• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

** OLD ** Official Pikachu Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
I ordered a capture card online and it should be arriveing any day noww. And i have like billions of videos i would like to be cririquedd .
all facing ether HiROI or Draconoa44(neibors/ same school)

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Well i certainly hope you can group some of those billions into a few select 'representative' video sets, then it would make my job (as a self-inclined critiquer) a little bit easier. But then again.... I did post almost like a zillion last time i posted here... so tou`she`(probably butchered that spelling <<<). ^_^

EDIT:

So i was wondering what people's thoughts of me and my lil' bro go as far as we reasonably can in doubles with ganondorf/captainfalcon team combo. Since we did well last time, we are going to get good brackets and will probably go pika/toonlink towards the semifinal rounds, but ganon/falcon would be epic and I do really believe we could pull it off on all the non-PR'ers ^_^. I decided to add this here in critique cuz my foolish dream may need critiquing... lol.

Wish us luck at this weekends state tourney ^_^.

altairian

Smash Lord
I ordered a capture card online and it should be arriveing any day noww. And i have like billions of videos i would like to be cririquedd .
all facing ether HiROI or Draconoa44(neibors/ same school)
It's not really necessary to post a billion videos against the same two people ;)
We'll get the idea after a few vids. Just post a couple general critique vids and then any specifics matchups you want critiqued. If you overload us with vids then nobody's gonna want to watch them all ;)

Arikie

Smash Journeyman

Well since you won on most of them, I couldn't really say much. Try posting those on volt tackle vids ^_^. The one game and watch loss was just unfortunate. If he's got the bucket, most of the time the only advice i could give is to bait it out and block/avoid it. I f-smash and d-smash a lot less against a full bucket G&W.

Overall, you did great and have improved since the last time i saw your videos. Good job and keep up the good work. Personally, I like seeing MK's and marth getting beat up by pikachu. ^_^
I've uploaded some matches against my snake and falco friend.

ignis-snake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psz3x1Uk-vg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhYpuPBuzNk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwnUNhL8Ork
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deau77LYCt4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2KiD1LeraM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P9PCXvfwes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AShpn8hFN9g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEucfrBS6xE

ignis-falco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BesVzC9NnVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqUjS9vb5fA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIAc2x-hL28

ignis-metaknight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX-hekd9Xxw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWN0kkDb1rg first stock is hilarious

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I suppose I should start doing this again...I'll do it when time allows. Maybe tomorrow or sunday I'll start.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
ESAM. May i ask. When i get my replays uploadedd. That you cruique themm personally? I would reallly apperciate geyying your opiontion on my pikachuu

PZ

Smash Lord
errr.....have a problem with uploadin=(

my pikachu probably might suck but can u help me idk how to upload vids on youtube but i can tape them with my momz logitech camera i also have a SD card if u give me ur wii no. n brawl fc i can send replays to u=) i recorded 8 matches against cpus(at the time my wii's disc reader was roken so i had a to rarely use my friend's wii but his wont connect to internet probably cuz of my wii still being connected=( ) btw i can use cg n all those pika techs (cept DACUS) also boost pivot grab on wiimote its easy to do for speedy chars so u can do it on any controller at 1st i thought u can do everythin on gc n wiimote cant do that much but ive learned u can do some things ill do 2 more matches with the boost pivot grab (pikas out there with wiimote the impossible is possible)

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Uhh, uploading vids to YouTube is pretty easy. You gotta make an account first, though, then just hit the "Upload" button.

Vids vs. CPUs aren't very helpful, though. CPUs are nowhere near as good as human players..... do you have wifi? Even wifi vids would be better.

Kantō

Smash Champion
Esam are you really gunna start critiquing vids? that would be awesome. if so i got some **** to record...

PZ

Smash Lord
Uhh, uploading vids to YouTube is pretty easy. You gotta make an account first, though, then just hit the "Upload" button.

Vids vs. CPUs aren't very helpful, though. CPUs are nowhere near as good as human players..... do you have wifi? Even wifi vids would be better.
the uploading has a problem like when i do upload it theres a problem when it gets uploaded idk wat but ill pm u bout wat happens n yes i got wifi now of course

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Just make sure teh videos are the right formats and with the right audio. From my experience, anything that is WAV in audio may have a chance of always failing on youtube upload. Uncompressed stuff have a high chance of failing. Avi's, mp4's, mov's, vobs, and a few others can make it okay (so long as you aren't using wierd codecs). As for audio, mp3's and ac3 or acc audio will work. PCM audio will always fail from my experience.

PZ

Smash Lord
Just make sure teh videos are the right formats and with the right audio. From my experience, anything that is WAV in audio may have a chance of always failing on youtube upload. Uncompressed stuff have a high chance of failing. Avi's, mp4's, mov's, vobs, and a few others can make it okay (so long as you aren't using wierd codecs). As for audio, mp3's and ac3 or acc audio will work. PCM audio will always fail from my experience.
thats a little more helpful :dizzy: can u upload it by SD card?

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
if your computer can read SD card. The thing is... it must be a 'video file' on teh SD card. The problem is that Wii replays are 'bin' files (so its like a series of button inputs so it 'replays' exactly the same way... not video at all). You need something that can capture what is 'on the screen', then you can upload THAT onto youtube.

PZ

Smash Lord
#kidscheer

Yay, can't wait to see it. Still think you should try getting wifi vids instead, though.... CPUs are really not helpful in judging your skill. ><
ok i shall but i uploaded a yoshi combo as my 1st replay so i can c if it worked but now i have to figure out the brightness setting that would go good with the camera so i have some work to do aka push a few buttons lulz :chuckle:

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8j2ldg7YTk

Me and my wolf player Q. Tell me wat ya think, I'll have my other matches up later from my coming capture card
I um... you won... again. I do think you did good. Somehow i feel that the wolf could do better in terms of more (accurate) lasers and mindgames. You did good though. One note tho, I think you do too much QaC's at times. Though you may just be having fun and playing well at the same time, it is hard to avoid that QaC landing lag, which can kill you in a close match. Just watch out for that and when opponents start swatting your projectiles.

Kantō

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8j2ldg7YTk

Me and my wolf player Q. Tell me wat ya think, I'll have my other matches up later from my coming capture card
great job man!
whathcing this match reminds me of my strategy. your QAC's have gotten better. be a lil more careful about the TJ with characters that have reflectors, although you seemed to do it pretty well. chaingrab, chaingrab, chainggrab! those wolfs! the hardest part is actully killing him. LOL.
try doing more retreating fairs into down smashes after you CG him to like 40-50%. i usually try to save my Nair and oversmash for kill moves. so try to rack up that damage with the chaingrabs, save your kill moves and use fair and downsmashes, then go for the kill!

great vid though:chuckle: keep up the good work!

Kantō

Smash Champion
In order to cg wolf without him getting out with down b, you have to pummle him once after the 3rd grab. I learned that a lil while ago.
is this only on the 3rd grab? and only pummel once? cuz thats some interesting knowledge if so...

Healer

Smash Apprentice
that works, and buffering, I'm not a pika, but I'm the wolf in that vid, and idk why he didn't do it that much in the vids but he usually chains more when I'm wolf. From the match tho I lost I'd say, ur grabs are starting to get more predictable, I can see you reaching out every few seconds, all I have to do is b smart and not fsmash into it lolz, great game, nothing much to say since I don't play pika, also great edgehugging me lolz, stupid reflector!!!

Frio

Smash Champion
Dthrow x 3 > Pummel[Fthrow] > Dthrow x 14[13] > grab
So this says that you can do 3 down throws from 0%. Then you can:

a. Pummel once then do 14 more down throws + a grab

b. Do an f throw then do 13 more down throws a grab

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
seriouslyy 14 d-throwss.??
omggg O.O broken xD

btwww, il almost donee getting my capute card videos up to youtubee. ill have like 2-3 vides. on agasin a peach playerr, and one againist an oli playerrr.
HiROI=peach
Draconoa44/Noa=Oli

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
In watching the olimar videos, I think the stages were generally against you both times (walkoffs) with changing and sometimes no offstage part (to gimp olimar). If those were olimar's counter picks then okay. Anyways, the only thing I could really advise you do is make more of an effort to kill yellow pikmin and don't make any wasted movements. There were a few times when you would repeatedly do some electric attacks and a pool of yellow pikmin would just stop it. The rest is up to luck, reading, and avoiding those rolls/pivot grabs and controlling your damage. I feel a really good spaced thunderguard is effective against most olimars. I don't know your experience against that one in particular but trying a couple more thunderguards would have probably messed him up a bit.

As for the peach (you won), i can't really say much. While I do feel that you did very well or good, I also feel that the peach is not as fluid as some of the better OoS players i've seen. As for you, you did great. I think both of you guys (peach and pika) might have been a little too agressive at times (peach would pull turnips when the time wasn't right [jolt/pika is coming]) and you would mostly charge in. However, that may just be playstyle preferences.

All in all, good.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman

In watching the olimar videos, I think the stages were generally against you both times (walkoffs) with changing and sometimes no offstage part (to gimp olimar). If those were olimar's counter picks then okay. Anyways, the only thing I could really advise you do is make more of an effort to kill yellow pikmin and don't make any wasted movements. There were a few times when you would repeatedly do some electric attacks and a pool of yellow pikmin would just stop it. The rest is up to luck, reading, and avoiding those rolls/pivot grabs and controlling your damage. I feel a really good spaced thunderguard is effective against most olimars. I don't know your experience against that one in particular but trying a couple more thunderguards would have probably messed him up a bit.

As for the peach (you won), i can't really say much. While I do feel that you did very well or good, I also feel that the peach is not as fluid as some of the better OoS players i've seen. As for you, you did great. I think both of you guys (peach and pika) might have been a little too agressive at times (peach would pull turnips when the time wasn't right [jolt/pika is coming]) and you would mostly charge in. However, that may just be playstyle preferences.

All in all, good.
Thanks alot LDPK!! :D

But I'v Always hated the Olimar>Pikachu MU
just because hes just a weird character xD
I hate the yellow pikmin with a passion -___-
I hate the fact that Pika cant camp him that well, and is forced to approach, and his ground game beats us.

Just from experience with fighting Oli's i dont think the MU is 45:55 Oli
i think its closer to 60:40 or 58:42. I think Oli has more of a Adv. then the Pikachu MU chart and the Oli MU chart gives him

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
please critique my pikachu now the videos have no sound but you can still watch also i know i can cg fox its just i want it to be fair sorta of well u know what i mean more fair then the 68:32 and the 3rd 1 is me vs marth on wifi the other two is me vs fox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2idAhZeHoqA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14JT3ouPcDY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2iIoKa0qVg
Alright Im going to got Video by video

1. In this video I really like the follow-ups you do from your d-throw. d-throw<u-tiltx2<up-airx2< n-air. I really like that
One thing i saw was when you were egde guarding with your jab. That was alrightt. but it is punishable if your opponet gets past it. Like fox could of jumped around it and like d-aired are somethng. get me.?
Over all, in this match you did good. but i saw mistakes like not dashing when you wanted to u-smash, but didnt run and you just stopped in place and up-smashed. And i would recommened to t-jolt more. Although Fox and reflet them, If you do it close enoght to them, ether they would sheild because they know that Refleting it would be laggy, or they will reflet it, and you get a free hit on themm.

2. I like this one too. But one thing you should remeber is that this match wasnt really a 'real match'. 3 mins on the clock isnt reallly enough time for a match. I would recommened hacking your wii with homebrew.(if you need help with that i can help)

Now one thing i noticed was that you dont really DI or MC. To MC with pikachu right when you get hit use up-air and then unchargred skull bash toward the stage, This will allow you to live to longer Percents. Now thats only for horizontal MC, For vertical MC. FF d-air. and make shure to DI toward the coners of the bounderies.
Another thing is if your not going to CG the Fox(even tho its a **** Match up if you do) always d-throw at low percents to combo with up-tilt and up air,(which you have beeen doing great) but at mid<high percents always do f-throw with at lest 2 pummles. This will cause the most damage and move Fox away from you so you can set up more attacks. (this also appleys to most of the cast[[Only the casts that can be combos with dthrow<up-tilt etc]])

3. Now this match i cant really say alot about only because this is wifi. While on wifi you cant really do stuff like QaC, or CG's or anything that involes decent timing because of the lag.
Some things you should know about the Marth:pikachu MU is (in my option) the hardest Match-up Pikachu has,(along with MK). We cant really camp them, because they can cancel it with only jab. for jumping over it then F-airing. We have limited use of our airels because his airels out range and out prioitize ours. and his ground game is great. With his side b, and if you attack his sheild with-out the corret spacing. He'll up b right out of it. the only thing that Pikachu has over Marth is gimping. Always get Marth off the stage. GIMP GIMP GIMP GIMP!!!!. shoot t-jolt, n-air him away from the stage. do anything to make him use his second jump, because when he uses his seconds jump off stagge. hes pretty much dead if you gimp him corrently.

From the videos i saw, these are the things you need to work on:
1. Learn to QaC.(and if you know how to do it, use it and apply it into your play style)
2. Chain Grab, Agastist Fox, When ever you get the grab. d-throw him. and again, and again. More likey you'll stop before the actual Chain Grab is over from boredum because of how long it is xD.
3. Leran to Gimp. Fox is an easy person to gimp(in my option). all of Pikas airels are great for getting people away form the stage. and keeping them away from the stage.

Over-all you have a good pikachu, but you need to work on these things.
hope it helps ^^

Punk9

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Punk, the main thing i saw in your playstyle that i would change is that you try to mindgame too much when you have guaranteed setups. I saw a few times (or maybe just once) that you used D-throw and then tried to predict an airdodge or something. Always ALWAYS go for the guaranteed % if you get a grab at low-mid%. F-throw U-smash or D-throw nair every time, it helps a lot. I can't really think of much because I don't know the olimar matchup for ****...so I see him as just outplaying you...IDK. YOu had a good use of T-jolts, but be more careful of his pikmin order and know which attacks are good with each color.

PZ

Smash Lord
i know that i should cg like i said before. qacing is easy but i only like to do it on smashville and fd or other wide open stages aka big straight stages also gimping yea i got a problem with that maybe you can show me how to gimp sometime maybe tommorrow cause i have internet for 2 days. starting today and tommorrow

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
@ altairian:

On the jigglypuff one, spamming t-jolts REALLY affect that matchup in my honest opinion. All Jiggly's shorthopped stuff gets interrupted by it. Only f-air can pass through t-jolt but jiggly cannot do another one before she lands so that equals a free smash/hit/grab if you space yourself close to jigglypuffs landing lag. She's too floaty to combo as effectively, but that's also her weakness. Other than grab, most of her moves upon landing are really bad so that's why some jiggly's tend to fix that by choosing where they land since jiggly is so floaty. If you can t-jolt her to jump higher, then u-airs start to work like a charm. Jiggly's b-air can't take out t-jolts nearly as easily. Do t-jolts so they land lagless now.... T-jolts also work against rollout, just jolt the ground as jiggly is rolling on it. Rollout is another way you can land a KO move cuz rollout is easily telegraphed and you would have killed their second stock real easy that time instead of doing thunder.

Against the luigi, there were two distinct ways you played: provoking and assaulting. On the first stock, you looked more attentive than later on in the match--i think that's why you had it easier in the beginning. What i see you doing (only my opinion and reading....) a lot is making a certain set of moves/approaches sometimes without much regard to what the opponent is doing. Whether luigi was just empty jumping, doing b-airs, f-airs, or fireball, it "looked" like 'as long as luigi is short hop height, i'll approach this way'. As a result, you ran into most of luigi's later attacks when the attacks would have otherwise missed if you just stood still.

Luigi's f-air is more vulnerable in certain spots than his back air. If luigi jumps facing foward, rush>shield the f-air and immediately rise>n-air. If luigi jumps with his back towards you, then its a lot harder to approach and be safe--t-jolt and wait in standby if this happens. Luigi is more vulnerable right underneath him at short hop height, so if you find yourself under do d-smash which will eat through n-air and sometimes d-air at short hop height. Just jump over fireballs, that's only to provoke you to come closer and luigi is a scary counter-puncher--dont fall for his trap. Your biggest asset against a recovering luigi is t-jolt and f-smash. The length of f-smash will safely nail luigi whenever he's side-b'ing and if he does the super cyclone recovery close to the edge.

I feel that in both matchups, sometimes doing more "reacting" rather than "attacking" is way better... especially in a matchup against any of the mario bro's. How often do you find yourself doing nothing except standing there and just reacting to the opponent's movements--how many time have you made your moves in actual response to your opponents individual moves? How high does your opponent usually jump, short or full; what direction are they facing, towards you or away? Sometimes, that's all you can do against certain opponents--they make the first move, then you react. knowing how to do that on occasion is a really valuable asset.

gallax

Smash Hero
yo ive got some new pika vs snake vids that i recorded yesterday. they were really good and one has a crazy spike on me. haha. it was so funny. but they will be posted soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom