• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

Fogel

Smash Lord
I hope you kids are ready for me because I'll be coming into this bi-weekly armed with ancient Chinese wisdom!

Cam: despite my whining that Flow isn't that great, it's actually won me over quite a bit now. The author, while distinctly saying that nothing in the book is about anything mystical or paranormal, has a tendency of using vague language that certainly makes it seem like he's talking out of his ***. However, when he gets down to the nitty-gritty he really shows that he knows what he's talking about. I'll try to finish it up soon enough so that I can lend it to you.

On the flow note, quick survey: When was the last time any of you felt true Flow? For me it was when I played at Only in Niagara 2 against Retlaf and Pastaboy. Time slowed down (and yet went by so quickly :(), there was nothing in the world other than the game, I wasn't playing as Lucas - I WAS Lucas, and I felt absolutely great. And I lost, but we'll ignore that part. :p

On the other hand, I can concretely say that I WASN'T in a state of flow during my two $15 money matches against Dan at my SFIV-fest. I was counting on everything falling into place and going into flow-mode against him but instead I couldn't even pull off my super basic two-hit combos consistently. Stupid flow-inhibiting fear auras...
To be honest, I don't think I've ever been in 'flow' while playing a fighting game. I've never felt time slow down. Also, from the author's description, you don't really think about what you're doing while in flow, you just do it. I'm always thinking during all of my matches, so I don't think it's possible for me to be in 'flow' because it's inconsistent with thinking about what you/your opponent are doing.

I also don't have crazy Dan-style dreams about new fighting game setups and combos :( No flow, no dreams...I guess this contributes to my 6th-worst-in-Ottawa status.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Oh, I tend to get into "The Zone" when playing fighting games all the time. It's pretty common for me actually. Though I remember noticing it most when I play KI Gold and a Soul Calibur game, although I'm positive it happens when I play Street Fighters and Brawl.

Edit: Also, since OBScene I've started taking up Toon Link a good bit (bombing is fun, lol), so uh...does anybody play him enough to offer any basic/not so basic tips on using him?

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
The zone(sounds better than 'flow') is the fight or flight response, as I understand it. I don't think I've gotten it much during games. The only time I experience it is during a fight(obviously), and the last time I visited the zone was last week in a sparring match with a friend.

In order to make this post not a complete waste of space, here is the tl;dr version of Flow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjlpamhrId8

Very interesting, I recommend everyone to watch it all. What I learned from it what that weed slows down time >_>

buenob

Smash Lord
the zone and flow are two completely separate things to me... being "in the zone" is when I think about every action I take, and always seem to be able to react quick enough to stifle what my opponent is doing...

then there's flow where I just kind of know what my opponent is about to do...

zone == tech skill, flow == yomi lolz

joblin

Smash Apprentice
For me "the zone" is something that I am not aware of. Time seems to pass much slower than normal and what seems like a 10 minute game is sometimes much longer in reality. When you don't have to think of your moves or button presses, to me, isn't tech skill but sense of being or lack there of. A skill is needs to be built up over time and just because you can do it on command without thinking about it doesn't mean you're in the zone or flow. Zoning is not thinking but doing. Once you're thinking, you have a sense of everything else.

Zone == not thinking & executing well, Flow == thinking & executing well

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
See, Weed does indeed impede on your game play ability, however, in certain cases, it can act as an enhancer because when high you tend to focus on things a lot more (at least I do anyways, granted it often leads to "zoning out"). Some cases I play amazingly when high, it all depends. Coke is simply not the answer... it will just make you jittery and hyper, and not want to stand still. Mind games, maybe... but def not gonna make you better :D :p

Fogel

Smash Lord
The zone(sounds better than 'flow') is the fight or flight response, as I understand it. I don't think I've gotten it much during games. The only time I experience it is during a fight(obviously), and the last time I visited the zone was last week in a sparring match with a friend.

In order to make this post not a complete waste of space, here is the tl;dr version of Flow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjlpamhrId8

Very interesting, I recommend everyone to watch it all. What I learned from it what that weed slows down time >_>
Interesting video. Here's what I learned (for those who are too lazy to watch it all):

- Being hyped up on adrenaline can let you perceive time more slowly
- Cocaine makes time seem to pass more slowly, weed more quickly
- Only the rat that wasn't on any drugs got the correct timing to get food :p

Video games take good timing, so maybe it's best to play without being under the influence of anything.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
The zone is when you have adrenaline rushing through you, it seems. Now this is purely speculative, but when you play a game very intensely and you get really into it, you start projecting yourself into your character. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I do it and I know that Alan does it as well. In your mind, your opponent becomes a threat to 'you'.
A perceived increase in threat activates the fight or flight stress response which then leads to increased blood flow and the release of a bunch of hormones such as adrenaline. The effects of adrenaline are well known I assume; increased oxygen intake in the brain, lungs and muscles, increased size in pupils while pretty much the rest of the body's activities are suppressed. The increased blood flow to get oxygen to all these places quickly leads to increased body temperature which leads to... well, sweating.
Though, too many stress hormones damages your organs or something so it is not recommended to activate the rush often(not that you can activate it by thinking about it >_>)

tl;dr FEEL THE RUSH BABY!

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Cool video. I got butterflies when he was first about to fall. How the hell could he have been concentrating enough to even look at his arm? I didn't watch the second part yet though.

Second, I'll probably be too late to participate in this bi-weekly. Right before I was about to leave I decided to help myself to one Cyndi Lauper song (my favorite singer - go 80's music!). Turns out that I can listen to the same Cyndi Lauper songs hundreds of times and still get lost in them. Anyhow, so, yeah, I'll be pretty late.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Dope is a stimulant and stimulates your neurotransmitters opening up new paths to think upon. It has nothing to do with time :p

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
All this talk about drugs and crap influencing your gaming makes me laugh and smile since I'm clean, lol. And yeah, sometimes I'll feel like who I'm against is a "threat" of sorts too, which is sometimes why I move my head in odd ways if I get mega-smashed or lose a stock sometimes. And well, partly why I can sometimes get agitated. :bee:

Fogel

Smash Lord
Here's what I learned:

Fogel is no fun... jk
Blah :p From what they've said, and given that video games take good timing, you would probably play worse on any 'time-altering' drugs than you would clean. If you want to play me in a tourney drunk/high/etc, go right ahead, because if I'm right you're only hurting your chances :)

The zone is when you have adrenaline rushing through you, it seems. Now this is purely speculative, but when you play a game very intensely and you get really into it, you start projecting yourself into your character. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I do it and I know that Alan does it as well. In your mind, your opponent becomes a threat to 'you'.
A perceived increase in threat activates the fight or flight stress response which then leads to increased blood flow and the release of a bunch of hormones such as adrenaline. The effects of adrenaline are well known I assume; increased oxygen intake in the brain, lungs and muscles, increased size in pupils while pretty much the rest of the body's activities are suppressed. The increased blood flow to get oxygen to all these places quickly leads to increased body temperature which leads to... well, sweating.
Though, too many stress hormones damages your organs or something so it is not recommended to activate the rush often(not that you can activate it by thinking about it >_>)

tl;dr FEEL THE RUSH BABY!
The problem with this is you play by instinct...usually this means falling into patterns. If your opponent is watching for patterns, you will be punished for doing this. I used to play by instinct in close matches/tough situations when I first started competitive Melee; it made me lose a lot. The advantage humans have over other animals is our brains; our ability to think even in a tight spot. Might as well use our advantage :)

joblin

Smash Apprentice
The advantage humans have over other animals is our brains; our ability to think even in a tight spot. Might as well use our advantage :)
I thought it was our super awesome opposable thumbs! I also think that we as human kind do well at adapting (to a certain extent of course) and therefore, kind of nullifies the whole advantage thing unless you're fighting against a insert random animal here. Human dittos!

arsenic41

Smash Ace
to recap what happened friday:

1.Epic Lulz
2.Epic Bowser Lulz
3.Epic crew match lulz
4.Burgers

Suo

Smash Apprentice
I had an interesting experience a few days ago.

