• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

** OLD ** Official Pikachu Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
i love the pika peach match-up soo muchh
but what would you guys do? like personally if you faced a good peach?

and btw, how do you put a pic as your signature?

Kantō

Smash Champion
i face good peach's often, i get my *** kicked if i dont play right too. lol
she cant kill well, so rack up the damage and try to knock her out fast, chances are u can live longer that peach simply cuz she cant kill you as easily.

as for the siq question. go to your control panel and the click on edit signiture. copy and paste your pic there.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
As for my personal plan for the ROB matchup, I have gotten real good at fighitng robs in particular but i think its just because i read them better. Let's see if i can find particular examples of what to do.

Against their lasers and gyros I normally jump or double jump over them and airdodge back towards the ground or fast fall aerial or t-jolt back to the ground. I normally shield the gyros if their shot at me and not to zone a part of the ground, since the gyro disappears on shield. Most of the time, some ROBs shoot laser and then shoot gyro as you land from your first jump, so that'll be a good time to QaC for defense or attack.

F-air, f-tilt, d-tilt, and d-smash are the major melee moves that will cause trouble. Try to never be in range for a successful f-tilt (so either be too far and t-jolt/approach/aerial the guy, or too close so you can jab, smash, or grab the guy). D-smash has a weakness if you can fully shield it and are close enough. If you shield the d-smash and use d-smash yourself, it'll get most spotdodging happy ROBs. Also, once you get the timing right, you can actually DI out of ROB's dsmash if you do the quarter circle DI technique upwards at times--I actually did it like 5 times during my tourney matches against one of the better (but definitely not the best) ROB's at the tourney i went to. If you t-jolt too much expect powershields>f-tilts, or if you are within range he'll try to f-air you.

The main thing to do against ROBs is to assess what mode ROB is in and counter accordingly. F-air approaches by ROB's can be countered by rushing in and shielding>OoS aerials/smash (easier than marth's f-air at least since for some reason ROB's character sprite is 'closer' to pikachu during f-air) or double jumping and overpowering it from above (which actually works if the ROB Shorthops the f-air). D-tilts mostly come out of a spotdodging/shielding/airdodging ROB. D-tilt gives ROB the most advantage if you are hit by it (just retreat out of the area and come back in). D-tilt sort of gives rob repetative room to stop and do something else afterwards which is annoying. I normally bait ROB's away from d-tilting mode in any way I can--it could be simple as making them do laser/gyro/or f-air advance when I am t-jolting.

Typically, if you can work your powershield's well, the only thing that should get you are d-tilt and d-smash. I normally run in and shield a lot in the beginning of the fight between jolts to see if the ROB is a d-tilting one, f-tilting one, or a combination. Then from there either I approach from SH (if he's d-tilting), approach with sliding shield/SH-airdodge (f-tilting), or take some gambles and mix up the two before-mentioned approaches.

If you get ROB's up in the air, as in you knocked them up with u-tilt or u-air or sourspotted f-smash, KEEP THEM JUGGLED! That means after your setup, SH>pause and bait their airdodge>punish/u-air/snipe thier landing with any move that may continue to keep them airborne or one that deals good damage. Every time you land an low damage u-tilt or u-air, another well-timed move should ALWAYS land because ROB is just so big and somewhat floaty. Remember to wait out their airdodges most of the time. If they start spasmically f-air/n-air flail as they are landing, they tend to become more predictable whenever they land like that so just eventually shield it>u-smash/grab/u-air>more combos. If ROBs are high above you, spam thunder like crazy cuz they can't do SQUAT to land much faster or hit you from that hieght. You can also try to juggle them more with u-air at that height since their d-air has tons of lag.

Offstage, use thunders to force ROB's to recover low. Another thing to remember is that ROB's CANNOT AIRDODGE when they are doing their their up-b nor can they attack the MOMENT they start their up-b--THAT's A FREE HIT if you read it right. Most will probably start charging gyro, but an easy fix to that is wait low while they are charging it, and if they haven't shot it yet, full hop over the trajectory of the gyro (so that ROB will have to cancel it and rise in order for the gyro to even hit you)--that way you are above them, and they'll be forced to up-b eventually. You can then t-jolt from that height or dive down on them with n-air or d-air or ANYTHING (thunder ^_^) or any combo of the above with t-jolt for almost free. Even if the ROB pulls out an attack, the most likely thing will be n-air which you can easily punish after baiting it out first. Another thing... after ROBs up-b's, most will tap up continously to extend the time of up-b which sometimes slows down their inputting aerials (at least mentally). Also, most ROB's don't think of instantly attacking out of up-b (because they'll have to initiate it again afterwards which, if you avoided the first attack, makes ROB open for another free-ish attack).

