• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

buenob

Smash Lord
man that was a great time...
for me, my bracket experience was this...

firstly, i had to play swordguard, who has been practicing his IC's tech-skill like mad, is a nice guy, and I'd have to say will be giving lain a run for his money as a "best" IC's soon... currently, when I get thrown, I don't 100% die, but he has some crazy desynchs, and actually has some good zoning and pressure play... He ended coming in 4th overall, and I had him first round :(... I took him to game 3 and suicided on my first stock having a 100% advantage over him, I could have had him...

so now I'm in losers, and I have to play a pretty good bowser, but unfortunately for him we were playing a bunch at joels thursday, so I knew his tricks (IE. fortress out of shield) so was able to handle him quite easily

next was elef, who went yoshi, and was only in the losers side because AvariceX went D3 and out-camped him, winning 2-1 by 2 time outs... anyways, his yoshi is a beast, but because i have excellent yoshi practice, I was able to gimp his 2nd jump, mostly because he wasn't used to playing people who knew how to do it... 2nd game he went snake, and well, his snake is great, but it's a bad matchup to start with and I have a lot of experience with it, so I ended up winning again... we had a fun time, and I tried out his custom controller (he took the springs out of the shoulder buttons) and I'm going to be doing that too

next was steb! he came in tied 5th at OBscene, again put into losers by a good player Lunsford (dk player, epic mindgames//pressure play with him)... anyways, he went lucas on me 2 rounds in a row and 2 rounds in a row I had to make an epic comeback last stock to take the set 2-0... he is the anti-harold... constantly pressuring with safe moves, and staying _just_ out of range (instead of at max pkfire range), and when he thunder-ledged, he did this weird thing where he aimed at me from my blindspot, ie. where Fair couldn't cancel it out, so it was really, really hard to dodge... great guy, great times :)

and after making it through some seriously hard matchups, I breathe a sigh of relief... only to find my next opponent Ally...

@#$^ that...

he 2-0'd me, but both matches weren't blowouts... he has gotten _way_ better since the last time we played seriously (at OBscene we played, but I don't think he was _trying_ to win that hard)... his mind-games are less apparent as mind-games, and more he knows exactly wtf you're about to do, since he's limiting your options... you know how in anime's people get all crazy intimidated by someone doing absolutely nothing? it was like that...

anyways, I ended up tied for 9th, which in the end wasn't that bad, i lost to the people who came 1st and 4th, and I definitely think given a different bracket placing I could have placed higher, though not much... I would not have been able to come top3 in this tourney with all the talent there...

i came in 100% last in low-tiers... i was the only person not to get a bye, and i lost 2 sets in a row lolz... link ftw! (and I almost won with jiggs!)

doubles was epic, joel and I teamed and we ended up coming in 4th... we beat vwins/damax, and we almost beat Lford/Mford another brother team, DK/Kirby and mario/luigi, and we also almost beat zaf/chet, taking both losses to game 3, everyone at killing percents... joel is a fantastic teams partner

anyways... i'm gonna go get drunk since I have tomorrow off and I got an un-expected ride back to the city 'cause you all bailed :p

ps. i 2 stocked his CF with ZSS

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Ah! Right! That's who I played in first round! I 2-0'd the guy. He took me to Japes and I just lolcamped him.

They were all "WATCH OUT FOR THE KLAPTRAP, JIGGS!" and I did a brutal bAir spike and said "I think that's close enough."

Suo

Smash Apprentice
congrats to all who went to the tourney, sounds like you did great Ben, you'll be beating Ally soon enough!

Our random jog/SFIV was too fun today Harold, we gotta start up a community.

Randy, wanna play some B-ball tommorrow?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I was watching SFIV today. It was so gaaaayyy XDDD

M. Bison VS Zangief. M. Bison's only approach is a High Kick. And. Zangief can't beat it. I was watching a match consisting entirely of M. Bison HK until Zangief capitalized a mistake and did some uber damaging 25% health move/combo and end it in a Super, lawl.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Gotta say, the tourney sounds completely epic so congrats majorly to everyone who did well. Oh, and good job to all of you guys who went for representing.

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
I thought anything but cosmetic changes to controllers were banned, so you couldnt play with non spring controllers. Although does anyone even check that stuff?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I don't see why to ban it :/ You can get the same effect by setting your extra jump button to Shield, but with extra muscle memory comfort.

I've always wondered how this affects Melee.

buenob

Smash Lord
yeah i was thinking that too, but if you're johnsing about someones springs being missing, you wouldn't have won in the first place...

I won't wall of text again, but the three main things I learned from this weekend is 1) I'm really good at reading my opponent, regardless of having played them before 2) My DI is complete garbage 3) I am absolutely terrible at blocking / power-shielding

i think that I conquered 2 on friday and saturday, and I think that playing a semi-modified controller will help me learn 3, and then I would return it to a normal state once I understand how the whole thing works...

ps. you're checking the boards again?

edit - due to light shielding, it would make melee unplayable... i learned this from cam/derek on the ride back home :)

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like it was a really great time. I only hoped that I had a better natural ability to play Brawl so that tournaments weren't wastes of money. Right now I don't have the time to get overly better and that's where the natural ability would be useful.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
You'll get the hang of it. jsut practice one thing a day like 20 mins, break, 20 more, break and a final 20 mins.

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
The ban (I would assume) is that its an outside of the game change. Being able to map buttons is part of the game, removing parts/modifying the controller is not. Also I suppose it would be possible to 'john' about losing to someone without springs since it would give one player an advantage of sorts. Such as being able to powershield more effectively.

I personally dont care, im just playing devils advocate, unless its really game changing.

I check smashboards everynow and then. Dont post much though.

Fogel

Smash Lord
The most important thing that happened at FFYF2: Derek and I went dual Ike in teams, and 6 stocked some team in the first game. Dual Ike is really fun! Apparently we only got 13th, but I don't know how that works because we made it to at least the 4th round in losers...

Also, in true 6th worst/4th worst in Ottawa style, I was the only one from Ottawa that failed to make it out of pools :( Alan and I were in the same pool, which was stupid because there were only 4 Ottawa Brawlers there total (Phil doesn't play Brawl), and 8 Brawl pools. Seeding fail. I was sad because I actually practiced a lot for Brawl, and it's never fun when practice doesn't pay off.

However, I somehow made it out of Melee pools, despite not practicing and never really playing it much at smashfests, so at least I got somewhere there I guess. Phil and I also did pretty well in teams against Damax and Vwins (the second place team); we lost 0-2 but got them to their last stocks both games!

All in all, fun times, though I am disappointed that I keep failing at Brawl despite my best efforts.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Yeah D: I feel really bad. The past two tourneys it's been me that's been keeping you out of brackets :/
Although, to justify, I was actually fighting for 3rd in pools. The last match: Pit VS D3 @ Delfino decided 3rd and 4th.

EDIT: XD Epic find, Ariel.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Did you go DK?

(Also, for anyone who plays sf4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY1wLjgopNk&feature=related )
Every singles match, I was either Falco or DK, except for one time where I used ROB (and failed). DK did really well and I will definitely keep using him!

Yeah D: I feel really bad. The past two tourneys it's been me that's been keeping you out of brackets :/
Although, to justify, I was actually fighting for 3rd in pools. The last match: Pit VS D3 @ Delfino decided 3rd and 4th.

EDIT: XD Epic find, Ariel.
First, never apologize for winning! It's a competitive game so beating your friends/citymates is going to happen eventually. Anyways, I wouldn't say it was you that 'kept me out'; I definitely had other chances to get a win. My matches against Joel were all close (had him on his last stock at >100% both games so I had a decent chanve there).

I had a shot against AvariceX as well, but first game I was stubborn and let him go Snake vs. my Falco just to see how the matchup played out. It went very poorly; he survived to ridiculous percents on all his stocks and, being Falco, I did not. I counterpicked YI next, went DK and 2 stocked his Snake. In hindsight, I should have used DK from the start, because DK vs. Snake is a decent matchup whereas Falco vs. Snake is terrible. He did have a Dedede for game 3 which I need to learn how to deal with...it felt kind of like game 1 where he survived for way too long.

Even against chesterr01, who got 3rd in singles, I was able to get him to his last stock, though he was at low %s. And yeah, there was forfeit guy but he just forfeited so w/e. Anyways, you beat me pretty straight-up; if there were games I should have won it was against those first two rather than against you.

PND

Smash Champion
At high school grad trip, and Dave can attest to this as he was present, our mutual friend, Jacob, who to put it bluntly is, well, the Barney to our Ted and Marshall, as it were, (I so hope somebody gets that reference, and in retrospect, this wasn't putting it blunt at all) decided to order the triple quarter pounder. Yeah, they had a TRIPLE quarter pounder, 3/4's of a pound. Who knew?

Now, foolishly, they also had a sign that said "double your meat for $0.99." Not "add an extra patty" as I'm fairly certain the sign says now, but double your meat. Jacob is not one to back down from a challenge, much to most of my crew's entertainment, and occasionally, regret. Now, much akin to the link above, the minimum wage grunt working the cash register was quick to protest. It was all "We can't do it because it destroys our profit margins" this, and "I'm pretty sure this will kill you" that. After an arduous battle with management that ended up involving me and my grasp of the law (story for another day, folks) we "convinced" management that it would be in their best interest to serve him the burger less their advertising be accused of falsifications. (I hear that's pretty serious, lawl). For spite he also added bacon and cheese, essentially the sole purpose of that was just to assure that this behemoth of cow carcass would truly reign as the king of burgers in the inevitable case of Mad Max anarchical society. . . Based on burgers. Okay, it's not a perfect metaphor, but that burger was *****in'. It truly deserved the title of "Burger King." All it needed was a crown, a cape, and a defibrillator.

So, burger recap time: For those who aren't math inclined, that's 6 patties at a quarter pound each. Not only is it 6 patties, it's a pound and a half of grease soaked beef and bacon combo meal. The comedy of the situation? We were going to Wonderland and were only a few hours away. By the time we had reached Wonderland the bun had evaporated. That's right. The bun. Evaporated. It became so logged in grease it just disappeared. The toppings were also gone. He didn't eat them specifically, or anything, they disappeared unto the void. At this point we began wondering if the burger was sentient, and consuming whatever it could find, be it the bun, toppings, or Jacob's stomach lining and dignity. The grease had also started hardening into a vaguely crystal-like form. Although I'm sure it could fetch a handsome price on the open market, being almost assuredly the world's first burger diamond, he pushed on like a champ.

Long story short, he finished that burger like a man. And then, also like a man, he threw up violently for a considerable period of time and couldn't ride any rides for the duration of our trip. But I think we hit on some chicks at the Water park so it was a sweet trip.

Moral: Killing yourself via mass ingestion gets chicks.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I remember when you first told me that story, dude. That was like, something that made me regret not trying to go to that grad trip (I had uh...'other plans' for that time period) since it sounded like the most hilariously awesome thing ever. I don't doubt he puked like a madman, since sometimes even a normal quarter pounder from McDonald's will make me up chuck (seriously, I like, just get 2 cheeseburgers because they're 80% bun an that way I get as little nastiness as possible). I sense some odd "add a patty for every stock you lose" challenge match. :ohwell:

joblin

Smash Apprentice
I don't doubt the amazingness of the 'burger king' but have to burst your pound and a half grease bubble. The patties are only a quarter of a pound before cooked and lose a lot of poundage when compressed between the grill and a greasy teenager's spatula. So yes it was quite the beast of a burger but no it wasn't really a pound and a half. Maybe it was with all of the evaporated buns and toppings. We'll never know seeing how the void consumed it.

Talking about burger stories. After Cam's one day, a couple of us went to the McDonalds drive thru to get a couple heart attacks - I mean burgers. We drove up to the speaker, and Randy orders 12 Junior Chickens and 15 Double Cheese Burgers, then apologizes. The kid on the other end was baffled and asked if Randy was serious. "Of course we're ****ing serious!" Is what Randy should have said. When we got to the pay window he looked into the car to see Randy in the front and me in the back seat and basically told us that we were going to die. Long story short, Randy thought the girl in the next window was hot but did nothing, we got three huge bags of grease, went back to my place and had burger wrappers as a carpet. Next morning my mouth was as dry as the desert and I'm sure the McDonald's workers had quite the story to tell their friends.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
At high school grad trip, and Dave can attest to this as he was present, our mutual friend, Jacob, who to put it bluntly is, well, the Barney to our Ted and Marshall, as it were, (I so hope somebody gets that reference, and in retrospect, this wasn't putting it blunt at all) decided to order the triple quarter pounder. Yeah, they had a TRIPLE quarter pounder, 3/4's of a pound. Who knew?

Now, foolishly, they also had a sign that said "double your meat for $0.99." Not "add an extra patty" as I'm fairly certain the sign says now, but double your meat. Jacob is not one to back down from a challenge, much to most of my crew's entertainment, and occasionally, regret. Now, much akin to the link above, the minimum wage grunt working the cash register was quick to protest. It was all "We can't do it because it destroys our profit margins" this, and "I'm pretty sure this will kill you" that. After an arduous battle with management that ended up involving me and my grasp of the law (story for another day, folks) we "convinced" management that it would be in their best interest to serve him the burger less their advertising be accused of falsifications. (I hear that's pretty serious, lawl). For spite he also added bacon and cheese, essentially the sole purpose of that was just to assure that this behemoth of cow carcass would truly reign as the king of burgers in the inevitable case of Mad Max anarchical society. . . Based on burgers. Okay, it's not a perfect metaphor, but that burger was *****in'. It truly deserved the title of "Burger King." All it needed was a crown, a cape, and a defibrillator.

So, burger recap time: For those who aren't math inclined, that's 6 patties at a quarter pound each. Not only is it 6 patties, it's a pound and a half of grease soaked beef and bacon combo meal. The comedy of the situation? We were going to Wonderland and were only a few hours away. By the time we had reached Wonderland the bun had evaporated. That's right. The bun. Evaporated. It became so logged in grease it just disappeared. The toppings were also gone. He didn't eat them specifically, or anything, they disappeared unto the void. At this point we began wondering if the burger was sentient, and consuming whatever it could find, be it the bun, toppings, or Jacob's stomach lining and dignity. The grease had also started hardening into a vaguely crystal-like form. Although I'm sure it could fetch a handsome price on the open market, being almost assuredly the world's first burger diamond, he pushed on like a champ.

Long story short, he finished that burger like a man. And then, also like a man, he threw up violently for a considerable period of time and couldn't ride any rides for the duration of our trip. But I think we hit on some chicks at the Water park so it was a sweet trip.

Moral: Killing yourself via mass ingestion gets chicks.
Should have gone for 7 pizza's, a bottle of pop, and a box of cinnabuns

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Okay guys, I went to see the neurologist today and went over the whole discussion about when I could expect to get my license back at. He told me that the worst cast scenario (assuming I don't have another seizure) was that I wouldn't have it for 6 months from when the seizure happened (which would be August 24th). However, he said since I hadn't had one for so long beforehand, and it seemed to be an isolated incident that he was thinking it would probably be 3 months (which he said he'd probably recommend to them since apparently it's typically between 3 to 6 months). In other words, the most likely case to happen (if I don't have another seizure, since if I do, that's a 12 month license suspension) is that I'll have my license back at around May 24th. It sucks to me, I know, but I figure I can either sit here and get upset that I can't drive until then, or I can practice my arse off so that I'm good to go for when I see you guys again. Who knows, the odd thing may come up where I can show up before then, but as far as showing up on a regular, non one-off basis type....thing, it looks like I'll be away until then. Just thought I'd let you guys know what was going on.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, he didn't know for sure, so he's setting things up for me to go and have an MRI done to see if they can find any irregularities or anything like that. So, while I don't know why I've had seizures from like the pc at normal proximity while others don't, at least they're wanting to make sure that my recently upped meds will have things under control and that it's not something more serious. Mind you, not saying seizures are a minor deal, I'm just saying that well, there's a lot worse things that could happen to someone, so....I'm simply trying to look ahead and be optimistic.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
If you don't get a good explanation from the doctors soon you can always just resort to Ganon-Stomping them till you get better and quicker results. Joking aside, best of luck.

Top Bottom