• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

omggg PIT IS BROKEN AND CHEAP

NxC

Smash Apprentice
As things stand, we've already been branded with a terrible stereotype that hardly begins to describe how a real Pit player does his or her thing. To the uninformed, we are seen as "projectile spammers" with a "broken recovery" and "almost all lagless attacks" and two reflectors, and that's just the surface.

Digging deeper, we've managed to create trip-less running. We've made a laughing stock of WoI's "easily gimpable" properties. Heck, it can even be a lighting-fast shield. We've got gusting. We've mastered control of arrows in non-linear directions. We have it all, packed into a lightweight, speedy package that can switch from offensive to defensive in a blink of an eye.

Knowing, learning, and using new applications of techniques is part of my daily routine when I play some multiplayer matches with my roommates and friends. However, whenever I win or demonstrate something new, I get the outbursts that "Pit is broken", and not an ounce of attention is paid to my responses. It's gotten to the point where my 2-3 opponents will gank me as soon as the match starts, almost completely ignoring each other until I'm gone. I'm going to be totally honest, I'm terrible at free-for-alls, and always have been. Not only that, Pit doesn't have the substantial mob control of a heavyweight. While being in these overwhelming situations (and losing because of them) constantly has significantly bolstered my ability to handle them (much like NES Kid Icarus), I can still only do so much.

I would like to note here that my friends/roommates are very skilled at the game, and are also mature people. They aren't whiners and noobs.

On that note, as I'm sure all of you have seen, the folks in the Meta Knight boards found a tactic that has summoned an onslaught of "omg mk is cheap", "MK is broken", etc. threads, leaving MK players to just shake their heads in disgust and frustration at these people who can't think logically because their friends are better than them. Taking into account the more recent physics-altering ATs that the brilliant minds of the Pit section have discovered, I really believe it is only a matter of time before a huge breakthrough discovery is made.

So, let's get hypothetical. Let's say one day we're flooded with nothing but hate comments (moreso than we already are). What do we have to say in our defense, other than "learn to work around it"? Also, what do you say when/if told that our main is "broken" and "cheap"? (granted, of course, most of these comments come from immature, uninformed and unskillful players)

D

Deleted member

Dont listen, only idiots think that, pit is a crap character xD

kown

Smash Lord
pit is anything but cheap. Just show ppl the tier list and tourney results.

if they say spammers than they are just bad.
If they say recovery is cheap than show them robs and mks recovery.
Why does it amtter if he has two reflectors? fox falco shiek have reflectors and that doesnt seem to bother anyone.
pit doesnt have any autocancels so i dont know why they complain about lagless attacks.

Pit can be really good in FFA. but u gotta be pretty cheap so i just use snake, its not like thers any good FFA tournies.

O.M.E.G.A

Smash Cadet
I hope we find a really god AT with pit that will move him up in the tier list. But pit still won't be cheap or broken.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if people say that pit is broken, i dont care who they are, they are whiners and nubcakes and need to get over themselves. shuttle loop, and knee to sledgehammer ***** every AT pit has. people need to stop acting like fools and play the game

Deidara~Tail~

Smash Apprentice
Where you'd least expect, and don't say "unde
Non-Pit players complain that Pit has a cheap recovery move. They're quite wrong, because his greatest recovery move is also his greatest flaw. I mean, hello? You CAN attack me while I'm using WoI, and when you hit me, I'll fall to my doom 99% of the time while I'm trying to recover. If people are complaining that Pit has an unfair recovery, then it's their fault for not taking advantage of the downside of Pit's WoI.

They also fail to understand that aiming arrows is harder said than done when your opponent is in the air. Arrow looping is more difficult in WiFi matches than in offline matches. I wonder if they realize that shielding, rolling around, sidestepping, or jumping over the arrows to dodge them is not really that hard. Besides that, good Pit players don't spam arrows.

If people think Pit is cheap, then here's a suggestion. Get one of those people to play as Pit and play against a Pit player while that Pit player is using someone other than Pit. They'd try to spam arrows and all that fancy stuff, only to see that they still lose.

Some people complain about Pit, but I don't make a big fuss about Snake's jab combo and Ftilt, MK's recovery move, Pikachu's Dsmash, or Olimar's grab.

O.M.E.G.A

Smash Cadet
Non-Pit players complain that Pit has a cheap recovery move. They're quite wrong, because his greatest recovery move is also his greatest flaw. I mean, hello? You CAN attack me while I'm using WoI, and when you hit me, I'll fall to my doom 99% of the time while I'm trying to recover. If people are complaining that Pit has an unfair recovery, than it's their fault for not taking advantage of the downside of Pit's WoI.

They also fail to understand that aiming arrows is harder said than done when your opponent is in the air. Arrow looping is more difficult in WiFi matches than in offline matches. I wonder if they realize that shielding, rolling around, sidestepping, or jumping over the arrows to dodge them is not really that hard. Besides that, good Pit players don't spam arrows.

If people think Pit is cheap, then here's a suggestion. Get one of those people to play as Pit and play against a Pit player while that Pit player is using someone other than Pit. They'd try to spam arrows and all that fancy stuff, only to see that they still lose.

Some people complain about Pit, but I don't make a big fuss about Snake's jab combo and Ftilt, MK's recovery move, Pikachu's Dsmash, or Olimar's grab.
Do you make a little fuss? :3
That seems like a great idea. I have to try getting my crying friend to use pit and he will see how hard he is.

acv

Smash Journeyman
Pit isn't cheap. Chaingrabbing pit so the match is one sided is cheap.
no its not.

anyways if people say your character is cheap or broken you have two options

1)tell them its not your fault and show them that they are wrong

2)tell them they suck at the game and flame them.

O.M.E.G.A

Smash Cadet
no its not.

anyways if people say your character is cheap or broken you have two options

1)tell them its not your fault and show them that they are wrong

2)tell them they suck at the game and flame them.
personally, I prefer the second option

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
This is coming from a Fox main (but Pit's used just as much!), so pardon me if I sound stupid/uneducated.
So, let's get hypothetical. Let's say one day we're flooded with nothing but hate comments (moreso than we already are). What do we have to say in our defense, other than "learn to work around it"? Also, what do you say when/if told that our main is "broken" and "cheap"? (granted, of course, most of these comments come from immature, uninformed and unskillful players)
No Johns.

Seriously, though, I think we should send them back to their main's board and ask for advice on matches versus Pit, just like Meta Knight or Snake mains should to their haters. Keep playing against a Pit on their level until they effectively find a way to work around Pit's attacks. Study tournament matches. Get a pro's opinion.

Heck, if we could get anybody with respect around here to say "____ is not cheap," the hate comments would stop. x3

personally, I prefer the second option
Personally, I prefer the air.

/fail

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I can respect a non spammy Pit. I played one about two days ago, and it wasn't as boring as the spammy Pits I've played (and I've played ALOT of them).

But yeah, if you've ever played a spammy Pit I'm sure you understand how annoying, boring, and tedious it is.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
OMG

PIT REFLECTS AURA SPHERE.

BROKEN. >=

But seriously, Pit has a stupid learning curve. He's a great character, and only broken in the sense that we have no idea how the hell he got past bug testing.

O.M.E.G.A

Smash Cadet
This is coming from a Fox main (but Pit's used just as much!), so pardon me if I sound stupid/uneducated.

No Johns.

Seriously, though, I think we should send them back to their main's board and ask for advice on matches versus Pit, just like Meta Knight or Snake mains should to their haters. Keep playing against a Pit on their level until they effectively find a way to work around Pit's attacks. Study tournament matches. Get a pro's opinion.

Heck, if we could get anybody with respect around here to say "____ is not cheap," the hate comments would stop. x3

Personally, I prefer the air.

/fail
I'm fail?

And, personally I prefer Bel-Air

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Pit is not cheap -_-. He just has more than the normal amount of AT's a character would have... And also, the reflectors aren't instant so timing is more required in Pit's reflectors compared to another character's reflector.

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
hahaha, broken? far from it....it takes a lot of skill to become a good Pit. And even at top level play I still don't consider him up there with Meta Knight or Snake. At best Pit is the annoying smasher out there. He actually requires people to use their character's full potential to beat him. You have to find a way past his arrows, you can't just projectile him all day since he has reflectors and his quick attacks mean your always gonna be on your feet. He's not broken, he just requires someone to actually find a strategy to beat him(outside of the ones they've already developed)...fancy that.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I dont see Pit being cheap by all means. He's just a cool and cute young angel that has a lot of Adv. Tech, more than any other char, because of his moves and versatility.
Ppl usually look at Pit's strengths, and not his weaknesses, then they start complaining about these following things, and under them are my responses:

1: He has that annoying spammable aimable projectile!

His projectile is one that I vote best for mindgames, with the arrow looping and arrow rain and all, but it is easier said than done. I have much experience with this so... It is my favorite projectile in the game. It may be spammable, but look at Falco's blaster and then come back and say which is more annoying.

2: He has not one but 2 reflectors!

Normally the average noob would know that the Mirror Shield (hince the name) is a reflector. They will eventually realize that the Angel Ring is a reflector too with different properties than the Mirror Shield. While Fox's reflector protects him at a 360-degree angle, Pit is only protected in front of him. Angel ring does damage and reflects at the same time, and Mirror Shield reflects projectiles and blocks attacks in front of Pit at the same time. Too bad those who complain usually dont know how to get past them.

3: He can freakin Glide!

He gots wings... So, he's supposed to glide. You dont see ppl complaining about Meta Knight gliding with his bat wings now dont you? Note that Pit does fly faster than the other 2 gliders.

4: His Recovery move is like Godly

That is where I get annoyed,,, The idiots complain about this recovery move and its greatness and dont know the major flaw of it. Just make him flinch while he's using it and he cant use it (or his jumps) anymore til he grabs the ledge or hits the ground. Even something as simple as Bowser's fire breath can negate the wings, or even another Pit's arrow. They need to think before complaining, and if you cant be smart enough to intercept Pit while he does the Up-B, then something is wrong with you.

5: His moves are too strong

The 3 strongest moves he has is the Sweetspotted B-air, then the Glide attack, then the Fsmash, but they wont even kill until you make it at about 100% for the Sweetspotted B-air, 110% for the Glide attack, and 120% for the Fsmash. Note that these number are not exact.

6: He racks up damage so fast

Prior to number 5, Pit does not have strong attacks, but to make up for that, his moves and possible combos can help rack up damage quickly usually from the moves with Multiple hits, like U-air, Fsmash, Rapid A, maybe the Angel Ring if the opponent is too stupid not to DI outta it. His multiple jumps and various attacks make him have good airgame, which is a good thing for Pit.
Now look at Meta Knight, he racks up damage fast too, and he's pretty much a Faster and lighter Pit without projectiles or reflectors... and Angel Wings.

7: He is so freakin hard to kill, that it seems like he's harder to KO than Bowser!

It depends on how you look at it. Pit is a Mediumweight, the Medium of mediums, and Bowser is just well... Heavy. What Bowser lacks is the great recovery move that Pit has. That is one of the factors that allows Pit to stay into battle longer.
If you are a noobish spammer, that constantly spams your smashes or other attakcs, you'd be stupid not to know about the stale moves penalty, thus weakening the Knockback and Power of your moves, allowing Pit (or any other char for that matter) to last longer.
Prior to number 4, Pit's flaw in his Up-B... I dont need to say more about it.

8: He spams that Side B and arrows so much!

Then play a good Pit and not a spamming one, stupid! If you cant find one, then look for one!

It makes me pretty mad when Pit is called cheap, because he isnt, Snake and Meta, however (even though I also use Meta), are cheap, or maybe just top tier, but who cares about useless tiers! Use whoever you feel like, and while I admire Pit, Bowser, and Meta, you use whoever you want, even though some losers would just use Meta or Snake and spam with them because they are Top tier...
Snake for his overpowered attacks, some of which have too much range, like U-tilt, It seems so much stronger than Bowser's U-smash. Him being able to be a cowardly camper, of which a Pit can shoot arrows at and reflect his projectiles at will
Meta Knight for his high priority attacks with range, some with Power, the Tornado which blocks many moves and projectiles, and he's pretty much spammable, like the Dsmash.

Ok I got off topic, so back to Pit. His playstyle is unique, and he may be easy to use, via noob spammers, but hard to master, for you have a lot of Adv. Tech to learn (you dont have to use them, but they may improve your gameplay like me and Arrow loop and Arrow Rain), being able to do some combos, and other things.
There are other good Pit players besides me aroung here that have a lot of knowledge about Pit and his greatness, so go to them if you want their good opinions. And if you still complain about Pit and call him cheap then... well I'm going to quote Pit on this one...

"You're not ready yet!"

O.M.E.G.A

Smash Cadet
I dont see Pit being cheap by all means. He's just a cool and cute young angel that has a lot of Adv. Tech, more than any other char, because of his moves and versatility.
Ppl usually look at Pit's strengths, and not his weaknesses, then they start complaining about these following things, and under them are my responses:

1: He has that annoying spammable aimable projectile!

His projectile is one that I vote best for mindgames, with the arrow looping and arrow rain and all, but it is easier said than done. I have much experience with this so... It is my favorite projectile in the game. It may be spammable, but look at Falco's blaster and then come back and say which is more annoying.

2: He has not one but 2 reflectors!

Normally the average noob would know that the Mirror Shield (hince the name) is a reflector. They will eventually realize that the Angel Ring is a reflector too with different properties than the Mirror Shield. While Fox's reflector protects him at a 360-degree angle, Pit is only protected in front of him. Angel ring does damage and reflects at the same time, and Mirror Shield reflects projectiles and blocks attacks in front of Pit at the same time. Too bad those who complain usually dont know how to get past them.

3: He can freakin Glide!

He gots wings... So, he's supposed to glide. You dont see ppl complaining about Meta Knight gliding with his bat wings now dont you? Note that Pit does fly faster than the other 2 gliders.

4: His Recovery move is like Godly

That is where I get annoyed,,, The idiots complain about this recovery move and its greatness and dont know the major flaw of it. Just make him flinch while he's using it and he cant use it (or his jumps) anymore til he grabs the ledge or hits the ground. Even something as simple as Bowser's fire breath can negate the wings, or even another Pit's arrow. They need to think before complaining, and if you cant be smart enough to intercept Pit while he does the Up-B, then something is wrong with you.

5: His moves are too strong

The 3 strongest moves he has is the Sweetspotted B-air, then the Glide attack, then the Fsmash, but they wont even kill until you make it at about 100% for the Sweetspotted B-air, 110% for the Glide attack, and 120% for the Fsmash. Note that these number are not exact.

6: He racks up damage so fast

Prior to number 5, Pit does not have strong attacks, but to make up for that, his moves and possible combos can help rack up damage quickly usually from the moves with Multiple hits, like U-air, Fsmash, Rapid A, maybe the Angel Ring if the opponent is too stupid not to DI outta it. His multiple jumps and various attacks make him have good airgame, which is a good thing for Pit.
Now look at Meta Knight, he racks up damage fast too, and he's pretty much a Faster and lighter Pit without projectiles or reflectors... and Angel Wings.

7: He is so freakin hard to kill, that it seems like he's harder to KO than Bowser!

It depends on how you look at it. Pit is a Mediumweight, the Medium of mediums, and Bowser is just well... Heavy. What Bowser lacks is the great recovery move that Pit has. That is one of the factors that allows Pit to stay into battle longer.
If you are a noobish spammer, that constantly spams your smashes or other attakcs, you'd be stupid not to know about the stale moves penalty, thus weakening the Knockback and Power of your moves, allowing Pit (or any other char for that matter) to last longer.
Prior to number 4, Pit's flaw in his Up-B... I dont need to say more about it.

8: He spams that Side B and arrows so much!

Then play a good Pit and not a spamming one, stupid! If you cant find one, then look for one!

It makes me pretty mad when Pit is called cheap, because he isnt, Snake and Meta, however (even though I also use Meta), are cheap, or maybe just top tier, but who cares about useless tiers! Use whoever you feel like, and while I admire Pit, Bowser, and Meta, you use whoever you want, even though some losers would just use Meta or Snake and spam with them because they are Top tier...
Snake for his overpowered attacks, some of which have too much range, like U-tilt, It seems so much stronger than Bowser's U-smash. Him being able to be a cowardly camper, of which a Pit can shoot arrows at and reflect his projectiles at will
Meta Knight for his high priority attacks with range, some with Power, the Tornado which blocks many moves and projectiles, and he's pretty much spammable, like the Dsmash.

Ok I got off topic, so back to Pit. His playstyle is unique, and he may be easy to use, via noob spammers, but hard to master, for you have a lot of Adv. Tech to learn (you dont have to use them, but they may improve your gameplay like me and Arrow loop and Arrow Rain), being able to do some combos, and other things.
There are other good Pit players besides me aroung here that have a lot of knowledge about Pit and his greatness, so go to them if you want their good opinions. And if you still complain about Pit and call him cheap then... well I'm going to quote Pit on this one...

"You're not ready yet!"
I disagree with everything you did not just say.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
I can respect a non spammy Pit. I played one about two days ago, and it wasn't as boring as the spammy Pits I've played (and I've played ALOT of them).

But yeah, if you've ever played a spammy Pit I'm sure you understand how annoying, boring, and tedious it is.
not really pit can avoid spam pretty easy so it never really bothers me, but if you really want the most annoying matchup in brawl... trying being ganondorf against a laser spamming Falco on final D haha it will make you want to kill yourself

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I don't understand this thread correct me if i'm wrong, I hope/think I might be, but isn't this just Pit players *****ing about other players *****ing about us playing Pit? It has no point or value to it all it is, is a bunch of people on one side saying that the other side is wrong and repeating the same reasons why over and over again.

NxC

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand this thread correct me if i'm wrong, I hope/think I might be, but isn't this just Pit players *****ing about other players *****ing about us playing Pit? It has no point or value to it all it is, is a bunch of people on one side saying that the other side is wrong and repeating the same reasons why over and over again.
This thread is about counter-arguments for people who ***** about Pit. Instead of *****ing about people *****ing, this thread is designed to DO something about it.

On that note, excellent post, Admiral Bowser.

kupo15

Smash Hero
If you fight a good knowledgeable smasher, they will recognize your skill and wont john about it. Unfortunately, I think that no matter how skilled you are with pit or how much anti stereotypical your pit is, ppl will always think he is cheap.

If ppl think he takes no skill or w/e, then idk, maybe mirror match him right there and pwn him to prove him wrong. There isnt much else to say that hasn't been said.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Maybe we should stop posting in this thread. It seems to be causing us to look down at our favorite character... This happened in the Game and Watch forums when some guy posted a thread called "Game and Watch isn't broken." That thread was so anti-game and watch since all the players started to look at his worse side.... I don't think this is going to help posting more about Pit this way when we could be finding new AT's for him and not thinking about how hard it is to beat people with Pit.

O.M.E.G.A

Smash Cadet
Maybe we should stop posting in this thread. It seems to be causing us to look down at our favorite character... This happened in the Game and Watch forums when some guy posted a thread called "Game and Watch isn't broken." That thread was so anti-game and watch since all the players started to look at his worse side.... I don't think this is going to help posting more about Pit this way when we could be finding new AT's for him and not thinking about how hard it is to beat people with Pit.
That will never happen to us. Everyone here mains or seconds pit.

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Even though this isn't the point of the topic, you may want to watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltqgP-Xgceg

If everyone agrees, this can be a new start for the topic.

kupo15

Smash Hero
But pit has no flaws yet I have said he stinks :p A bit contradictory. Actually, that may be why I have been doing better lately now that I think about it. I recognized all of the bad parts of his game. haha

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
WOW, that video was...different... compared to what I was expecting. I just don't want to make myself look at Pit at a darker perspective and cause myself to stop playing him... Oh well, I'll just have to try to do the best with Pit...

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I think this could be a great thread now, after watching that vid and if we go twards talking about over coming our weaknesses and how to turn them to strengths. We all try to do that but an open discussion about it could help it move faster for everyone.

Here are some of Pits flaws that I come across:

-No vertical KO power. except for a well timed up air or a dair if you can do it with out getting hit.

A falling dair as you land could help here then jump up after and us up air or another move for the kill as dair can knock them up high.

-No real KO moves in gereral. Your bair is your best kill move (as we have said time and time again) it can kill fast and easy the real problem with it is bair is probably the hardest move to hit with for most of the cast, and you have to ping it for its KO power and that just makes it harder to do. If you are hopping at someone with your back to them they know what you are doing.

The best way I over come this is with wingpivoting. Or a SH,Fair,WoI,Piv,Bair as that can throw them off.

-Bad DI, short jumps. Pit has bad DI compaired to many and although he is a multi jumper his jumps are smaller then the other multi jumpers to choose from.

So to help over come this you need to smash DI your heart out. Not much you can do about short jumps except use them to glide.

thats all I wanta put right now but disscuss.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
Uhm i guess he doesnt have very good vertical recovery without using WoI, the only advice i could give for that is when you do use WoI make sure you either hug the edge or try to juk them in the air haha... anyone got better idea though?

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
I don't know hat responses to come up with but...

Teach them to play with DK, DDD, MK, or Snake, and they should stop whining if they are good. Why?

1. DK can take forever for Pit to KO without gimp on big stages, and down b and ftilt outrange him, and DK can cancel arrows with various moves.

2. King DDD also has the range thing, and though I'd say Pit is a bad match up for him, he is one of those characters that can just jump offstage, gimp Pit, then come back.

3. Teach them to grenade drop or grenade sheild with Snake. Then they will complain about grabs...

4. MK...Just period......

But what to say to people that complain?

Mostly about angel ring, arrows, and reflectors?

L2SH? I dunno.

Everytime my friend loses to a character I play as and complains he is cheap, I show him tourney footage of the character either doing well or being owned (He told me DK was overpowered....wow.)

That might work.

Or maybe make an anti Pit guide? Knowing you're own weaknesses would be good, and them knowing yours in writing would help.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
Here are some of Pits flaws that I come across:

-No vertical KO power. except for a well timed up air or a dair if you can do it with out getting hit.

A falling dair as you land could help here then jump up after and us up air or another move for the kill as dair can knock them up high.
Falling dair isn't a good option. It has the most landing lag out of all of pits moves and if you use it while going down your almost definitely going to land in that lag. You can sh dair and not land in the lag but just don't dair when going down.

Also glide attack is a surprisingly good vertical ko move. A lot of pit users underestimate glide attack because there opponents have learned to beat it (various ways maybe shield grab, short hop back fair or counter are the most common I see). What pit's should use more of is just precisely spaced glides. If you space the glide attacks right and properly take advantage of the lagless slide then you can almost always get a hit if you win a simple mind game.

Also there was the suggestion to write an anti pit guide. Although it would be good for helping us see or weaknesses I don't like the idea of making it easier for my opponents to win by giving them a how to guide.

kupo15

Smash Hero
gojira345: Snake is nothing to worry about, really. lol

Ryanarius: Sometimes a falling Dair is your only option. If your confident that hit will connect, Id take the landing lag.
Yes the Glair has good vertical recovery and you right that ppl know how to beat it so its hard to connect with.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I ment higher up I should have said that, but ya you are right.

Ya your right we don't need a how to beat us thread.

Top Bottom