamming one move and I couldn't input the counter properly lol.. i've now played the game 4x... pheer meh!

also, the srk guys really aren't *****, they're just a bunch of people who want to be really good at the game.. if you're not "good" then they don't have the time for you... any scenario where you would say "ooohhh johns" they would literally insult you in an attempt to be dominant over you (yay social engineering lol)

like, I've known them all for a _long_ time (longer than any of us lol) and realistically I don't enjoy hanging out with many of them, but sometimes it's fun... if you can sit there and take a verbal beating, if you seriously want to get better at the game (and I mean really get better.. like, if you do a move with frame dis-advantage, you will get verbally abused, and then you need to fix it asap because they won't stop) they will eventually accept you...

I learned to play sf3:3s through this, and it's a different experience, but one that eventually will lead you straight to the "top tier"

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Cam- I'm gonna try to make it out to some smashfests, my schedule is much less busy now, I love the smash scene! :)

Harold- That tier list is bull, I'll prove it to ya next time. Even if we can't grow a full fledged scene, just something outside of SRK

Ben- Yea I hear you Ben, I've just always had problems with people or groups that share that mentality. I'd rather just avoid people like that, they're not worth the effort/stress. Even if it means I don't reach top tier as fast.

Why the **** am I up at 5:30 lool, I just watched twoo trippy movies. >.>

joblin

Smash Apprentice
There is no point in immersing yourself into that environment unless you want to actually stick to the game and go out to tournaments to win money. Other than that you're just wasting your time on split second frames in a game that will be replaced by a alpha/turbo/champion/hyper/remix version in a couple years. If you're not making money/living, if you're not helping others grow, and being completely arrogant than they should waste away in their basement way from normal functioning society. I say ****'em and play to win, have fun and get better without the unnecessary negativity.

PND

Smash Champion
Man, no Blanka on the PR? ****, now I really have to move back to Ottawa :(

(Seriously, I really have want to. I miss you guys. And fun. That's another big thing I miss)

EDIT: I fail at reading. So I will correct it with: No Blanka MAIN on the PR. >_>

Fogel

Smash Lord
to be fair, i was beating everything but your vega harold, and even then it was only because you were spamming one move and I couldn't input the counter properly lol.. i've now played the game 4x... pheer meh!

also, the srk guys really aren't *****, they're just a bunch of people who want to be really good at the game.. if you're not "good" then they don't have the time for you... any scenario where you would say "ooohhh johns" they would literally insult you in an attempt to be dominant over you (yay social engineering lol)

like, I've known them all for a _long_ time (longer than any of us lol) and realistically I don't enjoy hanging out with many of them, but sometimes it's fun... if you can sit there and take a verbal beating, if you seriously want to get better at the game (and I mean really get better.. like, if you do a move with frame dis-advantage, you will get verbally abused, and then you need to fix it asap because they won't stop) they will eventually accept you...

I learned to play sf3:3s through this, and it's a different experience, but one that eventually will lead you straight to the "top tier"
I suppose it depends what your goal is. For me, although I take it seriously and try to improve, Smash is still just a hobby. I wouldn't want to regularly put up with the kind of stuff you've mentioned to be the best at a particular game. Part of Smash for me is the people; if I had to spend time with the kinds of people you've described to play a certain game, I'd just quit and invest the time in something else (for me, probably more time in Go/programming :)).

Also, you can still be "top tier" and not be an ******* about it. See Ally/Holy for example; they're the best, but they are still nice and you can have reasonable games/conversations with them.

Cam- I'm gonna try to make it out to some smashfests, my schedule is much less busy now, I love the smash scene! :)
Yay, looking forward to it :)

Man, no Blanka on the PR? ****, now I really have to move back to Ottawa :(

(Seriously, I really have want to. I miss you guys. And fun. That's another big thing I miss)

EDIT: I fail at reading. So I will correct it with: No Blanka MAIN on the PR. >_>
We miss you too!

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Agreed, I think we all miss ya over here, Mike. And yeah, I've always thought that sure you can get good and competitive at Smash or SF, or Soul Calibur, or whatever else, but if it's not fun at all then there's no point. I mean, they're designed to be fun just as much as they are competitive (more in some cases), and with me I've always thought that as long as I was having fun while I was getting better, it was win win. Or something like that, since I've just gone to rambling now. :laugh:

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman

We all have our limits on how much we can take. For ex: Harold when he plays Lucas he can really be annoying. Remember the last time you guys played? Or what about that time when Derek and Randy were joking around and upset Cam? What happens outside of the game still very much affects performance inside the game.

That said, "the quickest way to the top is up the cliff, not the slope".

IvanEva

Smash Ace
'K, 'k, SO, SFIV-fest at my place next Sunday. Who's interested and able to come?

Also, Ariel, 1) reading that Bush thing again made me laugh quite a bit again and 2) nice cliff/slope quote (even though it has nothing to do with elitism).

On topic: PK FIRE!

buenob

Smash Lord
lol well, i don't ever see the srk guys so you know how i actually feel about what they do :)

but i just wanted to point out they're not really "bad" people, they just enjoy themselves in a different way... also, the ottawa srk crew is actually quite formidable, and is known for doing very well at tournaments... maybe it's a bit of the mentality that sets them apart, and lets them get ahead in the game... I don't agree with them usually, but there's a time and a place for everything, and sometimes being called a n00b for punishing with a jab to the back of the face can make the difference...

i remember when I used to punish with throws as ken, cancelled into shippu (2nd impact)... i thought it was awesome, and I was having fun... then they started getting on my case, so I just beat a couple still doing it... then I faced ehsan, and he was beating me... he was playing urien and crushed at me, I parried, threw, super-cancel and he lived, and then he killed me in the next attack (baited my no-action on wake-up)... if I had done a real combo, I could have won...

when you're playing for fun, play for fun... when you're playing to win, play to win... it's not necessarily mutually exclusive, but usually they aren't the same...

Top Bottom