• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OK! Ness Q&A/Social Thread

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
thanks SWF >.>

:4dedede:

Last edited:

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
DJL is actually pretty easy

applying it is the tricky part

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haven't gone in the lab so much to try out DJL yet but

my next project is learning two kinds of matchups:
medium difficulty - floaty: puff, luigi, samus
high difficulty - small/fast: kirby, sonic, squirtle

any character that ness can combo can get destroyed. but it's these characters that have been giving me some trouble and have been exposing holes in my neutral game. the small/fast characters are particularly hard. they can match fox and falcon in speed, but are not nearly as prone to dying to a combo. they are very hard to hit with pk fire, and can space against ness' fair without a problem.

what do you guys think?

Bryonato

Green Hat
i think squirtle/sonic are fine for us. I can see us beating sonic too.

I think Kirby is even too, though I think Samus beats us, potentially really hard.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Sup Nesses. I used to play Melee/Brawl and used Ness in both, now I'm going to try to use him in PM (now that I'm done with college, that is.) I hope to learn a lot.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Welcome to the club. You're in luck, I'm doing a Ness Adv. Tech Showcase & Explanation stream in about an hour tonight.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
There's a skype group?
10fails
Skype Name: kdill893

Bean Yak

Smash Cadet
NNID
Catman789
I recently picked up ness, and I'm playing with my friend, and I feel like I might have found a few guarunteed combos, maybe, but it might just be my friend not knowing how to get out of them.

First off, a downthrow chaingrab. I try to downthrow, popping the opponent up, and I follow up with either a nair or a fair. This applies hitstun to where I can regrab right before he hits the floor. rinse, repeat. I'm sure this is known, but is it easy/possible to get out of, and for which characters? Are there any simple chaingrabs on certain characters?

Also, I try to spam downtilt, much like I've seen Axe spam jab, and I try to combo that straight into an Fmash. I don't always land the Fsmash, but I never seem to get punished for trying it.

I can't think of anything else, but I'll probably edit or update. Also, can we get a thread for DJLs if there's not one already?

Ahenobarbus

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, quick question about playing against Ness. It seems like whenever I get hit by Ness' dash attack, it leads to a free followup. I mean, even if it hits at low % I'm still stuck in hitstun from the third hit until I hit the ground. Is there a way to escape the attack once you've been hit, or should I just DI for the follow-up right when he hits me with it? My gut tells me that I can SDI the first or second hit, but idk what direction and which hit, etc. And I don't much feel like getting bopped by my friend until I find out. If it's something character specific, I usually play Marth, Ike, MK, Lucas in that order. Thanks.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Link and Sheik are pretty bad. Pit, potentially Samus. I have mixed feelings on Mario and m2.

Ness in general loses to sword characters

Apache

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I just picked up Ness and fell in love with his options, I am considering maining him. I'm wondering if someone could provide me a list of all his advanced techniques and the order that I should learn them. Any videos would be a ton of help as well. Thanks!

Fortress

Smash Master
What is it about the Sheik matchup that puts Ness at a disadvantage?
Ness's perfect weight. Chaingrabs for days on him, tilts leave him in juuuuuuuuuuuuust the perfect range for the perfect follow-ups, and dies to Sheik's hard-hitting options rather quickly. Sheik just outranges nearly all of his options.

Ness has superior aerial movement, and strong options out of them, but ground-to-ground Sheik can easily take the game, and she even has strong anti-air options in F/U-Tilt, and B-Air.

Last edited:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
sheik is rough but ness' combo game on sheik is devastating

to the guy who asked about escaping dash attack follow up: it's really hard to do. they made it so that the move combos easily. but if you are on the outer side of the initial hitbox, you can DI or SDI away so that you stay on the ground, and it's basically a free punish if the last hit whiffs. it's a huge commitment for ness and requires initiative/guesswork, so if you have good ground spacing and defense and punish some bad dash attacks, usually ness won't go for the move at all.

Bryonato

Green Hat
In some cases you can get a bat after a really low djc fair. This works even better if you hit them off of a platform with it.

djc dair -> bat is also possible.

sometimes if you catch them sleeping you can dtilt -> bat

Fortress

Smash Master
PK Fire > Bat is kind of a tried-and-true way to build up a couple thousand damage off of one setup. I've been F-Thrown into it before, which caught me completely off guard. Unless you time your bat right, the combo is more about building up damage than it is killing.

Bryonato

Green Hat
if you're going for damage out of pkfire imo it's much better just to do instant djc dairs while they're trapped

Fortress

Smash Master
But PING, PING, PING, PING. D-air doesn't have that killer bat sound. D-air's probably better, but I imagine there's some stupid abomination of a mindgame out there where PK Fire > Sweetspot Bat creates a pure panic mode for the person trapped All that **** happening at once, and that sound. At least, that's the dream.

Last edited:

Aztek

Smash Rookie
Howdy! I've been playing Ness (and PM) since December, so I'm relatively new to the scene. Ness just kinda jibes well with me and linking combos out of PK fire. I've been lurking this board for a while and particular Bryonato's AT videos. (Much thanks BTW) What do you guys think is the most important thing to practice for a new-ish smasher?

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
Howdy! I've been playing Ness (and PM) since December, so I'm relatively new to the scene. Ness just kinda jibes well with me and linking combos out of PK fire. I've been lurking this board for a while and particular Bryonato's AT videos. (Much thanks BTW) What do you guys think is the most important thing to practice for a new-ish smasher?
Moving.
Just having the feel for how to move the character in any way you want will make you play significantly better. Wave dashing and dash dancing are important tools to keep your opponents guessing and helps you retaliate against poorly spaced maneuvers.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Moving.
Just having the feel for how to move the character in any way you want will make you play significantly better. Wave dashing and dash dancing are important tools to keep your opponents guessing and helps you retaliate against poorly spaced maneuvers.
yeah just focus on your fundamentals with movement right now, mostly importantly L-cancelling imo. The better you understand and can perform movement without having to think about it, the easier the game becomes. It's much easier to just fight your opponent, not your opponent AND the game.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
So out of all the versions of Project M, which version of Ness considered the best? ( I was thinking either 2.5b or his current build)

Last edited:

Bryonato

Green Hat
Ness has received virtually no changes from 2.5 -> 3.0. In 2.5 he was arguably the best because he could jump out of absorb lag.

Top Bottom