• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

** OLD ** Official Pikachu Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beat

Smash Ace
o_o I thought we did a Pikachucario battle...

EDIT: LOL AT PREPARE YOUR MUTHA F'N SELF.

Too funny man. Lookin' forward to being thundershocked until I slit my neck again sometime.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJOjz6TchY

tear it apart rawr
this is a set with one of my partners in crime, it was a friendly set but we tried to take it as serious as possible.

obvious mistakes:
headbutt recovery r2
QA recovery r2
stayin in my shield to long r1
anymous thunders(im used to him springing after certain things :/)
im also not sure why i kept chargin upsmash like that game 2

i think i was tryin to be diffrent game 2 and just failed at it.
Kyoshiiiii! <3

First of all, your videos almost froze my computer, lol. I dunno what was going on, but whenever I paused to write a comment down, it would make it all choppy and glitchy.... so if I missed something... my bad.

Anyways, here's my critique:

• Your fair approaching is generally ok (you did lots of cross-over fairs in particular, which is really good), but I noticed -- which means your opponent noticed -- that you always carry your momentum forward the entire time.... i.e., you need to do more retreating fairs.

The problem with always moving completely forward with fair is that if you whiff, your opponent can read exactly where you're going to land and easily punish you. There were a few times when you started fairing, Sonic noticed you were out of range, and he'd simply run up to just outside your landing point and grab. Granted, Sonic's fast and could have probably chased you down anyway, but at least if you were more unpredictable with your aerial momentum, he'd have a harder time guessing where you'd land.

• Another point about your fair approaches is that I saw very few follow ups that weren't dsmash. You did a lot better with that in the second match, but you still did an excessive amount of fair > dsmash at low enough percentages that a different followup would have led to a combo and dealt more damage (since dsmash doesn't do that much damage when it's DI'd out of).

On stages like BF with lots of platforms, fair > dsmash is even less effective because you can't really tech chase that well unless you're on the bottom level.

• You already noticed there was too much thunder. It wasn't even that it was necessarily too much, you just didn't use it accurately or at the right moments.

• Sooo many SDs. And a lot of random Skull Bash on stage, but I'm assuming those were failed QAC attempts?

• When you lost a stock, you'd get desperate for a kill. Especially in the first match, you started throwing out usmash, fsmash, and nair like crazy, even when Sonic wasn't quite in KO range. There are two problems with this: 1) you were staling your kill moves, especially nair, and 2) you started getting really predictable and, as a result, punishable.

I know it's hard to grab Sonic because of his speed, but if you can, grab or fair > grab as much as possible around 80-100 so you can pummel and refresh your other moves. Pika's kill moves are a little on the obvious side, so they usually take some setting up or can otherwise be used for punishment.... don't try to approach with them unless you really think you can surprise someone.

Basically, even when you really want that kill, continue to play smart and use your best options.... if that option only serves to deal a little more damage, that's fine. It's better than being punished for going too hard.

• You got sucked in by the Sonic punch. A lot. But I don't blame you.... it's kind of hypnotizing.... :dizzy:
And now my match-specific comments....

Match 1

Your dtilt > grab was sexy.

You ran into a lot of Sonic's attacks when you were approaching. If you were trying to approach from the air, jump sooner. If you were SHAD'ing, jump sooner. If you wanted to approach with your shield, put it up just outside of his range, and it'll slide forward while keeping you protected (unless he grabs, obviously). If you were trying to do anything else, it just needed better spacing.

Match 2

Jab wars, lolol.

Let's see.... you ran into the punch, Skull Bashed into the punch, and QA'd into the punch. Teehee.

You really were getting creative in this match, lol. I kind of understood where you were going with stuff like charging usmash and whatnot, but you gotta mindgame people into things like that, not just throw them out randomly. Would have been cool if they'd worked, though.

You and Sonic both did a lot of running around in circles when you couldn't decide what you wanted to do, lol. There was one point in the match when you guys were literally just running around the stage past each other. :laugh: Even if you're pausing to consider your next approach, you can QAC away and tjolt, which is fairly unpunishable.

That's all I got. Very nice Pika, Kyosh.... I think the fact that your opponent knows you also contributed to how the matches played out.

Well, i think i'll ask for some critique for the first time in my life.. I really got my self handed to me in these matches so I'm asking for some help.

Ussi vs Ak (DK)

Match 1
Match 2
Match 3
Match 4
Match 5

Ussi vs Beat (Ike)

Match 1 <- Not worth critiquing but tell me WTF to do right so I don't drag the match too long.
Match 2

Warning 1: I suicide quite a bit
Warning 2: annotations are on the DK videos.
Warning 3: I can't meteor cancel...
K, all done (finally!).... I'll do these person-by-person:

vs. AK

• [*]You already know you suicided a lot, so I won't elaborate on that. :(

[*]Try to stay out of the air above characters like DK who have good utilts/usmashes. When you were coming down onto the stage from high up, you tended to drift right into him, and he'd usmash or utilt you when you could have avoided it. If using your aerial momentum isn't working and he's doing a good job of following you, fall until you're just outside of his vertical range and then QAC away to land safely.

[*]Your tjolt usage was.... mixed. Imo, you use grounded jolts too much, but it usually worked, so I won't say that's a real critique. However, you definitely tjolt in your opponent's face waaaay too much. I couldn't count the number of times when he knew you'd full hop and tjolt near him, so he'd just shield and then punish the cooldown lag. You did this against DK and Ike, but DK's long arms and faster attacks did a better job of punishing it.

I know you're excited to have a projectile now (Ike mainer ;)), but use it from a safe distance or retreat as it comes out so you don't get usmashed or DK Punched.

[*]Way, way too much dsmash. More of them needed to be replaced with ftilt as a GTFO move, or if you wanted to tech chase, you need to work on your followups. You did spotdodge > dsmash sooo many times when you had better options.

[*]Your fsmash usage needs some work. You tried to use it for spacing on the ground at times, and while it worked once or twice, in general it's not good for that against DK. If you weren't saving it for the kill, it would have worked better for punishment instead of spacing in this particular matchup.... DK has enough speed, range, and super armor on some attacks to hit Pika out of fsmash's startup lag. Example: DK Punch.... ><!!! and his up b

[*]When you got DK to what you thought was kill range, you went too hard for the kill and generally only used fsmash, usmash, and nair. For one, you kind of misjudged when he would die and started trying to KO him too early. Secondly, after you'd hit him and he failed to die, you kept using the same moves over and over, which staled their knockback a lot. You should have grabbed and pummeled more to refresh them. Thirdly, you got predictable by trying too hard to kill him.

[*]You ran into a lot of attacks. DK has range for days with those loooong monkey arms, so if you don't slide in with your shield from a good distance, he'll probably hit you. You especially ran into his up b a lot, which... hurts if you don't DI out of it.

Speaking of his up b, learn to shield it better. You did better with that in later matches, tho.

[*]Don't overestimate the cooldown lag on a failed DK Punch. When he whiffed it, you'd run in all willy-nilly thinking you could punish, and he'd fsmash or usmash you.

[*]Vary your aerial approaches. You pretty much always did fair or nair in the same way.... and he frequently read it and hit you out of the air with utilt or usmash. Try proceeding with a tjolt (from a safe distance!!!) sometimes so he has to worry about shielding the jolt and reacting to your approach at the same time. Or try Pikastorming -- it's less effective against long-ranged opponents like DK, but it'll make you less predictable.

[*]More combo variety would be nice. You did much, much better with combos in the later matches.... do that more often, but mix it up even more. Even tho it's effective, FF fair > utilt > uair > nair gets predictable after a while, and it can be DI'd out of. Occasionally surprise your opponent with a bair or fair out of utilt/uair.
Match-by-match commentary....

Match 1:

You started the match really well, but then you ran into that usmash.... :(

Your combo game wasn't really great this match, but you improved on it in later ones.

Even though you failed your meteor cancel, I'm pretty sure you still could have made it to the ledge if you'd angled your QA better.

One of the few times you spaced well with fsmash was when you fsmashed his usmash.... good job!

Needed more fair approaching in this match.

You seemed to get scared to edgeguard him after that spike. If you'd thunder edgeguarded him more, you'd have been able to do it fairly safely since DK has a predictable recovery.

Match 2:

Your first fair failed hard, but good job on crossing them over after that. You could have FF'd them better, though.... he was able to up b away because you let too many hits of fair connect.

Be careful of QAC around DK... his usmash semi-***** it. You seemed to learn your lesson, hehe.

This is around when I noted that you were using spotdodge > dsmash too much as your panic button. Ftilt more.

Beginning of your third stock, you did really a really good job juggling him with utilt and uair.

Near the end of the match was one of the few times you shielded his up b well.

Punch ftw. :(

Match 3:

Messed up the CG.... :(

You did a lot of tjolting too close to his face in this match and took a lot of damage that way.

At the end of DK's second stock, you did too many fsmashes in a row. You're lucky one of them hit, because it was too easy to see coming.

Really nice thunder edgeguarding at the end of his second stock.

Beginning of third stock: pummeling him at 0%?

You ftilted near the end, and it worked! Do it more!

I lol'd at the end. No idea where your second jump disappeared to.

Match 4:

Too much fsmash, too much dsmash, too predictable when approaching from the air.

By now, you've gotten a lot better with utilt/uair shenanigans.

I dunno where I saw this, but he punished one of your spotdodges (probably for yet another spotdodge > dsmash, amirite?) with a DK Punch.

No comment on your last recovery, lol.

Match 5:

You ***** during your first stock until you SD'd. :ohwell:

This is the match where you ran in too carelessly after failed Punches.

vs. Beat

Since a lot of the same stuff still applies, I'll just do this set quickly....

You're still staling your kill moves too early and trying too hard to get the kill. More grab pummels will help, but you also need to learn when to kill in general. Pika's got some good kill moves, but he's no Ike.... his knockback's not that good.

More ftilt/dtilt. I didn't mention dtilt for the DK matches since DK easily outranges it, but against Ike, dtilt is faster than him and has pretty good range. It also changes Pika's hurtbox, so you miiiight be able to duck underneath Ike's jab? (I'm not 100% sure about that statement.)

In the first match, you should have CG'd him sooner. Ike has to approach, so play less aggressively and shieldgrab away if you can. Or go for the combo -- it's up to you, lol.

Nice ending on the first match. :laugh:

In your first match, you didn't momentum cancel very well. You did a lot better with it in the second match, though.

Phew, that was a lot, lolol. Your Pika's definitely better than the last time I saw it, and you didn't get ***** as hard as I thought you were going to based on what you said here and on Xat, lol.

Even though you had a lot of problems during your first match against AK, you seemed to learn from your mistakes and fix them in later matches, which is great. I would say that your biggest problems are using dsmash too much and starting to play sloppily after you lose a stock..... you start your matches really well, but when you feel like OMGINEED2GETZTEHKILL, you get predictable and throw out too many KO moves in a row.

Can't wait till we finally get to do our MMs.... ><! Also, I didn't go back and read over this (I got lazy, lol), so if something doesn't make sense, let me know.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
o_o I thought we did a Pikachucario battle...

EDIT: LOL AT PREPARE YOUR MUTHA F'N SELF.

Too funny man. Lookin' forward to being thundershocked until I slit my neck again sometime.
The video ended up being screwy so i tossed it. Sigh ~_~ there always ends up being a screwy video.

King~

Smash Champion
^^

nice critique klo<3

about the running in circles thing, someone was talking to us while we were playing, and the other times were just me running a away

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
So, uh, this is a lot more nerve wrecking that I though. D:

KayLo vs. Zylar - Wifi

Yeah, I know its wifi, but that's the only way for me to play anyone if I get the chance.
Critique please. ^^' *readies paper and pen*
Hehe, I'll see if I have our Pika ditto(s) recorded -- and get Espy to upload them if I do.

Also, everyone pretend I only rolled/spotdodged half as much as I did.... I have a problem, I know. ;-;

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
@~Kyte I'm only critiquing vs G&W cause sandbagging means nothing, and against sheik you just grab > dthrow > ****

things you did right: Used tilts, abused dsmash since your opponent did not DI it

Things done wrong: Used Projectiles without thinking, did not DI/tech dthrow, suicide, charged smashes a lot You didn't get punished for it though, but at higher levels it happens.

:06 Don't start off wit ha tjolt against G&W. Its too easy to bucket. Appartently he didn't see it coming though.

:11 tech dthrow, but be careful on which way you go if tech roll. If you're not gonna tech. At least DI behind him so he can't jab

You had a lot of whiffed grabs here. He spot dodged them all, so instead of rushing and grabbing, do like two dtilts to hit him out of the dodge.

:48 BIG NO NO! Don't thunder recklessly.

1:01 lulwut? No comment

You played correctly for some time. Uthrow > uair was good cause he expected thunder.

2:04 Bad, don't skull bash, you almost got fair'd in your face.

2:19 DI behind him at least so jab won't hit.

2:44 why... would you fire a projectile that far away.... you filled his bucket :\

2:49 you rolled

3:02 DI BEHIND HIM SO YOU DON'T GET HIT!

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
@Kyte:

Think before you Quick Attack. A lot of times you just Quick Attacked into the air above the stage and left yourself vulnerable while falling back down. If you're going to use up+B with Pikachu, you should either go for the ledge at an angle where you can still get back if they edgehog you, or QAC on the ground. Ending your Quick Attack in the air is a big no-no.

If you're going to use projectiles against G&W, then I recommend having a plan to punish him grabbing them with the bucket. I've conditioned a G&W I know to never bucket because he knows I'm going to punish him. If G&W does already have the bucket filled, then spam tjolt like nobody's business. Hopefully, he'll instinctively use down+B and empty the bucket by accident. If you want to be safe, just don't use many projectiles to begin with.

I like that you use tilts. Most people trade in their tilts for smashes, even though tilts are faster and don't stale your kill moves. I'd say A+ for your tilt usage.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
LoL so i finally got my friend WaffleZ to post TWO vids, and no, i dont know why i use up throw so much... >.>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odg3u0mpozU (shiek) hes sandbagging, obviously

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFb3CqQSXYc&feature=channel (G&W) i had no idea what to do against the awesome smash spamage...
Yeah, this critique is a little on the late side.... sorry. =X Btw, I critiqued both videos because even though your opponent was obviously sandbagging in the first one, you still made some mistakes that seemed to be consistent throughout both videos.

• [*]Your most glaring mistake, especially in the match vs. G&W, is that you pause. A LOT. There were so many times when you just wouldn't be doing anything, and there should never be moments like that in a match.... if your opponent's not attacking, you should always be spacing or setting up your next attack or at least moving. Sitting in one spot is making yourself a stationary target for your opponent, although the G&W seemed to do the same thing. You could have taken advantage of that.

Also, I dunno how serious you were with the crawling, but crawling is never a good approach unless you're ducking projectiles.

[*]Related to the above, sometimes you'd sit for a moment doing nothing, then rush forward and dash attack or rush forward and tjolt from the ground..... both very bad choices. If you rush in like that, your opponent is gonna know you're about to attack.... mix up your approaches and trick them by SH'ing and acting like you're going to attack, then rushing in and grabbing them from their shield. Or short hop > airdodging (SHADing) behind them. Or fairing, but landing it behind them so they can't shieldgrab you.

Basically, you just got really predictable with your approaches from a distance, and you got punished for it.

[*]You ledge attack at the wrong moments. Against Sheik, you did it when she was clearly shielding and waiting to shieldgrab you, and against G&W, you did it when he was still invincible. Mix up your ledge game.... Pika has a lot of options. At the very least, remember that you can roll behind them or drop down and jump back up with an aerial.

[*]Speaking of attacking G&W when he was still invincible, you did that in both matches. Wait for their invincibility frames to wear off and just space/defend yourself in the meantime. (I do it too... it's so tempting, but it'll never work no matter how many times you try. :laugh:)

[*]You need a looot of work on your QA control. You ended up QA'ing way above the stage far too many times, which leaves Pikachu extremely vulnerable. His air speed isn't the greatest, either, so it's fairly easy to predict where he'll land even if you try to drift in different directions. Just go into Training Mode and practice until it's second nature.

[*]Ussi and Pika_Cam are right about your good tilt usage. A lot of better Pikas don't even use them that much, but they're faster than smashes and don't stale your kill moves. Good job. :)

[*]Also, you recognized when your opponent (G&W) couldn't DI out of dsmash and spammed it to your heart's content. Done like a true Pika. :bee:

[*]Your spacing could use a little work. You whiffed some attacks pretty badly and landed in front of your opponent with fair too many times, which sets you up to get shieldgrabbed if they shield all the hits. Try to hit with only 2-3 hits of fair and land behind your opponent so that if they shield, you won't get grabbed but can still follow up with utilt/dsmash/whatever if they drop their shield.

[*]Too much uthrow, but you already admitted to that. Fthrow and dthrow are better setups to lead into other attacks, and bthrow is good for getting opponents off the stage. Uthrow will rarely lead to thunder since it's easily DI'd.

[*]Too much rolling. You got punished for it a few times, but at higher levels of play, "a few times" will turn into "almost every time" once they read your roll patterns.

[*]Too much full hopping. Short hop sometimes.... it takes less frames, and it'll speed up your game. Full hopping does have its place, but SH'ing is generally better unless you're tjolting.

[*]Don't charge your smashes so often. Sometimes it'll pay off, but most of the time, you'll get attacked out of it.... and you receive 20% more knockback from an attack when you're charging a smash, so it's DEFINITELY not worth it. Especially at high percentages and double-especially against characters with strong smashes (ex: G&W).

[*]More combos! I saw hardly any combos, especially since you did uthrow a lot instead of dthrow or fthrow. Learn Pika's combos and use them at low-mid percentages. Even light characters like G&W can be combo'd at very low percentages.
Match-by-match.....

vs. Sheik

You tried an fair > fsmash. Doesn't work -- utilt/dsmash/grab are better options.

In the beginning, you jumped in waaay too aggressively. You ran forward and FH'd an fair right into Sheik's front, which basically screamed "Hey, I'm about to attack you! Block me!" Granted, this is mostly personal preference, but it's usually better to start a match a little more defensively. Or, if you wanna be aggressive, shoot a few tjolts first to distract them while you get closer. Running in and attacking from that distance isn't good.

vs. G&W

Waaaay too much projectile usage against G&W. You filled his bucket. :( If you're gonna tjolt/thunder G&W, be ABSOLUTELY sure he won't bucket it or otherwise be prepared to punish the bucket hard. If you choose the latter, try to fill it only one part per stock, starting with the second stock (which is, I believe, Anther's rule of thumb vs. G&W).

Once you filled the bucket, you should have spammed tjolt like your life depended on it. Getting close to G&W when his bucket is full is not recommended. ><

Your jab > fsmash was nice. It's a one-time-per-match sort of thing, but unexpected switch-ups like that are always good.

Tech the dthrow.

That's all I got. Mostly I would say work on combos, QA control, and speeding up your game to make yourself harder to predict. I look forward to seeing more videos from you!

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
LOL doop walking. you are trash gtfo.

jkjk very nice pika. missed some qacs but overall very good. i didnt really see much to critique lol. other then watch out with thunder around G&W cause thunders weird multi hit properties can fill up that bucket fast.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
LOL doop walking. you are trash gtfo.

jkjk very nice pika. missed some qacs but overall very good. i didnt really see much to critique lol. other then watch out with thunder around G&W cause thunders weird multi hit properties can fill up that bucket fast.
yea thats why i didnt do it. I was also baiting the bucket on the ground to get some free damage.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
personally i liked the usage of jolts when he was recovering/on the edge to take advantage of the lag afterward. zebrasuit ftw i'll have to look into that myself, it rivals the awesomeness of the goggleschu. good match, he got lucky toward the end there when his recovery was saved by the slant of the level. also I saw a good use of the qac slope cancel, which was clever to get in a t-jolt

