• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

** OLD ** Official Pikachu Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Wait when did I do wrong DI? There werent exactly many opportunities to momentum cancel kaylo...there was one tho when i got dsmash'd at high percent i couldve side b after the upair instead of jumping but oh well, I thought i was gonna survive it anyway...Also, I was pretty sure U had to DI to the side if hit by DDD's dsmash I always thought it had vertical knockback...
@4:05, you could have survived his dsmash if you'd DI'd into the corner, fastfalled a uair, and Skull Bashed (if necessary) afterwards. DDD's dsmash sends you upwards at an angle, but you DI'd too far to the left and ended up dying off the side.

I also got a second and third opinion on this, and one of them thinks that when you rolled to the left, you kept holding left, which resulted in really bad DI.

At the end of the match, if you'd DI'd his dtilt upwards, you could have momentum canceled (probably with just the fastfall uair) and survived that as well.

bigman40

Smash Master
Hey guys. Iv'e been working on my :pikachu: game recently. Here is a couple of games i recored. This is me VS my brother as ROB. This is a tough match up but i managed to win 2-1(the game I lost was game 1 and the video tape didn't record this one for some reason.). I think my pikachu could use some help, so tell me what should be adjusted to fix this.

Game1(Did not work)
Game2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MpYRt8F9g4
Game3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRWWtsxbSFk

I hope the links work
Alright! Time to see what you got! :) Also, I only had time to watch the first one.

First Stock:

• Okay opening, but I'd suggest cutting down a little on the spamming. You got to points where you had Tjolted in ROB's Ftilt range.

• Spotdodge to Fsmash. Spotdodge to Dsmash. Spotdodge to Fsmash. Stop that. You don't need to always spotdodge and then follow up with a smash. Really, don't make that habit form, cause good players will punish it after the realize what you're going to do.

• Learn to SH Dair. Much better way to pressure, and you don't get the lag from the Dair.

• Also, what's with the huge amount of thunders while near the ledge? he's not even close to you and you're doing about 3 thunders...

• 1:22 - 1:29 : Take your finger off the Cstick!! You devolved into a smash spammer.

• Use skullbash to sweetspot the ledge. That way you won't die like you did that easily.

2nd Stock:

• Cmon....You're going back into your same pattern of ledge play. Mix it up man. I shouldn't be able to do this, "Okay, I grabbed the ledge, I'm either gonna see a thunder, or I'ma see him DJ then FF a Dair onto me. If I try to knock him away from in the air, then he'll just charge a Fsmash at me." If I can sum up any part of your game, then you're getting predictable. Go out there and presure him with Uairs or something!

• 3:31 - 3:33 : I'm glad to see you using something else other than Usmash. However as soon as he landed on the ground, you devolved back to smash spamming.

• Like I sad before, if you're gonna use Dairs, then learn to autocancel them from a SH. Having all that lag is just asking to get punished.

• 3:56 : Don't use QAC like that. Don't. QAC is not meant to be used in his face. It's to appear in a place to continue placing pressure on your opponent or to run back to a safe spot.

• Getup option got you killed. Most getup options when you're at a high percentage is very slow and readable. Stall until they decide to back off, or QAC your way to the other side.

3rd Stock:

• Why would you Fair him when he's behind you and in a position to do big damage to you?

• Skull Bash is for sweetspotting the ledge. Learn to use it at better spos so you won't get punished (you didn't get punished that time, but against a better person, you'd get hurt bad for it).

• 4:45 - 4:47 : Good pressuring, however try using Fair instead of Dair to that you can combo it into other moves. Dair (as you've seen) placed the ROB away from you so that you couldn't combo.

Overall:

You need work on your core gameplay. I saw where you tried to use QAC yet you don't have the knowledge of effective pressure with Pika yet. Core gameplay is the fundamentals that EVERY PERSON MUST LEARN BEFORE THEY GO INTO TECHNICAL THINGS (by technical things, I mean the stuff that's not necessary to learn to know that you have great control over your character. You have you know when to make the right decisions cause you can't cover up weaknesses with technical things). Watch Anther, K Prime, King Yoshi, or any other good Pika, and you'll see that their core gameplay is solid enough to allow them to use the more technical stuff effectively.

• Cut down the smash spamming and Dair spamming. I counted 49 Smashes. 13 Dairs (none were autocanceled), and 12 Thunders.....Cmon man....WAAAAYYYY too much spamming.

• Stop the random spotdodging and rolling. You're only making the habit worse by doing it, and you need to learn to use them correctly.

• Work on your Core gameplay before you step into QAC or CGs. It's fine to learn to QAC to safety, but not for pressure like you were doing.

