• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Gravity

Smash Ace
wait something going down tomorrow as in monday? might be down for that. i could give powa and gt rides if i go.

not sure if im gonna go yet though so yeah, just want to see if something happening tomorrow

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Yo can someone post the thread up on OKgamers for me who has like an OK gamers account? Same with SRK <_<

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
Yo can someone post the thread up on OKgamers for me who has like an OK gamers account? Same with SRK <_<
Already did the OK gamers one. At 3:30 in the morning no less. Bwahaha ever notice how all Wario players are hilarious and goofy people? (Have you seen DMG's braces?). And the new tier list was exactly why I didn't want Wario moved up (curse you Fiction, DMG, and Phantom!) but yes it will be sad to beat down all the new tier ***** Warios. No imposters allowed!

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
heh, if i get cocky enough. ill wario ditto some people.

i dont play by the rules ;)

kpeezy

Smash Cadet
If anyone wants to come play give me a call or post on here. Or just come over.

Last edited:

6HyPeR9

Smash Cadet
So like, I found out SSB came out on the VC in Europe yesterday.

Any bets when we'll get it?
I say next month.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
So like, I found out SSB came out in Europe yesterday.

Any bets when we'll get it?
I say next month.
You might want to specify that you're talking about the virtual console. Because I had no idea what you were talking about when I first read that.

I'm still waiting on Earthbound for the virtual console, though at this point I'm not really convinced that it's ever going to happen.

Tom is the ultimate imposter.

6HyPeR9

Smash Cadet
You might want to specify that you're talking about the virtual console. Because I had no idea what you were talking about when I first read that.

I'm still waiting on Earthbound for the virtual console, though at this point I'm not really convinced that it's ever going to happen.

Tom is the ultimate imposter.
They need to give a lot of good games out, but as we all know, Nintendo wont rash out the good stuff til they're money bank is slowing down.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
on the VC rpomotional poster i saw nick and tom...so i am just waiting for snow bros to come out. capcom's bubble bobble is too good.

i might also ring you later, KP.

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
So since we are in the tournament mood, I have decided to take time to discuss June monthly. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to hide the date and location of this event from you guys. Here is my explanation. The WHOLE purpose of the summer Norman monthlies is to find competition and encourage them to go to OH SNAP. With that in mind I decided that it would be in the best interest of OH SNAP to have June monthly be as non-competitive as possible. By non-competitive, I mean no high ranking players from our crew attending. I was very serious about this decision and still feel strongly about it now. I also decided that not telling you guys about all this would be more polite and less of a hassle then to ask you not to attend. I was afraid some of you would not take me seriously and would show up to the tournament only to have me to tell you to go home. (Which I still plan to do if you do show up) I have already asked Tom and Bryan not to attend (because they found out) and they graciously said they would not. However, Yawara suggested that the scrubs (if I may call them so) have someone to look up to and a level of skill to work toward. With that in mind, I have asked Grant and Kuni to attend the tournament both because they will not destroy the scrubs completely like some of the rest of you *glares at Chris and Tom* (I myself will not compete). I still do not wish to saturate the tournament with too many good players, but I guess I do not have a problem with KingGt and PowaStar attending (just bring equipment). So, these are the people that I will ABSOLUTELY not let into the tournament under any circumstances: Chris, Tom, Hanson, Brian, Po, Marcus, Haley, Bassem, Young Deezy, Alex, Brett, Chuck Nasty, Afro, FK, Saif, Lion, any OOS people, and anyone else that I personally know but have forgotten to list. If you aren't allowed to attend the tournament, think of it as you being too good to play. If not, think of it as easy money taking from scrubs. I hope you guys all understand, I do not want to repeat what Saif experienced with the Tulsa community dying quickly. I promise to make it all up to you guys in July. I will try to get Dallas to come and that monthly will definitely be for us and will serve to weed out the scrubs that will make matches go well at OH SNAP from those that will slow the whole tournament down by leaving during pools. Thanks for understanding!

po pimpus

Smash Ace
LOL @ anyone considering me TOO GOOD (My ego has been satiated this day)

I completely understand that mindset, Daniel, and I will respect the decision to let the rookies fight amongst themselves. I don't think I would have been able to make this one anyway. I was actually going to discuss something like this with you next time I saw you, because I think we needed something akin to another
"Training Day" like we had back in the Melee days when South_Paw still roamed these parts.

I'll back off, so the new kids can learn.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
alex and brett can't go to a brawl tournament?

OH NOES!!!!! :( daniel, you're so mean to the melee kids. i'm going to come anyway with a fake moustache so you can't tell who i am.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Alex, just do like Chevy Chase in Fletch... the so-called master of disguise.

LOL @ the 80's. I'm black, so all I have to do is put on a hat. That way everyone will think I'm a rapper of some sort.

kpeezy

Smash Cadet
So since we are in the tournament mood, I have decided to take time to discuss June monthly. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to hide the date and location of this event from you guys. Here is my explanation. The WHOLE purpose of the summer Norman monthlies is to find competition and encourage them to go to OH SNAP. With that in mind I decided that it would be in the best interest of OH SNAP to have June monthly be as non-competitive as possible. By non-competitive, I mean no high ranking players from our crew attending. I was very serious about this decision and still feel strongly about it now. I also decided that not telling you guys about all this would be more polite and less of a hassle then to ask you not to attend. I was afraid some of you would not take me seriously and would show up to the tournament only to have me to tell you to go home. (Which I still plan to do if you do show up) I have already asked Tom and Bryan not to attend (because they found out) and they graciously said they would not. However, Yawara suggested that the scrubs (if I may call them so) have someone to look up to and a level of skill to work toward. With that in mind, I have asked Grant and Kuni to attend the tournament both because they will not destroy the scrubs completely like some of the rest of you *glares at Chris and Tom* (I myself will not compete). I still do not wish to saturate the tournament with too many good players, but I guess I do not have a problem with KingGt and PowaStar attending (just bring equipment). So, these are the people that I will ABSOLUTELY not let into the tournament under any circumstances: Chris, Tom, Hanson, Brian, Po, Marcus, Haley, Bassem, Young Deezy, Alex, Brett, Chuck Nasty, Afro, FK, Saif, Lion, any OOS people, and anyone else that I personally know but have forgotten to list. If you aren't allowed to attend the tournament, think of it as you being too good to play. If not, think of it as easy money taking from scrubs. I hope you guys all understand, I do not want to repeat what Saif experienced with the Tulsa community dying quickly. I promise to make it all up to you guys in July. I will try to get Dallas to come and that monthly will definitely be for us and will serve to weed out the scrubs that will make matches go well at OH SNAP from those that will slow the whole tournament down by leaving during pools. Thanks for understanding!
You're ****ing ********.

Tyrannosaurus

Smash Cadet
LOL @ anyone considering me TOO GOOD (My ego has been satiated this day)

I completely understand that mindset, Daniel, and I will respect the decision to let the rookies fight amongst themselves. I don't think I would have been able to make this one anyway. I was actually going to discuss something like this with you next time I saw you, because I think we needed something akin to another
"Training Day" like we had back in the Melee days when South_Paw still roamed these parts.

I'll back off, so the new kids can learn.
I can understand it, but I think it's silly.

WHOOP WHOOP I DONT EVEN PLAY HERE COMES AN OPINION THAT DOESNT MATTER (seriously)

But the way I see it, it's not just about being able to have fun and win. Actually, I don't think it's about that at all. If the purpose is to build up the scene and meet chill fellas, then effectively barring everyone active in the scene from going is counterproductive.

I mean, imagine the scenario. You get there, you don't play seriously (or maybe you do, but with a couple buddies only), and you find out nobody else there plays seriously either. You win or lose, and that's that. Compare with getting there, seeing a tight group of dudes having fun and playing seriously, and you lose. But, one of the guys you played is Chris, and he thrashed you and now you want to get better, instead of barely losing and thinking you're pretty good but you don't see any reason to play seriously. Or you play Brandon, and the whole time you're wondering what the hell this crazy mother****er's up to, how the heck did he win like that, that's ********. And I haven't met anyone through Smash that I don't like, so there's that too.

It's not about seeding the thing with strong players, it's about seeding it with strong people to attract new players. There's no way to build up a scene if you don't represent. I know that's why you asked Grant and Kevin to show, but two guys is the same as zero guys in this regard, I think. Even if they say, "yeah there's smashfests all the time in norman, come whenever," whatever, telling someone that stuff goes down isn't the same as bringing the evidence.

Honestly I think a simple "don't bring your A-game" would be a lot more helpful than "stay out of this monthly".

Besides, even if someone did decide to never come back because Chris wrecked him, that someone probably wasn't very cool to begin with if they're takin the game that way.

But as I said above, I don't even play or interact with the scene outside of showing up at smashfests, so I won't be offended if anyone says I'm full of ****.

edit: holy **** i said "scene" a lot, lol

po pimpus

Smash Ace
****, Michael's a friggin' genius. You're like that one guy in superhero/action shows... You know, the one guy who doesn't have any powers, but for some reason the other heroes let hang out with them and the bad guys are all, "You don't even have powers, you're a joke" and then, the guy pwns them with some relatively simple tactic or common sense.

Yeah, you're like Snarf to our Thundercats, Michael. SNARF!

Scud

Smash Apprentice
That's right, I do beast at brawl.

Good job Michael :).
Good thoughts Daniel.

Vectorman, how can we arrange to meet up?
Can I have some contact info? Phone, email, SN?

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Lol @ me being b&.

Like I would show up anyways. I flake out of everything because I'm scared of getting Brandon first round.
You don't have to worry about that, Dillon. I always wind up with like M2K, or Dojo as my first two opponents, so I wind up getting two-pieced before I can even get a glance at quarter-finals...

But, for OHSNAP, I don't care if I've got M2K, Chris, Hanson, Fiction, DSF, and Cyber-Raptor Jesus Himself in pools, I'm three-stocking the lot of them and taking this ****, FOR REALZ.

*Plays Rocky Theme*

Which reminds me, I was playing Punch-Out Wii, and when I got done, Rocky Balboa (the newest one) was on. Made me hyped as hell for OHSNAP, and is kind of a parallel for my Smash experience thus far.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I'll have to find a way to arrange w/most of you alot more easily.. Ummm sad to say but i'm not into Brawl like AT ALL... and seems to me most of this thread is all Brawl =/.........Idk maybe next weekend we can all do something..

i'd really like to play all of you! n n

Scud

Smash Apprentice
I'll have to find a way to arrange w/most of you alot more easily.. Ummm sad to say but i'm not into Brawl like AT ALL... and seems to me most of this thread is all Brawl =/.........Idk maybe next weekend we can all do something..

i'd really like to play all of you! n n
Errr, did you see my post?
Like other posts have said, our melee scene mainly consists of me and Alex (Hazygoose), while Chris sometimes plays (though should more like everyone else?).

Gravity

Smash Ace
what i want to know is where all the too good people are going to hang the day of the monthly

also dan, how the **** did you get in contact with kevin.

ive been trying to talk to him for like a week now but he seems to be avoiding me like the plague

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice

WHOOP WHOOP I DONT EVEN PLAY HERE COMES AN OPINION THAT DOESNT MATTER (seriously)

But the way I see it, it's not just about being able to have fun and win. Actually, I don't think it's about that at all. If the purpose is to build up the scene and meet chill fellas, then effectively barring everyone active in the scene from going is counterproductive.

I mean, imagine the scenario. You get there, you don't play seriously (or maybe you do, but with a couple buddies only), and you find out nobody else there plays seriously either. You win or lose, and that's that. Compare with getting there, seeing a tight group of dudes having fun and playing seriously, and you lose. But, one of the guys you played is Chris, and he thrashed you and now you want to get better, instead of barely losing and thinking you're pretty good but you don't see any reason to play seriously. Or you play Brandon, and the whole time you're wondering what the hell this crazy mother****er's up to, how the heck did he win like that, that's ********. And I haven't met anyone through Smash that I don't like, so there's that too.

It's not about seeding the thing with strong players, it's about seeding it with strong people to attract new players. There's no way to build up a scene if you don't represent. I know that's why you asked Grant and Kevin to show, but two guys is the same as zero guys in this regard, I think. Even if they say, "yeah there's smashfests all the time in norman, come whenever," whatever, telling someone that stuff goes down isn't the same as bringing the evidence.

Honestly I think a simple "don't bring your A-game" would be a lot more helpful than "stay out of this monthly".

Besides, even if someone did decide to never come back because Chris wrecked him, that someone probably wasn't very cool to begin with if they're takin the game that way.

But as I said above, I don't even play or interact with the scene outside of showing up at smashfests, so I won't be offended if anyone says I'm full of ****.

I see your point Michael but I dont care.

And Kuni has not answered me Andy.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Don't sweat the small stuff and move on. Let's just focus on Oh Snap for us now and let Daniel handle the June Monthly. It's him running it anyway, so it's his rules. The July one I'll take over and open up to everyone so **** kids there.

Also, I need volunteers for different things, fliers, banner for the thread, sigs, housing arrangements, etc. I'll probably make a facebook thing about it so guys who have facebook, be sure to check?

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice

Gah sorry, was leaving my girlfriend's place to head home. I think it is more fair to flesh out my answer to Micheal's eloquent argument. In all honesty, I do care about what you have to say and I actually agree with alot of things that you say. I do think that to attract strong players, especially ones with potential, we have to do exactly what you have suggested. In fact, Gmo and I actually were inspired after getting thrashed at the Stillwater tournament to get better at the game and in turn met everyone that we know today. But 2 things: 1) From personal experience, when there are too many strong players in a setting, this tends to destroy morale quickly and even players with potential but low confidence will not return. I use Tulsa monthly, which was quickly wiped out of natives thanks to the overwhelming Norman presence in about as short as 3 months, and Tom as examples. Trust me, even I wanted to quit at a time after getting beat on by him over and over. 2) Besides scoping out potential players, the monthlies is to encourage scrubs to go to OH SNAP and feed the pot. As awful as that sounds, it would be much more effective to encourage more people to go to OH SNAP if less strong players are playing in the monthly. You yourself Micheal have said this. If someone gets beat hard and doesn't want to play anymore, they may not be cool, but that is a potential 15 bucks lost. I am doing this as more of a reaction to what I saw happen to Tulsa. I personally do think that strong competition is the best method of attracting good players but besides myself and Gmo, I have yet to see this theory work effectively. I don't pretend to know how people operate but I have decided to try a different way to pull in good players and that is to gradually introduce them to the competitive scene. Baby steps if you will. This I hope will boost people's confidence in themselves and also give them a perceived reachable goal of improvement to work toward. The more even you feel with a player, the more approachable they are I believe. A lot of people treat strong players, especially ones on another level than them, much differently than they do players which they feel are competitive equals. I know I felt that way about Chris and Hanson when I first saw them play. It didn't stop me from approaching them and eventually becoming friends, but it did take me longer to get more comfortable around them as opposed to Tom or Yawara. This is why I chose Gmo to go, because he has flashy skills that he can show off, and also because he is one of the coolest, nicest guys ever so you don't feel too intimidated. Same for Kuni, he is just some strange asian kid. This monthly is for me, just a different way of approaching certain problems. If it works and we get great numbers for July and August then great. If it doesn't well then at least we know not to try it again in the future.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Errr, did you see my post?
Like other posts have said, our melee scene mainly consists of me and Alex (Hazygoose), while Chris sometimes plays (though should more like everyone else?).
No no i saw it. sorry i thought you were gonna like.. confirm/not confirm or something.. i just don wanna go out that way if there would be notihn set up for me you know.. military only gives weekends "sniffle" and man, yeah it sucks.. Just it'd be nice to have a scene of well anyone play u know.. cpu's are kinda gettin well yeah. you know? lol

anyway hopefully next weekend we'll play.. You've an Aim or Msn I can contact you at?

Top Bottom