• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Brawl Community Doubles #7 - August 8th - Registration is day of event

THEmSHAKE

Smash Apprentice
This is something I wanted to say during the chat, but I couldnt keep up. I think I know worldjem was saying about ladder system, but didnt really describe it in a way that was clear cut. Allow me to try here because I think he has the best idea so far.

The issue with this is catering to both hardcore and casul players, right? The hardcore would want to stay on top of the leaderboards and not reset while casual and new hardcore players would like a realistic chance to catch up or be on top. Does that sound like the problem we have?

What we need is a specific combination to make everyone reasonably happy. Here's an example of what we could do. Say the learder board last 3 months. With there being 2 tournys each month in theory, 3 months is a reasonable time. So after 3 months the ladder resets. So now the causal/new hardcore are happy, but what about the hardcore who had been playing since day one? All there work seems to have gone out the window.....unless there is something to prove to everyone what they accomplished. ie length of time on ladder or reaching the top, ect. This is where we can please everyone if done the right way.

Say the ladder resets, but the best players don't go away empty handed. Lets say that each of the best get a permanent "medal" of some type that ALLOWS THEM TO BE RECOGNIZED. And these medals appear below their avatar.

Some example of medals

1. Places 1 - 10
If you ever got here, you get a medal representing the place you got.

2. Consistant top 10
After some tournys you managed to stay within the top 10 without being pushed off.

3. 1st place juggernot
After some tournys you kept 1st place.

4. Cosmic jump
The difference in where you went from last tourny to this one was amazing.

And since the boards reset, these medals can be earned more than once. The best will naturally aquire the most. And with collecting these they will WANT the ladder to reset as some medals can only be earned once in a period.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
The issue with this is catering to both hardcore and casul players, right? The hardcore would want to stay on top of the leaderboards and not reset while casual and new hardcore players would like a realistic chance to catch up or be on top. Does that sound like the problem we have?

What we need is a specific combination to make everyone reasonably happy. Here's an example of what we could do. Say the learder board last 3 months. With there being 2 tournys each month in theory, 3 months is a reasonable time. So after 3 months the ladder resets. So now the causal/new hardcore are happy, but what about the hardcore who had been playing since day one? All there work seems to have gone out the window.....unless there is something to prove to everyone what they accomplished. ie length of time on ladder or reaching the top, ect. This is where we can please everyone if done the right way.

Say the ladder resets, but the best players don't go away empty handed. Lets say that each of the best get a permanent "medal" of some type that ALLOWS THEM TO BE RECOGNIZED. And these medals appear below their avatar.
I'm sorry Shake but, I had no intention of "reseting" the leaderboard at any time in any of my suggestions.

Also, the "medals" idea just isn't feasible because then there would be an unreasonable amount of special titles that we really don't need and it ultimately complicates everything. It's just completely unnecessary

darkNES386 understood what I meant by the end of that discussion.

We have a specific amount of time that we count towards the leaderboard (6 months max) and anything past that can't be accounted towards a player's skill. When the newest tournament happens the oldest one will be knocked out.

There will be a history of all tournaments to see how far you've gone since you started but, only results within the past 6 months will be counted towards the current Leaderboard.

Tell me: Does it make sense to count an event that happened 2 years ago for a current leaderboard?

I don't think so.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
Alright, alright. I'm going to comment on all this but I haven't had time to read everything so..:

For the casual/competitive concern, you should go competitive. Why? Because there will be people who will complain and start fights about luck. Keeps it easier and less arguing.

I think this should be every weekend too. Start Friday nights..then saturday..possibly sunday. You can have 3 days and make it like the PGA.

For the leaderboard: No wipes. If they come in late, that doesn't mean anything. The better players will always be on top. Maybe have semesters so half way through the season you wipe everything and have a part II. During the transition, the top 10 play in a tournament like an allstar game so to speak. Then at the end of the year it will be to Top 10/Anyone who won a tournament during the WHOLE year.

I'm probably missing some things but all of these would make it more effective in my opinion. Comment/Concerns?

worldjem7

Smash Ace
For the casual/competitive concern, you should go competitive. Why? Because there will be people who will complain and start fights about luck. Keeps it easier and less arguing.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Where would the complaints come from? Why did you bring up "luck" ?

Maybe have semesters so half way through the season you wipe everything and have a part II. During the transition, the top 10 play in a tournament like an allstar game so to speak. Then at the end of the year it will be to Top 10/Anyone who won a tournament during the WHOLE year.
No wipes... at all. Wiping the leaderboard would only complicate things. Would you wipe a PR here on SWF? No, I don't think you would. The most recent people that are the best are put up there. Same thing with this leaderboard: we take the results from the most recent events up to 6 months that way it still has some background but, it's not too old so that it makes the leaderboard inaccurate.

I'm probably missing some things but all of these would make it more effective in my opinion. Comment/Concerns?
Definitely, I recommend you read over the entire posts before posting a comment or you run the risk of being out of place or suggesting something that was probably already ruled out.

EDIT: This topic has actually been settled and should not be discussed. The system has been agreed upon between darkNES and other members of OBC including myself.

BESTsmashr

Smash Rookie
hey i didnt know there were tornements for this game.....i should come to one! im RLY good as Mewtwo

Deuteronomy 12:27
And thou shalt offer thy burnt offerings, the flesh and the blood, upon the altar of the LORD thy God: and the blood of thy sacrifices shall be poured out upon the altar of the LORD thy God, and thou shalt eat the flesh.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
If you're looking for Melee tournaments then you're in the wrong place. This is the discussion for Brawl Online Tournaments.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The ladder system sounds intresting, but it could be overcomplicated, unless you have a set point system. I get most of the ladder system, but it can be wayyyy overly complicated if not run by console comapny (in this case Nintendo) or the company that makes the game ("The Studio", HAL, and/or Nintendo). IMO it should go by a ladder system, but a easy to use one. Like for instance it goes by your rank in each group (of 10-20), and the better you place, the more points you get. In the case of a tie, both players get maximum points as if they both broke the tie and won the tie-breaker match (in just the groups).

Then go by rank in the final part, and they all get major points, especially first. I'm not sure how to calculate points and whatnot, but it seems intresting, indefinitely. It will probably be a major hassle, though. Hopefully you guys can get it to work out, and I wish you the best of luck! :) Not entirely sure if I'll enter the first tournament (seeing as how I've registered for 2 or 3, and they might be on the same day! >_<), but I probably will eventually *goes and procrastinatesk*. Now I got to choose a main, and other characters I will use! :urg:

worldjem7

Smash Ace
^ lol the funny part is.... we have a points system already started and worked out for pools lol. We're also discussing one for brackets.

Ranking won't be a problem and it certainly won't be a hassle.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ lol the funny part is.... we have a points system already started and worked out for pools lol. We're also discussing one for brackets.

Ranking won't be a problem and it certainly won't be a hassle.
That's good. I've seen some games with unofficial ranking systems and crap, and a lot of them suck, and not too many people like them! :laugh: Luckily this probably isn't follwoing that trend. :)

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Hello, I am both new to these boards and wicked excited for this competition!

Theres no doubt that I will be here the day brawl comes out to register my code and such.

Thanks for organizing this!

Side question - Do you think Nintendo will hold real tournaments for special titles or something? I would love to have a chance to actually win something!
It's a pleasure to have your first post on my thread. I am not sure about Nintendo, but other gaming companies/leagues will possibly be hosting Brawl Tournaments. Expect these to be in person though. The game is not out yet, but it is clear that there are plenty of issues that prevent it from being anywhere near as competitive online as in person.

hey i didnt know there were tornements for this game.....i should come to one! im RLY good as Mewtwo
I encourage you to attend a tournament event for melee. They are a lot of fun. As with any game, whenever you play someone new you quickly find yourself learning something.

As for Brawl, there will absolutely be live tournament events. Online is going to be a little more difficult to do and require a little more patience on everyone's part, even with proper planning.

Good Luck with Mewtwo's unknown status in Brawl!

That's good. I've seen some games with unofficial ranking systems and crap, and a lot of them suck, and not too many people like them! :laugh: Luckily this probably isn't follwoing that trend. :)
Hopefully, if we get this tournament series rolling many of you will see that qualifying is not as easy as the cha cha slide. I don't want people to get discouraged. Some players may qualify on a regular basis while others will be pleased to win half their games. The leader board was never the goal of this tournament series and honestly it could still be fun without it. It was side product of deciding the easiest way to seed the top competitors. Also, it's to help the average player get a better grasp of where he stands. Without the ladder players could still view everyone's results, however the concern is that a fine line would be draw between qualifiers and non-qualifiers. This puts roughly 1 out of every 15 people in one elite category while keeping everyone else in this wide spread group of players that either just miss the cutoff or do not even bother to submit results properly to earn their points.

You are playing this tournament with the mindset that a team of people are helping you meet many new Brawlers on the field of online battle, all at the same time, with as much simplicity as possible. After a few successful events we can further promise that we will do our best to pair you in a group with as diverse a skill as possible. Too many players lose sight of what online play's main purpose is. It's to connect you with players you may never have the chance to see in person, to help those who may have difficulty finding someone in their home area, and to help remind us that there is always someone out there who may be better or at least have something new to teach us.

If anyone has any questions, as always feel free to ask. There are two videos I posted a little while ago, but they have some facts that are not accurate. Please be sure to take away most of the concepts. We still have plenty to learn about the online capabilities of Brawl. Please keep an open mind as we continue to plan and adjust this series.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Would Teams be possible? I always love entering teams.

I think I remember you saying biweeklies, but maybe you could switch it every time? Week one: Singles Week 3: Doubles
or have someone else (if you cant run it) run doubles on the weeks in between. One: Singles Two:Doubles Three: Singles Four: Doubles

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
@ airgemini, it all depends. You can have any type of wireless, but it needs to be a fairly strong connection. We're not sure about regions and how much distance will really affect this yet.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Would Teams be possible? I always love entering teams.

I think I remember you saying biweeklies, but maybe you could switch it every time? Week one: Singles Week 3: Doubles
or have someone else (if you cant run it) run doubles on the weeks in between. One: Singles Two:Doubles Three: Singles Four: Doubles
I would certainly be open to the idea. Perhaps once we establish a solid group of players we can have only veteran members of the series participate as they hopefully have proven their honesty and skill a little more than new comers. They have more on the line if a skirmish or huge disagreement occured.

Online team matches may require much more outside work involved such as a screen shot of the ending results. This may not seem like a big deal, but understand our main goal is to host a tournament where third party resources are used as little as possible. The biggest reason for this is to keep things as simple as possible and to open up the events to as many people as possible.

This tournament series has reached this point:

Even if you don't have a computer, contestants can post their registration information, look up their group and post their round robin results in threads such as this one without ever touching a video/picture camera or even their computer if they have the Wii Internet Browser. Even during the elimination matches, the few who qualify simply wait for hosts to invite them to matches without having to constantly check online for other results or directions.

Realize that there is no 5 man smash and spectator mode is only for WITH ANYONE (which means we can't utilize it at all) so it would be difficult to know the winner without taking player's words/proof.

You will be greatly encouraged to preseve your forum name as it will be one of the most stable forms of identification you will have.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Airgemini, if you're talking about making your wii online accessable, go to wii options->internet->search for wireless access point. If you have a valid wireless point, you can connect to it through there.

bigman40

Smash Master
Just like DarkNes said, doubles will take more work and more thought through to make sure that all problems would be solved. Ideas are greatly appreciated while we set-up this tournament. If it needs someone else to host it, there won't be too much trouble to find someone who would like to take that position.

bigman40

Smash Master
well, we have something thought out for the dittos (i might let you know later), but the doubles might come in later since we want to get the series on its feet. The dittos will take a little more time so that we will have everything set-up.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
@ airgemini, it all depends. You can have any type of wireless, but it needs to be a fairly strong connection. We're not sure about regions and how much distance will really affect this yet.
Oh, thanks anyways.

Airgemini, if you're talking about making your wii online accessable, go to wii options->internet->search for wireless access point. If you have a valid wireless point, you can connect to it through there.
Thank you....

My router doesn't comply with Wiis so yeah, some don't work. :(
And doubles is what I really want to get good at. Dittos and Doubles are my thing! :p
Okay thanks..

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
I give a BIG thumbs up to the Nintendo USB.
Eliminated all trace of lag that I had.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I can't do wi-fi at my college because the internet is disgraceful. I am going to have to rely on old-school playing with friends in person.

Thunderbolt730

Smash Cadet
Wow, this looks like it'd be really fun. I'm gonna have to read that first post about two or three more times to understand everything, and I'll probably sit the first tournament out, but count me in for a future tourney!

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
This tournament is definitely looking very good, I look forward to participating in it.

Handorin

Smash Hero
You cant enter if you dont have a way to play smash. Besides, the tournament isnt the day it comes out. Wait for the stores to get more and try and get one then.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
I don't know if this has already been answered, but I know that when Brawl gets to Target, BestBuy, etc., it'll be gone in about two hours. What if some people don't get a copy of Brawl?
I doubt we'll have supply trouble. As much as I despise the comparison, I don't think this will be as hyped as something like Halo or Gears.

However, if you're really that concerned, just reserve it.

We're making this tournament with the thought that everyone who is interested enough in playing the first one will have the game by then. I personally am getting it at midnight and spending the next day home from school with wgwolverine unlocking everything :chuckle:

worldjem7

Smash Ace
lol I did the exact same thing. Reserved in August for December. I knew that Brawl was going to be huge so I got in there early.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I pretty much remade the entire main post. Please check it and ask me any questions or concerns about it. I once again want to apologize that the video summaries and discussion contradict in some parts. Overall though, the ideas are the same.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I was looking the 1st post over again, and I was wondering: Why dont know want to know the score of each match?
ex. Me 2-0
Luigi 2-1

Even if you dont use it in seeding, qualification, etc, it would be nice to look and see how well a person faired against another.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I was looking the 1st post over again, and I was wondering: Why dont know want to know the score of each match?
ex. Me 2-0
Luigi 2-1

Even if you dont use it in seeding, qualification, etc, it would be nice to look and see how well a person faired against another.
Of the two parts...

1)Round Robin...
That's one more thing to take into account. It may be difficult enough to get players to report the actual winner (if there even was one).

2)Elimination Matches
These matches will be observed by a 3rd party tournament director, so if there is an actual winner, he can report the actual score/result of the match accurately and without dispute.

Therefore, the best time to show the actual match scores would be during the elimination bracket. I have no problem displaying a few more details about these matches.

I need you to clarify though what you mean by "score." The remaining stocks? Actual score of KO's?

Currently we would not use these details for any sort of scoring system.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
I think he means score as in match victories.
If we were to do a best of 3, for instance, a sample score would be Aaryk over wolverine 2-1.
best of 5 would be something like wolverine over Aaryk 3-1.

Top Bottom