• Create an Off-stage game. Spamming Smashes, Dairs, and Thunders is not gonna cut it.

• Read some of the guides here, and then work on breaking those habits in training mode. Don't focus on winning much for the moment cause breaking habits is really hard.

And don't take this as if I wanted to make you feel bad or anything cause if the next person that posts is the same as you, I'll do the same thing. I'm a harder rater since I'm not gonna let small things slide. If I think something in your game can potentially hurt you, I will note it down. Now, if you have multiple problems, then I'll list the more fatal problems than the minor ones. Fatal problems should be worked on immediately cause they will make you lose matches much more often than minor problems.

:026:

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Hello guys I'd like to post some videos up soon but I wanted to first ask...Is it okay if I ask you to critique two minute replays?(some people in several boards take replays and post them on youtube for one another)
I don't have a video camera or a good digital camera to get the video that way..
...If so I'm looking forward to my future critiques, my pika needs work. Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if this is spam, I wasn't sure where to ask.

AfroPingas

Smash Cadet
I just got some vids recorded, I'll edit this post with them when they're uploaded :]
EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZc8CCCZC9U&feature=channel_page
Me (Pika) vs. Jens (snake) This was online with a decent connection 2 days after I started maining Pika. (I couldn't QAC xD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61zf8VKF69I&feature=channel_page
This was 4 days after I started maining Pika (today) Me (Pika (with a smecksy texture)) vs. Mikey (lolLink)
This match was really laggy so I had trouble with QACing and he SD'd alot lol

If you don't think this is worth qritiquing I can get some better matches.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Hello guys I'd like to post some videos up soon but I wanted to first ask...Is it okay if I ask you to critique two minute replays?(some people in several boards take replays and post them on youtube for one another)
I don't have a video camera or a good digital camera to get the video that way..
...If so I'm looking forward to my future critiques, my pika needs work. Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if this is spam, I wasn't sure where to ask.
We can take replay files. Just upload them into the forums some way and make sure you get the correct bin file or folder containing it. As long as you're correct on your part in getting the right file, some of us can just pop it into our SD and replay it. MAKE SURE YOU DOCUMENT ANY CODES THAT YOU USE FOR THE REPLAY... cuz if we replay it wrong, it'll freeze. Hope that helps.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvDu_1bDQOs&feature=channel_page Another one. This time against his snake.

EDIT: i should be waiting for all of them to be uploaded. Lol but im impatient. There are more....
Pretty solid. My biggest issue is first stock: you didn't go for the cypher-grab gimp. That would have been a quick stock. Your timing for thunder against snake's cypher recovery is a little off. For a non-wave-bouncing snake, try to master spacing so that snake will ALWAYS get hit/or damaged by thunder for every cypher recovery. You don't always have to hit snake while he's on the cypher--you could snipe his landings if you read him right. Snake is one of those char that have a hard time DI'ing during freefall. There are about 2-3 frames of vulnerability for anyone who lands even if they airdodge, and i feel that pika can take more advantage of that against snake as opposed to others >>> give him a Thunder 2 in the face.

If you ever face a wave-bouncing snake, come back again cuz that's a different story... lolz.

Otherwise, good pika game (against snake).

Edit: Oh man... SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST!!! T_T (i won't do it again)

lax guy5

Smash Journeyman
I just got some vids recorded, I'll edit this post with them when they're uploaded :]
EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZc8CCCZC9U&feature=channel_page
Me (Pika) vs. Jens (snake) This was online with a decent connection 2 days after I started maining Pika. (I couldn't QAC xD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61zf8VKF69I&feature=channel_page
This was 4 days after I started maining Pika (today) Me (Pika (with a smecksy texture)) vs. Mikey (lolLink)
This match was really laggy so I had trouble with QACing and he SD'd alot lol

If you don't think this is worth qritiquing I can get some better matches.
The good: You're really good at edge guarding, combos, and grabs! (Especially grabs)

The bad: You could definitely work using mor tjolts for spacing and momentum canceling. Also, try to anticipate when your opponent is going to hit you and shield it.

Other than that, a pretty good Pikachu.:)

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
I have a couple new videos for recording, their just friendlies and I was a bit off my game(obvious, stupid, scrubby mistakes) when I recorded these, but I wanted to get something critiqued so I could improve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5N5m8yqcGc snake(d12) smashville

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkrW4V0EXMM luigi(d12) delfino plaza

I know i need to work on my chaingrabs, i havn't perfect the buffered grab yet.

One thing I'm really struggling with is that when you QA through a character. the timing for the qac+jump+aerial+whatever is different because of the stun. Any tips for this would help me alot.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I have a couple new videos for recording, their just friendlies and I was a bit off my game(obvious, stupid, scrubby mistakes) when I recorded these, but I wanted to get something critiqued so I could improve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5N5m8yqcGc snake(d12) smashville

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkrW4V0EXMM luigi(d12) delfino plaza

I know i need to work on my chaingrabs, i havn't perfect the buffered grab yet.

One thing I'm really struggling with is that when you QA through a character. the timing for the qac+jump+aerial+whatever is different because of the stun. Any tips for this would help me alot.
Fairly good reflex's and good execution of attacks. Better than a scrub pika no doubt. Main thing, and you said you were kinda off your game these battle (so that may be why) was your choice of attacks at some points. First stock, you could have tried for an early cypher-grab gimp. Of course the snake was far away, but you can dashgrab him in the middle of the stage also so long as his air release is too far to grab the ledge (you'd be surprised how deep into the stage you can grab snake before he touches the ground and still gimp him). See if you can perfect gimp a snake for all 3 stocks if at all possible.

The other route is straight up killing him (I can personally only accomplish this early with thunder) early. F-smash is nice so long as it lands--apparently the snake saw through most of your f-smashes (almost blocked EVERY single attempt). Be sure to keep those player specific things in mind--if an opponent sees the f-smash coming every single time, it's time to switch it up. Try d-tilts--most of them would hit snake within that range, its about as fast in startup as f-smash and you can do about 2 d-tilts in the same time that it takes to do 1 f-smash. You can also slide sligihtly backwards which could mean the different between powershielding snake's f-tilt or not.

If there's a question of why d-tilt if snake could already hit you with f-tilt--i'd have to ask the same question for why there are so many f-smashes. I don't diss moves per se, only when at least 80% or a majority of the move is blocked in any 1 given stock. Go for f-smashes if you can get them to hit by charging or changing up your spacing or timing. Whatever works for you cuz your reflex's are pretty good and you are a capable pika.

I find that f-smashing while snake is landing (if you can't grab-gimp him) is a good juggler--the 2 sweetspots for f-smash are good: 1 for horizontal reset (grab-gimp oppurtunity) 1 for vertical reset (thunder oppurtunity). You'd have to hit him in the 2-3 frames of landing vulnerability but it's well worth it.

If you got spacing and timing down perfectly, then thunder is a BETTER ankle sweeping (while snake is landing) move. Good horizontal knockback and it uses snake's bad DI against him (most people instinctively DI away if they are about to get hit by a thunder... if you time the boom perfectly, they go sideways along with their DI). Even if they DI correctly, they have a chance of getting owned because if your lightning rod version of thunder accidently (or deliberately... hehehe :D) hits him, nearly straight up trajectory if they DI correctly for the blast version of thunder. Chase and finish him up high with another thunder and that's game.

Another use of thunder if you got timing and spacing down perfectly is spacing yourself in the air (when snake is high cypher-recovering) in a way that you are sorta under him. That way if you thunder, he'll have to airdodge to avoid most/all of it, but even if he does, the BOOM part of thunder hits him no matter where he DI's and he'll most likely die (if DI's wrong) at 80'ish damage fresh. If YOUR timing is PERFECT, then you could set this up like 80% of the time guarenteed. The other 20% is like the few situational stuff that happens (not high recovery, opponent deliberately takes a thunder with correct, takes a c-4 recovery instead, or luck). Most of the 20% stuff is so rare, that you can count on nailing the snake all the time. It's possible cuz I got a lot with this move; many of them all 3 stocks like 2 matches in a row. Look at stealth raptor and other pika's for consistent thunder setups.

Good grab gimp in the end nonetheless. Be sure to follow up after that grab release because there's a small chance (greater on other stages besides smashville) that he can execute the c-4 recovery. Better snakes know the buffer and DI to nail it every time, so practice the following up motion for the better ones you'll face in the future.

Good game, nice gimp, good attempts, good reflex's. Pure experimentation is like the only thing left to do for you--few new pika's reach that point so fast.

Sincerely,
LDPK, legendary pikachu

PS. I luv t-jolts too much to complain about any spamming. I do stupid t-jolts, and good t-jolts regardless of victory.... i luv 'em to much! (don't be like me unless you want to).

DISCLAIMER ON ALL MY SNAKE INFO: Disregard all my tips against wave-bouncing snakes cuz they'll OWN YOU.... lol just kidding (well.... half-kidding). If you ever need help against wave-bouncing snakes, just come back with more vids and I or other pika's will help... :D

Frio

Smash Champion

gallax

Smash Hero
@frio- really liked the way you played the snake your first two stocks. when you died you got reckless though and im sure you realized that. remember that we play to damage and not to kill as pika. let him get to 200% by tjolting him if you have to. just dont approach unless you see an opening. remember than you can always nair oos. also, qac>uair>nair gets snake off the stage very nice. also, cg snake to the edge Always and then either use a nair/usmash or continue the cg if possible.

one thing that i saw was that you didnt grab snake out of his cypher and that you always let him grab the ledge. if you see snake is going for the ledge, grab it and let him cypher. free hit when the snake cyphers.

against gaw- you needed to tolt more when the gaw was in the air. idk what else to say other than you need to learn gaw's openings.

gallax

Smash Hero
ok your vid is nice. i like some stuff and not other. the main thing though is the wario you were playing. not a very good wario from what i saw.

also, use more dair against wario. more critique to come.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
The wario is my brother, he hasn't played any character half as long as I've played pikachu. He's sort of character hopping. Still, I don't mind, as it means I get some varied matchup experience...

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
ok your vid is nice. i like some stuff and not other. the main thing though is the wario you were playing. not a very good wario from what i saw.

also, use more dair against wario. more critique to come.
Speaking of wario's, I just was wondering if anyone has any tips about the question I posted previously on the page before this one about my grand finals match with a wario. ^^^

I don't know if anyone was working on a critique yet for me.... T_T

:D

gallax

Smash Hero
yeah when i get some free time here in about an hour ill watch bopth your vids and crique more.

LDPK:

ok i watched you vid where you played agaisnt the wario. first thing i wanna say is that we have very similar playstyle. next thing that i want to say is that you space wario really well in the air. very nicely done.

now this i really picking it apart cuz really, that the only way im gonna get any critque out of it. overall you played an A game. one thing you may want to work on that may help you against wario is not letting him control the pace of the game. when i say this he was mostly letting you do all the work and try to let you mess up. you did wonderfully in not messing up most of the tme,but then you may have a day where you do mess up cuz your fingers arent working. when that happens try and pressure the wario.

another thing is try to never land in front of wario. as soon as you hit the floor he uses his fsmash for a free hit. i know saying dont get hit by warios fsmash is kinda stupid since its super good, but just try to stay a certaing distance always when ladning near wario.

other than that you did really well. you dair'd nicely above the wario. DI away nicely when you needed. and your qac never left you open except maybe once or twice. you probably already know these things though. wario is a tough MU.

Roller

Smash Legend
Nicholas, as was already said, that wario doesn't look so hot. I'd try to get a vid up vs a player more skilled with the character he is using if you want more helpful critique.

I've only watched the first stock as of now and from what I can see I have one main piece of advice. Almost every hit he had on you could have been avoided if you had done one of 2 things.

1) not attacked so cavalierly with moves that cause a lot of ending lag. He got a number of hits on you which could have been avoided if you had either not used something like sideB at an inappropriate time, (shouldn't be used for anything other than recovery 95% of the time) or used a move like Dair but at the right frame so that you don't get so much landing lag.

2) Spacing. Work on it. A lot of his hits were because you lagged inside of his hitbox, always try to stay a little farther out when trying to poke through at him.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
phaMR2's tourney active :D

We've played doubles together a few times, in all tournies so far we went 2-2, mostly losing to people on SoCal's Power Rankings, or close to it.. We had a few close sets vs. MikeHAZE/Havok 2 tournaments ago ^^

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4MQNbnZN0E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-nW4dcCA_U&feature=related

its been a long time since ive played brawl, and this is the first time someone has recorded me playing. id like to get opinions of the community to see what im doing wrong, and what i can do to improve on consistency of winning with pika.

be as brutal and real as possible please. =)
For the most part, not the newbiest pika most definitely--you got good reflexes and can quick attack cancel without getting killed the first 3 times. Props.

The brutality that you wanted:

1) ALL your kills came from a straight-dash u-smash or u-smash to thunder. That battle against the DK, the results were good, dont get me wrong the thundergimps were not bad at all, but against more experienced and patient opponents, they'll see it coming a mile away. If not, they'll only let you get in one u-smash every 3 stocks if they're good. People can crazy DI the u-smash real good at top level play to the point you almost cannot do the thunder followup anymore. Remember to switch things up (even if you are doing well, try different things in friendlies cuz that's the time to experiment). Especially on a stage like Jungle Japes where it has the highest ceiling, against crazy-good people, don't expect to get "as many" thunder star KO's.

2) Maybe more tilts. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it does make a difference in your opponents reading you. Plus some of the tilts are WAY better in various situations. U-tilt can be a good u-smash replacement at near 100% damage cuz it has almost as good of knockback when fresh (and for you, it will be fresh most of the time) and its a ton harder to DI the thunder after that. You just can't straight up dash-u-tilt--you need to space it correctly. I use f-tilts to nab people while their about to land from the air after burning their second jump--it has horizontal knockback and good range and is fast enough to allow pika to follow the opponent for gimping and other stuff. Jabs and d-tilt work somewhat well on more spot-dodgy and shield grabbing people. Try 'em and see how you like 'em.

3) Work on your t-jolts a lil if you are t-jolting more. After like the 3rd one, you really should be ready for the opponent to start charging in like a mad bul (so try doing an "empty jump" on the supposedly 3rd or so t-jolt and responding with an attack if they do attempt to rush). More importantly, some characters can jump up and straight-up kick you or (marth) slash you AND your t-jolt at the same time and that puts you into a tight spacing situation and will mess up the purpose of t-jolt in the first place (damage lead/shield damage).

4) 2 points that sorta annoyed me (not in a bad way tho :D).
--Battlefield match: @2:17 > You could have so gone from thunder to n-air followup. It may not have been stealth's epic Thunair, but it probably would have stage spiked the DK real good at that point, ending the match like 1 full minute earlier. Remember, that situation and spacing is like pure gravy for any of us pika's and especially for Stealthraptor for an good gimp--take advantage of it ALL the time.
--Jungle Japes match: DIDN'T momentum cancel (u-air > skull bash uncharged towards stage) one of the hits (you did lots of b-airs instead). You lived through that smash, but if it would have been a lil stronger, you'd probably be dead. Try getting used to momemtum cancelling even possibly non-lethal smashes during friendlies or first-rounds so you build the reflexes for it when it really counts against the PR's.

Despite that, I know very few pikas in my area that can pull off that MANY thundergimps (as suprising as it is) in a row with constistency against any one kind of player. That's a good sign of skill. You did well, and the DK was not the worst (tho not the absolute best DK either). Props and I'm lookin forward to your future success!

phaMR2

Smash Apprentice
ldpk, first off, thanks for taking the time to critique. ^^

the running up smash thing is a stupid habit of mine. actually, i find myself either running up smash or grabbing a lot, which most of my friends punish me for. from what they told me, and you reinforcing what they said, im too predictable. ive been working on just staying "random", but old habits die hard. =( ive also been working on tilting more to mix things up, so at least im headed in the right direction.

the only thing i didnt get was the "thunair" you speak off @ 2:17. did you mean i shouldve nair as soon as the thunder animation finished?

Roller

Smash Legend
the only thing i didnt get was the "thunair" you speak off @ 2:17. did you mean i shouldve nair as soon as the thunder animation finished?
Actually, for a "thunair" You Nair DURING the thunder animation, so WHILE they are getting hit by thunder, they get naired. It is situational though, Stealth is the resident expert on it.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Can't find anyone with a capture card. ;__;

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Bigman and Espy are usually willing to record vids for me when they have time. You could try asking one of them.

They're gentlemen. They can't turn down a lady in distress!

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Nicholas, as was already said, that wario doesn't look so hot. I'd try to get a vid up vs a player more skilled with the character he is using if you want more helpful critique.
Sigh... unless you guys know someone better with a lagless wi-fi connection, I'm sort of stuck here. :(

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Sigh... unless you guys know someone better with a lagless wi-fi connection, I'm sort of stuck here. :(
I just recently got a better wifi connection (tho not perfect), I specialize in reading so that'll make me "feel" like a more lifelike opponent (reading a move that will already have happened... lol) and can do a pretty good wario (random is my secondary). You know my brawl code (look up my profile/sig/tag).

bigman40

Smash Master
VVVVV
Bigman and Espy are usually willing to record vids for me when they have time. You could try asking one of them.

They're gentlemen. They can't turn down a lady in distress!
Tru fax. I don't have any problem uploading videos since they don't take too long (unless I got like 108237198246792384 vids). If someone just asks me, I'll upload them.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I suck. Tips please.

Hai, my Pikachu is garbz and I'm bad at this game. Help me not suck so hard please. ^_^

(Also, no sound because Espy forgot. D:< JKs <3 Espy)

All of the vids are vs. Snake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiPD8vgAko4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_tbCzWwxT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoF4SJqk8Bw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEgdUAilExs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4kZbRX0Zgs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnUwbNt7CjY <--- Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd_gC7pOBpM

Kenrawr

Smash Master
All I can say is change your thunder placement or switch it up with aerials more often. I'm pretty sure the snake was able to predict most of them ;o

*epicly late edit* I'm talking about snake when he's recovering btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom