• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

** OLD ** Official Pikachu Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Epic critique time.... soon. Just letting you know it's on my to-do list.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Can anyone help me w/ recording shtuff so I can post it here and stop being a sucky pika?

gallax

Smash Hero
a habit that you have thats easily punishable is what you do when the opponent comes back after being killed. you stay at the edge then roll behind the opponent when they get near you. either stay where you are and shield or jump out of there or get to the edge. as pika i recommend getting to the edge.

Frio

Smash Champion
@ Nya~! :3

I'm not very good at Critiques and probally shouldn't be doing them =/ But I noticed you get punished a lot from headbutt's comming off stage.

Kantō

Smash Champion
yes i know its because i have still not mastered the QAC and mistakenly do the over B instead of an up B
i think that may be one of my biggest problems

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
yes i know its because i have still not mastered the QAC and mistakenly do the over B instead of an up B
i think that may be one of my biggest problems
I used to play Pika frequently. Although I can't think of anything right off the bat, I will say that if you're having trouble with QAC I suggest you change your controller configuration on the GC, or switch to the Wii/Chuck and make jump C-Pad down. QACing is a breeze with the Wii/Chuck (I know this for a fact, I use Wii/Chuck and I learned to use ground level QACs almost error-free in about 2 days, I still side B sometimes though XD)

Besides, I can critique you in person at your tourney, then I'll get a better idea of your playstyle :p.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
heys check my pika out! help me get better i need advice on how to improve my game i have two vids one of them got cut off though for some reason sry!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4UU4Wpoaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TbuLVORnXo&feature=channel

thanks guys:chuckle:
If you I'll give you the good, and the not-so-good run-down of what I saw you doing:

My diagnosis:

1) NOT the newbiest pika, most definitely.
2) You can wavebounce thunders; nice! remember that skill
3) You don't stay too long in one place and are agressive--thats a plus

1!) Your opponent is not a newb kirby, however, it does seem (judging just from the FOOTAGE... not sure whether it is still true now) that the kirby is very lacking in defensive skills.

2!) As a result, you CAN be very agressive and not get punished that much--even when you carelessly b-air/QaC barrage. In the videos, I did not observe many instances where you use complex defensive skills. The kirby did not punish much of your openings (when you used b-air and it did not autocancel, or when you missed a QaC), and because of that, you may not be able to handle tougher opponents that don't allow you to close in or attack so easily.

3!) Did you know that Kirby's b-air pretty much beats pika's QaC a majority of the time? If the kirby did more b-air spam and spaced right, your f-air/b-air/and QaC approach would be quickly shut down. Try to mix in some other stuff like tilts and aerial cancels so you STAY movin' all the time without landing lag.

4!) Work in some grab and u-tilt/f-air/u-air combos when you land a hit. Try setting a goal for yourself, trying to see how much damage you can rack on before the opponent gets away or hits you.

My prescription:

* Learn the matchups and teach your friend about Kirby's matchup and skills (refer him to smashboards/vids of Chudat).
* Watch videos
* Call someone out who's good and fight em' (lol.... no... you don't have to "call them out," but do try to fight better opponents every now and then (or let the Kirby player get better).
* Work on your defenses.

NOTE~ It's somewhat harder to critique a video where you win. Even if we critique, more often than not, the critiquee will not notice how crucial certain comments until they have more experience in the professional/tournament setting, and LOSE.

All in all, good pika with quick reflexes. Mix up your stuff and keep em' guessin'.

Peace.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
@ Nya~! :3

I'm not very good at Critiques and probally shouldn't be doing them =/ But I noticed you get punished a lot from headbutt's comming off stage.
I'll take any at this point. xD Yeah, I'm working on Skull Bashing less, thanks. :3

Kantō

Smash Champion
hey thanks legendary pikachu
i really appreicate the advice, i will work on my QAC and stop bair so much. its kinda hard to chain grab kirby to which leaves me with fewier options to work with to rack up damage. but i do like the down grab utilt thunder combo!!!
thanks again

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Sweet. I'll try to get back into critiquing again soon.... been busy lately, but there're a few vids I watched and wanted to write some stuff about.

Roller

Smash Legend
Aight. Bry. I. Have some critique. First of all. To all that Legendary Pikachu said. True story.

Next. Work on your QACing more if you find yourself screwing up as many times as you did with the Headbutts. You seem to be able to integrate it into your play well enough, just get your muscle memory down a little more.

Also. I am surprised nobody else mentioned this. When you grab someone. First of all, if you can't cg them, I'd advise 1 pummel first. But the main point. Work on comboing out of grabs. Use U-tilt or Uair, or both. Watch vids of other pikas, I'm sure you'll find like. 17 different things you can do out of a grab.

Hope that helps. A little. Somewhat. Maybe?

btw, only watched 1st vid. So if you do some of that in vid 2, ignore it.

Kantō

Smash Champion
Aight. Bry. I. Have some critique. First of all. To all that Legendary Pikachu said. True story.

Next. Work on your QACing more if you find yourself screwing up as many times as you did with the Headbutts. You seem to be able to integrate it into your play well enough, just get your muscle memory down a little more.

Also. I am surprised nobody else mentioned this. When you grab someone. First of all, if you can't cg them, I'd advise 1 pummel first. But the main point. Work on comboing out of grabs. Use U-tilt or Uair, or both. Watch vids of other pikas, I'm sure you'll find like. 17 different things you can do out of a grab.

Hope that helps. A little. Somewhat. Maybe?

btw, only watched 1st vid. So if you do some of that in vid 2, ignore it.
thanks a lot man, i like the advice. im working on getting some vids up now with all that ive learned here:chuckle:

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
Good game, nice gimp, good attempts, good reflex's. Pure experimentation is like the only thing left to do for you--few new pika's reach that point so fast.

Sincerely,
LDPK, legendary pikachu
I'm still grateful for the last critique ,and I'm asking for critique, rating, etc. etc. of my current pikachu/playstyle, again.

The videos are a bit less quality last time because I used my nice memory card for hacking my wii.... so in order to save footage on my camera I had to use a worse video format. At least I have some nice texture and music hacks. = D
So please try to excuse the horrid quality.
Just to be clear the hacks I have installed have no effect on gameplay/mechanics.
I need help against falco and gayman game-and-watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upTiQpIBBl4 This was my favorite friendly of the last 2 days. check out 1:54-1:57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6crExBxcPs ignis(falco)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwIwwdyNxOA ignis(falco)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8qNCp3moUA siege(gaw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s62pA26fnxA ignis(falco)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh67v4TEdjI ignis(falco)

Sorry I only fought 2 different characters, I will try to have more variety in the future.

I'm going to a tournament this weekend so wish me luck!

gallax

Smash Hero
Arikie:

watched your gaw match. you need to start using your dtilt more for spacing. and your friend also needs to use it more. gaw's dtilt is spammable. you kept running into smashes and after that you kept getting comboed in the air which tells me your DI needs work. when gaw is chasing you in the air DI away and try to get back to the ground. your ground game seems to be mostly solid. one thing that i would like to see more of is qac'ing into the ground to get around gaw's aerial attacks. if you watch a few of ninjalinks videos you can see an example of him qac down and into the ground a few times.

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
Arikie:

watched your gaw match. you need to start using your dtilt more for spacing. and your friend also needs to use it more. gaw's dtilt is spammable. you kept running into smashes and after that you kept getting comboed in the air which tells me your DI needs work. when gaw is chasing you in the air DI away and try to get back to the ground. your ground game seems to be mostly solid. one thing that i would like to see more of is qac'ing into the ground to get around gaw's aerial attacks. if you watch a few of ninjalinks videos you can see an example of him qac down and into the ground a few times.
Thanks, I will find some of his videos.

S.K.I.D

Smash Cadet
Rate my pikachu. im alot better then i was the last time iposted a rating up. the last one was pathetic.

BTW the textures own and the quality of these videos is so perfect your gonna be jealous.

unfourtnatly these games are against IC's and are not all that fun to watch. but w/e.

Yoshi's Island Time(4:06)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1qb9YehJIY

Smashville Time(6:30) lots of camping in this one.:bee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQQErErDneQ

BattleField Time(5:36)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqJhJh47gRo

also the vids are still prossesing so quality will be slightly worse for a few more hours or however long it takes.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
SKID, since no one's taken a look yet, I'll try to get to your vids soon.

Kyoshi, do you still want critique, or are you good for now? It's been a pretty long time since you posted those, but if you'd still like someone to look over them, I can get to yours too.

S.K.I.D

Smash Cadet
cool thanks

the order of goodness you should rate them in is this

1. battle field one
2. yoshis
3. smashville one

King~

Smash Champion

Kyoshi, do you still want critique, or are you good for now? It's been a pretty long time since you posted those, but if you'd still like someone to look over them, I can get to yours too.
umm i suppose, really now all im lookn for are thoughts on somethings
idk do whatever u feel like

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
EDIT:
yo i think i gotta an idea where i messed up at, but uh ill let u take a look

MU is impossible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ8kxHxoy7A&feature=channel_page
games 1 and 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw2bN6WURUg&feature=channel
Game 3(not sure why theres a quality drop)
Um... opinions you say? Okay... That Peach is pretty freakin solid. Reminds me of my matches agains Drk.Peach. Is it someone you regularly face? (i remember some1 in pika community fights a good peach daily... was that you?). If that is the case, then i guess you know the matchup (and person's style) better than any of us.

In my experiences against Drk. Peach in friendlies, once i got a hang of when he does hover/jump RAR, then I just run up REAL close and u-air/f-air (mostly mindgamed but that's my forte) when he jumps/hovers. Most of the time tho we still just trade hits (with me having more damage). I play attrition (damage racking) against Drk.Peach with major spam (that's still just my pref.) and finish with a mindgamed/lucky 'anything.' F-air is slower in starting up (not saying that it is SLOW by any means.. just slower) so I bet f-airs and u-airs against whenever the Peach jumps and tries f-air and really close range. I find Drk. Peach struggling a lil more with t-jolts that wrap around platforms (case and point: Battlefield and smashville). It narrows their height or makes their airdodges more predictable so you may be better spaced for approaching or the peach may flub the autocancel (which is always good). Have you tried facing a ton of Diddy's or Toon Link's? My brother little brother is an amazin' TL main and playing my whole brawl life with him makes catching turnips with f-airs/u-air/d-airs/and full hopped b-airs a LOT easier. The turnip catching is what makes camping even possible for me. Even still, if the peach just follows up she still has frame advantages here and there which sucks for me. As for a recovering peach, I try to nail them with offstage T2, which forces them to go lower. After that, i just hope/pray for a mindgamed thunderwall spike later on in the match.

There's my speil... I hope it was in the range of what you may be expecting or just wanting to hear--my opinion. Anyways, good matches (it is a rough MU--I also have personal experience). Hope that helps. :D

Okay.... On another note....

Although I kind of overhyped my video thread post, I do want some opinion on the videos where i lost. In the event that people notice me QaC'ing more than normal, its just me eagerly wanting an infinite setup *I am aware I need work in that area*.

I hope you enjoy the vids--they're quite epic and against my bro.

Thanks in advance...

EDIT #2: whoops... might help if i added the right links: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=8320476#post8320476 <<<Vids to critique are here!

King~

Smash Champion
naw its not me, this is only the second time weve played in tourney, however does play a pikachu pretty frequently(possibly better than me)

intresting point about the turnips, ive played enough diddies to know the whole item catching shindig(pika can catch bannas sooo easily). i suppose i was more afraid of what u mentioned about the frame advantge peach has if i catch the turnip. i did struggle a lil more when he setup camp with the turnips(IE: game 2 where he hit me with three turnips in row[also where i feel i lost the set])

TY ideas are flowing 8D

other opinons are welecome(basically i want foood for thought)

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
naw its not me, this is only the second time weve played in tourney, however does play a pikachu pretty frequently(possibly better than me)

intresting point about the turnips, ive played enough diddies to know the whole item catching shindig(pika can catch bannas sooo easily). i suppose i was more afraid of what u mentioned about the frame advantge peach has if i catch the turnip. i did struggle a lil more when he setup camp with the turnips(IE: game 2 where he hit me with three turnips in row[also where i feel i lost the set])

TY ideas are flowing 8D

other opinons are welecome(basically i want foood for thought)
Yea... I kinda saw that... AND the sword which also hit you... AND that freakin' BOB-Bomb (that you skillfully avoided)... lol. As for me, when I am at low damage I camp like crazy and run in only at the oppurtune moments (plucking turnip but within range of run-up grab/smash), since one whiff could mean a 40-60'ish tap-dance combo from peach. At middle range damage I try to be as close range (luig uppercut distance) as possible defending myself with spotdodges, d-smash, and full-hop b-airs whenever the peach starts getting a foothold (close range since farther away would prompt more turnips which hurt). At higher extremities, I often take the conservative approach in a tourney and camp/plank with t-jolts and T2.

By the way, if you don't have much qualms about planking (or dont mind being a jerk...j/k...lol), me and my peach sparring buddies almost fully agree that planking with Thunder offstage with decent spacing shuts off all of peachs options for outdamaging you (can't throw down if lightning wall is hovering above pika) and will lure them out for a gimp.

*BUMP* I just uploaded some epic vids, asking for critique and enjoyment above^^^.

S.K.I.D

Smash Cadet
like no one posts here, my vids have never been rated and if they finnaly do i will have improved or changed so much by then it will be almost meaningless

Kantō

Smash Champion
like no one posts here, my vids have never been rated and if they finnaly do i will have improved or changed so much by then it will be almost meaningless
haha these guys are just a lil busy, they will get around to it. i can checked out your vids though,
here some things i could see:

start short jumping more
spam more thunder jolts ( especially against IC)
you can fair into any smash almost immediatly which should be used often
check out the QAC guides and videos because you can string a lot of combos with these
also on other opponents pika chaingrabs are asweome,

but im sure you have better vids up by now as you said, id like to check those out too

Kantō

Smash Champion
well now im starting to think this a zombie thread...
oh well, not enough pikas out there i guess lol

bigman40

Smash Master
Sry guys. I've been super busy trying to stay up with my college work lately. I had to stop critiquing vids cause I didn't have the time to sit down for them. I can still try if you like, but I'm telling you now to not promise things to be super fast.

Kantō

Smash Champion
Sry guys. I've been super busy trying to stay up with my college work lately. I had to stop critiquing vids cause I didn't have the time to sit down for them. I can still try if you like, but I'm telling you now to not promise things to be super fast.
its not even that i want my persnal vids rated (witch i do:chuckle: ) but no one seems to posting any vids period

bigman40

Smash Master
its not even that i want my persnal vids rated (witch i do:chuckle: ) but no one seems to posting any vids period
Yeah. Alot of pikas aren't getting their matches recorded. It's just one of those times where people just don't have vids or are busy with other things. Idk.....soon it might have some spark when school times have settled down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom