• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

Fogel

Smash Lord
Wait when are we starting? It's a 5 minute bus ride. I can take 95/96/97/98 to go straight there.
FYI, none of those buses go straight to Carleton. You'll need to transfer on something. Back when I went there, you needed to take the 4 or the 117 (or get on the O-Train line at Bayview), but my info might be out of date.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Campus bus station is Ottawa U, the 90's only take you to Bayveiw, in which you can then take the O-Train to Carleton.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Oh wow. Google is a dumb**** v.v

Why is Google saying Carleton University is at Campus? :/ (Apparently there's an O-Train from there that goes to...Carleton North?)

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone! I might be showing up to the game dev lab tonight, depending on whether or not I go to a party :p

If I show up, would anyone be interested in... D to the OTA?!?!

Matt07

Smash Master
Hey everyone! I might be showing up to the game dev lab tonight, depending on whether or not I go to a party :p

If I show up, would anyone be interested in... D to the OTA?!?!
Ya, I'd be down for Dota, game looks pretty legit.

P.S. What does the O-Train cost?
Noo clue Alan, sorry :(.

Also, I'll be leaving around 6, should arrive near 7 for sure.

PND

Smash Champion
O-train costs 2.75 I think (unless they hiked the price while I was gone) Also, it's pretty much honour system. There's rarely anyone who checks tickets.

From Campus (U of O) to Campus (Carleton) the easiest way (not necessarily fastest) is to take any 90 series bus to Hurdman, then hop on the 4. Alternatively, you can take the 95 the other direction to the first O Train stop -- I'm blanking on the name (Which is hilarious because that's the stop that I used to use everyday getting to and from work) and take the O train to Carleton

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Haha, Mike, you crazy.

The 4 is actually the slowest way to get to Campus from Hurdman. The 90 series goes right there in 2 stops.

(The regular bus costs $3 now, I think. Does O-Train accept transfers?)

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Awesomes. I will be going with Matt (and possibly getting lost!) We are planning which stop to meet at now before getting on the O-Train.

RAEEEEEEEEG

I don't need to take the O-Train. Campus station is 5-minute busride away. There is a Herzberg Laboratory there. If that is not "the right one", I will be officially stumped.

...okay. I was a little off.

It's not the right Campus Station.

Why must you do this, OC Transpo?

TL;DR I know where to go now.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Ariel here. OK you guys. OK. ****ing,

man(bear pig)

We did a round robin. Imagine some epic music as you go through the results. Possibly this music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-FAV9fBII

---------CvO------Jigg-------Ars------M7-----LS

CvO-----N/A------3-2-------3-2------3-0----2-3

Jigg-----2-3------N/A-------3-1------1-3----1-3

Ars------2-3------1-3-------N/A------3-2----0-3

M7------0-3------3-1-------2-3------N/A----3-2

LS-------3-2------3-1-------3-0------2-3----N/A

Total win/Loss
-Ariel 11/5
-Andrew 7/10
-Randy 6/11
-Matt 8/6
-Alan 11/4

1: Alan
2: Ariel
3: Matt
4: Andrew
5: Randy

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
I was tired and felt like playing megaman and the dry-erase board was kinda faded. I was even having some trouble in megaman too. That's how tired I was. You saw it. ****ing Plug man. Anyways, the results are still the same.

1: Alan
2: Ariel
3: Matt
4: Andrew
5: Randy

More importantly, is there a biweekly next week or not?

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
@Alan- I was just warming up in Splashwoman's stage. You can give it a shot next week if you want, it's not as easy as it looks.

EDIT: An Ottawa Melee biweekly thread? I doubt it'd 'divide' Ottawa. It's not like it's MELEE OR BRAWL PICK ONE.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Nah this wont divide ottawa. CHAOSVSORDER is quite right . Ill still go to Cam's smashfests on fridays.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
What?! I'd still prefer an offweekly. Perhaps another round robin in case of low turnout? It won't take long and the seriousness is at a point where the matches still have something on the line yet are still relaxed.

@Tyler- I can totally make up my spells. Besides, it worked didn't it? That means it's legit.

@Charles- My actual name is Ariel btw. I'm the guy who has gone dedede and CG'd all that one time in case you don't know my name/who I am. I usually say GG before you leave even though I never play you or Melee.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Oh yeah i remember you, next time i go to cam's smashfest we should do a 5$MM my metaknight vs your falcon

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Jeez, the hell people, lol. Mike comes down on the weekend and he's not going to be able to go to the Offweekly that might be a fest? Well uh...this be confusing. :confused:

PND

Smash Champion
I'll probably be up for anything Saturday / Sunday, but for sure I gotta get an old fashioned pub night in with the boys.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Hey guys,

Similar to when I tried Swiss tournaments out a while ago, I've got another crazy idea to subject you all to - Smash Leagues! This idea is pretty much taken directly from the league the Canadian Go Association (CGA) is running right now. I thought it might be a good idea to adapt something similar for our community. The idea of this league would be to group players by skill into "houses".

Within each house, there would be a round robin, with best of 3 sets following tournament rules. Once the round robin is complete, results would be tallied, and the winner of a house could move up to the next house. Consequently, the loser would move down a house. Games are played at any time, within a certain limit. For example, if the current season is a month long, you could play your matches with the other people in your house any time during the next month. That means matches could be played at biweeklies, smashfests, or even other gatherings at some other location, if both players agree to it.

What is the prize? If someone wins in the top house, they would become the league champion! What does this get you? Prestige! Honour! Maybe even a higher power ranking!

...Actually, this is something we would need to decide on. The CGA has a league Champion for the season, and in the next season, the winner of the top house (the Challenger) goes on to play the Champion in the next season in a best of 3 (or 5...not sure) to become the next Champion. In other words, the Champion plus Challenger are basically in their own house, sort of like an extended Grand Finals that lasts a whole season. However, we could have it so the winner of the top pool just wins the "title", then next season they go back to playing normally in the top house. Money could also be involved if people wanted, but I think with Biweeklies already it would be best to keep this free of charge.

As for how we would set this up, we would need to figure some things out. The CGA has houses of 5-6 players, but since our scene is smaller, I think a maximum of 4 or 5 would be best to make sure we have at least 2 or 3 houses. If people are up for this, I think we could maybe even get this started for Friday, and have the season last for a month/month-and-a-half or so.

Why bother with leagues?

• To have competitive matches outside of biweeklies
  • To give "lower tier" players something to aim for (can try for first in their house)
  • More practice for everyone for tournament matches
  • Match times are flexible; they could be at a biweekly, smashfest, or even random weekday/weekend gatherings

The gist of it / tl;dr:

- Group players by skill into houses
- Everyone plays everyone else in their house
- The overall winner of a round moves up a house, the overall loser of a house moves down
- The winner of the first house is champion for the season!

Is anyone interested in this? It might be too soon to try and have this going for this Friday, as the rules would need to be hammered out, but I'm curious if people think this would be worth pursuing. We could even run two leagues; one for Brawl and another for Melee!

What?! I'd still prefer an offweekly. Perhaps another round robin in case of low turnout? It won't take long and the seriousness is at a point where the matches still have something on the line yet are still relaxed.
Right, right, of course. Just uh...someone post here whatever the heck be going on, I s'pose.
If we have more than 8 people, we can do a biweekly. Otherwise, we can do a round robin like you guys did last week. Or, do league games!

Top Bottom