It's in this matchup that the mastery of thunder plays a MAJOR helpful role. Rob's side-b is normally not fast enough to come out against a setup>thunder. Make sure you are not under your lightning rod just in case he reflects (but never pass and oppurunity to thunder if he's WAY up high). It'll force a habit into the ROB which you can take advantage of later (like on battlefield, you can DJ off a platform >n-air if ROB side-b's expecting a thunder instead, possibly killing him ^_^).

QaC is beautiful against ROB's and makes them dsmash frantically (which makes them more predictable) whenever you have a mastery of QaC. Some will try for f-air but QaC mastery involves QaC'ing away>t-jolts which counter f-airs, QaC'ing through if ROB is shielding for more t-jolts, and QaC'ing close>n-air/u-air if ROB starts shooting lasers and gyros.

I have learned that once i started to do more u-airs, u-tilts, OoS n-air/u-airs, and plain dash-grab/shieldgrab mindgames, the matchup got A LOT easier. It's the juggling and baiting that wins in this matchup (besides reading them real well).

One thing to watch out for are f-airs>airdodge>d-tilts at low damages cuz from the point blank airdodge, they can semi-dtilt lock you for a little bit. That's why i do far more aerials out of shield than grabs and smashes so much against certain ROBs. Play REAL agressive until you are barely OUT OF REACH of ROB's f-tilt, and then add in some jump>airdodge/DJ>fastfall/dash-shield/dash-shieldgrab mindgames whenever you cross that f-tilt boundary.

Remember to always sort of airdodge and save your second jump when sent flying away by ROB cuz they'll most likely laser snipe you one more time (which can sometimes kill depeding on situation/strength), and JUMP clear over lasers if you can't powershield them.

DI up whenever ROB grabs you cuz f-throw and b-throw can sometimes kill or set you up for a gimp if you DI it wrong. U-throw is the killing ROB throw, but you can easily change your DI (to sideways and away) once you see the u-throw slowly start (as opposed to f-throw and b-throw's quick animations).

Here are my most recent ROB fights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOSQJDKn1jc match 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW6_5j8meFc match 2

I hope that helps.... I tend to do more reading on ROBs more than olimars since ROB's killing moves are more telegraphed.

Kantō

Smash Champion
i think you legendary pika should write a book on the pika matchups and sell it! i would buy...

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
i think you legendary pika should write a book on the pika matchups and sell it! i would buy...
what the? lol....

Well, the thing is, my skill is in reading my opponents and overall if you ask anyone who is really good at it, it is based off of: 1) experience, 2) attention to detail, 3) intuition which is largely made up of the first 2, 4) (sharingan... lol.. j/k... you could be gifted tho ^_^), and 5) LUCK.

I am not really THAT gifted in brawl fighting per say--its more of reading (which is my REAL forte). Like, I'd probably suck and look really noobish in the first game, the next one--not so bad, and then so on so forth. So I learn pretty quick, and NC has this thing about me going around at NC PR's saying that, "LDPK... he's somethin' else. Give him 5 consecutive matches with anyone... if LDPK doesn't **** within those first 5 matches, then on the 6th one onwards he'll guarentee to give any opponent the fight of their life."

My matchup info is more like an ordered chain of thoughts i think when I am reading an opponent. So in terms of writing a book (lol... i guess i could try ^_^--LDPK's compendium secrets...lol), i won't have ANYTHING to say if i've never fought a good player in that character category--i can't even guess, cuz I am pretty much ALL about reading (rock-paper-scissors type... like if i was Capt. Falcon... im the type to attempt just kneeing and b-ing the whole match and be convincingly good at it).

I've never really looked at the matchup threads in all honesty but i've noticed that they are more or less semi-organized into "approach", "camp/rush", "kill options" and stuff.

One thing i thought about the matchup discussions, some of them, the way they are organized may not be the best in terms of "intuitive chain of thinking." I mean, there's nothing wrong with the order now. I'd be nice if there was like a variation "char discussion" where the "best of the best" describe their "order of thinking" when fighting characters that they are reknown for fighting against. Like Anther spilling his chain of thoughts when fighting certain MK's, or ESAM giving out his ordered list against the Snake/DDD fights, and me with DK/Olimar/ROB experiences sometimes.

I guess what i am talking about no longer falls under "character matchups" since it involves reading and people's experience. But maybe that's something new that some new pika's need--Not only a list of "what we can do and what other chars can do" (character matchups), but a form of "mentorship thread" where successful pikachu's consistently beating certain character matchups provide a somewhat detailed "How Did You Do It-what were you thinking during the fight?" explanations. Like a verbal commentary on their own thought process. That's what legendary people of old did.

Much of military secrets now are fundamentally based on the diaries and battle strategies of older-wiser generations. The great kings and rulers of old (including china) not only won their battles and take-overs, but wrote down their successes or thoughts in diaries/scrolls/journals to be remembered (and used) by generations to come. What was available to the new generation of rulers/soldiers/people were records of wisdom accumulated THROUGH SEVERAL GENERATIONS AND LIFETIMES--which surpasses and individual's research and knowledge. Sometimes these things were SO valuable, some wars and battles were fought in history for these time-taled scrolls/secrets/wisdom.

Though I am overdramatizing what I am talking about (lol... hope you liked the informative narration ^_^), it could be a nice addition to the pika thread if we "don't have anything else to talk about or work on." Many good pika's have already mentioned some of their thoughts about certain matchups, but few are recorded in their original forms and contexts/order which may actually REALLY help (don't like how LDPK approaches olimar? We'll you could reference Anther then.... options like this available to new pika's).

Like a battle diary... ^_^.... "trails and tribulations" of other pikachus who fought for the top, and are now at the top. ^_^

Kantō

Smash Champion
i think that would be an awesome idea. might take a while to make. but it would def. be helpful. seems like you have a knack for expalining things in an understanding way. which is perfect for begginer pikas. other than some **** just saying you suck , do this or do that. also many new commers arent familiar with smash lingo. this thread is helpful enough as it is, but a battle "book" i think would be interesting.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
If you wanna do it, LDPK, I think you should. Sounds like a good idea.

Just very, very time consuming, although you seem to bang out long-*** posts pretty quickly, lol.

Kantō

Smash Champion
i would support the thread idea to the fullest. i think if some of the better pika out there would take 15 min. to put in there input it can be very successful.

Kantō

Smash Champion
ill have some new vids up from todays friendlies later tonight. i have to wait till cura uploads them.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYIZsGNBvho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGt4SP1R2D0

kk, this is my vs, my friend Q.
hes actully pretty good for someone how hasnt played brawl professanaly of a while,
and i know i win,
but anything you guys and 'tip' me on?
Ah. Against a wolf. You did really well i guess considering that you won.

If the wolf was just an amatuer then I guess it was 2 good battles overall--tho i think Q had a better start the second round (props).

He does rely on f-smash quite a lot (which if it hits, i guess its still okay). At that point, my advise to you against a wolf who f-smash more than others, try to learn how to space/DI the f-smash so you don't get KO'ed. Did you know that wolf's f-smash is 2-3 hits? Only the final hitbox sends you flying--the first 1-2 hitboxes barely send you anywhere (as weak as a jab) ^_^! If you get the timing of that DI down pat, you'll do well even egainst many of the pro wolfs (tho they tend to depend on d-smash and f-air for the oppurtune kill). Wolf's are prone to edge-hogs and landing punishment so in terms of reading you could try to read those more (50-50 [shield side-b]>land punish or edgehog gimp). Another thing i did notice at times is that your getup from ledge sometimes missed the dropoff timing. Like once or twice i saw your pika jump off from ledge/get-on and seem to do an accidental QA up or some other accidental attack--it wasn't much tho. If you frame-perfect your dropoff (since pika drops off faster than any other character on teh board) you'll notice other potentially neat tricks you could add you your arsenal.

I liked the successful QaC setups and punishes (however that one time you QA'd into an u-smash or something... then again, you had a lot of stocks still :p).

Be weary of pro wolfs cuz (at least the one PR friend i faced) they play quite differently from your friend (more aggressive and frame-perfect in their landings/defense.

I hope this was helpful. Again, since you won, i didn't have much to say.

Best of wishes.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
thank you LDPK!!!!
i wanna thank you for actully watching , adn typing up what your thought=]

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Im hoping to get some vids up of my Pikachu soon, theyre all wifi but you know its all I got :\

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Im hoping to get some vids up of my Pikachu soon, theyre all wifi but you know its all I got :\
Wifi vids are really hard for people to critique, just so you know. There's no way to tell how much lag there was, and people generally play a lot differently/less seriously on wifi than they do offline. In my experience, anyway.

Plus Pikachu is just.... *** online. (Which is why I always go Zelda instead.) But maybe that's just a personal problem.....

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
Wifi vids are really hard for people to critique, just so you know. There's no way to tell how much lag there was, and people generally play a lot differently/less seriously on wifi than they do offline. In my experience, anyway.

Plus Pikachu is just.... *** online. (Which is why I always go Zelda instead.) But maybe that's just a personal problem.....
well from my own expericene. pikachu reallly sucks ***** on wifi, you cant reallly time the CG, or buffer...

Kantō

Smash Champion
depends on both peoples routers. i personally have a really bad one, so dont play online much.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
even if you have the best router tho,
there is still that small amount of lag, that will F you up.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I think the minimum is something like 7 frames of button lag. From what I've heard.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Would you rather me post CPU vids >_> I dont think so lol. Honestly I dont play that much different on/offline cus Im so used to it. I just dont have anyone remotely close to me that plays.

Edit: I dont really have a problem timing on wifi, once you play that first match, and you know how muhc lag there is, you just time the attacks slightly early :\

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
ok, for the first vid, when edge guarding DK, jump off stage and thunder, since DK's b-air can hit you before the thunder does, basically he can punish you for not doing that, Plus since DK's recovery is lacking of vertical recovering his first priority is to make it close to the stage, shure he can stall with side b, but still.

the second vid, Great job with the d-throw chain grab!! but after you get him to around 70-80 %, you may d-throw and get a free up tilt, or smash, so use that to your advantage,
remember that fox's reflector can and WILL reflect thunder on you, now when the thunder hits you, and pika bursts out into a thunder ball or whatever, the reflector wont reflect that. great job in that match tho.

in the third vid, i saw when you were at like 130 or so % sonic b-aired you across the stage, and great reflexes with using u-air to MC, but after you u-air, and u think it wont be enough USE UNCHARGED side b, it stops your momentum and sends you toward the stage, and also remember that pikachu has a CG on sonic till around 50. use that also.great match tho.

in the fourth vid,
i personally hate the sheik-pikachu match-up, idk why, i just do,
anyway, sheiks f-tilt lock is a ***** although it doesn't affect us as much as some other characters in the game, it still does a solid 15-20 % total, and he has a chance for a f-air or u-tilt- or even a u-smash,
and remember sheiks recovery isn't that great, EDGE HOG LIKE A MOTHER!
also remember that sheik has a DACUS, but most don't know how to do it, because it is the hardest DACUS to do in the game, but that could be deadly since pikachu is a light character, camp sheik also, personally it seems like she has a problem with projectiles

in the 5th match, im sorry, but i am a n00b, when it comes to doubles and i know nothing about them,

in the 6th vid, omfg, i hate oli, i hate the yellow pikmin,
first you should know that the yellow pikmin are completely safe from pikachus electric attacks (d-smash, F-smash, F-air, down,B and d-air) so if you have a yellow pikmin on you, use n-air, (that might not be the greatest thing to do because it stalles one of your kill moves) but i hate those things soo much!!
the blue pikmin have the best grab range, and all oli's will use grabs, ALL OF THEM,
one thing i do, and it helps sooo much, in this match-up, is to shield less, and spot dodge more, that way, you cant get hit by his smashes, and he cant grab you,
JUGGLE OLI LIKE A MOTHER!!! like im not even joking, use pikachus amazing up air on that Motha F'er!!
EDGE HOG TO!

Summery:
you have a pretty good pikachu!
but some things you should work on

1. QAC, God made it possible for pika to do it, so do it, but use it wisely, it can be punished is used poorly
2. practice recovering, in one or two of those matches i saw that you were killed by poor recovering, work on aiming QA
3. I saw that to edge guard you used thunder, (very good) but use Thunder off stage, like jump off stage and hit the control stick back to the stage and use thunder, so the thunder bolt goes straight down, and you are moved out of the way, back to the stage.
4. Use u-air and n-air more, there great moves,
5. Learn to t-jolt, while t-jolting, SH it, and retreat while shooting the t-jolt,
this way, you are farther away from your opponent and you will have time to cool down from the t-jolt

other than that, you did everything pretty good=]

hope this helps!!

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
ok, for the first vid, when edge guarding DK, jump off stage and thunder, since DK's b-air can hit you before the thunder does, basically he can punish you for not doing that, Plus since DK's recovery is lacking of vertical recovering his first priority is to make it close to the stage, shure he can stall with side b, but still.

the second vid, Great job with the d-throw chain grab!! but after you get him to around 70-80 %, you may d-throw and get a free up tilt, or smash, so use that to your advantage,
remember that fox's reflector can and WILL reflect thunder on you, now when the thunder hits you, and pika bursts out into a thunder ball or whatever, the reflector wont reflect that. great job in that match tho.

in the third vid, i saw when you were at like 130 or so % sonic b-aired you across the stage, and great reflexes with using u-air to MC, but after you u-air, and u think it wont be enough USE UNCHARGED side b, it stops your momentum and sends you toward the stage, and also remember that pikachu has a CG on sonic till around 50. use that also.great match tho.

in the fourth vid,
i personally hate the sheik-pikachu match-up, idk why, i just do,
anyway, sheiks f-tilt lock is a ***** although it doesn't affect us as much as some other characters in the game, it still does a solid 15-20 % total, and he has a chance for a f-air or u-tilt- or even a u-smash,
and remember sheiks recovery isn't that great, EDGE HOG LIKE A MOTHER!
also remember that sheik has a DACUS, but most don't know how to do it, because it is the hardest DACUS to do in the game, but that could be deadly since pikachu is a light character, camp sheik also, personally it seems like she has a problem with projectiles

in the 5th match, im sorry, but i am a n00b, when it comes to doubles and i know nothing about them,

in the 6th vid, omfg, i hate oli, i hate the yellow pikmin,
first you should know that the yellow pikmin are completely safe from pikachus electric attacks (d-smash, F-smash, F-air, down,B and d-air) so if you have a yellow pikmin on you, use n-air, (that might not be the greatest thing to do because it stales one of your kill moves) but i hate those things soo much!!
the blue pikmin have the best grab range, and all oli's will use grabs, ALL OF THEM,
one thing i do, and it helps sooo much, in this match-up, is to sheild less, and spot dodge more, that way, you cant get hit by his smashes, and he cant grab you,
JUGGLE OLI LIKE A MOTHER!!! like im not even joking, use pikachus amazing up air on that Motha F'er!!
EDGE HOG TO!

Summery:
you have a pretty good pikachu!
but some things you should work on

1. QAC, God made it possible for pika to do it, so do it, but use it wisely, it can be punished is used poorly
2. practice recovering, in one or two of those matches i saw that you were killed by poor recovering, work on aimming QA
3. I saw that to edge garde you used thunder, (very good) but use Thunder off stage, like jump off stage and hit the contol stick back to the stage and use thunder, so the thunder bolt goes straight down, and you are moved out of the way, back to the stage.
4. Use u-air and n-air more, there great moves,
5. Learn to t-jolt, while t-jolting, SH it, and retreat while shooting the t-jolt,
this way, you are farther away from your opponet and you will have time to cool down from the t-jolt

other than that, you did everything pretty good=]

hope this helps!!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
If you doubles post, don't make another post apologizing, lol. Just edit your other post.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
For any of you who are having trouble against toon links *cough cough*, even i have off days-and my brother, amazing days. Here's a recent vid--i hope it cheers some of you up (i share ya'lls pain...^_^). There are winning ones later, i'll post them in volt tackle or here later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8GcV7b8kns

EDit: Since i don't want to double post, I'll add more vids here for your entertainment (cuz my lil bro is too good... ^_^).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bt3reW71b0 ~ I sorta already know why/how i got owned here--took too many sparklies to the face ^_^ (about that last one, I kinda really screwed up trying to do a lock :p).

Kantō

Smash Champion
wow ur bro's TL is too good! except for that 19% ledge hog. problem with TL is you cant really camp much with pika. i have sorta trouble with TL myself, when i actually play a good one(witch is rare).
suggestions:
more thunderjolts? could catch him off guard more. but you said this is one of your off days, we al have em'
im sure you know what you where doing wrong. kool vid though! ur bro should post that in the TL threads.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
wow ur bro's TL is too good! except for that 19% ledge hog. problem with TL is you cant really camp much with pika. i have sorta trouble with TL myself, when i actually play a good one(witch is rare).
suggestions:
more thunderjolts? could catch him off guard more. but you said this is one of your off days, we al have em'
im sure you know what you where doing wrong. kool vid though! ur bro should post that in the TL threads.
He'll (or he'll make me -_-) post it up in the toon link boards eventually. Few Toon Links actually face pika's on a semi-regular basis. Most of the occurences are at OoS and other regionals so there's little time for intimate friendlies against the best of both. If you thought those were nice... there are some later that'll be excruxiating (when i lose) and amazin' (when i win).

Kantō

Smash Champion

He'll (or he'll make me -_-) post it up in the toon link boards eventually. Few Toon Links actually face pika's on a semi-regular basis. Most of the occurences are at OoS and other regionals so there's little time for intimate friendlies against the best of both. If you thought those were nice... there are some later that'll be excruxiating (when i lose) and amazin' (when i win).
cant wait to see them man. :chuckle:

in the meantime i have some new vids to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UBclhWdp24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO7bkYwAYTk&feature=channel

need some serious help with these matchups.:mad:

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
cant wait to see them man. :chuckle:

in the meantime i have some new vids to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UBclhWdp24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO7bkYwAYTk&feature=channel

need some serious help with these matchups.:mad:
LOL! That's too much irony! ^_^.

One of my crewmates is a samus and through him i get most of my samus experience and knowledge of what other pro samus do. And when i said i wanted to post some vids of me and my crew and stuff a LOT of the vids are of me and my crewmates... one of which (WERK) is a pure samus main with no secondaries. ^_^

I second shiek and know a lot of what she can do, but it may take me a little bit getting my mindset right in fighting one (i am the best shiek in NC right now i believe even tho she's my secondary). *i'll probably elaborate sometime later... first samus*

I've played like 1000's of pika vs. samus cuz i mentored my crewmate from beginning up and had the priveledge of witnessing a basic brawl student learning turn into an expert samus technician before my very eyes.

You played decent in the samus game... you kinda only killed yourself--rather than getting owned by the actual samus.

The thing is, Samus almost has NO killing options if you are not at 150% damage. Only throw off and d-air spike and all variations of gimp will kill pika early. REMEMBER this. You can take f-smashes with DI up to 120+ damage and live and d-smashes even longer, and d-tilt at about 100'ish for maximum danger. If you never get that high in damage, Samus can ONLY kill you via gimping. If you prevent yourself from being gimped, then you beat Samus for sure.

When a battle starts, I'll want to rush since most samus's with autocancel homing missiles and super missiles to rack safe damage and setup a runway for approaching in midair (with z-air approach or dash attack). If i start on a platform stage i rush towards samus and airdodge, cuz i KNOW z-air will come out (if he's good).

Samus's HUGE weakness is that she has a huge blindspot from the 5o'clock-7o'clock position if you imagine her sprite like a clock. That's almost all of the range of samus's d-air. Samus can ONLY cover that spot with d-air. Also note that ALL of her aerials have almost NO LAG UPON LANDING. So what i do, is rush in, grab, u-tilt, airdodge>u-tilt, fastfalled-fair>u-tilt, u-air... all to a juggle and stay in that spot. The thing is, there are only 2 things samus can do... that's it (this is where the hurt is laid)! She can either airdodge(>z-air if you are in front) or d-air. If she doesn't d-air, you can bank under that spot and hit her when she exits airdodge or see z-air come out. Samus also has a fast-falling problem--she can't really fast fall that well (its slow) so you see diving attacks coming a lot sooner than usual which adds more to why samus does not do well against an attack from this angle. Be sure that when you assault like this,samus doesn't land cuz that may be the problem you are experiencing in your fight, Bry. My strategy only works when you prevent them from landing since they have no lag when landing even when using aerials (and their up-b has invincibility frames upon start up). So I would always meet the samus in the air and force her to make that airdodge/d-air decision as fast as possible so that IF she does do d-air, she won't be able to autocancel it in time before i hit her.

In terms what to do when far away, I've gotten pretty used to EVERYTHING that samus could possibly do against me since i've played this matchup so much. When you start seeing any super missiles, RUSH ON FOOT. Did you know that almost all samus's cannot do a perfect missile cancel? (like one that is as low as a standing super missile). Missile-cancelled super missiles go right over standing pikachu's head. You can like stand there and nothing will hurt you. Literally, its safe to assume this. Since these missiles CANT hit you on the ground anyway, that's your cue to run in ad setup for juggle and beatdown. If you see homing missiles, they travel fast at first then REAL slow. The slower ones are harder to deal with cuz they'll still get you when you spotdodge and samus will be making other moves. My strategy, jump or double jump and fastfall back down OVER the slow ones and rush in and powershield the fast ones, making sure you are out of jab-cancel range. Most samus's that are new and newbish (your opponent definitely felt newbier than my crewmate most definitely in groundgame) don't do much jab-cancel to other tricks so you can pretty much punish a point blank missile with out of shield rising n-air or f-air.

What if the samus starts mixing all their autocancelled aerials, z-airs, AND missiles/shots when jumping all over the place? Well, my thoughts are, Samus CANNOT outspeed pikachu. The only thing samus can do to stop me (POINT BLANK) is f-air or n-air. N-air has one hitbox and it lags a lot (shield the first hit and beat the heck out of her with dashing Out of shield stuff). F-air is the only problematic attack if it comes out before yours, cuz they can retreat and it does a ton of shield cripple if samus knows how to space it. But you know what? If you get to her first and have a f-air out before samus has f-air out, you'll ALWAYS win and setup to juggle and beatdown. If samus does f-air, you will KNOW that z-air CANT come out.

You can always read z-airs cuz if samus short hops and doesn't do any rising aerial, its going to be either z-air or missile cancel on the way back down--samus can't even d-air at the peak of Short hop cuz the d-air's hitbox wont come out in time. From there, if it is super missile... RUSH and kill. If it is a homing missile, rush jump fastfall/shield>grab/f-air/juggle>kill. If it is z-air, then power shield it or just do a short hop airdodge fowards. The thing is... most samus's don't just z-air 100% of the time. Against new opponents, they roughly do 50/50 missile and z-air, so worst case scenario... you can just CHOOSE TO AVOID ONLY ONE, and if you never do ANY reading or change approach, you'll still get to him undisturbed or interrupted about 50% of the time ^_^. Often Samus's do up-b upon an autocancelled landing if they think they may get hurt and you are all over them. My counter, expect it cuz its pretty obvious, remain shielding, shield the up-b, and Samus IS A SITTING DUCK! Most samus's do not do more than one thing after an autocancelled landing (still only 1 d-air at a time). Another reason is that they ALMOST CANT DO ANYTHING ELSE--ask a frustrated samus main... they'll agree. Even samus's jab cancel has punishment openings, that or it can't combo you. Most of the time I just shield whatever crap they do after an autocancel (cuz i KNOW they'll do 'something') and hit them quickly afterwards (cuz most samus's aren't expecting it...). and even if they do expect it, its still of little use to them if you space/time your speed right. Samus is mostly mindgame stuff--much like an illusion of a scary opponent. If you don't fall for the mindgame or illusions, you win... easiliy... or at least decently.

When juggling, your u-air best samus's EVERY MOVE, period! Only d-air can possibly beat it in priority (BUT STILL NOT SPEED). I can easily land like 5 of these ina row guareenteed on every stock if i start a juggle early (watch for them airdodges and stay UNDER them.

Samus's are very hard when battling on the ledge cuz their options are so good. The triple tether is also a good gimper if the pika's tend to sweetspot too much all the time with QA. I love dancing with samus's on the ledge, but i don't reccommend it if its your first time. Its a real quick way to get owned. Literally, if the samus is PERFECT, this is the only aspect that I would just give up to pure luck if I don't have good "edge skills" and i mean GOOD. Some of the people here say that a perfect planking samus is as hard or harder to counter than a planking Metaknight! From my experience, i can own meta's on the ledge... Samus is slightly harder O_O. Just allow them to get back on... (you'll be doing yourself a favor) and whoop them normally. Most samus's bait opponent to ledge anyway cuz they have like TONS of metagame crap that they can use to screw an unsuspecting victim over (which i won't go into detail here). Just know, its hard and if you are daring, go dance a little--if not, stay away. ^_^

If you are going for the kill, KILL THEM UPWARDS. For some wierd reason (and brawl physics), samus is the hardest person to KILL SIDEWAYS (yes... statistically harder to kill than bowser sideways-wise). Reason: there are 2 main hidden numbers, 1 for weight and another for something like "knockback vulnerability" (which for some reason is not included in just pure 'weight'. Bowser is the heaviest but samus is like the 4th-ish heaviest (I NEVER KNEW THAT). Bowser is the 6th in 'vulnerability' and samus is like 1st. And for some reason, it is only horizontal. Samus is a LOT easier to straightup kill vertically than sideways (take my word for it), and i am even excluding samus' recovery options and pika's options. With an addition of pika's skill at killing vertically, Samus should be easy to kill--just get used to bomb jumps and their changing samus's momentum.

I apologize if this was a little more disorganized. I play this so much, most of this is just reflex now (and i am sorry for that... lol :p). I got a LOT of vids of me against my crewmate samus main. I just recorded them and wanted to post them up for volt tackle and for critique myself... lol. I have one's where i lose and many where i win and most of the time, i win. But i am so proud of him, he's come so far and is still growing and advancing his metagame. Enjoy everybody! Also I know pretty much what i did wrong on the samus vids i lost on (i am mostly proud of how well WERK did, but if any of you have any REAL good experience i'd still like some critique (*stealthraptor and ESAM *cough*cough*).

Full set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6UOABEcck8 1of5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oeCmsEvEP4 2of5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buk0fMXEHsU 3of5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmhDx1rPGWI 4of5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtO0icqwy-8 5of5 *what a match*

Other FRESH matches that are amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UezsGiT_mSA WHAT AN ENDING! O_O
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meKGSy0E5f8 *just uploaded may not be done processing on youtube yet... but its VERY WORTHWHILE*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dczlaNoVxTg This is what happens to my sanity when playing/training (mentoring) with my crewmate's samus for 4+ hours straight.

I hope you guys have some lols. We sort of play in an naturally entertianing way (i hope ^_^). My crewmate, WERK is a strategist only by heart so his fingers messes up sometimes, but he's startin' to own me and others in tourney (which warms a teacher's [me] heart so much ^_^).

I just had to post this right now... i'll edit this post later... just wanted to say that it was too funny (your question about samus). It's like at teh same time you have a problem, i am uploading an answer even before i ever see your question ^_^.

Edit: Shiek Battle Diary

Well, as i have said, I think i am THE best if not at least top 2 shieks in NC even tho she's my secondary. I've never really faced any with my pika, but i have faced one (goes by the alias of EAST?) a few times in friendlies at a regional tourney with my Secondary (random button is my secondary... lol.. it gave me diddy that time ^_^). Pretty much from what i can see and imagine, it sorta goes like this.

If the match starts, I make a mental decision, do i want to play conservative (is the guy too good for me to read?) or all out (risk-taking, glory-seeking, all-out reading! woohoo! :D). If I want to play conservatively, i'd just t-jolt and sort of plank if he's too close until he's got me up like 50 ish damage just from needles or something. By that time, you're fillin' him with t-jolts or quick jabs or aerials and running away until you naturally have enough damage to get hit too far for f-tilt to combo you anymore. This way, instead of taking f-tilt until like 56 damage without landing ANY damage on the foe, you do some residual damage (sometime a LOT) and can't get combo'ed as easily anymore.

If i want to go all out, then i'd rush right outside (but CLEARLY outside) of sheik's f-tilt, and jump out of shield or something in to a t-jolt aimed towards the ground in front of shiek. This way, if she decides to do a continuous f-tilt (which is what most good shieks, including myself, do--also we don't just do it one f-tilt at at time for some reason... its like two at a time before stopping/shielding, so keep a note of that) you can either hit her or cripple some shield and still be safe cuz a t-jolt towards the ground in front of shiek will make powershielding harder. The thing about shiek is that f-tilt makes up almost every setup. Another thing is that most of the time, people just 'run into' the f-tilt. When I am against a shiek, the only time i'll ever get f-tilted is when sheik powershields one of my aerials or offensive stuff and start f-tilting. Try to never let shiek get that combo off by merely 'running into' it--expect it, stay away from it, and punish it. F-tilt can't outprioitize much of anything else (its mostly JUST fast and wide). If you space right, you can ALWAYS land f-smash, d-tilt, an aerial t-jolt at the SAME TIME she does f-tilt and punish her for carelessly doing f-tilt. Sheik has the fastest fast-fall speed and is the fastest character to pull up her shield from dashing (also has the fastest initial dash frames), so don't underestimate her powershielding things out of dash easier or doing a lot of shield grabs.

My strategy is to think A LOT harder in avoiding f-tilt and punishing shiek for it. I would take it to the air if i got a sense of the shiek's approaching rhythm (walk>shield/f-tilt? Dash> shield/f-tilt? Mix of both? maybe I'd QaC behind them, and see how good they are in reacting the other way. Does landing behind them throw them off or can they react and turn around fast enough?). In my personal opinion, shieks don't "start setups" in the air at all most of the time. Most of them depend on groundgame/grabs leading up into the air for the f-air and b-air/u-air followups. The reason is that b-air and u-air have a lot of lag compared to shieks other moves and f-air is so small in hitbox and so fast (shiek's f-air is a fast pin-point attack which is why it almost ONLY comes out after a setup). If you space aggressively, shieks aerials wont be able to hit you comfortably (they'll either misss or always sourspot... it is THAT troublesome cuz of the 'pin-pointed-ness' of her aerials). Even if shiek's aerials hit, look at it this way... all of shieks aerials are pretty weak anyway (compared to her melee version... lol) and even n-air lags A LOT. Taking one of shieks aerials in the face as a "slight risk" is MUCH better than taking 50% damage from f-tilt gayness. Plus if you read right, you have a chance to deal some massive juggling pain. Also, if you get hit by enough aerial damage, you may not need to worry about f-tilt anymore.

After i surpass 60% or so, I worry about f-tilt A LOT LESS. Since it can't true combo anymore, you can airdodge down and away from most of shiek's followups. Mindgames can only be done at this point, but that is something we are all used to. All you have to do is move the epicenter of pikachu's hitbox away from the pin-point path of shieks f-air or b-air, and you'll be safe. I always, always, fast-fall after i don't have to worry about f-tilt anymore since most of shiek's mindgames are: 1) Ground Setup, 2) aerial pin-point followup, 3) fastfall faster than opponenents, 4) grab/u-smash/another setup > Rinse and repeat until kill. Once you can guess which of these are coming, you are set to go against shiek.

U-smash is the next thing... Its probably her ONLY kill move at when you are lower than 100% damage. That's interesting to know ^_^. She mainly kills people by second-jump sniping and gimping with her barrage Wall of pain aerials, or kills with her aerials when you are REALLY high in damage. If you can stay low in damage and have good offstage recovering skills, you'll be in control of the entire match the whole time ^_^. About u-smash, only the tip can really kill (its like multiple hitboxes). Even if you get hit by it from the side, its a lot less deadly. If you get hit by it lower (i.e. after coming of of a low airdodge, it is weaker. Just be sure than when you land, you airdodge your character sprite out of this "imaginary hieght" all the time. This'll protect you from any rushing u-smashes and even teh super slide that EAST (the shiek i faced at HERB 2) did against me (which epicly failed for him... i read it comin'...couldn't blame him tho.. lol... i would've done it if i were him... and woohoo... he got diddy d-smashed in the face ^_^).

That's pretty much the quick laydown of what i got. Hope it helps you get started.

Kantō

Smash Champion
thank god for your help against samus. i know i prolly wont face too many samus tourney players, but i always want to know the match up better. ill prolly be reading this through a couple times actually to sink it all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom