• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Brawl Community Doubles #7 - August 8th - Registration is day of event

darkNES386

Smash Lord

What is the OBC:

The Online Brawl Community originated partially here on smashboards as a tournament series. Myself and a few other members had the common interest of putting together well organized online tournaments upon Brawl's release. The thread you are reading is one of the first threads I ever created here on smashboards.

What we offer you is two great resources that are very helpful for running online events:
We have teamspeak which doesn't hurt your bandwidth as much as skype or ventrillo and we have an Xat chatroom. This chatroom is extremely simple to use but it serves it's purpose well.

More importantly these tournaments have developed an effect system to minimize downtime and prevent the number of no shows that are common with most online events. Registration is not until the day of the event, one hour before.

Information on our current event can be found here:
OBC Singles #7

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Well, as of right now we're considering the 22nd of February. We realize that this date may be well before you unlock all the characters. We are considering kindly asking everyone to only use the original characters, but we obviously will not be able to control what people do. It's important for us to at least do one small test of this type of tournament in order to see just how good/bad the setup for this type of tournament will be. So if you're really concerned I wouldn't recommend participating in the first tournament.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Well, as of right now we're considering the 22nd of February. We realize that this date may be well before you unlock all the characters. We are considering kindly asking everyone to only use the original characters, but we obviously will not be able to control what people do. It's important for us to at least do one small test of this type of tournament in order to see just how good/bad the setup for this type of tournament will be. So if you're really concerned I wouldn't recommend participating in the first tournament.
Well no, I'm not concerned. I'll be fine. Twelve days should be more than enough time for me. And even if I don't get EVERYTHING by then, I'll have had the game long enough to be more than accustomed to it.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I should also mention that we may use a universal chat program to help stay in contact while the tournament takes place. You will be able to simply click on a link and enter the chatroom. It's that simple. Results will still be submitted via forum or email, but this way you can better communicate with other memebers in your round robin group to organize more matches.

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
This sounds great! And for the "universal chat program" I would suggest setting up an official IRC channel for it.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Yes... I was very excited today to see this feature. We will do our best to implement it for any and alll matches that are of the uttermost importance (aka the elimination round of the tournament). Once we actually see how it works and how much footage you can store... we'll look into whether or not it makes sense to have every single match recorded (even round robin). Questions become... how much space will they take up... do you really want to send every single video from your round robin? This should help settling some problems that may arise. This feature will be tested greatly once the game is released to better understand just how it works.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Yes... I was very excited today to see this feature. We will do our best to implement it for any and alll matches that are of the uttermost importance (aka the elimination round of the tournament). Once we actually see how it works and how much footage you can store... we'll look into whether or not it makes sense to have every single match recorded (even round robin). Questions become... how much space will they take up... do you really want to send every single video from your round robin? This should help settling some problems that may arise. This feature will be tested greatly once the game is released to better understand just how it works.
It's not a matter of checking the validity of EVERY match. Just the ones where there is controversy. Every match should be recorded for the time being, and if there are any questions then the videos should be mailed to a ref/mod/judge where they can take it into consideration. But, if there are no problems then the saved data can just be thrown out.

Simple as that.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
^ yeah that makes sense. I was kind of saying that... but still with the setup right now, you wouldn't know about any problems with round robin matches until after ALL of your matches are done. That's a lot of data to hang on to. So perhaps we will only use this feature for the elimination bracket.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
^ yeah that makes sense. I was kind of saying that... but still with the setup right now, you wouldn't know about any problems with round robin matches until after ALL of your matches are done. That's a lot of data to hang on to. So perhaps we will only use this feature for the elimination bracket.
Well, everyone's going to be posting their results of each match. I'm just saying that for the posts from a match that both players said: "I won", you ask for a video of the match. Most likely the winner is going to give you it. Review it, you've got your answer.

It's not complicated, and it's useful.

P.S.- I am so cool for seeing the future yesterday. :p

Xekonic

Smash Rookie
I've done a lot in the form of online competitive play, both from a player standpoint and a league standpoint. I would love to be able to help with this if I may.

With that, are you currently just taking input on the general system (as in how stuff works) and is there any actual website being developed to control all this (so it doesn't need to be done by hand by SWF moderators or selected people).

Jammer

Smash Lord
How do we deal with people lying about who won the match? If the directors aren't watching the matches (how could they?), each player could say he or she won the match.

Videos can be easily faked. Just play with a friend and have their name be the one your opponent uses. Have them lose on purpose, then upload the video of you winning to the director.

This seems to be problematic to me.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
How do we deal with people lying about who won the match? If the directors aren't watching the matches (how could they?), each player could say he or she won the match.

Videos can be easily faked. Just play with a friend and have their name be the one your opponent uses. Have them lose on purpose, then upload the video of you winning to the director.

This seems to be problematic to me.
Video's won't be reviewed until the actual elimination portion of the tournament... I doubt you're going to go through all the trouble of submitting a faked video... and if you do, your opponent will be submitting a video as well... if worse comes to worse, we have the directors observe these matches... remember though, you have to make it through the round robin first and qualify which will be next to impossible for a cheater.

I appreciate the concern... we're going to work as hard as possible to avoid any problems. We hope that the free entry no prize is somewhat of a motivation to play fair. =)

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
What if each match was scheduled at a specific time? Not just a time agreed upon by the two participants, but scheduled by the league. This way, video could be sent immediately after the match, eliminating the opportunity for liars to make and send false matches.
That's a great idea Dyce! It would surely cut down the number of false videos...and liars. And the fact that this tournament is a free entry, no prize tournament....

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
That's a great idea Dyce! It would surely cut down the number of false videos...and liars. And the fact that this tournament is a free entry, no prize tournament....
Thank you, but even the fact that there's no prize for winning, some douchebags will try to make the experience more annoying for others. Ever play Starcraft/Warcraft/Halo on teams? There are some kids who join the game just to leave and screw their "teammate(s)" over and laugh about it afterwards. Making online things difficult and aggrivating get some punks' jollies off, so I wouldn't put it past some future online Smashers to lie just for the fun of it.

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
Thank you, but even the fact that there's no prize for winning, some douchebags will try to make the experience more annoying for others. Ever play Starcraft/Warcraft/Halo on teams? There are some kids who join the game just to leave and screw their "teammate(s)" over and laugh about it afterwards. Making online things difficult and aggrivating get some punks' jollies off, so I wouldn't put it past some future online Smashers to lie just for the fun of it.
Yeah..even better point. Reminds me of that time some ****** by the name "Omega_Puppy" or something like that started TK'ing everyone in Halo..then every time he spawned I would kill him...

Back onto what you said, I guess you can discount cheating...

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Oh, and looking at the pictures again, I realize it has the date and time of the snapshot taken. It's unclear as to whether or not it will give the start time of the recording (because of that stupid "Send your vids" window), but that could also help if it was there, too.

EDIT:
Halo kids are real tools sometimes most of the time.

Tonic_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
maybe in online play there might be an option to Spectate the match, like in counter strike.

that would be neat and solve the problem of having to record every single match.

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
I'm interested.

(I know I don't have Wii, but I may in the future...

If I don't, I'll try to get my friend who has a Wii to enter.)

darkNES386

Smash Lord
BRAWL CODE - WHEN YOU GET BRAWL... AND SIGN ONLINE... YOU WILL HAVE A CODE THAT OTHERS WILL ENTER TO ADD YOU AS THEIR FRIENDS... read the dojo page (www.smashbros.com) that talks about wi-fi to better understand this.

I will take everyone's entry and randomly sort them into groups of probably 20 people and then I will post those groups for everyone to see

You will go into your game and add all the other people from your group to your friend's list (aka entering their brawl codes)

You will then have the rest of the evening to play all the people in your group

You will submit your results to me in the form shown on the main post

I will determine based off of a point system how everyone did... and post the results the following morning

AS OF NOW.... ENTERING BRAWL CODES IS THE ONLY WAY TO ORGANIZE ONLINE PLAY... OTHERWISE IT's 100 PERCENT RANDOM AN YOU'LL HAVE NO CLUE WHO YOU PLAY... EVEN IF YOU ENTER AN ONLINE TOURNAMENT (WHICH TO OUR KNOWLEDGE ISN"T AN ADDED FEATURE...AS OF NOW)

If you qualify... you enter the elimination bracket... qualifying will be very hard.... very hard... don't be discouraged if you don't qualify.

Bowser Smasher

Smash Cadet
OH! Heh, tanks' for the explanation...(Yes, I'm a noob...*Cries*)

That's bad that you can't organize things a little better. Makes for some hassle. Or at least I'm told. :dizzy:

This is a really great idea to get used to the game. ESPECIALLY since Level 9's have always been easy to beat.:chuckle:

darkNES386

Smash Lord
The only hassle will be on the directors part... the effort of adding a handful of buddy codes is not too much trouble... just if you can all help it... have dual access to the internet through your wii and a computer to ease your ability to compete.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I only plan on adding the people who I'm 100% certain that I'm about to match with.
You will know who you are supposed to add as friends because I will post the entire set of groups with names and brawl codes.

I am going to strongly reccomend that you create a seperate mii (account) for online tournament play... you may have to add as many as 40 or more friends to your list (which right now is at a maxium of 64). The last thing you want to be doing is removing some of your good friends that you've made or already have to make room for contestants you have to compete with. You will add everyone from your group at the start... and then play them all, it isn't smart to add them and delete them one at a time.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
You will know who you are supposed to add as friends because I will post the entire set of groups with names and brawl codes.

I am going to strongly reccomend that you create a seperate mii (account) for online tournament play... you may have to add as many as 40 or more friends to your list (which right now is at a maxium of 64). The last thing you want to be doing is removing some of your good friends that you've made or already have to make room for contestants you have to compete with. You will add everyone from your group at the start... and then play them all, it isn't smart to add them and delete them one at a time.
What do you mean a separate account? I thought you only got one per Wii.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Another impressive update of the rules, darkNES. With all the info from the dojo, it looks like online tourny success is more likely.
Thanks

As for the seperate account question... first let me say that I am encouraging you to only use one account per wii for the tournament because it's not humanly possible to play twice the amount of required matches in the given time. However, if you have a friend who wants to play you can still feel free to enter them in the tournament. Just don't expect either of you to qualify or even finish playing all of your matches.

But what I meant by seperate accounts was...

When you log into an online WFC game like Mario Strikers Charged, you are asked to choose a Mii you created as your ID. What I am saying is that you should create two different Miis for your online Brawl play. Of course you want to be identified by your SWF account… so I wouldn’t want you to use that name exactly as it is…

darkNES386 ...when I'm playing with people I know for competitive FUN
darkNES386-T for when I'm playing in a tournament. That way the two don't overlap... and furthermore... you can avoid people who aren't in the tournament from inviting you to join a game when you're busy trying to compete in a tournament. Make sense?

Realize that as of right now... it appears you can have no more than 64 friends on your Brawl Friend list. If we have a large enough tournament... expect to be adding 25-30 names to your list to compete against. I would hate for people using their regular account to be forced to delete people from their friends list because they needed to make room for their tournament roster. IF you want, go ahead and delete then re-add them, however I am suggesting that it would make more sense to actually have a separate account....

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Alright, now I understand. Yea, I can do that easily. (I've got about 30 Miis already! They're just looking for usage.)

And those numbers are good because I've already got about 15 friends already, so I didn't want to waste space or give up the more important people.

Anyway, this is looking like it's coming to fruition very well. Keep up the good work, DarkNES386.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'm really impressed Dnes, I'm definitely looking forward to this. I've read most of the rules, alot more than I had expected. If theres anything we can do to help like coming up with chat ideas or advertisement, you should let us know, this seems like alot for one person to organize.

-Alright I read through-

These are typically going to be weekends I hope. Tournaments usually flow fine because only a select group of people can get to them, and there are alot of games going on simultaneously, so things go moderately quickly. However, since brawl will be online, the tournament pool is increased by thousands (ackknowledging the active members of the board versus the amount of tournament traveling smashers), and while 3 hours of play is a decent assumption based on the figure of approximately 320 people, I would say there either has to be like a cap on the tournaments as a first come first serve, because there could be hundreds of people that are interested in competing once Brawl is out, since bragging rights are almsot as good as money. I'm sort of thinking out loud here, but I think there needs to be a cap.

Also, is anyone interested in coming up with like a power ranking system?

Top Bottom