My mom and sister were fighting upstairs, and I was waiting by the door to our home, which was ajar. Two drunken people, 1 male 1 female, came running up to the door shouting and screaming, saying 'WTF is going on, why are people yelling etc.'

These people clearly had the intention of entering my house.

In that instant, time slowed down. I felt the adrenaline rush, I felt the muscles in my body tighten up. I felt the fear mixed with euphoria, I was both scared and elated at the same time.

I was still concious of what I was doing, but there was a strong surge of intent, whatever I was going to do, it was going to happen NOW. Time didn't actually physically slow down, it was more like time became 'clear'.

I then said 'This is my mothers house, I appreciate your concern but this has nothing to do with you.'
They both looked a little shocked, and then the male appologized and they both walked away.

It was really cool, I hadn't felt something like that in a long time, probably not since I had played competitive sports. I definitely had a fight or flight moment, and it was intense.

I'm never felt quite such a powerful response in a game, probably because I don't equate myself as the character. (I'll have to try that.) However, I definitely have had moments where my reaction time and senses are seriously powered up.

As much as I make fun of Sirlin cuz he can be a huge baby/dork, I actually believe in flow and this type of thing.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
I had an interesting experience a few days ago.

*stuff where james almost went super saiyin*

As much as I make fun of Sirlin cuz he can be a huge baby/dork, I actually believe in flow and this type of thing.
Whether you believe in stress response or not, it's there. As for how to activate the rush during gameplay, I just posed my own theory, but I have no idea how top players actually make it happen.

Conerning the rush, it feels really really good, but you never want to feel it because if you do feel it, you're in a situation you don't want to be in. Mixed bag. Anyhow, I'm glad that you and your family are alright =)

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Whether you believe in stress response or not, it's there. As for how to activate the rush during gameplay, I just posed my own theory, but I have no idea how top players actually make it happen.
You have to tap into your focus... to get some HUGE air! Or do it like most people; clench your fists, bring them to your sides and look slightly downwards. Now strike a look of constipation on your face and slightly squat down. Concentrate real hard until bands of light start to form around you. Repeat for 3 episodes. You'll eventually break your supposed potential into a 'whol notha leval'. Warning: Your hair might turn blond.

buenob

Smash Lord
i'll be there again this friday... WOW i know eh? 2 weeks in a row... what must happen
1) another crew match, i demand a rematch randy!
2) another game of go with cam :) too good
3) epic lolz... but that's a given

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I have still yet to get James's permission, but I'm contemplating bringing SF4 to the smashfest. We can use Cam's PS3 and I can bring Sf4 and an arcade stick (just for you Ben).

But I have yet to ask James. And is this alright with you Cam?

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Street Fighter IV has no place at Smashfest and vise versa. Face it people, it's not the wonderful game you all want it to be. There's something wrong with a game when the 4th Street Fighter is not even close to being the 4th in the franchise... That's enough of my hatred.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
But.....Final Fantasy III was the 6th in the franchise. Soul Calibur III was actually the 4th in the franchise, and wasn't Tekken 4 actually the 5th? Just saying man, I don't think there's a rule saying Street Fighter IV has to be called exactly what SF number it is. Also, I'm pretty sure RE5 and MGS4 aren't the 5th or 4th games in the franchise respectively.

buenob

Smash Lord
yeah, can't forget soul edge... and it actually is the 3rd complete installment... 2 and all the subsequent games had the same base mechanics... the alpha series has it's own mechanics... 3 had parrying -> same as the rest, all titles labeled "3:xxx" had the same mechanics...

so this is just street fighter: ruleset 4 lol

anyways, i don't really need a stick anymore... i mean, i'll be better with one, but i'm fairly competent on a regular controller now...

also, i don't really care if sf4 comes or not, either way, i'm blaying bockus, go, and being part of an epic crew match

Top Bottom