• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Brawl Community Doubles #7 - August 8th - Registration is day of event

worldjem7

Smash Ace
*call dibs on volunteer position*

10char-mander.

EDIT: if you assigned volunteers to specific pools/regions of the bracket, wouldn't that be more efficient as far as the information gathered goes?

So Vol. 1 would be responsible for all the members of pool A, so instead of Vol.s compiling all the info from specific pages, they would have to know who is in their pool, and only get the information on those players.
*also calls dibs on a volunteer position* (lol)

This could be good but, you'd have to rewrite all the info and then send it to darkNES.

If we just take the results from each page we can send all the info a lot faster and because darkNES has all the info on everything all he has to do is check the name on the top of the list and put it to the according pool/section/group/person.

Only way that Pool/Region Masters would work is if we had specific threads dedicated to each region or pool. This would be where other forums could come into play because we all know that SWF is flooded with threads as it is.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
"Threads" are not the same as "Zones". SWF has Regional Zones where there are a number of different threads concerning each region and I realize this but, if we make a regional "thread" in each regional "zone" simply to post results that will be a lot of clicking and will slow everything down. It would be too much hassle to sift through if we don't have enough volunteers.

What I was trying to suggest is that we use a different forum and create specific THREADS and not an entire ZONE for them so then all of the different threads for each region would all be in one neat results category.

Personally though I think we should stick to the intervals within this thread so as not to cause confusion for the time being.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
*also calls dibs on a volunteer position* (lol)

This could be good but, you'd have to rewrite all the info and then send it to darkNES.

If we just take the results from each page we can send all the info a lot faster and because darkNES has all the info on everything all he has to do is check the name on the top of the list and put it to the according pool/section/group/person.

Only way that Pool/Region Masters would work is if we had specific threads dedicated to each region or pool. This would be where other forums could come into play because we all know that SWF is flooded with threads as it is.
There wouldn't have to be regional threads/zones.
The pool moderator would jsut have to skim the thread and compile the information pertaining only to his/her pool. All it really does is spread out the work so nes doesn't have to go through pages of results messaged by volunteers. By having a pool moderator just take care of his/her pool, they need only report the results of the pool they are responsible for, so nes doesn't have to do anything but post the bracket based on the results of the pools, which are tallied and summed up by the pool's moderator.

I'm sure I said the same thing over and over, but the main point of it, is nes has done a TON to help everyone out, and it helps show thanks by helping him out by cutting his busy work a little.

EDIT:Once this has been done a few times, I don't see why we couldn't get some Mod support, and if it works, it could end up being like the official system once it sort of evolves through play and developes with the metagame. Then there could be a sort of online "battle net" kind of section to SWF.

I'm just sort of thinking out loud here.

Feel free to flame me accordingly XD

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I'm all for taking some of the load off of darkNES but, there will be ALOT of people playing (over 100 maybe) so there will be many people posting and the thing I'm stressing is speed.

Which would be faster:

a) Volunteers taking down results from their designated pages and darkNES sorting it out
or
b) Pool mods going through all pages of this thread to accumulate the pool's results then turning in the pool results to darkNES

"a)" gets the info to darkNES the fastest for him to sort everything out but, then he's stuck with a big workload
"b)" takes longer for the volunteers to take down the info but, once done and sent it makes it easier for darkNES to sort everything out further for brackets

for "b)" this is why I suggested we go to a different forum and set up threads where if you belong to Pool A you post your results in that thread. This way it would be easy for the Pool mods to take down info AND it would take a load off of darkNES making it the fastest, most efficient way to get the info to darkNES.

BUT, what I had also mentioned about this is the confusion. darkNES has announced that the results will be posted on THIS thread so if we turn around and say "oh well you have to go here now" then there will be mixed results both in this thread and in the other forum.

So if we go with "b)" then darkNES would have to announce it now so later there will be less confusion with where you post your results.

In the video it's said that you post your results in the forum that you registered volunteers may be designated to specific forums to gather results. If darkNES were to change the location of where you post your results he'd have to say so or put it in his next video or both.

As you can see all the details involved with "b)" make things a lot more complicated than they could be which would turn me back to "a)" where it's much more simple to gather info and darkNES would be the only one dealing with any sorting out.

There are pros and cons for both options, what we need to decide is which one we want to do.

Joecool

Smash Journeyman
Well when yoy put it that way A the better choice, but arent you worried about voulunteers being baised and changing results to help their friends?,

bigman40

Smash Master
Well, if the people posted it in the first place, couldn't they recheck if they see a problem in the tallying? Plus, if someone tried that stunt, then I'd say just ban them completely.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Exactly, if you know something was changed then make a fuss and show us what the real results are. Anyone to even attempt that would be banned. To help with this make sure that all the results you took down are correct and DON'T edit your post.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
My suggestion would be for a scenario only if we do it all here.
In a perfect situation, we get a separate location. Be it a thread, or like how when you go to smash blog, it's a completely different section of smashboards with different navigation buttons at the top. However, since if I were a mod of smashboards, i'd be skeptical about endorsing the first tournament system to come around too, it looks like we'd have to do it on another thread or on a separate forum, like the other one I just joined with you guys.

I understand what you mean about taking in the results. When it gets above 100 it will definitely be tougher. If there's a separate location for results, there will be less clutter because there will be less "omg i support this" and "this is a good idea!" posts thrown in, plus no discussion of results. It can work, it's just the problems need to be approached the way we are right now.

This is good. We're making progress XD

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
Even though my participation will be minimal at best,
I hope to help my boy WgWolv and the rest of you guys in any way that I can.
I can tape, upload, capture card, anything you may need me to do in order to try to run this smoothly.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
more like thousands of ppl lol, or a set amount of ppl when rankings come in
You splitting hairs on numbers. We're talknig hypotheticals for how to do the volunteers. Of course with more people there would have to be more volunteers or the volunteers would have to be responsible for more. I'm just saying like the 4 or 5 i've seen request to be volunteers would be fine for stuff around 100, but once you get past it, which I do not doubt at all that it will, then yes, there will need to be more people helping out.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
darkNes is a girl? that shatters my universe. No not really, but I notice I have referred to you as a he so please don't bgrudge me my ignorance XD

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Oh, hokay. My bad again. I guess my universe is unshattered. I'll subscribe later, I'm in study hall and youtube is blocked on the school network. I fnally made an account so I can post vids from the last melee tournament i'll host.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
lolz dyce, you're cool. Second, expect to see me in the next video, cause I'm just going to be talking and talking and talking to cover all the bases. There will still be pictures and text and stuff, but as I knew would happen, people are contacting me and asking about all these problems that could arise that I've already been planning for. The pool concept is the key to this whole thing... it prevents so many problems from arising such as players registering mulitiple times with different names and brawl codes.

About the only thing right now we can't address is lag, because well... we just don't know yet.
The other big thing is how players edit rules when choosing the WITH FRIENDS option. We're going under the assumption right now that the creator of the game makes the rules... if this is the case then it's all good because according to the schedule you create and join an equal amount of games.

I'm home for break now, so I"ll deffinatly pump out this second video soon.

EDIT: Keep working hard high schoolers... try and put this tournament and Brawl out of your mind until you get done with your finals... there... I tried to be the good older rolemodel for you.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
lolz dyce, you're cool. Second, expect to see me in the next video, cause I'm just going to be talking and talking and talking to cover all the bases. There will still be pictures and text and stuff, but as I knew would happen, people are contacting me and asking about all these problems that could arise that I've already been planning for. The pool concept is the key to this whole thing... it prevents so many problems from arising such as players registering mulitiple times with different names and brawl codes.

About the only thing right now we can't address is lag, because well... we just don't know yet.
The other big thing is how players edit rules when choosing the WITH FRIENDS option. We're going under the assumption right now that the creator of the game makes the rules... if this is the case then it's all good because according to the schedule you create and join an equal amount of games.

I'm home for break now, so I"ll deffinatly pump out this second video soon.

EDIT: Keep working hard high schoolers... try and put this tournament and Brawl out of your mind until you get done with your finals... there... I tried to be the good older rolemodel for you.
My midterms aren't untill after Christmas break (as of friday we have two school weeks off XD ), so I'm organizing my tournament, and spreading the word for yours. Oh and I'm a little behind on my programming hw so that'll be a major part of break >_<

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Sounds good, I just have one question:
"Is your voice of equal or greater sexiness value as your girlfriend's?"

Haha! Ok, I'm done with the girlfriend jokes. (...man, I crack myself up...)

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
hey i was just reading through all the stuff I missed while my net's been faulty.
and if you need someone to do C++, I'm your guy.

if ur still looking for first tourney help...dowant.
i just want to be a part of something this epic in any way possible.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Yes
I am interested in joining this tournament
Awesome, please make sure you watch the first video (it's on the main post) and read over at least up to the Elimination Bracket portion. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sounds good, I just have one question:
"Is your voice of equal or greater sexiness value as your girlfriend's?"

Haha! Ok, I'm done with the girlfriend jokes. (...man, I crack myself up...)
I fail in comparison. Dont' get your hopes up when you see me talking on this second video.

hey i was just reading through all the stuff I missed while my net's been faulty.
and if you need someone to do C++, I'm your guy.

if ur still looking for first tourney help...dowant.
i just want to be a part of something this epic in any way possible.
I sent you a PM

THEmSHAKE

Smash Apprentice
Great video darknes. Very straight forward. Good thing you thought of using RR or this would never work. I see some people are wanting to help. Its great to see such building interest. Btw, get moh 2 if you haven't yet. The online is fun.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
You know it's coming along when everytime you figure something out... a new series of obsticles are found to overcome. I don't think we would have had this ready by Dec. 3rd had that been the original release date.... NO i'm not glad it got delayed... but I'm only trying to make the most of it.

THEmSHAKE

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I think it was good it got delayed. I think brawl would have been way too much of a distraction to get things done. lol. As for overcoming obstacles. We now have something we didn't have before, a real group of unbiased minds working to solve problems to reach a common goal. I cant tell you just how great it was that no sooner did I post that problem thread that members began discussion. On top of that, worldjem quickly came up with some solution I never though of. It was good to see.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Hey everyone! We're still trying to find an affective way to run the elimination bracket. Our current plan is to have players uninvolved host the matches. This would gurantee the rules are set properly and then they can suicide to watch each other compete. Furthermore, there will be multiple overseeing directors watching for players that have their status go from BRAWLING to OFFLINE. This would imply that a player disconnected and from play and would be disqualified... whether or not it was an accident.

This is what we have to work with, a message board, picture IDs, and Brawl Names.
I would love it if we could develop a system that runs straight off the In-Game Brawl setup shown above. You can designate as much as you want before hand, such as who needs to host which matches and who needs to host potential matches. WINNER/LOSER could be something displayed in the message board. Remember, players don't start the matches, so they might not even need to have a single friend code other than the directors/hosters. What are your thoughts?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I like that set up, so the host would have to be like a fox and illusion off the edge pretty quickly so the players wouldn't have to just stand there and while the host is suiciding, the level changes and leaves soemone disadvantaged. i think it would be good to jsut add 30 seconds to the time limit and let the host disappear. It's the best way as far as friend codes go. i'll pu some though into this later.

Top Bottom