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
*scared to post*

What about.....my vid >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lm7176dJdU&feature=channel_page

its vs a GW.
What you did good: Sexcellent tilt useage, great aerial useage, spammed dsmash since he didn't DI it, good tech chasing, awesome use of uair to interrupt combos, good throw game

What you did wrong: Used projectiles a bit recklessly

:02 Starting with a tjolt is a bad idea. Its way to easy to bucket. Granted he didn't see the first one, but he got the 2nd one. And all you did was punish him with a QAC.

:27 good tech to jab

:32 Nice uair :)

:36 good, no thunder

:58 DOOP WALKIN

1:12 using a bucketabe projectile twice in a row is not a good idea against G&W. One shot is enough to throw him off balance. You don't want to let him get an easy way to KO you at 0% Only times it worth letting him bucket you is when you want to punish it with a kill.

1:27 that thunder was really a bad decision. He was not near it nor going into it. But then he filled his bucket

1:33 You ate the bucket. Granted i would have saved it for the next stock, but that was his decision. Probably got you off guard like me when watching it.

3:02 I'd say using your 2nd jump to QA was enough and better, unless you're 2nd jump was gone? Then you did right.

3:05 should have used skull bashed right away. That was the only chance of really making it back.

you know, its hard to critique a video when the player was obviously outplaying the opponent. You don't do much wrong.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
since all he doin is spamming bair, i needed a way to stop him from doin it. I spammed it until he caught one then i made my move. I kno i should be wary about it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm speaking from a logical point of view. You, however, probably most likely have more skill/experience than the people critiquing you. I'm just doing what you asked and attempting to critique anyways.

I still say one tjolt would be enough to stop a bair spam.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
*scared to post*

its vs a GW.
Wow... Ninjalink... *was wondering when you'd make a post here* :D

For the person who mains everybody...

Nice pika! :D

Oh... this isn't really a critique cuz you did everything real well already but for g&W--one thing I'd like to do is to constantly regrab the edge with QA... similar to how samus's and sheik's do it when G&W is recovering. Something cool to prevent SD's... you kno that QA has two parts already... well if you QA the first half into a ledge and in sweetspot zone you'll automatically sweetspot even if you buffer input the QA in another direction for the second half.

Like... QA to ledge > release and QA to ledge again for 3 times. Visually you look like you're just aiming for the edge, but you're actually inputting (for example) right and then diagonal up right. If you gimp the opponent, you gain a stock advantage, if the opponent sweetspots before you, you still get back on stage. :p

With your experience, you should be able to gimp most G&W's with good timing... lol.

Hope your pika ventures continue looking great.

Sincerely,
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, now not a fledgeling smashboards'er

stingers

Smash Obsessed
LDPK!

Why weren't you at HERB? D:

Well anyways I'm finally taking your advice and learning Pikachu.

Get at me =)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
*scared to post*

its vs a GW.
You're playing more Pika now? =O Yay!

I don't really have anything to add to what everyone else said.... you were obviously better than whoever this was, so it's hard to critique, lol. I agree with Ussi, though: using that much projectile vs. a better G&W player will hurt you a lot more than it did in this match.

Post some videos where you're losing or having a harder time at least, and we'll probably be able to help you out more.

Killachu ftw.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
thanks for the advice LP.

Yea i play pika a bit now just not everything got recorded. This was on random select lol.

Yea im aware of the projectile stuff. I just adapt to players styles after awhile. I'll try to get more pika vids.

Kroova

Smash Rookie

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
good use of pika you seem pretty good...try full hopping the bairs, so you have less lag when landing, and good use of qac (all based off match one, i'm in class i can't watch more atm) how you didn't die on last stock was puzzling cuz i didn't see a tech but good pika nonetheles. someone else will prolly rate better than i

edit: rewatched it, also try f-throw to usmash if you can't chain 2 f-throws good pivot grabs :]

edit2:you might wanna edit the title ofthe youtube videos, 4and 5 aren't vs lucas

Skittleman

Smash Rookie
Your pretty good with Pikachu

I would say you need more tilts in your game you use forward a lot but not a lot of dtilt or utilt. Those are good moves so use them. You also need a little practice with Quick attack I saw you kill yourself a couple times. Good Pika some one else could probably add to this.

~Kyte

Smash Cadet
blitz, i only watched the first few vids, but some things that would help you alot i think are...

QAC! you quick attack alot, you can cancel that into an aerial for more versatile approaches, retreats, punishes, etc

movement! you stand still alot, it makes you more predictable, and easier to get hit in general, even if they arent near you, spam tjolt, randomly qac, something of that nature, i have this problem myself alot actually XD

with the tjolt spamming you did do, it can get predicatable, try moving while ur spamming, screws up peoples timing

another thing is, dont hesitate to punish, like when the bowser uses his downsmash, you waited till the lag was over to punish, dont wait!

basically if you speed up your pika, you game will improve ALOT!
(and dont spam skull bash =D)

lol thats my take on it at least, trust the better pika's over me

Arikie

Smash Journeyman

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Oh god, three people I have yet to critique. =O! I'll try to get to all of these tonight, starting with Kroova since I meant to watch those a while ago.... busy and/or tourney johns are legit, right?

More Pikas need to critique. :mad: Usually it's just me, Ussi, and Cam (altho I saw yours too, Kyte & Piman!)....

I know there's more good Pikas around here who could at least give a tip or two.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Ok, Blitz, I watched all five of your videos, and I just took a few notes while I was watching.

First of all, you quick attack too much without cancelling it. In fact, I don't think I ever saw you cancel it. Doing this left you open for punishment again and again. You need to cancel it next time by jumping as soon as you hit the ground. You can use aerials, tjolts, thunder, etc out of QACing.

I think this has been said, but I'll just reemphasize it: you should not stand still as much as you did. If you are trying to think of an approach, then back off and pressure your opponent with tjolts while your thinking. Also, with your tjolt usage, you mostly used them well. I did note however that you would sometimes use tjolts when your opponent was right below you. This is a no-no because they can get easily take advantage of your vulnerability and hit you.

In one of the first videos, you used skull bash offensively a ton. I wouldn't recommend this because it's trajectory is predictable, and it's easy to avoid/punish.

Now for thunder usage. You were a little careless when using thunder at times, and like everything else I've addressed, it left you wide open for punishment. Thunder is a great move, but if you're hitting an opponent on the ground or close to the ground, you have to be more aware of the platforms above you. A few times, I watched you thunder to hit your opponent, and the platform saved them. Not only were they saved, but they smashed you across the stage.

Ok, my last bit of criticism before I go to praise. When you were playing Ike, you got waaay too agressive. You would quick attack into him and not cancel it (not that you should qac much against Ike either). You would be the one to approach him most of the time, and he took advantage of that. You would roll around him to find a good angle, and he would just charge a forward smash and wait for you to roll into it. Once you let him take the offensive, you began to play a lot better. Remember, Brawl is a defensive game. You should have pressured the Ike with more tjolts and baited him into attacking you.

Now, there were some things I liked about your pika. My favorite thing was that you actually utilized bair. True, sometimes you would do it too close to the ground and have landing lag, but you effectively used it to get people off of platforms, which is what you are supposed to do. Another excellent part of your game was your short hop dair usage. Your opponent never seemed to expect it, and it worked well. Last thing I'll say, good job using Pikachu's sexy chaingrab. You really took advantage of the fact the other player didn't expect you to pummel so much and didn't even try to get out of the grab. Bravo.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Arkie,

Your Pikachu is great. I watched the first two matches with Marth and part of the first Snake match. I really can't think of anything to critique. You have good strategies, good tech skill, etc. All I can think to say is don't use skull bash to recover against Marth because he can gimp it pretty easily. Yet, you didn't even use skull bash that much in the matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom