• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Yoshi CG List ""FRAME DATA INFO CHANGED A FEW THINGS"" (Updated on 9/29/09)

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Groundbreaking theory: I have done no testing, just put in some thought:

Ok, so Yoshi is now the second fastest ground speed character with DT, right? The CG on Meta is really easy, right? possible DT to pivot grab infinite on MK?
Dude I've been testing this out for the last week but it's so hard to do I don't have ant results yet :p

Browny

Smash Hater
so i was thinking... is Yoshis CG only really applicable to FD, and to a lesser extent, smashville? It seems to me the vast number of CP stages and majority of other neutral stages render this CG useless :/

D

Deleted member

so i was thinking... is Yoshis CG only really applicable to FD, and to a lesser extent, smashville? It seems to me the vast number of CP stages and majority of other neutral stages render this CG useless :/
It depends on the character. Also, being below yoshi on a platform usually isnt good.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Some Characters are unaffected by most Platforms (Squirtle, Falco, Ganondorf, Bowser). Also there's quite a bit of stages where the Chaingrab can still most likely get to end to end (Yoshi's Island Melee/Brawl, Pokemon Stadium 1/2, Castle Siege, Delfino, Corneria, Distant Planet, Green Hill Zone, Pictochat, Luigi's Mansion, Pirate Ship)

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Wow Mmac I didn't know all of those stages work thanks for pointing that out I should make a section on the OP that say the stages that it works on.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Wow Mmac I didn't know all of those stages work thanks for pointing that out I should make a section on the OP that say the stages that it works on.
I only listed those stages because the platform is either too high to interfere with most characters, or the platform is too small to effectively stop a chaingrab

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I think Snake can escape, but it seems to have to be perfectly timed.

If Yoshi buffers, that makes it much harder for those in red lettering to escape.

MUCH harder.

Don't buffer against Meta Knight, though, LOL. You'll grab too quickly!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Dude, okay...

Like...

...hmmm.

Some of these are really hard to do. Is anybody else having success with buffers from the grab release? The timing is ******** hard and I find as I play some characters just...won't....get regrabbed. o_0 I'm sure they work, I just...don't know...when to...hmm... =_=

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Not really a trick to it.

You just have to know when the IASA frames for whatever action you are performing occur and you can buffer out of anything. You just spot the IASA frames and queue up a motion just a few frames before the IASA frames and you can shoot an action into the queue to take place once the move ends.

Well, I guess the only real trick is that to buffer dashes, you have to double tap the control stick. That is to say, you have to buffer with a "smash" on the control stick (during the frames where you can buffer an action into the queue) and then "smash" the control stick again (during the actual frames where you can input the dash action, so during IASA or afterwards) in order to continue the dashing motion. I could explain why and all these things, but suffice it to say that if you don't perform the double tap and get the dash in queue without following up, you'll perform the dash lunge, but have no actual dashing.

This is where I'm having trouble, as I'm very inconsistent, it seems, with buffering out of Yoshi's grab release animation. I guess I could fix that with time, but I can perform buffered **** out of other characters' tricksies with little to no effort on the first or second tries, so I was wondering if I was the only person having this problem.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
:yoshi: Dude, okay...

Like...

...hmmm.

Some of these are really hard to do. Is anybody else having success with buffers from the grab release? The timing is ******** hard and I find as I play some characters just...won't....get regrabbed. o_0 I'm sure they work, I just...don't know...when to...hmm... =_=
I have no trouble it just takes time to perfectly time.

Mmac

Smash Lord
You know, You might actually be able to Fthrow CG Fox, but I haven't really tested it fully, but I Have tested it with a person shortly, and it might be possible

SOVAman

Smash Hero
You know, You might actually be able to Fthrow CG Fox, but I haven't really tested it fully, but I Have tested it with a person shortly, and it might be possible
hmmm......sounds.....interesting....let me know when you can get a 100% sure answer.

Flagelants

Smash Rookie
Dunno if this is the right thread..

Anyway, i have noticed that you can chaingrab almost all characters, by doing a forward throw and then picking them up with a dash grab at low percentages. Especially the heavy characters.

Can they get out? Am i wrong?

Hi btw, Im flage, i have started using Yoshi recently.

Chaco

Never Logs In
No that is not possible, many character can DI right after the fthrow.

Chaco

Never Logs In
DP sorry.

But I've read something that might change the ZSS CG. She can escape with down B, if pressed fast enough and at the right time. Test it out please.

TheYoster

Smash Journeyman
DP sorry.

But I've read something that might change the ZSS CG. She can escape with down B, if pressed fast enough and at the right time. Test it out please.
I actually tried the CG on a real good ZSS( Snakee). I couldn't get the CG down because he kept getting out with down B. I've also tried boost grabing but still no go. Maybe she deserves to be on the hard CG side.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I have CG snake's with Fthrow at low percentages, sometimes you can get in 2 throws before they realize to DI up as DIing down puts them in grab range again...then again you could just do the normal CG where it's up to you to make the mistake.

Mmac

Smash Lord
DP sorry.

I actually tried the CG on a real good ZSS( Snakee). I couldn't get the CG down because he kept getting out with down B. I've also tried boost grabing but still no go. Maybe she deserves to be on the hard CG side.
I already tried that, and it doesn't really work. You can still grab her before she can recover and do it, and even if she does, you can just regrab her out of the flipjump, or Usmash her if she goes behind you.

On the videos i've seen against Snakeee, Yoster, I saw that you were late on the grab both times you tried to do it. You didn't Dash and Grab at the same time.

Also I concluded that Fox is probably the only one that can be Fthrow Chained

SOVAman

Smash Hero
For now she is officially on hard.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Also I was on AIB and looking at the Yoshi Char specifics and say that they literally copied and pasted the list lol **** AIB.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Umm, the ZSS is chain is near impossible to pull off, and can be escaped at times. You gotta be good to keep up the CG, and/or escape.

Chaco

Never Logs In
No believe, me, you can flip jump out of it completely, and counter with a tether whip. and also, you can down B, to dair.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
No believe, me, you can flip jump out of it completely, and counter with a tether whip. and also, you can down B, to dair.
Bet it works

I have just tested it with my Super Good Dash And Grab Buffering and the CG works.

Also I had my tester mash down B and even try to perfect time the Down B and all her other B moves she can't get out dude.

Just buffer your grabs better.

Mmac

Smash Lord
You can't SideB out of a DownB. How did you get that? Plus, you can't do ANY of those things in Flip Jump

Also, you know how hard it is to CG her online in lag?

Plus, everytime you did it, I just simply regrabed you, just like I said in both here and in the ZSS board

Chaco

Never Logs In
You can't SideB out of a DownB. How did you get that? Plus, you can't do ANY of those things in Flip Jump

Also, you know how hard it is to CG her online in lag?

Plus, everytime you did it, I just simply regrabed you, just like I said in both here and in the ZSS board
I meant I jumped out and then side B'd. To keep you from the regrab.

Plus true, still it's a hard CG

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
yea, a lot of characters can just jump out of it,

I personally don't pay attention to the list as only like 4 of the characters can REALLY be chain-grabbed >.>

SOVAman

Smash Hero
yea, a lot of characters can just jump out of it,

I personally don't pay attention to the list as only like 4 of the characters can REALLY be chain-grabbed >.>
The whole list is easy to do except the hard ones which some people can do. But, most people can still CG the hard people.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I'd like to request Falco be removed from this list.
We all know he CAN escape it and, assuming our opponents are at high levels of play, he WILL escape it.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
The whole list is easy to do except the hard ones which some people can do. But, most people can still CG the hard people.
lol no its not,
the only characters on the list that cant be CG'd are falcon ganon diddy meta and squirtle,
its not helping yoshi if every yoshi player thinks yoshi is something he's not ><

Mmac

Smash Lord
Uh, All the people on that list can be Chaingrabbed. It's already been proved multiple times

Also, Falco can't escape. I thought we already went through that

Chaco

Never Logs In
Did anyone every realize that you can egg lay in between grabs, and pivot for the chain...I think it might work.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
Uh, All the people on that list can be Chaingrabbed. It's already been proved multiple times

Also, Falco can't escape. I thought we already went through that
he can, as well as most of the people on that list! LOL!!

if yoshi really had an infinite on wario
if yoshi could really spike snake out of grab release
if yoshi could literally chain-grab all of his bad match-ups,
don't you think that some of the better players would have picked up on this and started maining yoshi?

it's not because "they haven't realized yoshi's potential" it's because they know yoshi can't chaingrab all the characters on that list.

Mmac, i'm not trying to berate you or offend you in any way, i'm doing this because if we realize what yoshi does have then we can focus on and expand it, instead of wasting time trying to prove something thats wrong. I can't think of any tournaments that you have been to irl, and i hear you play on wifi a lot, but maybe thats why you are convinced that yoshi can chaingrab these characters.

I'm pretty consistent in going to tournaments both here in houston and out of state and i know that i could never win a match by chaingrabbing a snake because it's impossible, i've tried this on half the roster with professional players around the country and they figure out pretty fast theres ways out of it.

I've even talked to other yoshi players about this and they agree with me that it can't be done (not going to call names) but looking at their results it's these players that typically have the most consistent yoshi results, this is because they are aware of yoshi's strengths and weaknesses, and know what he can and can't do.

I'm not going to stop maining yoshi but i think you guys need to really look at this list again :/

Mmac

Smash Lord
You can grab them before they recover from the Release. That's the entire point of it. I don't think this has anything relative to Wifi or not at all (Especially since I test it offline too).

Exactly what proof that you have that the chaingrab is impossible to do on almost every character on the list? You say that they're well aware by now, but even that, how is it possible when you're grabbing them when they're still in the grab release stun. Unless you found some sort of cancel (And if thats the case, go to the Ness, Lucas, and Wario Boards right now!), they can't escape.

Even the Victims on the list you disagree with believe that it can be done. You can ask anyone on that list about it (Except maybe ZSS, they're still convinced that they can get out of it with DownB), and they'll tell you that it'll be done.

And what "Yoshi"s have you talked to that completely agree that this doesn't work? The only one I've seen you talk to is Burntsocks (Who pretty much disagrees and contests everything I do), and even he agrees that this works on the majority of the list

Top Bottom