• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Tournament Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

asob4

Smash Champion
yes, yes i am lol

i've gotten worse at playing snakes for some reason
maybe you're just so burnt out on the match up it seems to be getting harder
i know that that's happened to me before
hiatus time?

Rocann

Smash Lord
no that's not it. maybe the fact that the mks have stopped just running into stupid stuff? they get a percent lead and just go to the other side of the map and fair at you over and over again and you can't do anything, that the top mks are getting ridiculously good at gimping, and olimar has no way to improve really

asob4

Smash Champion
camping is a problem :/
just toss tons hahah

well if they're getting better at gimping, you should be getting better at avoiding it, no?

noodles

Smash Champion
im pretty sure mk can cover like every option olimar has to recover

andy u should main snake

noodles

Smash Champion
omg get your wii hacked and download tatsunoko vs capcom. theres alot of broken **** though. if i were you id make money off brawl as long as possible. i hate the game but still play it so i can get money. -_- i need a job

asob4

Smash Champion
yes i am impossible :]

well, if 75% of people are using MK, would that not qualify for a ban?
and did you not say that MK will most likely be gone next year?
wouldn't that boost oli substantially?

i want SF4, but i'm poor
maybe i'll sell drugs or something

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll probably quit brawl for SFIV sometime in the near future. This game is getting lamer and lamer every time I play it.

asob4

Smash Champion
that's why the only time i usually play any more is at a tourney or the night before, so i won't get bored of it

RichBrown

Smash Master
I haven't played SF4 yet but it looks tight. As much gay **** as there is in Brawl tho I love the game too much ^_^

What happened with me and MK was I learned the general MK habits and started doing better, then the MKs learned my habits and found ways to counter it. It's like a pendulum of sorts.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
andyg: please just stop calling oli bd vs mk or stuff like that, if you quit him, thats fine with me, if its because you can't adapt strategies to beat the better mks, fine with me, but don't keep going on about how oli will never be able to beat mk eventually, its kinda annoying

and i will eat all your babies in sf4, yes, trust me, my cammy will do it

KBM

Smash Ace
Idk if we're still doing the actual tourney results, but here goes

Panhandle Smashfest: DBS Lost to a LVL 9 CPU Samus

I got second in doubles and singles, 10 teams in doubles, 20 people in singles, i can't remember each specific winning but i walked out with $69

Rocann

Smash Lord
andyg: please just stop calling oli bd vs mk or stuff like that, if you quit him, thats fine with me, if its because you can't adapt strategies to beat the better mks, fine with me, but don't keep going on about how oli will never be able to beat mk eventually, its kinda annoying
well aren't you on a high horse

obviously I have no problem beating some of the very best MKs, and I'd never completely quit olimar, but yeah... you should try actually playing one of the top 3 MKs (who I CAN STILL take games from) and see some of the stuff they do that if they were to just keep doing they would be almost literally impossible to hit. what's annoying is people who haven't even played that type of player trying to tell me that I'm getting worse at a matchup or something. maybe it's only blackwaltz who has noticed the same trend because we both live in the same meta knight infested area where it's easy to see how much harder it's getting. you can stay in denial until you play a good MK OFFLINE who shows you where this game is headed

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
well aren't you on a high horse

obviously I have no problem beating some of the very best MKs, and I'd never completely quit olimar, but yeah... you should try actually playing one of the top 3 MKs (who I CAN STILL take games from) and see some of the stuff they do that if they were to just keep doing they would be almost literally impossible to hit. what's annoying is people who haven't even played that type of player trying to tell me that I'm getting worse at a matchup or something. maybe it's only blackwaltz who has noticed the same trend because we both live in the same meta knight infested area where it's easy to see how much harder it's getting. you can stay in denial until you play a good MK OFFLINE who shows you where this game is headed
actually, you understand me wrong, im not saying i don't believe you that mks can do it, heck ive seen it even online sometimes(to a limited extent), and i will admit i don't know to what extent they can do it but im just saying, you basically make it sound like an impossible matchup now, with no way to counter it, instead of trying to find ways to actually counter it is what annoys me, and because of that you consider going to diddy(along with other reasons i know)im just saying, just because you can't or refuse to find a way to stop some of these"almost impossible to hit" strategies doesn't make them automatically imppossible, because i gaurantee there are ways to stop them

also, side note: i have fought a decent(not great, but decent mk) offline who tried some annoying stuff don't say im completely clueless to how this game is heading

edit: you say im on my high horse when in fact im not saying anything condescending, especially since you are basically saying how you have fought some of the best mks so you know that you are the master of knowing what can and can't be beat, so you know what, thatsd another annoying thing, you say im on my high horse when you brag and think everything you say is automatically right, actually, tell me whatthey fo, because i guarantee ive seen what they do before and know a way to counter it(unless its planking)

Rocann

Smash Lord
I'm playing diddy because he's more fun, not for any other reasons

and it's not an impossible matchup now. there's not a single MK I can't at least take games off. the problem is that the momentum right now is heavily in MK favor and I don't know when it's going to stop getting harder. he's oli's hardest matchup for sure

RichBrown

Smash Master
You seriously put MK over Peach or Luigi for hardest matchup?

Something important to remember is that if you are playing the top MKs constantly, they are also simultaneously learning the matchup as well. So the experience kinda cancels out.

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
I'm playing diddy because he's more fun, not for any other reasons

and it's not an impossible matchup now. there's not a single MK I can't at least take games off. the problem is that the momentum right now is heavily in MK favor and I don't know when it's going to stop getting harder. he's oli's hardest matchup for sure
I believe the hardest matchup honor would go to ROB....

Rocann

Smash Lord

edit: you say im on my high horse when in fact im not saying anything condescending, especially since you are basically saying how you have fought some of the best mks so you know that you are the master of knowing what can and can't be beat, so you know what, thatsd another annoying thing, you say im on my high horse when you brag and think everything you say is automatically right, actually, tell me whatthey fo, because i guarantee ive seen what they do before and know a way to counter it(unless its planking)
I'm not even gonna respond to all that except for that you can't argue to me that I don't have at least as much experience as you do. I've played all the good online MKs just the same, and then I've got more in-person experience by a bunch. I'm not bragging I'm trying to let you know what's going on. if I was bragging I wouldn't be going on about how in a while I'm not going to be able to beat any decent MKs with olimar

have you ever had anybody just run to the other side of the map and fair over and over and over and over, and then if you get anywhere near them either run away, use any one of two moves they can to keep you at bay (dtilt ftilt, either of those moves if you shield they can grab you by cancelling ftilt) and at any time if it looks like you're actually finally going to be able to grab, they bust out an invincible up B from the ground. as long as they keep throwing out attacks, you can't really do too much because they just knock us out of grab/outprioritize any sort of throw.

and if you figure out how to get through falling/rising over and over nair spam between you and the edge, let me know. because as long as they stay directly out of the way of your chain, you're not getting back without getting hit

Fino

Smash Master
Andy, we all understand the match-up is difficult, especially when you're playing the best; however, playing the best, you ever stop to think you might be getting predictable? Brawl is all about predict and punish.

Also fsmash > dtilt

To killersos: ROB is far far far from our worst match up. L2Olimar

~Fino

asob4

Smash Champion
have you ever had anybody just run to the other side of the map and fair over and over and over and over, and then if you get anywhere near them either run away, use any one of two moves they can to keep you at bay (dtilt ftilt, either of those moves if you shield they can grab you by cancelling ftilt) and at any time if it looks like you're actually finally going to be able to grab, they bust out an invincible up B from the ground. as long as they keep throwing out attacks, you can't really do too much because they just knock us out of grab/outprioritize any sort of throw.
yellow fsmash should be able to get through that, as well as a purple toss
yellow fair > MK fair
you shouldn't be trying to grab them unless you know you can get the grab on them.
if they upB and don't hit you, punish them with an uair or an usmash, or if you don't go for that just throw pikmin to be on the safe side
after you see the second hit of ftilt try to do something out of shield, they usually lag it so you have time to throw out an fsmash or a tilt even. don't try to grab, that's dumb and rookie-like.

i think it is far harder to beat a MK pressuring you constantly with floating dairs fairs and retreating intelligently with a tornado, completely voiding your offense and defense.
i have played some of the best MKs (albeit so cal, not M2K status) and this is what they do and it works great.

<3333

Rocann

Smash Lord
i think it is far harder to beat a MK pressuring you constantly with floating dairs fairs and retreating intelligently with a tornado, completely voiding your offense and defense.
i have played some of the best MKs (albeit so cal, not M2K status) and this is what they do and it works great.

<3333
that's what I'm saying, they don't really attack your shield ever, they just do that from far away until you approach (because you have to) and then switch to the high daircamp nado nonsense. no other character has the ability to completely shut down olimar's offense, so it's then about putting up a good defense, which like I said isn't too hard right now, but it's getting harder as they get smarter about it and figure out how to get through it while still protecting themselves from any "mindgame" offense or w/e. it'll never be an unwinnable matchup but it's just that it's getting way harder than even or whatever anybody ever thought it was, MK definitely has a big advantage, and his usage is still going up. so olimar tourney results aren't going to get any better :(

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
I'm not even gonna respond to all that except for that you can't argue to me that I don't have at least as much experience as you do. I've played all the good online MKs just the same, and then I've got more in-person experience by a bunch. I'm not bragging I'm trying to let you know what's going on. if I was bragging I wouldn't be going on about how in a while I'm not going to be able to beat any decent MKs with olimar

and if you figure out how to get through falling/rising over and over nair spam between you and the edge, let me know. because as long as they stay directly out of the way of your chain, you're not getting back without getting hit
for the first annoying strategy, get a purple, throw it at them and they have to do one of two things, get hit because if thrown slightly high it will go through and hit them which you can follow up with or they with sheild, then fastfall and quickly try to get a grabin, now if you don't have any purples i suggest running to them to lure out an attack then quickly pull a pivot grab, also, yellow fsmash should be able to go through ftilt, try those out some time and tell me how they work for you

edit: also, you should know how to punish up-b if they do it, just try to lure out up-b, shield it or roll then punish

for the second strategy, like i said, if its planking then idk and doing nairs of edge is pretty much what i mean, honestly, if they do that, just go to other side, get a judge to call that for planking because if its just shorthop nairing over edge then its basically planking, my only idea you might wanna try is dairing them because it should trade hits with nair OR if your risky you can super armor through nair if timed right and try fastfalled upair or nair and try to follow up, so try those out for strategy number 2 and tell me how they work out for you(like i said, this is the one thing i don't have a concrete strategy for)

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
for the first annoying strategy, get a purple, throw it at them and they have to do one of two things, get hit because if thrown slightly high it will go through and hit them which you can follow up with or they with sheild, then fastfall and quickly try to get a grabin, now if you don't have any purples i suggest running to them to lure out an attack then quickly pull a pivot grab, also, yellow fsmash should be able to go through ftilt, try those out some time and tell me how they work for you

edit: also, you should know how to punish up-b if they do it, just try to lure out up-b, shield it or roll then punish

for the second strategy, like i said, if its planking then idk and doing nairs of edge is pretty much what i mean, honestly, if they do that, just go to other side, get a judge to call that for planking because if its just shorthop nairing over edge then its basically planking, my only idea you might wanna try is dairing them because it should trade hits with nair OR if your risky you can super armor through nair if timed right and try fastfalled upair or nair and try to follow up, so try those out for strategy number 2 and tell me how they work out for you(like i said, this is the one thing i don't have a concrete strategy for)
PLEASE stop tying in bright green text. It hurts my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom