• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Singles only starts first if we go with the Swiss style, but I think the upcoming bi-weekly will be standard double elimination, meaning Doubles will start first.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
For Afro's(sorry, I don't know how to spell your real name) sake, I think singles should start first. He is a very powerful player and if he cannot make it to singles then I think we would be missing out on some spectacular matches. Randy/Cam, if there is a biweekly this week, could we have singles before doubles?

buenob

Smash Lord
i'm sad i won't be here... going to Niagara anyways, that is if there is still a car going down... if not, I'll be attending the bi-weekly (if there's a spot)

looking forward to some awesome matches for sure either way

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity, who is intrested in doing a crew elimination for this bi-weekly? we could cancel one of the other events inorder to do this.

Who be intrested.

P.S registrations start tomorrow 8:00am

arsenic41

Smash Ace
crews are kinda on the spot. Just find 2 people and pwn it up. With certain rules of course.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Sign me up! It'll be nice to see everyone I didn't see last week :)

I'd be interested in the crew thing, btw.

Fogel

Smash Lord
OiN Pi is now cancelled for sure, Niko confirmed in the thread.

Needs more votes for Swiss vs. Double Elim, so far only Alan has put in his 2 cents worth. If we do Swiss, we can do more than 4 rounds this time.

I'm ok with either crews or doubles.

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
If singles is done first then I might be able to enter. Might not have time for doubles/crews though.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I'd give my thoughts on the Swiss vs Double Elim from how it sounds concept wise but....wouldn't really be fair to do that without seeing the Swiss method in action.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
hey pal! how's the tourney scene going?
Oh, hey, how's it going? Haven't seen you in a while. It's going pretty good. I've got some decent placings in these bi-weeklies. Nothing too big, but still. How about you?

I wouldn't mind trying out the swiss style, Cam. It would ensure that everyone gets to play the same amount of times, giving the less experienced players more experience, and it would ensure that players will be pitted against others of their own skill level (in theory, anyways). Since we are changing the order of things for this week and possibly doing crew matches instead of doubles, it seems to be a week of trying new things. I say we try this too.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I'd like to get 3 other people to confirm that they will be bringing a Wii. infzy may want his TV back at some point soon, so we might need another TV as well.

As for the tournament format, here are the votes so far:

Swiss - 2 Double Elim - 1

We need more!

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I would want a swiss bi-weekly, just because things get done faster and more efficiently. Also, if singles ends fast, we stil lhave plenty of time to do a double elmination tourney or whatever afterwards.

However, we should have a double elimination bi-weekly after this one.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I'd prefer Swiss as I feel that that one time just wasn't enough research for me to make up my mind on which I prefer. Also, I'll be there on Friday (unless Orlando would prefer to play RE5 on Friday...).

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
Nah RE5 on sat is better for me, hopefully one day is good enough or we could cut out early. As far as voting, It doesnt really matter to me but Ill go with swiss as well. Would it be possible to use the/some results of the last swiss bi-weekly so the first round isnt so random? With seeding how does the first round of swiss work anyway?

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
I'd prefer is win records were carried over from the last Swiss in order to do seeding. Start things off intensely. Also, singles definitely should go first if only to accommodate Orlando and Afro(still don't know how to spell your name).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but I'll bring my wii.

buenob

Smash Lord
if we're doing +min number of rounds, it really doesn't matter who you play first... if I play derek first round, it's the same as playing him 5th round...

also, confirm me for friday! i'm looking forward to playing afro

Fogel

Smash Lord
Unless there's a huge rush of votes for double elim, I guess it will be Swiss again this week. I think we can try 6 rounds this time and see how it goes. I'm not sure how we will do seeding for first round; we could go by last week's results, but the majority seemed to be in favour of random seeding last time. We can take another vote during the biweekly itself.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I hope you kids are ready for me because I'll be coming into this bi-weekly armed with ancient Chinese wisdom!

Cam: despite my whining that Flow isn't that great, it's actually won me over quite a bit now. The author, while distinctly saying that nothing in the book is about anything mystical or paranormal, has a tendency of using vague language that certainly makes it seem like he's talking out of his ***. However, when he gets down to the nitty-gritty he really shows that he knows what he's talking about. I'll try to finish it up soon enough so that I can lend it to you.

On the flow note, quick survey: When was the last time any of you felt true Flow? For me it was when I played at Only in Niagara 2 against Retlaf and Pastaboy. Time slowed down (and yet went by so quickly :(), there was nothing in the world other than the game, I wasn't playing as Lucas - I WAS Lucas, and I felt absolutely great. And I lost, but we'll ignore that part. :p

On the other hand, I can concretely say that I WASN'T in a state of flow during my two $15 money matches against Dan at my SFIV-fest. I was counting on everything falling into place and going into flow-mode against him but instead I couldn't even pull off my super basic two-hit combos consistently. Stupid flow-inhibiting fear auras...

arsenic41

Smash Ace
if you really care, I unlock the secrets to time and space every time I'm not sandbagging. I guess that would be teaming with derek during OBscene.

On topic : where the **** are all the guys going to bi-weeklies?!? we have 7 people so far

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Flow, I call it the Zone, happens a lot when I'm playing Gears of War. I'll suddenly realize that for the past games I didn't even notice the TV in from of me or the controller in my hands. It's been happened less and less as I age though. I remember a lot of it happening when playing Nintendo and Sega Genesis back in the day.

Congrats Haze on picking up USmash, I mean Zelda! A third Zelda player might ruffle the feathers a bit.

Top Bottom