• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Brawl Community Doubles #7 - August 8th - Registration is day of event

Handorin

Smash Hero
That may be the case for Elimination Matches (we have yet to decide on the exact format). However, round robin matches will be best of 1. You have 1 shot against each of your opponents.
Really? That seems rather odd. Ive never heard of a tournament making it one shot in pools (round robin). The only thing Ive seen different in pools is making it 3stock and less time instead of 4stock/8min.

Also, in this beta tournament, should we also discuss (or try out if some have been suggested) bannable stages?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Really? That seems rather odd. Ive never heard of a tournament making it one shot in pools (round robin). The only thing Ive seen different in pools is making it 3stock and less time instead of 4stock/8min.

Also, in this beta tournament, should we also discuss (or try out if some have been suggested) bannable stages?
This isn't an in person tournament though. 20-30 people will not be the entire tournament. I considered best of 3 for the pool matches, but I think it may be a struggle just to get in one match with each opponent. Too many variables can happen to pull someone away from their wii or their internet goes down. You are either creating twice or 3x as many necessary times to connect with each player. Not to mention this increases the time of the tournament and if we cut down the size of each group to compensate... we're increasing the size of the elimination bracket dramatically. We want to stay away from a large elimination bracket because these matches will most likely be best of 3 and will require hosts to observe each match.

The green concepts in the main post is what we need to keep our eyes on. This setup will allow for a diverse group of players to participate. I'm sorry if you're expecting a die hard setup where we are going to grind out every match individually with a team of hosts that create and join each match. This opens the door to too many problems.
One of the biggest concerns, double registration... can't happen with our setup. You're then expected to play twice as many matches in the same amount of time as everyone else. The other problem... time. If every match is hosted then that dramatically slows down the overall time of the tournament. Ultimately it would be really neat if we could have this be a single day event, once in the afternoon and once in the evening. It all depends on the downtime for the volunteers to gather results.

We also can't assume that this game is going to have the same stock and time limit as melee. Most characters apparently survive longer now. We may find ourselves in general making every match 3 stock instead of 4. That's going to be an ongoing process as we figure this game out along with everyone else.

As for banning stages, that is something we need to develop too. We need to be open minded about most stages and just keep an eye out for major random issues and any broken strategies (fox laser in temple).

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Very cool. Just got my wii last week, hopefully I'm not too busy when the tourney date rolls around.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
It's people like you, I think, that's going to make Brawl competitively fun online. Thank you for taking the time and energy to organize such a feat.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
It's people like you, I think, that's going to make Brawl competitively fun online. Thank you for taking the time and energy to organize such a feat.
I had and am contine to getting a lot of help and support. If you or anyone else is looking for anyways to help contribute to this series please PM me or contact me any way listed in my profile.

There is a test tournament we will be running with a controlled size prior to the kick-off event and we could always use more opinions about how to improve modify our series once the actual game is released and we know what we're working with.

If you're just looking to play, then great too! Just sit tight and be patient like the rest of us.... just about a month left!!!!

Leviscus

Smash Apprentice
This looks like it will be a blast and I really want to take part in the first tourney. Hopefully when I preorder my copy when I get back up to college I will get it on the day of release and not have to wait for another shipment. Waiting til the last minute ftl :(

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I did not mention this in the [play 2 win] podcast, but im going to be moderately regular on the podcast, so i can mention it whenever you want.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind being part of the test tourny and giving feedback, if that's cool with you.

Although, I can't see any foreseeable errors in your planning. The giving points for losses thing, in particular, is a pretty good failsafe for cheaters.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I did not mention this in the [play 2 win] podcast, but im going to be moderately regular on the podcast, so i can mention it whenever you want.
Yeah that's cool. I trust that whatever you do say eventually to promote the tournament will be alright. Just try not to go into too much detail and let people know the name of the series. Your best bet is probably to mention the youtube videos... that the details might not all be entirely accurate, but that it gives the general idea. People like to watch videos learned. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnFBHmLW8UQ

Card

Smash Lord
I just wanted to tip my hat to darkNES386 in organizing all of this. I hope everything works out great!

Although I have a question for you... (it may have been asked before...)
With the recent upload of the Japanese TV Spots for Brawl, one feature of Online has been shown. It's possible to play 2v2 Online, with 2 players on the same console.
(shown here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=y57J62IMnuA )

Will you be allowing Doubles Tournaments in your Online Schedual?

Handorin

Smash Hero
I already asked. So here is his responce

I would certainly be open to the idea. Perhaps once we establish a solid group of players we can have only veteran members of the series participate as they hopefully have proven their honesty and skill a little more than new comers. They have more on the line if a skirmish or huge disagreement occured.

Online team matches may require much more outside work involved such as a screen shot of the ending results. This may not seem like a big deal, but understand our main goal is to host a tournament where third party resources are used as little as possible. The biggest reason for this is to keep things as simple as possible and to open up the events to as many people as possible.

This tournament series has reached this point:

Even if you don't have a computer, contestants can post their registration information, look up their group and post their round robin results in threads such as this one without ever touching a video/picture camera or even their computer if they have the Wii Internet Browser. Even during the elimination matches, the few who qualify simply wait for hosts to invite them to matches without having to constantly check online for other results or directions.

Realize that there is no 5 man smash and spectator mode is only for WITH ANYONE (which means we can't utilize it at all) so it would be difficult to know the winner without taking player's words/proof.

You will be greatly encouraged to preseve your forum name as it will be one of the most stable forms of identification you will have.

Revven

FrankerZ
You have me interested, when exactly do you plan to have the tournament though? I couldn't see a date through my skimming of the first post.

So... uhh... a date?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Yeah that's cool. I trust that whatever you do say eventually to promote the tournament will be alright. Just try not to go into too much detail and let people know the name of the series. Your best bet is probably to mention the youtube videos... that the details might not all be entirely accurate, but that it gives the general idea. People like to watch videos learned. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnFBHmLW8UQ
Would it be wise to direct people to the forum or to just send them to that overview page? And I'll definitely mention the youtube videos. As of now I'll reference this thread, the youtube videos, and go into a general explanation, kind of guarding the specifics so we don't look foolish if anything changes. I know when I talk to RDK and Buzz, they'll mention Wi-Fi wars, so i just say that we're making a system that can be run regardless of location, and could be done through wifi wars?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Would it be wise to direct people to the forum or to just send them to that overview page? And I'll definitely mention the youtube videos. As of now I'll reference this thread, the youtube videos, and go into a general explanation, kind of guarding the specifics so we don't look foolish if anything changes. I know when I talk to RDK and Buzz, they'll mention Wi-Fi wars, so i just say that we're making a system that can be run regardless of location, and could be done through wifi wars?
All they have to do is google THE ONLINE BRAWL COMMUNITY and they can count on something relevant turning up. Go ahead and say the system is flexible enough right now to run on most forums. As far as details... it starts with pools that form an elimination bracket. In the near future... if a better website is made I'll deffinately puchase the domain name and then you can feel free to mention that. For now just say there's a forum up for planning... and the video summaries have relevant information.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
Pound 3 can definitely get us some legal rules, as far as items and smash balls go.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Pound 3 can definitely get us some legal rules, as far as items and smash balls go.
Right now, I think they have a good set of rules going on.

--First off, the entire tournament will be 2/3 ! There is a time restraint, and there will be no talks of double. Finals will be 3/5. Sorry for the inconvenience.

--All matches will be four stock, with an eight minute time limit.

--If a match ends due to time, the player with the most stock will win. If stock is tied, the percentage will determine the winner. If the percent is tied, then the match will be restarted with one stock, 3 minutes.

--DSR will be in effect. I don't care how cool Mount Olympus is.

--Any stage from this point that can alter a players percentage/damage will not be playable. (except Cornaria!)

--Any excessive stalling, or running away will be grounds for a warning. Yes, it's a viable strategy, but I don't want to rule out stages immediately, just so people can win money. After the first warning, if you're caught, you'll be disqualified with no refund. If you don't like it, too bad. You shouldn't be entering tournaments if you need to hide from your opponent. Of course, laser/turnip camping are fine, just no blatant flying under/above the stage (out of reach) or running around obstacles.

--SMASH BALL AND ALL SUPER ATTACKS ARE ON!! I suggest reading up on each character's abilities during final smash mode. This will greatly improve your chances.

--Wobbling is not banned. Why? Because the game is new, and if anyone dares to use the ICs without wavedashing, I'd say they would need a bit of help. ^_^
I think this one will really let us get a feel to how long matches will last, and hopefully this at least allows matches to be 2/3 in pools because I think that is the fairest way.
They also have stages like Brinstar (which is legal now) and Norfair banned. Those look fine to me, but it's early in the game's life and things will change. *shrug*

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
i think i botched the date of the first tournament but [play 2 win]'s 3rd podcast should be up tomorrow, ill link you then. buzz is hosting the podcast on smashnexus.

Twintail

Smash Cadet
Hopefully I can do this, it always sucks when there are no tournaments around where you live and it'll be great to fight some smashers here. I be checking back in!

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Teamspeak should be up soon, by the end of the week.

Xigger

Smash Lord
February 23rd? That's about two weeks to train..... as hasty as we always are, but I'll sign up anyways.

Top Bottom